Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 03:19:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: McCartney on Bass Influences
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:19 UTC

Q: You were responsible for many musicians in the later 60s starting to accept the bass in a new way, compared to what you were saying about "lumbered" with it around 1960.

McCartney: It became a bit more skillful, yeah. I wouldn't personally credit myself, but thanks for that. But part of it, I think, [Motown session bassist] James Jamerson, him and me, I'd share the credit there. I was nicking a lot off him. [Snip of comments on McCarrtney's father's influence.] Mainly as time went on it was James Jamerson -- who became just my hero really. I didn't actually know his name until quite recently. James was very melodic and that got me more interested.

Actually he and Brian Wilson were my two biggest influences: James because he was so good and melodic, Brian because he went to very unusual places. Brian would use, if you were playing in C, he'd stay on the G a lot just to hold it all back, and I realized the power you had within the band.

[End of interview excerpt.]

McCartney doesn't specify which supposed Brian Wilson basslines he refers to. If he's talking about the ones from the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, the bassist was actually Carol Kaye.

Re: McCartney on Bass Influences

<super70s-2473F4.15383004012022@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2595&group=rec.music.beatles#2595

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Re: McCartney on Bass Influences
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 15:38:30 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 21:38 UTC

In article <63398a47-d7cf-46a4-8039-4a696c45abb9n@googlegroups.com>,
Norbert K <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually he and Brian Wilson were my two biggest influences: James because he
> was so good and melodic, Brian because he went to very unusual places. Brian
> would use, if you were playing in C, he'd stay on the G a lot just to hold it
> all back, and I realized the power you had within the band.
>
> [End of interview excerpt.]
>
> McCartney doesn't specify which supposed Brian Wilson basslines he refers to.
> If he's talking about the ones from the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, the bassist
> was actually Carol Kaye.

Yeah Brian had become more interested in production by Pet Sounds,
driving a lot of the session musicians crazy with his eccentricities.