From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Subject: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:41:54 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 21:41 UTC

Well that was more like it... that's how Doctor Who should be, fast,
action packed and fun! I haven't enjoyed myself for years. I even had
tears in my eyes when Donna "died". "The Star Beast" was a brilliant
return for everyone and what a great way to get back to the basics of
entertaining television on a Saturday evening.

This episode was almost an extension of the Tenth Doctor and Donna
era... and maybe it was? David Tennant's Doctor doesn't seem to be
bringing anything 'new' to the table that you would usually expect
from a new regeneration. But the nostalgia and familiarity is what
made this work. This was a typical RTD era episode of Doctor Who...
just with a bigger budget. It could almost have been 2008 all over
again.

An easy 10/10 for the pure enjoyment of it all... I loved every
minute of it. Roll on next week.

Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast

<uju6cv$1e5g$13@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25714&group=rec.arts.drwho#25714

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 01:18:23 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 01:18 UTC

In article <nnd$7677fece$00b3e525@1e990a58aa14317d>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Well that was more like it... that's how Doctor Who should be, fast,
>action packed and fun! I haven't enjoyed myself for years. I even had
>tears in my eyes when Donna "died". "The Star Beast" was a brilliant
>return for everyone and what a great way to get back to the basics of
>entertaining television on a Saturday evening.
>
>This episode was almost an extension of the Tenth Doctor and Donna
>era... and maybe it was? David Tennant's Doctor doesn't seem to be
>bringing anything 'new' to the table that you would usually expect
>from a new regeneration. But the nostalgia and familiarity is what
>made this work. This was a typical RTD era episode of Doctor Who...
>just with a bigger budget. It could almost have been 2008 all over
>again.
>
>An easy 10/10 for the pure enjoyment of it all... I loved every
>minute of it. Roll on next week.

4 + 8 + 9 +10 = 31 / 4 = 7.75
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast

<5_z8N.898267$LJv3.567351@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25736&group=rec.arts.drwho#25736

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
From: Hornplay...@aol.com (Hornplayer9599)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:39:29 -0600
 by: Hornplayer9599 - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 04:39 UTC

On 11/25/2023 15:41, Blueshirt wrote:
> Well that was more like it... that's how Doctor Who should be, fast,
> action packed and fun! I haven't enjoyed myself for years. I even had
> tears in my eyes when Donna "died". "The Star Beast" was a brilliant
> return for everyone and what a great way to get back to the basics of
> entertaining television on a Saturday evening.
>
> This episode was almost an extension of the Tenth Doctor and Donna
> era... and maybe it was? David Tennant's Doctor doesn't seem to be
> bringing anything 'new' to the table that you would usually expect
> from a new regeneration. But the nostalgia and familiarity is what
> made this work. This was a typical RTD era episode of Doctor Who...
> just with a bigger budget. It could almost have been 2008 all over
> again.
>
> An easy 10/10 for the pure enjoyment of it all... I loved every
> minute of it. Roll on next week.

Overall....not bad. I do think that the pacing of the episode was /way/
too fast. Probably because it is a "special", and not part of a regular
season of stories. They stay that fast once the new season starts, and
there will be no time to do any character development...one of the
things I like about the Classic Who Era.

One item of continuity I noticed. When the UNIT scientific advisor, a
paraplegic, first spoke with the Doctor, she crossed her leg over the
top of the other. Is there something about paralysis that I'm not aware of?

--

Intelligence is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
--Carl Sagan

Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast

<ujurtt$36hqs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25739&group=rec.arts.drwho#25739

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 07:25:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:J5x3j3IjLkZqlWdBt9ihsiNVnx4=
 by: The Last Doctor - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 07:25 UTC

Hornplayer9599 <Hornplayer9599@aol.com> wrote:
> On 11/25/2023 15:41, Blueshirt wrote:
>> Well that was more like it... that's how Doctor Who should be, fast,
>> action packed and fun! I haven't enjoyed myself for years. I even had
>> tears in my eyes when Donna "died". "The Star Beast" was a brilliant
>> return for everyone and what a great way to get back to the basics of
>> entertaining television on a Saturday evening.
>>
>> This episode was almost an extension of the Tenth Doctor and Donna
>> era... and maybe it was? David Tennant's Doctor doesn't seem to be
>> bringing anything 'new' to the table that you would usually expect
>> from a new regeneration. But the nostalgia and familiarity is what
>> made this work. This was a typical RTD era episode of Doctor Who...
>> just with a bigger budget. It could almost have been 2008 all over
>> again.
>>
>> An easy 10/10 for the pure enjoyment of it all... I loved every
>> minute of it. Roll on next week.
>
> Overall....not bad. I do think that the pacing of the episode was /way/
> too fast. Probably because it is a "special", and not part of a regular
> season of stories. They stay that fast once the new season starts, and
> there will be no time to do any character development...one of the
> things I like about the Classic Who Era.
>
> One item of continuity I noticed. When the UNIT scientific advisor, a
> paraplegic, first spoke with the Doctor, she crossed her leg over the
> top of the other. Is there something about paralysis that I'm not aware of?

Ruth Madeley isn’t paraplegic. She has spina bifida and in her case that
has led to severe weakness (though not full paralysis) of the lower limbs.

