If you're careful enough, nothing bad or good will ever happen to you.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

SubjectAuthor
* Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertNorbert K
`* Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertEmma Smulders
 +* Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertEmma Smulders
 |+- Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertNorbert K
 |+- Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertNorbert K
 |`- Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertNorbert K
 `- Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity ConcertNorbert K

1
Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<5d30e441-ea71-4ca6-bfa7-cba641cdb1b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2776&group=rec.music.beatles#2776

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 06:13:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 14:13 UTC

This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John:

In January 1989 I was asked by promoter Sidney Bernstein, who had organized the Beatles' first New York concert in 1964, to lend support to a major charity concert in John's memory, to be called Come Together. The idea was to mark what would have been John's fiftieth birthday, October 9, 1990, with a rock symphony, to be performed in the States and televised around the world. The funds raised were to be used to support charitable ventures in John's name. Sid, who had known John well in his New York days, was excited about it and his enthusiasm was infectious, although I knew the venture would involve twelve months of intensive unpaid work. I thought long as hard about it, but in the end it seemed so fitting and so worthwhile that I had to say yes.

By July, after six months of planning, the concert was shaping up brilliantly. I had meetings with both Rudolf Nureyev and Michael Jackson, who had agreed to dance together as one of the highlights of the evening. Star Wars director George Lucas had agreed to do the special effects and other performers who were to appear included Ravi Shankar, the Moody Blues and, to our delight, Paul McCartney, who was to play with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, under the direction of George Martin.

It was an enormous enterprise and I traveled all over Europe and the States, met German chancellor Willi Brandt and many others who wanted to help. I was even invited to the U.S. Senate, and stood beside the mayor of New York as the peace bell rang at the United Nations. As the concert took shape, I felt one thing was needed to seal its success and make it the perfect tribute to John: Yoko's endorsement. I called her and told her I had something to discuss with her and she agreed to a meeting.

[Snip of discussion of visiting with Yoko and Havadtoy at the Dakota which ended with the expressionless and mostly-silent Ono telling Cynthia that she would get back to her on the subject of the concert.]

A few days after my meeting with Yoko, Sam Havadtoy phoned me: "Yoko doesn't want to take part in your concert," he informed me. "In fact, she has been planning a concert for John for some time." I was speechless.

Soon after Sam's call, Yoko gave an interview to the press, saying that I planned to make millions from the concert, although I had explained to her that it was for charity. When I read it, I knew our concert was doomed..

[End of Excerpt.]

Sid Bernstein and Cynthia put away their plans. Yoko went ahead with her Lennon tribute concert. She titled it "Come Together."

Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<b113ca69-2ed4-4264-ae38-c65e790aa611n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2778&group=rec.music.beatles#2778

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:11:55 -0800 (PST)
From: emma.smu...@gmail.com (Emma Smulders)
 by: Emma Smulders - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:11 UTC

Op dinsdag 1 februari 2022 om 15:13:02 UTC+1 schreef Norbert K:
> This is from Cynthia Lennon's book John:
>
> In January 1989 I was asked by promoter Sidney Bernstein, who had organized the Beatles' first New York concert in 1964, to lend support to a major charity concert in John's memory, to be called Come Together. The idea was to mark what would have been John's fiftieth birthday, October 9, 1990, with a rock symphony, to be performed in the States and televised around the world. The funds raised were to be used to support charitable ventures in John's name. Sid, who had known John well in his New York days, was excited about it and his enthusiasm was infectious, although I knew the venture would involve twelve months of intensive unpaid work. I thought long as hard about it, but in the end it seemed so fitting and so worthwhile that I had to say yes.
>
> By July, after six months of planning, the concert was shaping up brilliantly. I had meetings with both Rudolf Nureyev and Michael Jackson, who had agreed to dance together as one of the highlights of the evening. Star Wars director George Lucas had agreed to do the special effects and other performers who were to appear included Ravi Shankar, the Moody Blues and, to our delight, Paul McCartney, who was to play with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, under the direction of George Martin.
>
> It was an enormous enterprise and I traveled all over Europe and the States, met German chancellor Willi Brandt and many others who wanted to help. I was even invited to the U.S. Senate, and stood beside the mayor of New York as the peace bell rang at the United Nations. As the concert took shape, I felt one thing was needed to seal its success and make it the perfect tribute to John: Yoko's endorsement. I called her and told her I had something to discuss with her and she agreed to a meeting.
>
> [Snip of discussion of visiting with Yoko and Havadtoy at the Dakota which ended with the expressionless and mostly-silent Ono telling Cynthia that she would get back to her on the subject of the concert.]
>
> A few days after my meeting with Yoko, Sam Havadtoy phoned me: "Yoko doesn't want to take part in your concert," he informed me. "In fact, she has been planning a concert for John for some time." I was speechless.
>
> Soon after Sam's call, Yoko gave an interview to the press, saying that I planned to make millions from the concert, although I had explained to her that it was for charity. When I read it, I knew our concert was doomed.
>
> [End of Excerpt.]
>
> Sid Bernstein and Cynthia put away their plans. Yoko went ahead with her Lennon tribute concert. She titled it "Come Together."

