Dear Lord: Please make my words sweet and tender, for tomorrow I may have to eat them.

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Re: Winners

SubjectAuthor
* WinnersDianeE
`* Re: WinnersSteve Mc
 +- Re: WinnersRWC
 +* Re: WinnersRoger Ford
 |+- Re: WinnersDianeE
 |+- Re: WinnersRWC
 |`* Re: WinnersRick Schubert
 | `* Re: WinnersBruce
 |  `* Re: WinnersRick Schubert
 |   `- Re: WinnersRWC
 `* Re: WinnersBruce
  +- Re: WinnersBruce
  +- Re: WinnersRWC
  `* Re: WinnersDianeE
   `- Re: WinnersRWC

1
Winners

<1ODbK.37769$x9Ea.17892@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25049&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25049

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Subject: Winners
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 18:26:05 -0400
 by: DianeE - Sun, 1 May 2022 22:26 UTC

Has anyone kept a list of the monthly winners of the 1947-63
"Obscurities" tournament? I wish I had!

Re: Winners

<y2EbK.452498$t2Bb.288386@fx98.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25051&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25051

Subject: Re: Winners
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:43:42 -0700
 by: Steve Mc - Sun, 1 May 2022 22:43 UTC

On 5/1/2022 3:26 PM, DianeE wrote:
> Has anyone kept a list of the monthly winners of the 1947-63
> "Obscurities" tournament?  I wish I had!

And spread sheets can do this too...

Feb 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
1. Shufflin' The Blues - T-Bone Walker - 26
2. Nothing But Love - Bobo Jenkins - 26
3. Fine And Mellow (Live) - Billie Holiday - 24
4. Work For My Baby - H-Bomb Ferguson - 24
An exciting and incredibly tight final!
T-Bone wins the tournament even though it did not finish first in the
second round or in the semi-finals, advancing both times on second place
finishes. It wins the tie breaker against Bobo by virtue of being ranked
higher on 6 of the 10 ballots. It also had 4 first place votes to just
one for Bobo. Both T-Bone and Bobo will be eligible for future Battle of
the Champions tournaments featuring the top 2 of each tournament.
Congrats to Steve and to Roger for great nominations.
Billie noses out H-Bomb for 3rd place by virtue of 4 first place votes
to just 1 for H-Bomb. The first tie breaker was 5-5, as each was ranked
higher on 5 of the 10 ballots.
All 4 records within just 2 points. Can't ask for much better than that.
See you all in a few days as we start the March nominations!
March 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
1. This I Know - Little Joe & The Thrillers - 32
2. Down In The Bottom - The Rockers - 29
3. Smooth Slow and Easy - Drivers - 26
4- Roll Baby Roll - Floyd Dixon - 23

Little Joe and the Thrillers killer ballad wins the contest! Even with
the person who nominated it (me) placing it last. A clear winner anyway.
The Rockers finish second. Both are eligible for a future tournament of
champions down the line. Floyd Dixon beat the Drivers in the semis, but
the Drivers takes third place here.
So, Roger is always a bridesmaid, never a bride, with two runner up
finishes now with his nominations. Although in February his record only
lost on a tie breaker.
Great tournament folks, and "This I Know" is now an acknowledged great
record in this group.
Start getting your items together for April, only a couple of weeks away.

April 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
1-Rich Woman - Li'l Millet - 29
2-I May Be Wrong - Little Johnny Jones & Chicago Hound Dogs - 28
3-Right Around The Corner - The '5' Royales - 27
4-Mama (Your Daughter Told A Lie On Me) - Five Keys - 26
Can't get much closer than one point apart in each spot. Jim's record
takes the April title with Roger again the runner up. Li'L Millet does
not win this without Dennis's first place ranking. Things also may have
been different if Geoff was still voting.
If Geoff had voted and had it Five Keys, '5' Royales, Johnny Jones,
Li'l Millet we would have had a 4 way tie at 30 points each.

