Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 07:40:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: MT VOID, 11/11/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 20, Whole Number 2249
From: evelynch...@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 15:40 UTC

THE MT VOID
11/11/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 20, Whole Number 2249

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mleeper@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, eleeper@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
"Tall-Washing" (comments by Evelyn C. Leeper)
Mini Reviews, Part 3 (VOODOO MACBETH, ADIEU GODARD,
LIE HARD) (film reviews by Mark R. Leeper
and Evelyn C. Leeper)
Firemen (letter of comment by Sam Long)
GATTACA and Civil Liberties (letter of comment
by Joy Beeson)
ROMANCING THE STONE (and Other Stuff) (letter of comment
by John Purcell)
This Week's Reading (DRACULA and NOSFERATU) (book and film
comments by Evelyn C. Leeper)

TOPIC: "Tall-Washing" (comments by Evelyn C. Leeper)

Paul Muni was a great actor, but his casting as Benito Juarez in
the film JUAREZ was not only white-washing, but also
"tall-washing". Juarez was a Zapotec, and 4'6" (137 cm) tall.
Muni was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, in what is now Lviv,
Ukraine, and was ... wait for it ... 5'10" tall.(178 cm). In THE
LORD OF THE RINGS and THE HOBBIT, they used special effects tricks
to make the dwarves and hobbits appear the right height, even when
they hired taller actors to play the parts. I'm not sure whether
that is better or worse than just acting as if Juarez was 30%
taller.

TOPIC: Mini Reviews, Part 3 (film reviews by Mark R. Leeper and
Evelyn C. Leeper)

This is the third batch of mini-reviews.

VOODOO MACBETH: VOODOO MACBETH is a narrative film (i.e., not a
documentary) about the Federal Theater Project production of
MACBETH in 1935 in its Negro Theater Unit, headed by Rose McClendon
and John Houseman. They got Orson Welles to direct, and this was
Welles's directorial debut. The production became famous, perhaps
the more so for having no record of it other than still
photographs, so a film about it is quite welcome.

Unfortunately, the film VOODOO MACBETH sacrifices historical
accuracy for dramatic effect. It adds a gay subplot, a corrupt
anti-Communist Congressman, a stabbing, and other flights of fancy.
(Then again, this is not unlike Welles's falsifying of reality in
his radio production of "The War of the Worlds". In fact, he had a
lifelong fascination with magic and other forms of deception.)

This means, though, that the viewer cannot know if there really was
an initial problem that the crew was too white, or whether Virginia
(Nicolson) Welles's role in the production is accurate. She is
portrayed as quite liberal about African Americans in the film, and
the idea for the Haitian setting to be hers. Yet in real life she
ended up living in apartheid South Africa and being quite
comfortable with that (according to her daughter). But given Orson
Welles's ego, it is certainly possible that he took credit for
ideas that were not quite his. I am also somewhat skeptical of the
extent of the casting difficulties--is it really true that all
Welles could find were totally inexperienced actors: a boxer, a
singer, an elevator operator, and so on?

There are also a lot of theater superstitions thrown in (no mention
of the "M" word outside of the script, no whistling in the theater,
etc.).

Released theatrically 21 October 2022. Rating: +1 (-4 to +4) or
6/10

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9748424/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/voodoo_macbeth>

ADIEU GODARD: ADIEU GODARD is an Indian-French co-production in the
Odia language (one of the official languages of India, from the
state of Odisha). The majority of the film is set in a small
village and is filmed in black and white (although there are
occasional touches of very faded red); the rest is set in an
unspecified city and is filmed in color. (The subtitles are in
readable yellow, though fairly small and evidently written by a
non-English speaker.) The director is not playing for a large
audience with this film. We get views of village life in India as
well as clips from Godard's BREATHLESS. There is some philosophy
as the men in the village try to decide whether cinema is for
edification or entertainment. Also, as a commentary on Indian
films, people complain the films have no songs or dancing, and
someone claims that is because Godard is trying something new. The
film goes from a very traditional Indian village to some very
current discussions about sex.

[Coincidentally, Jean-Luc Godard died two days after we saw this
film.]

Rating: +1 (-4 to +4) or 6/10

Released on Hoopla and other streaming services: 26 August 2022.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14502658/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/adieu_godard>

LIE HARD: In LIE HARD, Rob, a not-very-bright twenty-something,
borrows $4 million from the mob to impress his girlfriend's father.
Then the mob wants the money back. So Rob comes up with
increasingly bad ideas, involving two shoplifters, an old man in a
bar, the daughter of the mob boss, and the FBI. It's supposed to
be a comedy, but it's just lame. Especially the end.

Rating: high 0 (-4 to +4) or 5/10

Released on Amazon Prime: 16 August 2022.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13313642/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lie_hard>

[-mrl/ecl]

TOPIC: Firemen (letter of comment by Sam Long)

"fireman" in FAHRENHEIT 451 in the 11/04/22 issue of the MT VOID,
Sam Long writes:

Although we usually think of a "fireman" as someone who puts out
fires, back in the days of steam trains, the "fireman" was the guy
who kept the fire in the steam locomotive's firebox going. The
engineer or engine driver "drove" the train, operated the throttle
and the brakes, etc., but the fireman shoveled the coal (or ran the
pump that fed oil to the firebox of an oil-powered steam engine.)
For more info, see Wikipedia s.v. "Fireman_(steam_engine)".

