Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 07:11:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MT VOID, 03/31/23 -- Vol. 41, No. 40, Whole Number 2269
From: evelynch...@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 14:11 UTC

THE MT VOID
03/31/23 -- Vol. 41, No. 40, Whole Number 2269

Co-Editor: Mark Leeper, mleeper@optonline.net
Co-Editor: Evelyn Leeper, eleeper@optonline.net
Sending Address: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com
All material is the opinion of the author and is copyrighted by the
author unless otherwise noted.
All comments sent or posted will be assumed authorized for
inclusion unless otherwise noted.

The latest issue is at <http://www.leepers.us/mtvoid/latest.htm>.
An index with links to the issues of the MT VOID since 1986 is at
<http://leepers.us/mtvoid/back_issues.htm>.

Topics:
Science Fiction (and Other) Discussion Groups, Films,
Lectures, etc. (NJ)
Mark's Picks for Turner Classic Movies in April
(comments by Mark R. Leeper)
Audio/Video Parodies of Science Fiction (letter of comment
by Garth Spencer)
Ivar the Boneless, Florence Pugh (PUSS IN BOOTS--THE LAST
WISH, DON'T WORRY DARLING), AMSTERDAM, LONGBOURNE,
ORPHANS OF THE SKY and Heinlein's Attitudes about
Women, THE WOMAN KING, and the Chengdu Worldcon
(letter of comment by Taras Wolansky)
This Week's Reading (LINCOLN'S CITADEL) (book comments
by Evelyn C. Leeper)

May 4, 2023 (MTPL), 5:30PM: BEYOND THE INFINITE TWO MINUTES (2021)
& THE 7TH VOYAGE OF EGON TICHY (2020) & story
by Stanislaw Lem (1957)
<https://tinyurl.com/LemTichy7th>
June 1, 2023 (MTPL), 5:30PM ALTERED STATES (1980) & novel
by Paddy Chayefsky
May 25, 2023 (OBPL), 7:00PM: ATTACK SURFACE by Cory Doctorow

TOPIC: Mark's Picks for Turner Classic Movies in April (comments
by Mark R. Leeper)

In January, while I was recommending THE CROWDED SKY, based on a
Hank Seals novel, I wrote about the another Searls novel, THE
PILGRIM PROJECT, and the surprisingly credible film COUNTDOWN
inspired by it. Sadly, I could not say where the latter film could
be found. Probably, in the back of my mind I expected it would
show up the following month or so, and sure enough COUNTDOWN is
scheduled to play on TCM in April. As I noted, "Fans of Michael
Crichton's techno-thrillers should take a good look at Hank Searls
stories. Both author wrote novels with a near-future science
fictional premise. His 1960 THE PILGRIM PROJECT was about a 1960
government program to put the first man on the moon."

[COUNTDOWN (1968), Tuesday, April 25, 4:15 AM]

And another recommendation, this time from Mark's mother: AMERICA,
AMERICA.

[AMERICA, AMERICA (1963), Friday, April 14, 12:15 AM]

Films of interest (with a heavy emphasis on the fantastic):
04/04 10:15 AM The Maltese Falcon (1931)
[not the Bogart version,
but rather the first version filmed]
04/05 8:00 AM Svengali (1931)
04/07 7:15 AM Moby Dick (1930)
[has to be seen to be believed]
04/07 12:15 PM When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1971)
04/09 7:00 AM The Green Pastures (1936)
04/09 6:00 PM Oh, God! (1977)
04/10 1:15 PM The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
04/10 2:45 PM Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1970)
04/10 6:15 PM Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)
04/15 2:15 AM House of Wax (1953)
04/15 5:30 AM Doctor X (1932)
04/15 7:00 AM Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
04/15 9:00 AM Them! (1954)
04/15 11:00 AM The Bad Seed (1956)
04/15 3:30 PM What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
04/16 4:15 AM Camelot (1967)
04/17 8:45 AM Treasure Island (1973)
04/17 10:30 AM The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964)
04/19 3:45 PM Between Two Worlds (1944)
04/20 4:30 AM The Beast with Five Fingers (1946)
04/21 6:45 AM Finian's Rainbow (1968)
04/22 2:45 PM Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
04/22 6:00 PM Time After Time (1979)
04/23 6:30 AM A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935)
04/24 8:00 AM The Swarm (1978)
04/24 4:15 PM It's Alive (1974)
04/24 6:00 PM The Omega Man (1971)
04/25 4:15 AM Countdown (1968)
04/29 8:00 AM The Horn Blows at Midnight (1945)

