Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Marvel To Feature Israeli Superhero In Captain America Movie. Anti-Semites Go On Attack.
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:17:05 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 01:17 UTC

The Marvel Cinematic Universe announced it was expanding with a new
Israeli superhero and anti-Semites flooded social media with their
hatred.

Actress Shira Haas, who soared to fame with her role on the award-
winning Israeli series �Shtisel,� will star as former Mossad agent Ruth
Bat-Seraph, aka �Sabra,� in the next Captain America movie, �Captain
America: New World Order.�

Israeli actress Shira Haas joined the Marvel cast in the
fourth "Captain America" film, ????in which she will play
an Israeli superheroine 'Sabra'. ??????
pic.twitter.com/wzSnYpVHuK

� Hananya Naftali (@HananyaNaftali) September 11, 2022

�Bat-Seraph� means daughter of an angel; the word �sabra� in Israel
means a native-born Israeli as it refers to a cactus, which is tough on
the outside but soft and sweet on the inside.

�Her powers include super strength and stamina, and her costume often
incorporates the Israel flag and the Star of David,� The Times of
Israel reported.

Sabra will be in CAPTAIN AMERICA: NEW WORLD ORDER.

We will be living in a world with a live action Sabra in the
movies.

I never saw that coming. pic.twitter.com/4iLEBb06wT
� Dan Slott (@DanSlott) September 10, 2022

According to the comics featuring her, Ruth Bat-Seraph was born near
Jerusalem and raised on a special kibbutz after her powers became
apparent. She first fought the Hulk when she believed he was working
with terrorists. After her son was murdered in a terrorist attack, she
ignored orders and brought the terrorists to justice.

In the comics, she has the capacity to transfer her own life energy to
others, and saved people who were dying twice.

Anti-Semites quickly jumped on the announcement by claiming the name
�Sabra� was a reference to the killings of Palestinians in the Sabra
and Chatilla refugee camps in 1982, but it was pointed out that the
Marvel character �Sabra� was first introduced by Marvel in 1980, two
years before the incidents.

Something I never thought I'd tweet, but Marvel calling an
Israeli superhero "Sabra" is because Jews born in the region
have been referred to as "Sabras" (a local fruit, prickly on
the outside, soft on the inside) since the 30s. It's not
referencing the Sabra & Shatila massacre.
pic.twitter.com/gryr7UIj03

� Daniel Sugarman (@Daniel_Sugarman) September 12, 2022

Other actors to appear in the movie include Anthony Mackie as Sam
Wilson, who was formerly The Falcon before becoming Captain America,
Carl Lumbly as Isaiah Bradley, Danny Ramirez as Joaquin Torrez, who
becomes The Falcon, and Tim Blake Nelson as Dr. Samuel Sterns, the
hyper intelligent Leader.

The original Captain America, Steve Rogers, handed his iconic shield to
Sam Wilson at the end of the film �Avengers: Endgame.�

New World Order director Julias Onah said of the change in Captain
Americas, �Well, look, he is a different human being and coming from a
different set of experiences. Back in the Winter Soldier, we saw what
it means for somebody like him to take the shield. But it is also a
very different MCU. It�s a post-blip MCU. It�s a post-Thanos MCU. So,
the world has changed a lot too. And the role of a hero has changed.�

Speaking on Saturday at D23 Expo 2022, Mackie praised the upcoming
film, enthusing, �It�s going to be beautiful!�

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Marvel To Feature Israeli Superhero In Captain America Movie. Anti-Semites Go On Attack.

<qR2dnR8lmudZrrz-nZ2dnZfqn_pg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2644&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2644

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 01:52:04 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 01:52 UTC

On Sep 13, 2022 at 6:17:05 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> The Marvel Cinematic Universe announced it was expanding with a new
> Israeli superhero and anti-Semites flooded social media with their
> hatred.

Wait for Mime's head to explode in 3... 2... 1...