From the RMB faults by UsurperTom:

> On May 21, 1990, People ran a story about a Yoko-organized tribute concert to
John in Liverpool. Yoko hoped that the May 6 concert would draw 45,000 people,
but only 15,000 showed up. Randy Travis, Terence Trent D'Arby, Roberta Flack,
Cyndi Lauper, Kylie Minogue and others sang John Lennon songs. Paul
participated by providing a videotaped medley of "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love
You" titled "P.S. Love Me Do." Ringo contributed a videotape of himself
performing "I Call Your Name." However, George boycotted the event and said
that Yoko's concert was "in poor taste."

>Cynthia and promoter Sid Bernstein hoped to organize a tribute concert at
Berlin's Brandenburg Gate on October 9, John's 50th birthday. Yoko opposed
their plans and vowed to sue to prevent John's songs from being performed at
the Berlin concert. Eventually, plans for a John tribute concert in Berlin
never materialized. Also, Yoko's plan for John tribute concerts in Moscow and
Tokyo failed to materialize.

>Yoko claimed that what she objected to was the participation of Sid Bernstein.
Bernstein promoted the Beatles' Shea Stadium concerts in 1965 and 1966. In the
late 70's, he offered the Beatles millions of dollars to reunite a few times.
Elliot Mintz said the following about Bernstein.

>Mintz: John was not a big fan of Sid Bernstein.

>On the other hand, Bernstein said that Mintz was lying. This is what Bernstein
had to say.

>Bernstein: I thought our relationship was close and warm.

Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<7ff12b74-6234-4849-8ea9-4faa079d1984n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2779&group=rec.music.beatles#2779

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:22:13 -0800 (PST)
From: emma.smu...@gmail.com (Emma Smulders)
 by: Emma Smulders - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:22 UTC

Op dinsdag 1 februari 2022 om 18:11:57 UTC+1 schreef Emma Smulders:
> [...]
> Berlin's Brandenburg Gate on October 9, John's 50th birthday. Yoko opposed
> their plans and vowed to sue to prevent John's songs from being performed at
> the Berlin concert. Eventually, plans for a John tribute concert in Berlin
> never materialized. Also, Yoko's plan for John tribute concerts in Moscow and
> Tokyo failed to materialize.
>
> >Yoko claimed that what she objected to was the participation of Sid Bernstein.
> Bernstein promoted the Beatles' Shea Stadium concerts in 1965 and 1966. In the
> late 70's, he offered the Beatles millions of dollars to reunite a few times.
> Elliot Mintz said the following about Bernstein.
>
> >Mintz: John was not a big fan of Sid Bernstein.
>
> >On the other hand, Bernstein said that Mintz was lying. This is what Bernstein
> had to say.
>
> >Bernstein: I thought our relationship was close and warm.

Found the relevant part of the interview in the meantime:

Q: How do you respond to recent gossip that you’ve refused to work in tandem with John Lennon’s first wife, Cynthia, on her own proposed memorial concerts at the Berlin Wall and at the White House?

A: Cynthia Lennon is an innocent party. There’s a Milwaukee promoter, a former waiter, named Perry Muckerheide, working with Sid Bernstein (who brought the Beatles to Carnegie Hall in 1964), and his mission in life is to reunite the Beatles. But the Beatles aren’t interested. George has always said: “As long as John is not alive, the Beatles cannot reunite.”

Q: But what of Cynthia Lennon?

A: I object to two men wanting to stage a show for commercial benefit and bringing another woman into the picture as a smoke screen--unsuspecting Cynthia Lennon--and saying: “Let’s see the two women fight.” Whatever the smoke screen, they’re not going to get my permission. The whole thing is a hoax.

(Sam Havadtoy walks into the room.)

Q: Then why is Cynthia involved at all?

Havadtoy: Because she was offered a million dollars to approach the Beatles, and she told us she needs the money. As for memorializing John, she wrote a book about him after he divorced her, he sued her when it was published, and they weren’t on speaking terms for 22 years.

Seeing this, Yoko was doing fine with answering the questions until Havadtoy starts ruining it tbh.

Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<51ef3317-d28c-46fa-97bd-97be04e75c9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2782&group=rec.music.beatles#2782

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:11:48 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:11 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 12:11:57 PM UTC-5, Emma Smulders wrote:
> [...]
> Berlin's Brandenburg Gate on October 9, John's 50th birthday. Yoko opposed
> their plans and vowed to sue to prevent John's songs from being performed at
> the Berlin concert. Eventually, plans for a John tribute concert in Berlin
> never materialized. Also, Yoko's plan for John tribute concerts in Moscow and
> Tokyo failed to materialize.
>
> >Yoko claimed that what she objected to was the participation of Sid Bernstein.
> Bernstein promoted the Beatles' Shea Stadium concerts in 1965 and 1966. In the
> late 70's, he offered the Beatles millions of dollars to reunite a few times.
> Elliot Mintz said the following about Bernstein.
>
> >Mintz: John was not a big fan of Sid Bernstein.
>
> >On the other hand, Bernstein said that Mintz was lying. This is what Bernstein
> had to say.
>
> >Bernstein: I thought our relationship was close and warm.