--
“The timelines and … canon … are rupturing” - the Doctor

Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast

<ujvfva$1u9d$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25778&group=rec.arts.drwho#25778

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 13:07:54 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 13:07 UTC

In article <ujurtt$36hqs$1@dont-email.me>,
The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
>Hornplayer9599 <Hornplayer9599@aol.com> wrote:
>> On 11/25/2023 15:41, Blueshirt wrote:
>>> Well that was more like it... that's how Doctor Who should be, fast,
>>> action packed and fun! I haven't enjoyed myself for years. I even had
>>> tears in my eyes when Donna "died". "The Star Beast" was a brilliant
>>> return for everyone and what a great way to get back to the basics of
>>> entertaining television on a Saturday evening.
>>>
>>> This episode was almost an extension of the Tenth Doctor and Donna
>>> era... and maybe it was? David Tennant's Doctor doesn't seem to be
>>> bringing anything 'new' to the table that you would usually expect
>>> from a new regeneration. But the nostalgia and familiarity is what
>>> made this work. This was a typical RTD era episode of Doctor Who...
>>> just with a bigger budget. It could almost have been 2008 all over
>>> again.
>>>
>>> An easy 10/10 for the pure enjoyment of it all... I loved every
>>> minute of it. Roll on next week.
>>
>> Overall....not bad. I do think that the pacing of the episode was /way/
>> too fast. Probably because it is a "special", and not part of a regular
>> season of stories. They stay that fast once the new season starts, and
>> there will be no time to do any character development...one of the
>> things I like about the Classic Who Era.
>>
>> One item of continuity I noticed. When the UNIT scientific advisor, a
>> paraplegic, first spoke with the Doctor, she crossed her leg over the
>> top of the other. Is there something about paralysis that I'm not aware of?
>>

>Ruth Madeley isn’t paraplegic. She has spina bifida and in her case that
>has led to severe weakness (though not full paralysis) of the lower limbs.

Still a beauty!

>--
>“The timelines and … canon … are rupturing” - the Doctor

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast

<9QI8N.1094510$D%n3.677439@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25798&group=rec.arts.drwho#25798

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
From: Hornplay...@aol.com (Hornplayer9599)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 08:43:17 -0600
 by: Hornplayer9599 - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:43 UTC

On 11/26/2023 01:25, The Last Doctor wrote:
> Hornplayer9599 <Hornplayer9599@aol.com> wrote:
>> On 11/25/2023 15:41, Blueshirt wrote:
>>> Well that was more like it... that's how Doctor Who should be, fast,
>>> action packed and fun! I haven't enjoyed myself for years. I even had
>>> tears in my eyes when Donna "died". "The Star Beast" was a brilliant
>>> return for everyone and what a great way to get back to the basics of
>>> entertaining television on a Saturday evening.
>>>
>>> This episode was almost an extension of the Tenth Doctor and Donna
>>> era... and maybe it was? David Tennant's Doctor doesn't seem to be
>>> bringing anything 'new' to the table that you would usually expect
>>> from a new regeneration. But the nostalgia and familiarity is what
>>> made this work. This was a typical RTD era episode of Doctor Who...
>>> just with a bigger budget. It could almost have been 2008 all over
>>> again.
>>>
>>> An easy 10/10 for the pure enjoyment of it all... I loved every
>>> minute of it. Roll on next week.
>>
>> Overall....not bad. I do think that the pacing of the episode was /way/
>> too fast. Probably because it is a "special", and not part of a regular
>> season of stories. They stay that fast once the new season starts, and
>> there will be no time to do any character development...one of the
>> things I like about the Classic Who Era.
>>
>> One item of continuity I noticed. When the UNIT scientific advisor, a
>> paraplegic, first spoke with the Doctor, she crossed her leg over the
>> top of the other. Is there something about paralysis that I'm not aware of?
>>

> Ruth Madeley isn’t paraplegic. She has spina bifida and in her case that
> has led to severe weakness (though not full paralysis) of the lower limbs.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification.
--

Intelligence is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
--Carl Sagan

Re: Doctor Who - 60th Anniversary Special Ep1 - The Star Beast

<ujvoav$2a8s$6@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=25806&group=rec.arts.drwho#25806

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:30:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:30 UTC

In article <9QI8N.1094510$D%n3.677439@fx01.ams4>,
Hornplayer9599 <Hornplayer9599@aol.com> wrote:
>On 11/26/2023 01:25, The Last Doctor wrote:
>> Hornplayer9599 <Hornplayer9599@aol.com> wrote:

>>> Overall....not bad. I do think that the pacing of the episode was /way/
>>> too fast. Probably because it is a "special", and not part of a regular
>>> season of stories. They stay that fast once the new season starts, and
>>> there will be no time to do any character development...one of the
>>> things I like about the Classic Who Era.
>>>
>>> One item of continuity I noticed. When the UNIT scientific advisor, a
>>> paraplegic, first spoke with the Doctor, she crossed her leg over the
>>> top of the other. Is there something about paralysis that I'm not aware of?
>>>

>> Ruth Madeley isn’t paraplegic. She has spina bifida and in her case that
>> has led to severe weakness (though not full paralysis) of the lower limbs.
>>

>Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

Still damn good!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca