From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: alt.mythology, alt.fantasy, rec.arts.sf.written, rec.arts.books.tolkien, alt.books.marion-zimmer-bradley, alt.folklore
Subject: Re: Celtic themes in fantasy literature
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 00:54:53 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 03:24 UTC

This post by Steve Hayes to alt.mythology and some other
groups may be of interest to the groups I have added.

On Aug 12, 2023, Steve Hayes wrote
(in article<56cedi5t1h0pp0r2p0uc0bsn3kk3trbskm@4ax.com>):

> In her introduction to this useful and insightful collection,
> co-editor Dimitra Fimi writes: “This edited volume aims to open a
> conversation about fantasy's multifaceted and enduring fascination
> with the Celtic past, and its various perceptions” (p. 4). Fimi notes
> that, while previous scholarship (including her own 2017 monograph)
> has focused on work written for children, the essays in this volume
> examine texts aimed at adult readers. The collection is divided into
> four sections: the first deals with what is loosely defined as
> “intrusion fantasy,” in which a Celtic “otherworld” overlaps with our
> own; section two looks at “worldbuilding” and the way authors use
> Celtic elements to create a fantasy world; section three has
> discussion of works in languages other than English; and the fourth
> and final section looks at how “the fantastic is situated within
> cultural practices perceived as Celtic” (p. 5).
>
> Read it all here:
>
> <http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/imagining-the-celtic-past-in-modern-fa
> ntasy-edited-by-dimitra-fimi-and-alistair-j-p-sims/>
>
> Read my thoughts on it here:
>
> <https://methodius.blogspot.com/2023/08/celtic-themes-in-fantasy-literature-an
> d.html>

"This could be the final breath; This is life and death;
This is hard rock and water; Out here between wind and flame;
Between tears and elation; Lies a secret nation" (Ron Hynes)