Cynthia & Bernstein or Ono & Mintz. It's not much of a contest, IMO.

Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<3f07b594-edff-4d97-8a4f-56028ec8352dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2783&group=rec.music.beatles#2783

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:14:00 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:14 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 12:22:15 PM UTC-5, Emma Smulders wrote:
> [...]
>
> Q: But what of Cynthia Lennon?
>
> A: I object to two men wanting to stage a show for commercial benefit and bringing another woman into the picture as a smoke screen--unsuspecting Cynthia Lennon--and saying: “Let’s see the two women fight.” Whatever the smoke screen, they’re not going to get my permission. The whole thing is a hoax.
>
> (Sam Havadtoy walks into the room.)
>
> Q: Then why is Cynthia involved at all?
>
> Havadtoy: Because she was offered a million dollars to approach the Beatles, and she told us she needs the money. As for memorializing John, she wrote a book about him after he divorced her, he sued her when it was published, and they weren’t on speaking terms for 22 years.
>

> Seeing this, Yoko was doing fine with answering the questions until Havadtoy starts ruining it tbh.

Why would Havadtoy jump in like that? I suspect Ono coached him to do her dirty work (i.e., lie about Cynthia's motives).

It's kind of funny to see a homosexual gigolo who had previously derided Ono's looks attributing financial motives to others.

Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<dd76ef77-7d27-482f-bf49-18d81fb9489an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2787&group=rec.music.beatles#2787

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 03:59:56 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:59 UTC

> [...]
>
> Q: But what of Cynthia Lennon?
>
> A: I object to two men wanting to stage a show for commercial benefit and bringing another woman into the picture as a smoke screen--unsuspecting Cynthia Lennon--and saying: “Let’s see the two women fight.” Whatever the smoke screen, they’re not going to get my permission. The whole thing is a hoax.
>
> (Sam Havadtoy walks into the room.)
>
> Q: Then why is Cynthia involved at all?
>
> Havadtoy: Because she was offered a million dollars to approach the Beatles, and she told us she needs the money. As for memorializing John, she wrote a book about him after he divorced her, he sued her when it was published, and they weren’t on speaking terms for 22 years.
>

> Seeing this, Yoko was doing fine with answering the questions until Havadtoy starts ruining it tbh.

I have my doubts about Havadtoy. This is a person who came to the US as the boy-toy of a decorator named Stuart Greet. Havadtoy admitted as much in a NYT interview, admitting that "You have to take advantages of your opportunities in this life." Prior to moving in with Ono immediately after John's murder, Havadtoy would make insulting remarks about Ono's aged looks and about her race. He was into that relationship for the money.

What bearing does Cynthia's book have on the issue of the proposed Bernstein Lennon tribute?

Also, Cynthia's friendship with Lennon returned (like so many other friendships of Lennon's) when he was away from Ono in the mid-70s. Havadtoy's statement that Lennon and Cynthia "weren't on speaking terms for 22 years" is a lie.

What business did Havadtoy think he had making pronouncements about Cynthia's and Lennon's relationship?

Re: Sidney Bernstein's Planned John Lennon Charity Concert

<3f0a3f5e-1862-4758-b761-765bf821ee56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2788&group=rec.music.beatles#2788

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:20:23 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:20 UTC

> [...]
>
> Q: But what of Cynthia Lennon?
>
> A: I object to two men wanting to stage a show for commercial benefit and bringing another woman into the picture as a smoke screen--unsuspecting Cynthia Lennon--and saying: “Let’s see the two women fight.” Whatever the smoke screen, they’re not going to get my permission. The whole thing is a hoax.
>
> (Sam Havadtoy walks into the room.)
>
> Q: Then why is Cynthia involved at all?
>
> Havadtoy: Because she was offered a million dollars to approach the Beatles, and she told us she needs the money. As for memorializing > John, she wrote a book about him

"She wrote a book about him"!

Havadtoy says this as though it is a damning indictment of Cynthia; he acts as if book-writing is some sort of sin.

Why would he adopt such a pretense? Cynthia's book is good and her story is newsworthy.

However, I can see why Ono would not like books. Several books (John's Green's, May Pang's, Albert Goldman's; I don't know if Frederic Seaman's book was out at that point) had appeared by this point exposing Ono for the superstition-crazed manipulator she was. As a narcissist, Ono must have been driven crazy by the fact that she was not able to control what these people were saying.