The part of the world that people find most puzzling is the part called "Me".

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

SubjectAuthor
* The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDianeE
+- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameMark D.
+* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDianeE
|`- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
+* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDean F.
|`* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDennis C from Tennessee
| `- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
`* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDean F.
 +* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 |`* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDean F.
 | +* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDianeE
 | |`- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDianeE
 | +* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameJim Colegrove
 | |+* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameRoger Ford
 | ||`- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameSteve Mc
 | |+* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameJim Colegrove
 | ||`- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDennis C from Tennessee
 | |`* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDean F.
 | | `* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 | |  `* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDean F.
 | |   `* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 | |    +* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDennis C from Tennessee
 | |    |`- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 | |    `- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDean F.
 | `* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBob Roman
 |  `* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDianeE
 |   +* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 |   |+* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameDianeE
 |   ||`* Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 |   || `- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBruce
 |   |`- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBob Roman
 |   `- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameBob Roman
 `- Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of FameJim Colegrove

Pages:12
The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<xXucK.83$SOP1.69@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25127&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25127

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Subject: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 09:10:52 -0400
 by: DianeE - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:10 UTC

Despite a last-minute plea to "respectfully bow out" of contention for
the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the country singer Dolly Parton made it in
anyway, joining a musically diverse array of inductees for 2022 that
also includes Eminem, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, Eurythmics, Duran
Duran and Pat Benatar.

The honorees — voted on by more than 1,000 artists, historians and music
industry professionals — "each had a profound impact on the sound of
youth culture and helped change the course of rock 'n' roll," said John
Sykes, the chairman of the Rock Hall, in a statement.

Parton, 76, had said in March that she was "extremely flattered and
grateful to be nominated" but didn’t feel that she had "earned that
right" to be recognized as a rock artist at the expense of others.
Ballots, however, had already been sent to voters, and the hall said
they would remain unchanged, noting that the organization was "not
defined by any one genre" and had deep roots in country and rhythm and
blues.

In an interview with NPR last week, Parton said she would accept her
induction after all, should it come to pass. "It was always my belief
that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was for the people in rock music, and
I have found out lately that it’s not necessarily that,"” she said.

But she added, "if they can’t go there to be recognized, where do they
go? So I just felt like I would be taking away from someone that maybe
deserved it, certainly more than me, because I never considered myself a
rock artist."

Following years of criticism regarding diversity — less than 8 percent
of inductees were women as of 2019 — the Rock Hall has made a point in
recent years to expand its purview. Artists like Jay-Z, Whitney Houston
and Janet Jackson have been welcomed in from the worlds of rap, R&B and
pop, alongside prominent women across genres like the Go-Go's, Carole
King and Tina Turner.

This year, Eminem becomes just the 10th hip-hop act to be inducted,
making the cut on his first ballot. (Artists become eligible for
induction 25 years after the release of their first commercial recording.)

Parton, Richie, Simon and Duran Duran were also selected on their first
go-round, while fresh nominees like Beck and A Tribe Called Quest, who
had been eligible for more than a decade, were passed over. Simon, known
for her folk-inflected pop hits like "You're So Vain," was a first-time
nominee more than 25 years after she qualified. Benatar and Eurythmics,
long eligible, had each been considered once before.

Those passed over this year also included Kate Bush, Devo, Fela Kuti,
MC5, New York Dolls, Rage Against the Machine and Dionne Warwick.

Judas Priest was on the ballot, but will instead be inducted in the
non-performer category for musical excellence, alongside the songwriting
and production duo Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Harry Belafonte and
Elizabeth Cotten will be recognized with the Early Influence Award,
while the executives Allen Grubman, Jimmy Iovine and Sylvia Robinson are
set to receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award, named for the longtime Atlantic
Records honcho and one of the founders of the Rock Hall.