May 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
1-(Every Time I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone - Roy Montrell - 35
2-Aw Shucks Baby - Tiny Topsy - 31
3-Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior - 27
4-If You Need Me - Fats Domino - 27
Roger joins the winner's circle with me, Steve and jim. Congarts!
Lenior noses out Fats on a tie breaker as they each had two first place
listings, but Lenior had more second place listings, 3 to 2.
Montrell and Topsy go into the field for an eventual tournament of
champions.

June 2019 FINAL RANKINGS:
1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 35
2. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer - 32
3. Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 30
4. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir - 23
Diane's record wins the June tournament and she joins the winner's
circle along with Bruce, Roger, Jim and Steve.
Who will be the first one to have a second winner?

July 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 28
2. Try Me One More Time - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - 27
3. Papa Ain't Salty - T-Bone Walker - 25
4. Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain - 20
The Du Droppers edge the Diablos to win the July tournament!
The Du Droppers beat the Diablos in the semi-finals 30 to 27. This time
there was just one point separating them, but the Du Droppers won again.
Steve's record won the first tournament back in February and now he's
the first player to have two winners.
Aug 2019
FINAL RANKINGS

1. I Need Your Kisses - Spaniels - 30
2. What Would I Do Without You - Ray Charles - 27
3. I Want To Know - Ray Charles - 27
4. Ever Since You've Been Gone - Hawks - 26
"What Would I Do Without You" edges "I Want To Know" on the tie breaker
as it was ranked higher on 7 of the 11 ballots.
Sept 2019
1. Do You Remember What You Did - Diablos - 33
2. I Don't Need You - James "Sugarboy" Crawford - 28
3. Let 'em Roll - Hank Ballard & Midnighters - 26
4. Boogie Woogie Teenage - Don Julian and the Meadowlarks - 23
Roger gets his second win. Brucie gets his first first overall runner up.
Sugarboy had a one point lead after the first 8 ballots, but it then
got snowed under, getting just third-fourth-fourth on the final 3
ballots while the Diablos got first-third-first to pull away.
Good tournament everybody!
We're still looking for our first white artist to make the finals. Even
Johnny Otis could not do it so far.

Oct 2019
FINAL RANKINGS

1. Come On (Part 1) - Earl King - 32
2. Not Going To Cry - "5" Royales - 27
3. Old MacDonald - Nolan Strong & Diablos - 26
4. Always A First Time - Earl King - 25
Let's welcome Frankie to the winner's circle!
"Come On" was the clear winner, with the other 3 songs bunched up
together. I think that's the first time my record ended up as the runner
up. All 4 items will be in the December tournament.
Nov 2019
1. Don't Leave Me Here To Cry - Supremes - 37 (Frank)
2. Hard Rockin' Daddy - The Down Beats (vcl Roy Nixon) - 28 (Roger)
3. Why Can't You Be True - Vernalls - 23 (Bruce)
4. Great Big Eyes - Archibald - 22 (Frank)

Dec 2019
1. (Every Time I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone - Roy Montrell - 34 (Roger)
2. Rich Woman - Li'l Millet - 28 (Jim)
3. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer - 25
4. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 23
Roy Montrell has our OBSCURE 1950s RECORD OF THE YEAR!
Congrats to Roger for nominating it. Once again it won its group
easily, by 6 points.
Great job by Jim with our runner-up, as the top two records are both on
Art Rupe's Specialty label.
The Mayer gets revenge on the Shep for the June final and takes third
place for Frank. Diane's Shep record ends up 4th.
Jan 2020
FINAL RANKINGS
1. Please Don't Tell 'Em - Blue Dots - 35
2. My Indian Red - Danny Barker - 26
3. Rockin' All Day - Jimmy McCracklin - 26
4. Don't Happen No More - Young Jessie - 23
As expected, Diane's Blue Dots record blew away the competition to take
the January Championship!
My Barker edges Jim's McCracklin in 1 6-5 tie breaker, and Diane's
Young Jessie flip side takes 4th place.
Four strong records that will appear in the year end tournament in
December.
Here is our champion at the link below.
http://images.45cat.com/the-blue-dots-please-dont-tell-em-ace-s.jpg
Feb 2020 FINAL RANKINGS

