24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

arts / rec.music.beatles / Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969

SubjectAuthor
* Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969Norbert K
`* Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969Bruce
 +- Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969Norbert K
 `* Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969Willie Williams
  `- Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969Willie Williams

1
Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969

<5f464e94-6b7f-4cb6-89cf-349dd3fd94e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2777&group=rec.music.beatles#2777

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 06:43:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 14:43 UTC

Spector: I don't know if it's black militancy or whatever, but something has definitely effected the complete destruction of the black groups that used to be dominating the record industry.

Q: How has that changed the music?

Spector: It's changed the music drastically. It's given birth to English groups to come along and do it like Eric Burdon. It's also given birth for the Stones and Beatles to come along and do it -- not that they wouldn't have done it otherwise -- but the first place the Beatles wanted to see when they came to America, 'cause I came over on the plane with them -- was the Apollo Theater.

As bad a record as "Book of Love" by the Monotones is, you can hear a lot of "Book of Love" in "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" by the Beatles.I think you can hear a lot of that dumb, great-yet-nonsensical stuff that makes it -- even though it's silly. It's got the same nonsense.

Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969

<365e1b28-7499-461d-b55d-b770a5f379d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2780&group=rec.music.beatles#2780

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 10:19:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 18:19 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> Spector: I don't know if it's black militancy or whatever, but something has definitely effected the complete destruction of the black groups that used to be dominating the record industry.
>
> Q: How has that changed the music?
>
> Spector: It's changed the music drastically. It's given birth to English groups to come along and do it like Eric Burdon. It's also given birth for the Stones and Beatles to come along and do it -- not that they wouldn't have done it otherwise -- but the first place the Beatles wanted to see when they came to America, 'cause I came over on the plane with them -- was the Apollo Theater.
>
> As bad a record as "Book of Love" by the Monotones is, you can hear a lot of "Book of Love" in "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" by the Beatles.I think you can hear a lot of that dumb, great-yet-nonsensical stuff that makes it -- even though it's silly. It's got the same nonsense.

Once he said that "Book of Love" was bad he lost all credibility. And he's got his head up his ass comparing it to that Beatles song.

Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969

<f12f7c50-f849-4d21-8bbe-b6bd8e5e56fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2781&group=rec.music.beatles#2781

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:09:30 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:09 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 1:19:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > Spector: I don't know if it's black militancy or whatever, but something has definitely effected the complete destruction of the black groups that used to be dominating the record industry.
> >
> > Q: How has that changed the music?
> >
> > Spector: It's changed the music drastically. It's given birth to English groups to come along and do it like Eric Burdon. It's also given birth for the Stones and Beatles to come along and do it -- not that they wouldn't have done it otherwise -- but the first place the Beatles wanted to see when they came to America, 'cause I came over on the plane with them -- was the Apollo Theater.
> >
> > As bad a record as "Book of Love" by the Monotones is, you can hear a lot of "Book of Love" in "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" by the Beatles.I think you can hear a lot of that dumb, great-yet-nonsensical stuff that makes it -- even though it's silly. It's got the same nonsense.
> Once he said that "Book of Love" was bad he lost all credibility. And he's got his head up his ass comparing it to that Beatles song.

I hear little if any comparison between the two songs.

Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969

<d55fc91c-96e8-4416-b1af-930e54c089a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2785&group=rec.music.beatles#2785

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:39:01 -0800 (PST)
From: williamg...@gmail.com (Willie Williams)
 by: Willie Williams - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 03:39 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 1:19:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > Spector: I don't know if it's black militancy or whatever, but something has definitely effected the complete destruction of the black groups that used to be dominating the record industry.
> >
> > Q: How has that changed the music?
> >
> > Spector: It's changed the music drastically. It's given birth to English groups to come along and do it like Eric Burdon. It's also given birth for the Stones and Beatles to come along and do it -- not that they wouldn't have done it otherwise -- but the first place the Beatles wanted to see when they came to America, 'cause I came over on the plane with them -- was the Apollo Theater.
> >
> > As bad a record as "Book of Love" by the Monotones is, you can hear a lot of "Book of Love" in "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" by the Beatles.I think you can hear a lot of that dumb, great-yet-nonsensical stuff that makes it -- even though it's silly. It's got the same nonsense.
> Once he said that "Book of Love" was bad he lost all credibility. And he's got his head up his ass comparing it to that Beatles song.

I'm with you here, Brother Bruce. Who don't love "Book of Love" is missing out. And who thinks "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" echoes "Book of Love" is way over my head.

Re: Phil Spector on the "Destruction of the Black Groups," 1969

<611b8fda-48f1-49f4-82ef-27bcdc3322a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2786&group=rec.music.beatles#2786

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:42:37 -0800 (PST)
From: williamg...@gmail.com (Willie Williams)
 by: Willie Williams - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 03:42 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 10:39:03 PM UTC-5, Willie Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 1:19:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > > Spector: I don't know if it's black militancy or whatever, but something has definitely effected the complete destruction of the black groups that used to be dominating the record industry.
> > >
> > > Q: How has that changed the music?
> > >
> > > Spector: It's changed the music drastically. It's given birth to English groups to come along and do it like Eric Burdon. It's also given birth for the Stones and Beatles to come along and do it -- not that they wouldn't have done it otherwise -- but the first place the Beatles wanted to see when they came to America, 'cause I came over on the plane with them -- was the Apollo Theater.
> > >
> > > As bad a record as "Book of Love" by the Monotones is, you can hear a lot of "Book of Love" in "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" by the Beatles.I think you can hear a lot of that dumb, great-yet-nonsensical stuff that makes it -- even though it's silly. It's got the same nonsense.
> > Once he said that "Book of Love" was bad he lost all credibility. And he's got his head up his ass comparing it to that Beatles song.
> I'm with you here, Brother Bruce. Who don't love "Book of Love" is missing out. And who thinks "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" echoes "Book of Love" is way over my head.
Oh, I get it, they've both got that same silly nonsense. Except "Book of Love" is perfectly constructed.