The 37th annual induction ceremony will be held on Nov. 5, at Microsoft
Theater in Los Angeles, and will air at a later date on HBO and SiriusXM.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<P-qdnaIglP3FHO__nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25128&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25128

From: mdintenf...@xxnew.rr.com (Mark D.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 08:36:24 -0500
 by: Mark D. - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:36 UTC

On May 4, 2022 at 8:10:52 AM CDT, "DianeE" <DianeE@NoSpam.net> wrote:

> [...]
> long eligible, had each been considered once before.
>
> Those passed over this year also included Kate Bush, Devo, Fela Kuti,
> MC5, New York Dolls, Rage Against the Machine and Dionne Warwick.
>
> Judas Priest was on the ballot, but will instead be inducted in the
> non-performer category for musical excellence, alongside the songwriting
> and production duo Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Harry Belafonte and
> Elizabeth Cotten will be recognized with the Early Influence Award,
> while the executives Allen Grubman, Jimmy Iovine and Sylvia Robinson are
> set to receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award, named for the longtime Atlantic
> Records honcho and one of the founders of the Rock Hall.
>
> The 37th annual induction ceremony will be held on Nov. 5, at Microsoft
> Theater in Los Angeles, and will air at a later date on HBO and SiriusXM.

Belafonte? Oh well, I'm beyond caring.

--md

remove "xx" for email

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<m0EcK.497$6iMa.11@fx39.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25145&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25145

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 19:30:27 -0400
 by: DianeE - Wed, 4 May 2022 23:30 UTC

On 5/4/2022 9:10 AM, DianeE wrote:
> Judas Priest was on the ballot, but will instead be inducted in the
> non-performer category for musical excellence
---------
This is particularly baffling. I suppose it's like what they did with
Chic, they were so hellbent on getting them in and couldn't get the
votes in like 9 years, so they ended up giving Nile Rodgers some
lifetime achievement award or other.
------------
<<....the executives Allen Grubman, Jimmy Iovine and Sylvia Robinson are
set to receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award, named for the longtime Atlantic
Records honcho and one of the founders of the Rock Hall.>>
-----------
Too bad Sylvia isn't alive to receive it. This one, they got right.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<deea3c0a-1885-4be2-9891-44c08ea915c1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25146&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25146

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 16:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Wed, 4 May 2022 23:43 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 7:30:28 PM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> On 5/4/2022 9:10 AM, DianeE wrote:
> > Judas Priest was on the ballot, but will instead be inducted in the
> > non-performer category for musical excellence
> ---------
> This is particularly baffling. I suppose it's like what they did with
> Chic, they were so hellbent on getting them in and couldn't get the
> votes in like 9 years, so they ended up giving Nile Rodgers some
> lifetime achievement award or other.

And LL Cool J last year.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<8f12b7a1-d16b-4b9a-a068-8d3563a1c209n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25147&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25147

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: soulexpr...@gmail.com (Dean F.)
 by: Dean F. - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:17 UTC

This year's crop of inductees may be the worst yet. Lionel Fucking Richie, for Christ's sake!

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<0883e8eb-b45f-45bd-bd47-defcb43ab5cbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25148&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25148

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: dennisro...@gmail.com (Dennis C from Tennessee)
 by: Dennis C from Tennes - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:55 UTC

Lionel Fucking Richie, for Christ's sake!

Hey!! That's a good sign!!

Can Aldo Nova be far behind, baby!!??

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<878b5f7a-611b-49b5-8bf5-e9ad9c395f85n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25183&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25183

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 20:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 6 May 2022 03:27 UTC

Samp's writeup on the inductees.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_hall-of-fame-2022.html

SYLVIA ROBINSON
The most qualified inductee this year is someone most casually interested parties have no awareness of and thus should be the one who has the most attention bestowed upon her career. As 14 year old she released her first records as an artist sounding far more mature than her age and a few years later after taking guitar lessons from Mickey Baker they decided to form a duo and scored a number of hits including the all time classic "Love Is Strange". Meanwhile on the side Sylvia produced and contributed the lead guitar parts for Ike & Tina Turner's "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", with Mickey taking the male vocals alongside Tina. In the 1970's Sylvia scored a huge hit on her own with "Pillow Talk" before turning her attention to Sugar Hill Records which she and her husband founded and for over a decade she oversaw their production on its way to becoming the first rap label to achieve legendary status earning her the title The Mother Of Hip-Hop. Her songwriting and production skills in addition to her business acumen and her singing and guitar abilities make her without question the single most talented female in rock history.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<d0d291e6-214e-4832-bfbc-ec0c869ff329n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25185&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25185

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 21:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: soulexpr...@gmail.com (Dean F.)
 by: Dean F. - Fri, 6 May 2022 04:33 UTC

Harry Belafonte made it into the Early Influences category? And who the fuck is Elizabeth Cotten? I've never even heard of her!