1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby - 25
2. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry - 23
3. You're My Desire - Equadors - 21 (5-4)
4. Shorty The Barber - Lou Millet - 21
Roger's Mercy Baby takes the title for February!
Mark's Joe Barry takes second, and Rick's Equadores edges Diane's
Millet in a 5-4 tie breaker for third place. Joe Barry would have won if
Rick had ranked it ahead of the Mercy Baby.
Exciting and very close tournament folks.
March 2020 FINAL RANKINGS

1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 25
2. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike - 23
3. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters - 22
4. Hey Little Girl - Frankie Lee Sims - 20

BRUCIE WINS!
It took a year, but I finally got my second win. And it's extra sweet
to win with a blues record.
Carl takes second with a great Savoy record. Diane avenges an earlier
loss to Sims as her Midnighters takes third, and Roger's Sims is 4th.
Great tournament, folks, lotta very good records.
April 2020
1. Pretty Bad Blues - Ronnie Self - 25
2. Let Me Tell You, Baby - Larry Williams - 23
3. 4. Fine Girls - J.B. Lenore - 21 (5-4)
4. My Love Is Here To Stay - Sammy Myers - 21
Steve is back in the Winner's Circle as we finally have our first white
winner with Ronnie Self. My Larry Williams was just 2 points back in
second place. Carl's Lenore edges Roger's Myers in a 5-4 tie breaker for
third place.
If I had ranked my own record first and the Self second the Self still
would have won in a tie breaker.
An extremely competitive final with just 4 points separating first and
last.

May 2020
FINAL RANKINGS - same as Roger's ballot!

Marked Deck - Mercy Baby - 24
Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos - 23 (5-4)
The Same Old Story - The Champions - 23
You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen - 20

Click here to read the complete article

Re: Winners

<jsfv6hdklitphgssv1vgmr7qhrt0gfbsdo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25055&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25055

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 07:25:16 -0400
 by: RWC - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:25 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 15:43:42 -0700, Steve Mc <stevemc209@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>And spread sheets can do this too...
>
>Feb 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
>
> 1. Shufflin' The Blues - T-Bone Walker - 26
> 2. Nothing But Love - Bobo Jenkins - 26
>
> 3. Fine And Mellow (Live) - Billie Holiday - 24
> 4. Work For My Baby - H-Bomb Ferguson - 24

after extracting 1. and 1- lines using plain text editor Notepad++ and
tidying up with a bit of manual formatting:
1. Shufflin' The Blues - T-Bone Walker - 26
1. This I Know - Little Joe & The Thrillers - 32
1. Rich Woman - Li'l Millet - 29
1. (Every Time I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone - Roy Montrell - 35
1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 35
1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 28
1. I Need Your Kisses - Spaniels - 30
1. Do You Remember What You Did - Diablos - 33
1. Come On (Part 1) - Earl King - 32
1. Don't Leave Me Here To Cry - Supremes - 37
**CHAMPION for 2019** (Every Time I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone - Roy
Montrell - 34

1. Please Don't Tell 'Em - Blue Dots - 35
1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby - 25
1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 25
1. Pretty Bad Blues - Ronnie Self - 25
1. Marked Deck - Mercy Baby - 24
1. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins - 25 (5-4)
1. Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones - 27
1. Tell Me - Howlin' Wolf - 26
1. Make Me Lose My Mind - The Nutmegs - 21
1. Romp And Stomp Blues - Mercy Dee - 25
1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27
**CHAMPION for 2020** I Lost You - Spaniels - 27