Fun fact: Before he got into the business of cooking chicken,
Col. Sanders worked as a railroad fireman when he was in his late
teens. [-sl]

TOPIC: GATTACA and Civil Liberties (letter of comment by Joy
Beeson)

issue of the MT VOID, Joy Beeson writes:

[Gary said,] "The society portrayed there didn't strike me as
particularly strong on civil liberties. It appeared very
conformist." [-gmg]

We are headed there in a handbasket. [-jb]

TOPIC: ROMANCING THE STONE (and Other Stuff) (letter of comment by
John Purcell)

11/04/22 issue of the MT VOID, John Purcell writes:

I hope this brief e-moc finds you well. It has been a very long
time since I have written one of these to you folks, but this
semester has been extremely busy. Enrollment at the community
college I teach at is up significantly this semester, so additional
classes were added, and since the Powers That Be were not
interested in hiring new instructors, either part time or full
time, they asked if any of us existing faculty would be willing to
take on an overload course or two. Sensing nice paychecks, for the
first time in my teaching career I accepted a double-overload, and
while I have been able to streamline things - I have a total of
seven first-year composition courses, so it is all one prep; just
change dates as needed; also put as much as possible into
auto-grade assignments - the necessary evil called essays still
must be individually graded, and brother, does that eat up time!
Even so, I have things sort of under control enough to write an
occasional letter of comment.

In short, mainly due to the length of your latest issue including
short movie reviews, I have to say that none of those films appeal
to me. I definitely agree with your assessment of ROMANCING THE
STONE (1984) as being entertaining mainly because of the chemistry
between the three main actors: Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner,
and Danny DeVito. Their followup flick, THE JEWEL OF THE NILE
(1985) bombed, although it did have some fun moments, but it was
very hard to recreate the energy of the first movie.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: MT VOID, 11/11/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 20, Whole Number 2249

<tkri5h$1h4g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2549&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#2549

From: gar...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID, 11/11/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 20, Whole Number 2249
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:56:33 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:56 UTC

On 11/13/22 10:40 AM, eleeper@optonline.net wrote:
> Before Gary Oldman, before Christopher Lee, even before Bela
> Lugosi, there was Max Schreck. In 1922 Schreck played Count Orlok,
> a thinly disguised Count Dracula, in NOSFERATU, a thinly disguised
> version of "Dracula". A bit too thinly disguised, as it turned
> out--Bram Stoker's estate sued the producers for plagiarism, and
> all prints were ordered destroyed. But like many of the Draculas
> in the movies, the film did not die: while all copies still in
> Germany were destroyed, the copies already sent overseas (including
> to the United States) were not. (One reason may have been that
> while the novel was protected by copyright in Germany, it was in
> public domain in the United States due to a copyright error.)

On October 28, I provided live accompaniment for Nosferatu at the
Plaistow, NH public library. The version the library used replaced the
characters' names with the names of Stoker's characters. Count Orlok
became Count Dracula, Hutter became Jonathon (sic) Harker, etc. I found
this mildly annoying, but it wouldn't really matter if you hadn't seen
the original version of the movie.

The "werewolf" is pretty unimpressive. It doesn't look especially
dangerous, and the bit with it could have been left out at no loss.

There are some scenes where Orlok is out in the daytime, most notably
the one where he packs his cart with coffins before leaving the castle.
This is inconsistent with the premise that he dies if he's out at
sunrise. Unless maybe it's only the sunrise, not daylight as such, that
kills him. He isn't in the direct rays of the sun when he vaporizes.
--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: MT VOID, 11/11/22 -- Vol. 41, No. 20, Whole Number 2249

<ae0157a2-8191-4748-95c7-08ac27b94529n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2550&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#2550

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:23:45 -0800 (PST)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:23 UTC

On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 2:56:35 PM UTC-5, Gary McGath wrote:
> On 11/13/22 10:40 AM, ele...@optonline.net wrote:
> > Before Gary Oldman, before Christopher Lee, even before Bela
> > Lugosi, there was Max Schreck. In 1922 Schreck played Count Orlok,
> > a thinly disguised Count Dracula, in NOSFERATU, a thinly disguised
> > version of "Dracula". A bit too thinly disguised, as it turned
> > out--Bram Stoker's estate sued the producers for plagiarism, and
> > all prints were ordered destroyed. But like many of the Draculas
> > in the movies, the film did not die: while all copies still in
> > Germany were destroyed, the copies already sent overseas (including
> > to the United States) were not. (One reason may have been that
> > while the novel was protected by copyright in Germany, it was in
> > public domain in the United States due to a copyright error.)
> On October 28, I provided live accompaniment for Nosferatu at the
> Plaistow, NH public library. The version the library used replaced the
> characters' names with the names of Stoker's characters. Count Orlok
> became Count Dracula, Hutter became Jonathon (sic) Harker, etc. I found
> this mildly annoying, but it wouldn't really matter if you hadn't seen
> the original version of the movie.
>
> The "werewolf" is pretty unimpressive. It doesn't look especially
> dangerous, and the bit with it could have been left out at no loss.
>
> There are some scenes where Orlok is out in the daytime, most notably
> the one where he packs his cart with coffins before leaving the castle.
> This is inconsistent with the premise that he dies if he's out at
> sunrise. Unless maybe it's only the sunrise, not daylight as such, that
> kills him. He isn't in the direct rays of the sun when he vaporizes.
> --

In 1992's "Batman Returns," the character played by Christopher Walken is
named "Max Shreck," with only the one "c."

https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/

A wink from Tim Burton?

--
Kevin R