Meanwhile, still no Wynonie Harris or Roy Brown. "Pathetic" barely begins to cover it.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<05468fa4-89a2-4f90-9aff-c36c458b8b10n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25187&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25187

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 22:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 6 May 2022 05:38 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 12:33:36 AM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> Harry Belafonte made it into the Early Influences category? And who the fuck is Elizabeth Cotten? I've never even heard of her!

ELIZABETH COTTON
A tremendously inspiring story, the self-taught guitarist who wrote songs in her teens gave up the instrument soon after and worked as a domestic for decades until she began playing again in her sixties, doesn't change the fact that she's not influential to rock's creation or development. Her biggest verifiable achievement is her self-penned "Freight Train", which was big on the British skiffle scene in the mid-1950's, but considering how many legitimate early rock acts have been snubbed by the Hall, this choice unfortunately comes across as them looking to get credit for themselves for thinking of her.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<d918dc87-f451-49a3-b9ba-e2ba000c9a79n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25188&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25188

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 23:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: soulexpr...@gmail.com (Dean F.)
 by: Dean F. - Fri, 6 May 2022 06:15 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> ELIZABETH COTTON
> A tremendously inspiring story, the self-taught guitarist who wrote songs in her teens gave up the instrument soon after and worked as a domestic for decades until she began playing again in her sixties, doesn't change the fact that she's not influential to rock's creation or development. Her biggest verifiable achievement is her self-penned "Freight Train", which was big on the British skiffle scene in the mid-1950's, but considering how many legitimate early rock acts have been snubbed by the Hall, this choice unfortunately comes across as them looking to get credit for themselves for thinking of her.

I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten. This tells me that Sampson is right. I'll bet her influence on rock & roll was even less than Carly Simon's, and that's saying a lot..

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<MW6dK.10136$Awz.5423@fx03.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25189&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25189

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 06:40:44 -0400
 by: DianeE - Fri, 6 May 2022 10:40 UTC

On 5/6/2022 2:15 AM, Dean F. wrote:
> On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> ELIZABETH COTTON
>> A tremendously inspiring story, the self-taught guitarist who wrote songs in her teens gave up the instrument soon after and worked as a domestic for decades until she began playing again in her sixties, doesn't change the fact that she's not influential to rock's creation or development. Her biggest verifiable achievement is her self-penned "Freight Train", which was big on the British skiffle scene in the mid-1950's, but considering how many legitimate early rock acts have been snubbed by the Hall, this choice unfortunately comes across as them looking to get credit for themselves for thinking of her.
>
> I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten. This tells me that Sampson is right. I'll bet her influence on rock & roll was even less than Carly Simon's, and that's saying a lot.
------------
I was somewhat of a "folkie" in my early teens, so I knew who Elizabeth
"Libba" Cotten was. She was best known for writing a song called
"Freight Train" and for her unique style of finger picking. She was a
popular performer on the folk revival circuit, but just like Harry
Belfonte and Charley Patton and several others they've inducted, had
absolutely zero to do with rock & roll or even with what we recognize as
R&B.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<7Z6dK.10137$Awz.7804@fx03.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25190&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25190

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 06:43:16 -0400
 by: DianeE - Fri, 6 May 2022 10:43 UTC

On 5/6/2022 6:40 AM, DianeE wrote:

> ------------
> I was somewhat of a "folkie" in my early teens, so I knew who Elizabeth
> "Libba" Cotten was.  She was best known for writing a song called
> "Freight Train" and for her unique style of finger picking.  She was a
> popular performer on the folk revival circuit, but just like Harry
> Belfonte and Charley Patton and several others they've inducted, had
> absolutely zero to do with rock & roll or even with what we recognize as
> R&B.
-----------
That's why I titled this thread the way I did.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<cuaa7h5s58ta75iqpiqfp04he0lmaijcem@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25195&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25195

From: coo...@thecoolgroove.com (Jim Colegrove)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 09:08:26 -0500
 by: Jim Colegrove - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:08 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 21:33:36 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
<soulexpress@gmail.com> wrote:

>Harry Belafonte made it into the Early Influences category? And who the fuck is Elizabeth Cotten? I've never even heard of her!