1. Rock Me - Nutmegs - 22
1. Wipe Your Tears - Jimmy Nolen - 21
1. Blue Days Black Nights - Buddy Holly - 29
1. Waitin' In School - Ricky Nelson - 25
1. Think - Five Royales - 24 (5-4)
1. Bumpity Bump - Smiley Lewis - 26
1. Tear It Up - Johnny Burnette & The Rock'N Roll Trio - 25
1. Wear Your Black Dress - Willie Egans - 25
1. Honey Bee - Drifters - 27
1. Henry's Got Flat Feet (Can't Dance No More) - Midnighters - 28
1. Never Let Me Go - The Impressions - 29
**CHAMPION for 2021** Think - Five Royales - 28

1. Big Mary's House - The Solitaires - 28
1. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie - Louis Jordan - 31
1. Alrighty Oh Sweetie - The Clovers - 27
1= Double Crossin' Liquor - Sticks McGhee - 26
1= Don't Go - Love Notes - 26

Re: Winners

<626fcde9.120383734@nntp.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25058&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25058

From: maria...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 12:27:05 GMT
 by: Roger Ford - Mon, 2 May 2022 12:27 UTC

wrote:

> [...]
>

>Jan 2022 FINAL RANKINGS
>

> 1. Big Mary's House - The Solitaires - 28
> 2. No There Ain't No News Today - Penguins - 27
> 3. A Losing Battle - Johnny Adams - 26
> 4. Sweet Lovin' Daddy-O - The Teardrops - 19
>

> Big Mark's House wins the month, a point ahead of Rick's Pengies.
>Diane's Adams was a point behind second in third place, and Roger's
>Teardrops was way behind in last place. Good month with lots of
>surprises to me.
>
> Everyone seems excited about February. Should be interesting to see
>what happens in an era before doo wops. Which kinds of records will
>prove to be winners with this crowd?
>

>Feb 2022
>
> 1. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie - Louis Jordan - 31
> 2. Chattanooga Choo Choo - Glenn Miller - 24
> 3. In the Mood - Glenn Miller - 23
> 4. Till Then - Mills Brothers - 22
>
> IT'S A LANDSLIDE!!
>
> The drought is finally over, I went over a year without a winner, but
>now Brucie is back where he belongs...IN THE WINNER'S CIRCLE!
>
> A tight race for the next 3 spots, as Bill's Miller Choo Choo rounds
>the tracks fast enough to edge my Miller Mood for second. Roger's Mills
>Bros were a point behind third place to take 4th.
>
> A VERY solid contest, and we'll be back with more of these REAL oldies
>in May.
>
>March 2022 FINAL RANKINGS - same as me and Carl.
>

> 1. Alrighty Oh Sweetie - The Clovers - 27
> 2. Love No One But You - The Jesters - 26
>
> 3. Crazy Arms - Ray Price - 25
> 4. I Got it - Little Richard - 22
>
> Carl is back in the winner's circle, this time with the Clovers. In the
>semi-finals it beat Diane's Jesters in a tie breaker. This time it edged
>Diane's Jesters by a point. Crazy Diane was third, a point behind her
>Jesters, and Mark's Little Richard finished out of the money in 4th place.
>
> The winner here had just 2 first place rankings, but more importantly
>it did not have ANY last place rankings, which helped propel it to the top.
>
>April 2022
> FINAL RANKINGS
>
> 1. Double Crossin' Liquor - Sticks McGhee - 26
> 1. Don't Go - Love Notes - 26
>
> 3. Soldier Of Fortune - The Drifters
> 3. Hey Doll Baby - The Clovers
>
> Well, I said this was gonna be really tight, and it certainly was. For
>the first time in tournament history we have an exact tie for first
>place. Both records were ranked higher on 5 of the 10 ballots, and both
>records had the same exact 10 rankings, 3 firsts, 3 seconds, one third
>and 3 fourths. I was gonna break the tie by what the result was if the 2
>items had met in an earlier round, but they never did. So we'll just
>have co-winners this month.
>
> Roger's Sticks and Steve's Love Notes are co-champs for April. Diane's
>Drifters and Roger's Clovers are also in an exact tie for third. They
>each were ranked higher on 5 ballots, and each had 2 firsts, 2 seconds,
>4 thirds, and 2 fourths. And they had not met earlier in the tournament

