Confessions may be good for the soul, but they are bad for the reputation. -- Lord Thomas Dewar

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

SubjectAuthor
* Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoNorbert K
`* Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoP-Dub
 `* Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoNorbert K
  `* Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoBlueshirt
   `* Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoNorbert K
    `* Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoP-Dub
     `- Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With YokoNorbert K

1
Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<45ff8023-af46-494c-a0f1-c385fa096681n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2622&group=rec.music.beatles#2622

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 05:47:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 13:47 UTC

This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John. The context is that this was a time when Cynthia felt that, when John was "off drugs," he was "almost his old self"; but when tripping, he was "slipping away" from Cynthia. On this particular occasion, driver Les Anthony had taken Cynthia and John to a Maharishi event. Cynthia noticed a little, black-clad Japanese woman who introduced herself to the group as Yoko. The following is quoted directly from the book:

At the end of the evening [driver Les] Anthony was waiting outside for us. He opened the car door and, to my astonishment, Yoko climbed in ahead of us. John gave me a look that intimated he didn't know what the hell was going on, shrugging, palms upturned, nonplussed. He leaned and asked if we could give her a ride somewhere. "Oh, yes please. Twenty-five Hanover Gate," Yoko replied. He climbed in and not another word was said until we dropped her off, when she said, "Good-bye, thank you," and got out.

"How bizarre," I said to John. What was that all about?

"Search me, Cyn." He insisted he hadn't invited Yoko and knew nothing of her being there, but common sense dictated that it had to have been John who asked her to come.Whatever my doubts, though, it was clear that he wasn't going to provide an explanation.

[End of excerpt.]

Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<16b6acc0-4785-47fe-b224-0d55c3784691n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2648&group=rec.music.beatles#2648

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:21:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko
From: pwolf...@gmail.com (P-Dub)
 by: P-Dub - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:21 UTC

On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 8:47:15 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John. The context is that this was a time when Cynthia felt that, when John was "off drugs," he was "almost his old self"; but when tripping, he was "slipping away" from Cynthia. On this particular occasion, driver Les Anthony had taken Cynthia and John to a Maharishi event. Cynthia noticed a little, black-clad Japanese woman who introduced herself to the group as Yoko. The following is quoted directly from the book:
>
> At the end of the evening [driver Les] Anthony was waiting outside for us.. He opened the car door and, to my astonishment, Yoko climbed in ahead of us. John gave me a look that intimated he didn't know what the hell was going on, shrugging, palms upturned, nonplussed. He leaned and asked if we could give her a ride somewhere. "Oh, yes please. Twenty-five Hanover Gate," Yoko replied. He climbed in and not another word was said until we dropped her off, when she said, "Good-bye, thank you," and got out.
>
> "How bizarre," I said to John. What was that all about?
>
> "Search me, Cyn." He insisted he hadn't invited Yoko and knew nothing of her being there, but common sense dictated that it had to have been John who asked her to come.Whatever my doubts, though, it was clear that he wasn't going to provide an explanation.
>
> [End of excerpt.]

Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was instigating arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.

Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<fe445cc1-1078-4086-928b-94c3b7875f1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2649&group=rec.music.beatles#2649

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:45:32 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:45 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 3:21:25 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:
> On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 8:47:15 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John. The context is that this was a time when Cynthia felt that, when John was "off drugs," he was "almost his old self"; but when tripping, he was "slipping away" from Cynthia. On this particular occasion, driver Les Anthony had taken Cynthia and John to a Maharishi event. Cynthia noticed a little, black-clad Japanese woman who introduced herself to the group as Yoko. The following is quoted directly from the book:
> >
> > At the end of the evening [driver Les] Anthony was waiting outside for us. He opened the car door and, to my astonishment, Yoko climbed in ahead of us. John gave me a look that intimated he didn't know what the hell was going on, shrugging, palms upturned, nonplussed. He leaned and asked if we could give her a ride somewhere. "Oh, yes please. Twenty-five Hanover Gate," Yoko replied. He climbed in and not another word was said until we dropped her off, when she said, "Good-bye, thank you," and got out.
> >
> > "How bizarre," I said to John. What was that all about?
> >
> > "Search me, Cyn." He insisted he hadn't invited Yoko and knew nothing of her being there, but common sense dictated that it had to have been John who asked her to come.Whatever my doubts, though, it was clear that he wasn't going to provide an explanation.
> >
> > [End of excerpt.]
> Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was instigating arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.