Wow!

>Meanwhile, still no Wynonie Harris or Roy Brown. "Pathetic" barely begins to cover it.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<c0ba7hpcse2j657godcvbtacp7cjgpskl6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25196&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25196

From: coo...@thecoolgroove.com (Jim Colegrove)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 09:15:12 -0500
 by: Jim Colegrove - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:15 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2022 23:15:44 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
<soulexpress@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> ELIZABETH COTTON
>> A tremendously inspiring story, the self-taught guitarist who wrote songs in her teens gave up the instrument soon after and worked as a domestic for decades until she began playing again in her sixties, doesn't change the fact that she's not influential to rock's creation or development. Her biggest verifiable achievement is her self-penned "Freight Train", which was big on the British skiffle scene in the mid-1950's, but considering how many legitimate early rock acts have been snubbed by the Hall, this choice unfortunately comes across as them looking to get credit for themselves for thinking of her.
>
>I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten. This tells me that Sampson is right. I'll bet her influence on rock & roll was even less than Carly Simon's, and that's saying a lot.

As Diane said she's well known due to her song "Freight Train." It was
recorded by a Brit group, the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with a girl
named Nancy Whiskey singing.The record became a hit in 1957 as a part
of the skiffle movement. Lonnie Donnegan was a famous skiffle
musician. Both were internationally known. Skiffle music was
influential on another Brit group called the Beatles.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<62753e90.476902625@nntp.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25201&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25201

From: maria...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 15:38:40 GMT
 by: Roger Ford - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:38 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 09:15:12 -0500, Jim Colegrove
<coolg@thecoolgroove.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 May 2022 23:15:44 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
><soulexpress@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> ELIZABETH COTTON
>>> A tremendously inspiring story, the self-taught guitarist who wrote songs in her teens gave up the instrument soon after and worked as a domestic for decades until she began playing again in her sixties, doesn't change the fact that she's not influential to rock's creation or development. Her biggest verifiable achievement is her self-penned "Freight Train", which was big on the British skiffle scene in the mid-1950's, but considering how many legitimate early rock acts have been snubbed by the Hall, this choice unfortunately comes across as them looking to get credit for themselves for thinking of her.
>>
>>I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten. This tells me that Sampson is right. I'll bet her influence on rock & roll was even less than Carly Simon's, and that's saying a lot.
>
>As Diane said she's well known due to her song "Freight Train." It was
>recorded by a Brit group, the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with a girl
>named Nancy Whiskey singing.The record became a hit in 1957 as a part
>of the skiffle movement. Lonnie Donnegan was a famous skiffle
>musician. Both were internationally known. Skiffle music was
>influential on another Brit group called the Beatles.

Dead right Jim!

Elizabeth Cotten wrote "Freight Train" that became a huge hit here in
UK in 1957 (#5 in NME) by Chas McDevitt Shiffle Group with vocals by
Nancy Whiskey and was one of my favorite records at the time. I still
quite like it now..

Ms Cotten had indeed been a domestic and had worked for the Seeger
family where she taught her "Freight Train" song to Peggy Seeger. Ms
Seeger larer came to London and appeared in several folk clubs where
she sang "Freight Train" and where the song was picked up by UK artist
Chas McDevitt who together with Bill Varley "copyrighted" it (a more
polite way of saying "stole") the song so it now appeared as written
by "James-Williams" (pseudonyms for McDevitt & Varley)

McDevitt's "Freight Train" single appeared writer credited that way on
January 1957 release as does the US version of the song by Rusty
Draper that appeared in April that year

Later Ms Cotten sued and was eventually rightly honoured as the true
songwriter

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mariabus@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<ZubdK.2947$arR.2887@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25205&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25205