Gee,I wonder who won those contests the most times?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Winners

<WMQbK.452504$t2Bb.257406@fx98.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25059&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25059

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:12:22 -0400
 by: DianeE - Mon, 2 May 2022 13:12 UTC

On 5/2/2022 8:27 AM, Roger Ford wrote:

> Gee,I wonder who won those contests the most times?

-------------

That never occurred to me, probably because I know it wasn't me. What
actually led me to make this request is that I was wondering what *year*
the greatest number of winning songs came from.

In particular, I now see that although 2 songs from 1962 have won
(coincidentally, both my nominations), no song from 1963 has won yet.

Thanks to Steve and Geoff for providing the list.

Re: Winners

<a7m07h5cnsv2c1kvkgrb5ri7l5eh000brv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25081&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25081

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 18:38:33 -0400
 by: RWC - Mon, 2 May 2022 22:38 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 12:27:05 GMT, mariabus@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger
Ford) wrote:

>Gee, I wonder who won those contests the most times?

Bruce ?

Re: Winners

<ced17hhc5dh377trgiddb72gtddkvmago0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25087&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25087

From: rns...@san.rr.com (Rick Schubert)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 22:00:11 -0700
 by: Rick Schubert - Tue, 3 May 2022 05:00 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 12:27:05 GMT, mariabus@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford) wrote:

>Gee,I wonder who won those contests the most times?

The Spaniels. They won 2 months plus the 2020 year-end contest.

Aug 2019
1. I Need Your Kisses - Spaniels - 30

Nov 2020
1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27

2020 2020
1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27

The Nutmegs were the only other artist to win 2 months:

Sept 2020
1. Make Me Lose My Mind - The Nutmegs - 21

Jan 2021
1. Rock Me - Nutmegs - 22

I'm sure that's what you were wondering about.

Re: Winners

<0293309e-4c35-4063-9c36-19270d8fcc46n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25088&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25088

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 22:09:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Tue, 3 May 2022 05:09 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 1:00:17 AM UTC-4, Rick Schubert wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2022 12:27:05 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford) wrote:
> >Gee,I wonder who won those contests the most times?
> The Spaniels. They won 2 months plus the 2020 year-end contest.
>
> Aug 2019
> 1. I Need Your Kisses - Spaniels - 30
> Nov 2020
> 1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27
>
> 2020 2020
> 1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27
> The Nutmegs were the only other artist to win 2 months:
>
> Sept 2020
> 1. Make Me Lose My Mind - The Nutmegs - 21
> Jan 2021
> 1. Rock Me - Nutmegs - 22
> I'm sure that's what you were wondering about.

Roger's remark was sarcastic about him having the winning record the most times.

Re: Winners

<7ce17hl21c8kimddo24fv6o7k8img76da5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25089&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25089

From: rns...@san.rr.com (Rick Schubert)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 22:13:46 -0700
 by: Rick Schubert - Tue, 3 May 2022 05:13 UTC

On Mon, 2 May 2022 22:09:08 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <SavoyBG@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 1:00:17 AM UTC-4, Rick Schubert wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 May 2022 12:27:05 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford) wrote:
>> >Gee,I wonder who won those contests the most times?
>> The Spaniels. They won 2 months plus the 2020 year-end contest.
>>
>> Aug 2019
>> 1. I Need Your Kisses - Spaniels - 30
>> Nov 2020
>> 1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27
>>
>> 2020 2020
>> 1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 27
>> The Nutmegs were the only other artist to win 2 months:
>>
>> Sept 2020
>> 1. Make Me Lose My Mind - The Nutmegs - 21
>> Jan 2021
>> 1. Rock Me - Nutmegs - 22
>> I'm sure that's what you were wondering about.
>
>Roger's remark was sarcastic about him having the winning record the most times.