I agree with you that Get Back gives a much more positive portrait of the Beatles themselves than Let It Be does.

There are, however, those moments where Yoko is given a microphone, and she makes all that freaky and frankly disturbing noise. A person unfamiliar with the John & Yoko backstory would be baffled as to why these horrifying intrusions were being allowed at all. Why, when you've got those four talented guys trying to get their songs together, is this person being allowed to defecate all over the studio like that?

There's also that part where all the guys are interacting sweetly with Linda's daughter and Yoko appears (to me, anyway) to be seething that this little girl is the recipient of all the attention.

Fortunately, it's easy enough to skip through the Onoized parts of the footage and that's what I'll do in the future.

Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<sri959$mdk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2650&group=rec.music.beatles#2650

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:40:57 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:40 UTC

On 10/01/2022 20:45, Norbert K wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 3:21:25 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:
>> On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 8:47:15 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
>> Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was instigating arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.
>
> I agree with you that Get Back gives a much more positive portrait of the Beatles themselves than Let It Be does.

An eight-hour documentary film of the "Abbey Road" sessions might be
more revealing! ;-)

Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<ebbae518-02a6-40e4-ad5d-6940646041f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2651&group=rec.music.beatles#2651

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:57:13 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 21:57 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:41:00 PM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
> On 10/01/2022 20:45, Norbert K wrote:
> > On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 3:21:25 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:
> >> On Friday, January 7, 2022 at 8:47:15 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> >> Yoko definitely messed things up for the Beatles. But watching Get Back, I was surprised. It seemed Yoko was behaving and not getting in the way much during those days in Twickenham and Saville Row. I always had a mental picture that she was instigating arguments during those times - from what had been written about it. I didn't see that, and those guys filmed a lot of stuff. Other than George's quitting issue - the Beatles seemed to be getting along just fine.
> >
> > I agree with you that Get Back gives a much more positive portrait of the Beatles themselves than Let It Be does.
> An eight-hour documentary film of the "Abbey Road" sessions might be
> more revealing! ;-)

Imagine that? I'd have preferred such a documentary on Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or Revolver.

Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<6759f2d2-a20c-4b36-8650-2495b6bfefd8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2657&group=rec.music.beatles#2657

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:23:41 -0800 (PST)
From: pwolf...@gmail.com (P-Dub)
 by: P-Dub - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:23 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:57:15 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:41:00 PM UTC-5, Blueshirt wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree with you that Get Back gives a much more positive portrait of the Beatles themselves than Let It Be does.
> > An eight-hour documentary film of the "Abbey Road" sessions might be
> > more revealing! ;-)
> Imagine that? I'd have preferred such a documentary on Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or Revolver.

They didn't hire a film crew for Abbey Road. Pity.

Re: Cynthia Lennon's First Encounter With Yoko

<e35a91a2-ff6c-40dd-ae5e-0f2344306a9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2658&group=rec.music.beatles#2658

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 11:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:43 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:23:42 PM UTC-5, P-Dub wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 4:57:15 PM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:

> > > An eight-hour documentary film of the "Abbey Road" sessions might be
> > > more revealing! ;-)
> > Imagine that? I'd have preferred such a documentary on Abbey Road or Rubber Soul or Revolver.
> They didn't hire a film crew for Abbey Road. Pity.

Yeah. Paul, George, and Ringo were at the top of their instrumental games on Abbey Road. George was peaking as a songwriter.

John's best rhythm guitar playing had passed years earlier. However, his partners + George Martin knew how to flesh John's simple demos out into masterpieces. I'm thinking of "Come Together" and "Because."