From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: "House Of The Dragon" Fans Erupt Over "Forced Birth" Scene In Explosive Premiere
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 04:30:47 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

: This article contains spoilers for the first episode.

"Game of Thrones" fans were delighted that the highly anticipated prequel
series "House of the Dragon" debuted on HBO Max last night, but even those
seemingly immune to gory content are reacting to one graphic scene in the
series premiere.

The central story takes place about 200 years before the events in "Game of
Thrones," spanning the legacy of the Targaryen family. In the first episode,
Queen Aemma (Sian Brooke) dies while giving birth to her son when her
husband, King Viserys (Paddy Considine), opts to put his wife through an
undermedicated and brutal c-section in an effort to save the sole male heir.

Fans reacted strongly to the emotional, graphic scene, plus reacted to what
they called "forced birth" on the part of Queen Aemma.

"Still think the worse [sic] thing about Aemma's death is how Viserys took
away her ability to choose in favor of treating her like a broodmare," one
Twitter reviewer wrote.

Another agreed, saying, "That birthing scene was brutal. Shedding tears!!"

"Damn Aemma Arryn lasted less episodes than Ned Stark," a third said,
comparing the queen to a popular "Game of Thrones" character who got killed
off in the first season in a surprise twist.

Damn Aemma Arryn lasted less episodes than Ned Stark #hotd #HouseoftheDragon
pic.twitter.com/ftPrA1JV1T

-- Alex (@alexr_241) August 22, 2022

Predictably, fans used the scene to draw comparisons between the overturning
of Roe v. Wade and the notion of a man forcing his wife to die horrifically
from a c-section in a non-medical setting. This was not necessarily the
intent of showrunners, however, as the Supreme Court decision wasn't handed
down until after filming had concluded.

"Yes it's accurate in terms of historical context, but it's still horrifying
to see, & doesn't take away the point that she still should have had a choice
about her own body," one Twitter user shared. "Very timely given Roe vs Wade
& how despite modern medicine, we're still told what to do with our bodies."

"Can't wait to listen to men talk about what a great show House of the Dragon
is all week. Meanwhile women are watching an exact mirror of the world we
live in with forced birth, no rights, rape, violence, and murder at the hands
of our husbands. ItS fAnTaSy ThO," another wrote.

Brooke discussed filming the scene during a recent interview with Variety.
"It was a bloodbath," the actress recalled. "Behind that belly was a whole
bag full of blood and fluid. When the incision was made, they would have to
time it with pumping this blood out of the belly."

She described the fake blood as "cold and wet, seeping all over." Brooke
mentioned that the set "looked like a horror movie" after filming concluded.

The actress directly addressed the connection between the c-section and
abortion as well.

"When we filmed it, it obviously didn't cross my mind because it hadn't
happened," Brooke said of Roe v. Wade's reversal.

"Now, you realize how shocking that is, that comparisons can be made between
present day, and a woman's body and the right to choose what happens to her
body, and thousands of years ago. I just think the fact that we're even
talking about it, is evident in itself. It's very poignant what can happen
within a year, and how far we can step back."

"House of the Dragon" airs Sundays at 9 p.m. EST on HBO Max.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: "House Of The Dragon" Fans Erupt Over "Forced Birth" Scene In Explosive Premiere

<atropos-AA4ADE.10563223082022@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2598&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2598

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:56:32 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:56 UTC

In article <te2cbt$2vg0p$7@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> : This article contains spoilers for the first episode.
>
> GAME OF THRONES fans were delighted that the highly anticipated prequel
> series "House of the Dragon" debuted on HBO Max last night, but even those
> seemingly immune to gory content are reacting to one graphic scene in the
> series premiere.
>
> The central story takes place about 200 years before the events in GAME OF
> THRONES, spanning the legacy of the Targaryen family. In the first episode,
> Queen Aemma (Sian Brooke) dies while giving birth to her son when her
> husband, King Viserys (Paddy Considine), opts to put his wife through an
> undermedicated and brutal c-section in an effort to save the sole male heir.
>
> Fans reacted strongly to the emotional, graphic scene, plus reacted to what
> they called "forced birth" on the part of Queen Aemma.

Yeah, I watched it last night and I knew that scene was gonna rile up
the pro-abortion crowd.

It's a medieval patriarchal society with a king that has absolute power
and which places heavy emphasis on royal lineage. Of course the king was
going to choose saving the baby boy over the life of his wife, even if
he liked his wife-- which wasn't the case in many arranged royal
marriages. (I was confused as to why the kid died, though. After the
bloody c-section, the kid was alive and crying normally, then the next
scene we see the queen bundled up on her funeral pyre and there's
another small bundle next to her and people are talking about the kid
being dead, too.)

Bitching about women's rights in this context is idiotic. There are a
lot of other barbaric practices shown on the show with men being beaten,
detesticlized, and beheaded based on mere accusation of crime, so it's
not like it's just the women who have few rights in that society.

This is reminiscent of the original show's portrayal of Sansa Stark's
rape on her wedding night. The feminist brigade went nuts, condemning
the show for such a brutal scene of misogyny. They were running the full
Social Justice Warrior playbook, with calls to boycott the show, etc.

There was literally an entire army of forcibly castrated slave warriors
on the show and they didn't bat an eye at that. Theon Greyjoy was
tortured, mutilated, and had his junk sliced off-- not a peep. But the
moment a female character had a bad night-- off screen, no less-- it was
"Man the battle stations!" because now they've gone too far.

> "Yes it's accurate in terms of historical context, but it's still horrifying
> to see, & doesn't take away the point that she still should have had a choice
> about her own body," one Twitter user shared. "Very timely given Roe vs Wade
> & how despite modern medicine, we're still told what to do with our bodies."
>
> "Can't wait to listen to men talk about what a great show House of the Dragon
> is all week. Meanwhile women are watching an exact mirror of the world we
> live in with forced birth, no rights,

Oh, FFS. Show me where it's now legal to hold a woman down and cut her
her belly open with a rusty knife, letting her bleed out, while the baby
is ripped from inside her. Show me where that's happened with the
blessing of the law. "An exact mirror" my ass. And "no rights"? I wasn't
aware that the Roe case was also the font from which all women's rights
have flowed. So according to this silly bint, without Roe, all the
rights in the Bill of Rights only apply to men now?

Re: "House Of The Dragon" Fans Erupt Over "Forced Birth" Scene In Explosive Premiere

<niqNK.829445$J0r9.233802@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2599&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2599

Subject: Re: "House Of The Dragon" Fans Erupt Over "Forced Birth" Scene In
Explosive Premiere
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.sf.tv
From: Non...@fake.net (Bill Idgerant)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 08:09:23 -0600
 by: Bill Idgerant - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:09 UTC

....it's FICTION! With dragons (not real), and trees with faces (not
real) in a fake land (not real)!

--
Bill Idgerant
(Not a real person)

Re: "House Of The Dragon" Fans Erupt Over "Forced Birth" Scene In Explosive Premiere

<20220824221815@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2600&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2600

From: rogbl...@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.tv.hbo,rec.arts.sf.tv
Explosive Premiere
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 22:19:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Wed, 24 Aug 2022 22:19 UTC

On 2022-08-23, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I watched it last night and I knew that scene was gonna rile up
> the pro-abortion crowd.

Liberals, leftists, "progressives", scumbags, a cancer - whatever
you want to call them - have an irresistable, virtually instinctive
urge to twist everything in their sight to fit into the politics of
their addled world-view.

It would be funny if these mindless robots and marching morons had
not managed to bull their way into power to inflict their bullshit
on the rest of us.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com