I know. That's why I said "I'm sure that's what you were wondering about." I didn't want to add a
smiley.

Re: Winners

<07b9b647-3e3e-4c32-b196-afc4a4c4b6d3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25091&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25091

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Tue, 3 May 2022 06:03 UTC

Let's see about what years all of the winners are from.

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 6:43:45 PM UTC-4, Steve Mc wrote:
> Feb 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
> 1. Shufflin' The Blues - T-Bone Walker - 1959
> March 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
> 1. This I Know - Little Joe & The Thrillers - 1956
> April 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
> 1-Rich Woman - Li'l Millet - 1955

> May 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
> 1-(Every Time I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone - Roy Montrell - 1956
> June 2019 FINAL RANKINGS:
> 1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 1962

> July 2019 FINAL RANKINGS
> 1. Boot em Up - Du Droppers - 1954

> Aug 2019
> 1. I Need Your Kisses - Spaniels - 1957

> Sept 2019
> 1. Do You Remember What You Did - Diablos - 1955

> Oct 2019
> 1. Come On (Part 1) - Earl King - 1960

> Nov 2019
> 1. Don't Leave Me Here To Cry - Supremes - 1957
> Jan 2020
> 1. Please Don't Tell 'Em - Blue Dots - 1957

> Feb 2020
> 1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby - 1957

> March 2020 FINAL RANKINGS
> 1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 1956

> April 2020
> 1. Pretty Bad Blues - Ronnie Self - 1956

> May 2020
> Marked Deck - Mercy Baby - 1956

> June 2020
> 1. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins - 1956

> July 2020
> 1-Cool, Cool Baby - Magic Tones - 1953

> Aug 2020
> 1. Tell Me - Howlin' Wolf - 1960

> Sept 2020
> 1. Make Me Lose My Mind - The Nutmegs - 1955

> Oct 2020
> 1. Romp And Stomp Blues - Mercy Dee - 1955
> Nov 2020
> 1. I Lost You - Spaniels - 1958

> Jan 2021
> 1. Rock Me - Nutmegs - 1955

> Feb 2021
> 1. Wipe Your Tears - Jimmy Nolen - 1956

> MAR 2021
> 1. Blue Days Black Nights - Buddy Holly - 1956

> April 2021
> 1. Waitin' In School - Ricky Nelson - 1957

> May 2021
> 1. Think - Five Royales - 1957

> June 2021
> 1. Bumpity Bump - Smiley Lewis - 1955
> July 2021
> 1. Tear It Up - Johnny Burnette & The Rock'N Roll Trio - 1956

> August 2021
> 1. Wear Your Black Dress - Willie Egans - 1956
> Sept 2021
> 1. Honey Bee - Drifters - 1961

> Oct 2021
> 1. Henry's Got Flat Feet (Can't Dance No More) - Midnighters - 1955

> Nov 2021
> 1. Never Let Me Go - The Impressions - 1962
> Jan 2022
> 1. Big Mary's House - The Solitaires - 1958

> Feb 2022
> 1. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie - Louis Jordan - 1946

> March 2022
> 1. Alrighty Oh Sweetie - The Clovers - 1954

> April 2022
> 1. Double Crossin' Liquor - Sticks McGhee - 1955
> [...]

Okay, for me the prime years of our era are 1954-1957, with 1953 and 1958 next, and that's where the vast majority of the monthly winners have come from, mainly 1955 through 1957.