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 08:52:24 -0700
 by: Steve Mc - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:52 UTC

On 5/6/2022 8:38 AM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2022 09:15:12 -0500, Jim Colegrove
> <coolg@thecoolgroove.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 May 2022 23:15:44 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
>> <soulexpress@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten. This tells me that Sampson is right. I'll bet her influence on rock & roll was even less than Carly Simon's, and that's saying a lot.
>>
>> As Diane said she's well known due to her song "Freight Train." It was
>> recorded by a Brit group, the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with a girl
>> named Nancy Whiskey singing.The record became a hit in 1957 as a part
>> of the skiffle movement. Lonnie Donnegan was a famous skiffle
>> musician. Both were internationally known. Skiffle music was
>> influential on another Brit group called the Beatles.
>
> Dead right Jim!
>
> Elizabeth Cotten wrote "Freight Train" that became a huge hit here in
> UK in 1957 (#5 in NME) by Chas McDevitt Shiffle Group with vocals by
> Nancy Whiskey and was one of my favorite records at the time. I still
> quite like it now..
>
> Ms Cotten had indeed been a domestic and had worked for the Seeger
> family where she taught her "Freight Train" song to Peggy Seeger. Ms
> Seeger larer came to London and appeared in several folk clubs where
> she sang "Freight Train" and where the song was picked up by UK artist
> Chas McDevitt who together with Bill Varley "copyrighted" it (a more
> polite way of saying "stole") the song so it now appeared as written
> by "James-Williams" (pseudonyms for McDevitt & Varley)
>
> McDevitt's "Freight Train" single appeared writer credited that way on
> January 1957 release as does the US version of the song by Rusty
> Draper that appeared in April that year
>
> Later Ms Cotten sued and was eventually rightly honoured as the true
> songwriter
>

> ROGER FORD
> -----------------------

This is my favorite by her, with her 12 year old granddaughter singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ViAIdO3i4

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<apha7h1qv88qcn7hr89uuitidoesjaqa08@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25207&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25207

From: coo...@thecoolgroove.com (Jim Colegrove)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 11:08:43 -0500
 by: Jim Colegrove - Fri, 6 May 2022 16:08 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 09:15:12 -0500, Jim Colegrove
<coolg@thecoolgroove.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 May 2022 23:15:44 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
><soulexpress@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:38:44 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> ELIZABETH COTTON
>>> A tremendously inspiring story, the self-taught guitarist who wrote songs in her teens gave up the instrument soon after and worked as a domestic for decades until she began playing again in her sixties, doesn't change the fact that she's not influential to rock's creation or development. Her biggest verifiable achievement is her self-penned "Freight Train", which was big on the British skiffle scene in the mid-1950's, but considering how many legitimate early rock acts have been snubbed by the Hall, this choice unfortunately comes across as them looking to get credit for themselves for thinking of her.
>>
>>I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten. This tells me that Sampson is right. I'll bet her influence on rock & roll was even less than Carly Simon's, and that's saying a lot.
>
>As Diane said she's well known due to her song "Freight Train." It was
>recorded by a Brit group, the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with a girl
>named Nancy Whiskey singing.The record became a hit in 1957 as a part
>of the skiffle movement. Lonnie Donnegan was a famous skiffle
>musician. Both were internationally known. Skiffle music was
>influential on another Brit group called the Beatles.

Of course, they weren't called the Beatles when they were a skiffle/RR
group. They were called the Quarrymen.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<a3632f9f-3fa2-4e31-b1b7-3b9b258f1828n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25212&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25212

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 09:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: dennisro...@gmail.com (Dennis C from Tennessee)
 by: Dennis C from Tennes - Fri, 6 May 2022 16:34 UTC

Elizabeth Cotten had " Frieght Train"!!

Aldo Nova has "Fantasy"!!

Put 'em both in, baby!!

Meetcha' in Cleveland, gang!!

