Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 06:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MT VOID, 10/07/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 15, Whole Number 2244
From: evelynch...@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:30 UTC

THE MT VOID
10/07/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 15, Whole Number 2244

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mleeper@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, eleeper@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
THE PRINCESS BRIDE (film review by Mark R. Leeper)
NEOM by Lavie Tidhar (book review by Joe Karpierz)
THE WAR THAT MADE THE ROMAN EMPIRE by Barry Strauss
(book review by Gregory Frederick)
This Week's Reading (THE LIBRARY BOOK) (book comments
by Evelyn C. Leeper)

TOPIC: THE PRINCESS BRIDE (film review by Mark R. Leeper)

[In honor of THE PRINCESS BRIDE's 35th anniversary on October 7,
here is Mark's original review of that film.]

Capsule review: William Goldman expertly wrote a twisted
fairy-tale novel and Rob Reiner did a great job of bringing it to
the screen. Fun and unpretentious.

One of the advantages of being a proficient and successful writer
is that you can write what you like and do not have to worry that
this idea is too silly and readers will laugh at it. One of the
advantages of being a proficient and successful director is that
you can make the kind of films you like and do not have to worry
that the idea is too silly for audiences. William Goldman has
written such successful books as NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, MAGIC,
MARATHON MAN, and SOLDIER IN THE RAIN. So when he decides to write
a book-length fairy tale, his publisher knows he can pull it off.
And when Rob Reiner, who was not much of an actor but as a director
of three films--the worst of which was as good as THE SURE
THING--wants to direct it, he isn't going to have too much trouble
getting up the mazuma to make a fairy-tale movie.

Princess--are you ready for this?--Buttercup (played by Robin
Wright) is to be the unfortunate bride of Prince Humperdinck
(played by FRIGHT NIGHT's Chris Sarandon). But the only man she
has ever loved was the callow youth Westley (played by Cary Elwes
of LADY JANE) who was killed off-screen by a notorious pirate.
Buttercup would like revenge on the pirate and she isn't too fond
of her fiance either. And speaking of revenge, Inigo Montoya
(played by Mandy Patinkin) would like some against the six-fingered
man who killed his father. They could get revenge together but
unfortunately Inigo's current job involves him and two friends,
including Fezzik the giant (played by Andre the also Giant)
kidnapping and murdering Buttercup. Then there's the little boy
who would rather play videogames than listen to his grandfather's
story. Yeah, well, he's in there too.

It is hard to find fault with as well-meaning and enjoyable a film
as this offbeat fairy tale. The real problem is that the
characters are flat so that one is never really drawn into the
story. Reiner can create characters we like and believe, and had
he done it here the film would have been just about perfect. As it
is, the story feels a little thin and too short for its material.
Something is wrong when the only one likable character is played by
a quarter-ton of professional wrestler.

Beyond that all I can say is this is the most fun you will have in
a film for quite a while. I could tell you why this fractured
fairy tale is fun, but most of what is fun catches you off-guard.
I couldn't convey the fun and I'd probably ruin the gags. Rate the
movie a +2 on the -4 to +4 scale.

[-mrl]

TOPIC: NEOM by Lavie Tidhar (copyright 2022, Tachyon Publications,
224 pages, paperback, ISBN-10: 1616963824, ISBN-13: 978-1616963828)
(book review byJoe Karpierz)

Lavie Tidhar's new novel (to be published in November 2022), NEOM,
is hard to describe, let alone review. It takes place in Tidhar's
Central Station universe, but Central Station itself does not play
much of a role in the book; in fact, it is only mentioned a few
times. What NEOM is, among other things, is yet another love
letter to science fiction of the past. It is no secret that Tidhar
grew up on and loves old science fiction, and he pays homage to it
here again, just as he did in CENTRAL STATION. NEOM takes place
not far from Central Station, and it is a destination for one of
the characters, Saleh, who wishes to get there to leave the planet
and head to the stars. (As a side note, there is a futuristic city
of dreams being built in Saudi Arabia, itself called Neom. The
dreams it will purportedly hold, when complete, will be similar to
what the denizens of the novel of the same name encounter when they
get there. I was completely unaware of this when I read the novel,
and only found out about it after I finished reading it.)

NEOM is a novel of many things: love, family, discovery, robots,
people just hoping to survive, police officers justifying their
existence, orphans, flowers, and much more. All of these thing
entwine and entangle with each other. Mariam and Nasir are
childhood friends; Nasir is a police officer questioning his job,
as all he does is write tickets for loitering. Mariam works
several odd and varied jobs trying to make ends meet. One of those
jobs is in a flower shop, where a robot comes in looking for a
rose. Unbeknownst to Mariam at the time, the nameless robot is
looking to resurrect the "golden man", something that is important
to him for more than one reason, and one of those reasons is very
surprising to him. The nameless robot reunites Mariam and Nasir;
Nasir has feeling for Mariam, and we see that the theme of love,
which runs throughout the novel, is a part of the story of these
two characters.

Each of the characters within NEOM have their own story, their own
reason why they contribute to the whole. While this is most likely
obvious to everyone, there are times that we don't think about that
until we are hit over the head with a metaphorical hammer. Saleh,
for example, has an artifact that he wants to sell in order to
generate the funds he needs to get to Central Station and leave the
planet. The artifact is believed to be something left over from a
long ago war waged by mechs, robots among them. A terrorartist
(the concept of the terrorartist brings one of the best lines of
the novel: "Terror, Rohini said, was art: if a bomb went off in a
crowded market and there was no one to broadcast and amplify the
experience, did it really go off?"), Nasu, comes to Neom for
reasons related to the golden man. And who is the golden man? We
find out that he is a weapon from the wars of the past, but why
does the nameless robot want to awaken him? And what will be the
power source that is the final piece of the puzzle that brings the
golden man to life? And what will the golden man do once he comes
to life (we get something of a clue as to what the golden man is to
the rest of the mechs with the line "The golden man raised its
hands, and the Red Sea, which was filled to the brim with the waste
and remains of smart matter, began to part at its command.",
invoking visions of Moses in the Old Testament.

As I said earlier, Tidhar uses NEOM to pay homage to past science
fiction novels: "A robot may not injure a human being or, through
inaction, allow a human being to come to harm..." and "Those who
follow the Way of Robot designate themselves with an R. prefix."
reminds us of Isaac Asimov. "What do robots dream about? Nasir
said", and "Do robots dream?" Nasir said, before he could stop
himself" bring up memories of Philip K. Dick. Tidhar also makes a
reference to Arthur C. Clarke, which the reader just might miss if
they were not paying attention, referring to "the forbidden moon of
Europa".

But Tidhar does provide commentary on the field today, with "They
do not like old things here, much. Always with the new. They
forget the new becomes the old, and that they will be just as old
and obsolete in their turn." In speaking about the world of today,
he says "in a world that was always connected there was enormous
value in being unplugged."

The more of Tidhar's work that I read, the more he becomes one of
my favorite writers. No, I haven't read everything of his, but at
some point I feel as if I will catch up and read all of it. He is
one of the outstanding writers of modern times in the field of
science fiction and fantasy. NEOM is a wonderful addition to the
field, and it should be read by all. [-jak]

TOPIC: THE WAR THAT MADE THE ROMAN EMPIRE: ANTONY, CLEOPATRA, AND
OCTAVIAN AT ACTIUM by Barry Strauss (book review by Gregory
Frederick)

Click here to read the complete article