Here's the count:

1946 - 1
1953 - 1
1954 - 2
1955 - 8
1956 - 10
1957 - 7
1958 - 2
1959 - 1
1960 - 2
1961 - 1
1962 - 2

37 months, and 25 of the 37 winners (68%) have come from 1955, 56 or 57. And that's with a couple of contests where those 3 years were not eligible.

Re: Winners

<b4640970-3eb4-48af-b920-6fc5389e1242n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25097&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25097

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Tue, 3 May 2022 06:15 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 2:03:05 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> 1946 - 1
> 1953 - 1
> 1954 - 2
> 1955 - 8
> 1956 - 10
> 1957 - 7
> 1958 - 2
> 1959 - 1
> 1960 - 2
> 1961 - 1
> 1962 - 2
>
> 37 months, and 25 of the 37 winners (68%) have come from 1955, 56 or 57.

Actually it's 36 months, but 37 winners, because of the co-champions last month.

Re: Winners

<evs17hppif5l05lshi1g0bi453s4bmtgil@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25100&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25100

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 07:47:59 -0400
 by: RWC - Tue, 3 May 2022 11:47 UTC

On Mon, 02 May 2022 22:13:46 -0700, Rick Schubert <rns@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 2 May 2022 22:09:08 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <SavoyBG@aol.com> wrote:

>>Roger's remark was sarcastic about him having the winning record the most times.
>
>I know. That's why I said "I'm sure that's what you were wondering about." I didn't want to add a
>smiley.

I too, did not want to add a smiley...

Re: Winners

<ik527hdevbj4vgv4sg6k9krlpa5gpj2ttn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25101&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25101

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 07:51:08 -0400
 by: RWC - Tue, 3 May 2022 11:51 UTC

On Mon, 2 May 2022 23:03:04 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <SavoyBG@aol.com>
wrote:

>Here's the count:
>
>1946 - 1
>1953 - 1
>1954 - 2
>1955 - 8
>1956 - 10
>1957 - 7
>1958 - 2
>1959 - 1
>1960 - 2
>1961 - 1
>1962 - 2

Graphed (without Pre-1947):
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/rs0hbk3kmk

nearly 70% being 1955-1957

would be interesting to compare with the distribution by year for all
accepted nominations

Re: Winners

<CmacK.682094$mF2.217275@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25102&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25102

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:46:10 -0400
 by: DianeE - Tue, 3 May 2022 13:46 UTC

On 5/3/2022 2:03 AM, Bruce wrote:
> [...]
>> 1. Wear Your Black Dress - Willie Egans - 1956
>
>> Sept 2021
>> 1. Honey Bee - Drifters - 1961
>
>> Oct 2021
>> 1. Henry's Got Flat Feet (Can't Dance No More) - Midnighters - 1955
>
>> Nov 2021
>> 1. Never Let Me Go - The Impressions - 1962
>
>> Jan 2022
>> 1. Big Mary's House - The Solitaires - 1958
>
>> Feb 2022
>> 1. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie - Louis Jordan - 1946
>
>> March 2022
>> 1. Alrighty Oh Sweetie - The Clovers - 1954
>
>> April 2022
>> 1. Double Crossin' Liquor - Sticks McGhee - 1955
>> 1. Don't Go - Love Notes - 1957
>
> Okay, for me the prime years of our era are 1954-1957, with 1953 and 1958 next, and that's where the vast majority of the monthly winners have come from, mainly 1955 through 1957.

--------------
Nothing from 1963, but more surprising to me is that there's nothing
from 1947 through 1952.

Re: Winners

<ksg27hh8u9lkh4hrdn67u3in28i0n709li@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25114&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25114

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 11:11:14 -0400
 by: RWC - Tue, 3 May 2022 15:11 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 09:46:10 -0400, DianeE <DianeE@NoSpam.net> wrote:

>Nothing from 1963, but more surprising to me is that there's nothing
>from 1947 through 1952.

Yes, I noticed that, and it's highlighted by the graph.
What percentage of nominations have been from that period?