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<5af9d715-5367-4416-85dd-c67b0d789859n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25221&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25221

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 21:54:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: soulexpr...@gmail.com (Dean F.)
 by: Dean F. - Sat, 7 May 2022 04:54 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 10:15:14 AM UTC-4, Jim Colegrove wrote:

> As Diane said she's well known due to her song "Freight Train." It was
> recorded by a Brit group, the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with a girl
> named Nancy Whiskey singing.The record became a hit in 1957 as a part
> of the skiffle movement. Lonnie Donnegan was a famous skiffle
> musician. Both were internationally known. Skiffle music was
> influential on another Brit group called the Beatles.

So she's known for one song. How does that make Elizabeth Cotten more deserving of Early Influences induction than Wynonie Harris, Roy Brown, or the Ravens?

But come to think of it: Joan Jett, Percy Sledg,e and now the Eurythmics all got into main Hall for just one song apiece.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<0356f78e-ae2f-45dc-85c4-55bf1c1b6744n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25222&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25222

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 22:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sat, 7 May 2022 05:45 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 12:54:39 AM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 10:15:14 AM UTC-4, Jim Colegrove wrote:
>
> > As Diane said she's well known due to her song "Freight Train." It was
> > recorded by a Brit group, the Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group with a girl
> > named Nancy Whiskey singing.The record became a hit in 1957 as a part
> > of the skiffle movement. Lonnie Donnegan was a famous skiffle
> > musician. Both were internationally known. Skiffle music was
> > influential on another Brit group called the Beatles.
> So she's known for one song. How does that make Elizabeth Cotten more deserving of Early Influences induction than Wynonie Harris, Roy Brown, or the Ravens?

The voters only seem to care about who influenced acts from the 60s and later. They don't care who influenced Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and Ray Charles.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<7e89c901-16f0-4d7b-9dfb-59d357b5ce2fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25226&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25226

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 01:59:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: soulexpr...@gmail.com (Dean F.)
 by: Dean F. - Sat, 7 May 2022 08:59 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 1:45:14 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> The voters only seem to care about who influenced acts from the 60s and later. They don't care who influenced Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and Ray Charles.

They already ruined the Early Influences category when they inducted Kraftwerk and Gil Scott-Heron. Bastards don't even attempt to hide their biases.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<bf7078db-a48a-4034-ac9e-20e9f6b1ffc9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25234&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25234

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 08:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sat, 7 May 2022 15:01 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 4:59:08 AM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 1:45:14 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
> > The voters only seem to care about who influenced acts from the 60s and later. They don't care who influenced Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and Ray Charles.

> They already ruined the Early Influences category when they inducted Kraftwerk and Gil Scott-Heron. Bastards don't even attempt to hide their biases.

Huh?

What's the bias in inducting Kraftwerk and Gil Scott-Heron?

They weren't early in terms of when rock started, but they were both early in what they influenced, electronic music for Kraftwerk and rap for Gil.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<a91372e9-b3ab-47de-aa17-86496210ca26n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25242&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25242

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 10:04:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: dennisro...@gmail.com (Dennis C from Tennessee)
 by: Dennis C from Tennes - Sat, 7 May 2022 17:04 UTC

electronic music for Kraftwerk and rap for Gil.

Not Rock and Roll.

Give 'em there own Hall of Fame and place it in Bloomfield, baby!!

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<b815625f-57a5-4a97-84a8-fa9b2402b70cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25247&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25247

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 11:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sat, 7 May 2022 18:09 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 1:04:04 PM UTC-4, Dennis C from Tennessee wrote:
> electronic music for Kraftwerk and rap for Gil.
> Not Rock and Roll.
>
> Give 'em there own Hall of Fame and place it in Bloomfield, baby!!

Both electronic music and rap are part of rock and roll. You white hillbillies don't get to define what rock and roll is.

Re: The Rock & Ridiculous Hall Of Fame

<8086d590-b426-45e2-8828-b9a1a32f626fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25252&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#25252

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 16:48:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: robertjr...@gmail.com (Bob Roman)
 by: Bob Roman - Sat, 7 May 2022 23:48 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 2:15:44 AM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> I've been studying rock & roll history for 45 years and had never heard of Elizabeth Cotten.

Me too. But I took it the other way. I was excited by the opportunity to make a discovery.

That's rare these days.

And I'm liking what I'm hearing.

--
BR