> Actress Shira Haas, who soared to fame with her role on the award-
> winning Israeli series SHTISEL, will star as former Mossad agent Ruth
> Bat-Seraph, aka "Sabra", in the next Captain America movie, CAPTAIN
> AMERICA: NEW WORLD ORDER

So is this set after the FALCON/WINTER SOLDIER Disney series?

> "Bat-Seraph" means daughter of an angel; the word "sabra" in Israel
> means a native-born Israeli as it refers to a cactus, which is tough on
> the outside but soft and sweet on the inside.
>
> "Her powers include super strength and stamina, and her costume often
> incorporates the Israeli flag and the Star of David," The Times of
> Israel reported.
>
> According to the comics featuring her, Ruth Bat-Seraph was born near
> Jerusalem and raised on a special kibbutz after her powers became
> apparent. She first fought the Hulk when she believed he was working
> with terrorists. After her son was murdered in a terrorist attack, she
> ignored orders and brought the terrorists to justice.
>
> In the comics, she has the capacity to transfer her own life energy to
> others, and saved people who were dying twice.
>
> Anti-Semites quickly jumped on the announcement by claiming the name
> "Sabra" was a reference to the killings of Palestinians in the Sabra
> and Chatilla refugee camps in 1982, but it was pointed out that the
> Marvel character "Sabra" was first introduced by Marvel in 1980, two
> years before the incidents.
>
> Something I never thought I'd tweet, but Marvel calling an
> Israeli superhero "Sabra" is because Jews born in the region
> have been referred to as "sabras" (a local fruit, prickly on
> the outside, soft on the inside) since the 30s. It's not
> referencing the Sabra & Shatila massacre.
> pic.twitter.com/gryr7UIj03
>
> — Daniel Sugarman (@Daniel_Sugarman) September 12, 2022
>
> Other actors to appear in the movie include Anthony Mackie as Sam
> Wilson, who was formerly The Falcon before becoming Captain America,
> Carl Lumbly as Isaiah Bradley, Danny Ramirez as Joaquin Torrez, who
> becomes The Falcon, and Tim Blake Nelson as Dr. Samuel Sterns, the
> hyper intelligent Leader.
>
> The original Captain America, Steve Rogers, handed his iconic shield to
> Sam Wilson at the end of the film AVENGERS: ENDGAME.
>
> NEW WORLD ORDER director Julias Onah said of the change in Captain
> Americas, "Well, look, he is a different human being and coming from a
> different set of experiences. Back in the WINTER SOLDIER, we saw what
> it means for somebody like him to take the shield. But it is also a
> very different MCU. It’s a post-blip MCU. It’s a post-Thanos MCU. So,
> the world has changed a lot, too. And the role of a hero has changed."

How exactly does being post-blip and post-Thanos mean the role of a hero has
changed?

This sounds more like a soft-pedal way for him to say this is post-Floyd, so
the role of a hero has changed to non-white.
> Speaking on Saturday at D23 Expo 2022, Mackie praised the upcoming
> film, enthusing, "It's going to be beautiful!"

Re: Marvel To Feature Israeli Superhero In Captain America Movie. Anti-Semites Go On Attack.

<tfsdsn$2teap$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2646&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2646

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 04:30:45 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2022 at 6:17:05 PM PDT, "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> The Marvel Cinematic Universe announced it was expanding with a new
>> Israeli superhero and anti-Semites flooded social media with their
>> hatred.
>
> Wait for Mime's head to explode in 3... 2... 1...

I suspect FPP won't be happy about this, either.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Marvel To Feature Israeli Superhero In Captain America Movie. Anti-Semites Go On Attack.

<tfvuul$3dejo$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2648&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2648

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Supersedes: <tfsdsn$2teap$5@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:36:08 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:36 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> The Marvel Cinematic Universe announced it was expanding with a new
>> Israeli superhero and anti-Semites flooded social media with their
>> hatred.
>
> Wait for Mime's head to explode in 3... 2... 1...

Heh.

--
Let's go Brandon!