[-mrl]

TOPIC: Audio/Video Parodies of Science Fiction (letter of comment
by Garth Spencer)

Garth Spencer writes (from Vancouver, Canada):

I have a very difficult time finding things to comment on in the MT
VOID, so instead I’m going to pull a comment out of left field: do
fans in your area produce any audio or video parodies of science
fiction? Without thinking too hard I came up with three such
parodies from SF groups in Canada--"Dawn of the Living Socks",
"Beavra", and "Cattlefarm Galactica"--but they all date to the
early 1980s. [-gs]

TOPIC: Ivar the Boneless, Florence Pugh (PUSS IN BOOTS--THE LAST
WISH, DON'T WORRY DARLING), AMSTERDAM, LONGBOURNE, ORPHANS OF THE
SKY and Heinlein's Attitudes about Women, THE WOMAN KING, and the
Chengdu Worldcon (letter of comment by Taras Wolansky)

Taras Wolansky writes:

Thanks for many great issues of the VOID.

It's remarkable that we know the name, Ivar the Boneless, but we
don't know why he was called "boneless". Historians have suggested
he was crippled in some way; but I speculate that it came from
showing unusual flexibility in dodging a blow in a fight. We are
also unsure why his father, Ragnar Lodbrok (or Lothbrok), the main
character in the VIKINGS TV series, was called Lodbrok ("hairy
breeches"). I like to imagine it comes from an incident in which
his camp was ambushed at night, and he went into battle without his
pants!

Filmwise, I will follow the great Florence Pugh anywhere. She's in
both the entertaining new PUSS IN BOOTS, as Goldilocks, leader of
the Three Bears gang; and she's the "darling" who had better start
worrying, in DONT WORRY DARLING. In Zach Braff's A GOOD PERSON she
not only acts up a storm, but sings several songs of her own
composition, accompanying herself on the piano.

I see a lot of movies in the theater--about 124 last year--and I
always write a thumbnail review for myself, in case I forget what
they're about. Here's part of my thumbnail for AMSTERDAM: "The
rather melodramatic and clichéd ending is dragged out to an
excruciating degree, trying the patience of the entire audience
(me). First time I ever yelled, 'editor' in a movie theater."

I enjoy Jane Austen spin-offs, and I looked at Jo Baker's
LONGBOURNE, but decided it was too anachronistic. A job in the
"big house" might look like terrible drudgery to us, but for a poor
English farm girl ca. 1800, it was highly prized. Basically, she
would do much the same work she did at home, but get paid for it,
which would enable her to save for a dowry. Also, she had the rare
privilege, in an agricultural society, of working indoors, out of
the sun and rain and snow. The scene Evelyn describes, in which
the girl resents getting a cast-off dress as a present, also
strikes me as very 21st Century: the dress would, of course,
become her "Sunday best".

Joe K. is probably wrong to judge Robert Heinlein's real attitudes
about women in the Forties based on what a backward character says
in ORPHANS OF THE SKY. Off the top of my head: In "Let There Be
Light" (1940), Heinlein gives us a male engineer and a brilliant
woman biophysicist who collaborate to create a solar cell that
revolutionizes the world. In "Delilah and the Space Rigger"
(1949), a woman engineer conceals her sex to get a job building a
space station, and proves herself indispensable to the misogynistic
construction chief.

I gave THE WOMAN KING a go by precisely for the reason others have
cited, its faulty (dare I say, tendentious) account of the African
slave trade.

Interestingly, we can find a truer account in Zora Neale Hurston's
BARRACOON, first published in 2018 but written in 1931. It is
based on her interview with the last surviving African-born slave
in the U.S., illegally smuggled into the country just before the
Civil War. (A death penalty offense at the time: a slave ship
captain was hanged a few years later.) The man's village had
refused to pay tribute to the King of Dahomey, so the King sent his
soldiers, including the famous women warriors, to punish the
village and take tribute in human flesh. Then the man had the good
luck to be transported to the U.S.; instead of Latin America, where
slaves tended to be "used up" and replaced; or the Islamic world,
where he probably would have been castrated. And in the U.S., of
course, Abraham Lincoln would bring slavery to an end in just a few
years.

Click here to read the complete article