Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced. -- John Keats

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

SubjectAuthor
* [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offsYour Name
+- Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offsThe Doctor
`* Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offsT987654321
 +* Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offsBlueshirt
 |`- Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offsYour Name
 `- Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offsYour Name

1
[Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

<tkcsdj$1092$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2778&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2778

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 19:19:31 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 06:19 UTC

Doctor Who's Budget to Rise to £100 Million Per Series [Season],
Thanks to Disney+?
Broadcast is reporting that Doctor Who's budget will be tripled,
so that each series will have an estimated £100 million spent
across the season.

That's apparently thanks to Disney+, the platform that's secured
the streaming rights to Doctor Who across the world - except,
that is, in the UK, where it'll keep its traditional home on the
BBC.

A mysterious source told Broadcast:

"The BBC had to make the decision for the future success
of Doctor Who because any show of scale needs a partner.
Reliability is the most important factor irrespective of
how many episodes you make or who the Doctor is...

If you can bring in a single partner with one
distribution agreement, while retaining exclusivity in
the UK, that is the best of both worlds for the BBC."

Sure, you may sniff at this suggestion, seeing as it's not been
confirmed by the BBC just yet, but Broadcast is a reliable
publication, and there have been plenty of rumours that the deal
with Disney+ would result in an increased budget. £100 million
is quite astonishing, though!

Plus it makes sense that Disney+ would want to invest; and it
would've given new showrunner, Russell T Davies, further reason
to make such a deal alongside production team, Bad Wolf.

Broadcast reports that, as is, Doctor Who has a £1 million to
£3 million per episode budget, so with the £100 million estimate,
we can infer that we can expect 10 episodes per season,
potentially plus Christmas specials.

It's also heavily rumoured (and expected, really) that Disney+ is
keen for Davies and co. to develop spin-offs akin to The Sarah
Jane Adventures and Torchwood too.

Exciting times ahead, DWC readers...

<https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2022/11/08/doctor-whos-budget-to-rise-to-100-million-per-series-thanks-to-disney/>

Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

<tkdsh6$1cds$76@gallifrey.nk.ca>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2779&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2779

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 15:27:34 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 15:27 UTC

In article <tkcsdj$1092$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Doctor Who's Budget to Rise to �100 Million Per Series [Season],
> Thanks to Disney+?
> Broadcast is reporting that Doctor Who's budget will be tripled,
> so that each series will have an estimated �100 million spent
> across the season.
>
> That's apparently thanks to Disney+, the platform that's secured
> the streaming rights to Doctor Who across the world - except,
> that is, in the UK, where it'll keep its traditional home on the
> BBC.
>
> A mysterious source told Broadcast:
>
> "The BBC had to make the decision for the future success
> of Doctor Who because any show of scale needs a partner.
> Reliability is the most important factor irrespective of
> how many episodes you make or who the Doctor is...
>
> If you can bring in a single partner with one
> distribution agreement, while retaining exclusivity in
> the UK, that is the best of both worlds for the BBC."
>
> Sure, you may sniff at this suggestion, seeing as it's not been
> confirmed by the BBC just yet, but Broadcast is a reliable
> publication, and there have been plenty of rumours that the deal
> with Disney+ would result in an increased budget. �100 million
> is quite astonishing, though!
>
> Plus it makes sense that Disney+ would want to invest; and it
> would've given new showrunner, Russell T Davies, further reason
> to make such a deal alongside production team, Bad Wolf.
>
> Broadcast reports that, as is, Doctor Who has a �1 million to
> �3 million per episode budget, so with the �100 million estimate,
> we can infer that we can expect 10 episodes per season,
> potentially plus Christmas specials.
>
> It's also heavily rumoured (and expected, really) that Disney+ is
> keen for Davies and co. to develop spin-offs akin to The Sarah
> Jane Adventures and Torchwood too.
>
> Exciting times ahead, DWC readers...
>

><https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2022/11/08/doctor-whos-budget-to-rise-to-100-million-per-series-thanks-to-disney/>

RTD in action!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
Evil makes destruction necessary. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

<5859ec38-51eb-4dcb-9786-8a64073ed712n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2788&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2788

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 08:24:09 -0800 (PST)
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (T987654321)
 by: T987654321 - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:24 UTC

Doctor wo went off the air several years ago, it was replaced by a parody.

Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

<tl8e48$ni3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2789&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2789

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:07:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:07 UTC

T987654321 wrote:

> Doctor wo went off the air several years ago, it was replaced by a
> parody.

Let me guess, this post is a parody, right?

Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

<tl8sme$1msl$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2790&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2790

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:15:58 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:15 UTC

On 2022-11-18 16:24:09 +0000, T987654321 said:

> Doctor wo went off the air several years ago, it was replaced by a parody.

From the title, I would have thought "Doctor wo" *was* the parody. ;-)

Re: [Rumour] Disney+ to mean bigger Doctor Who budget and more spin-offs

<tl8sph$1q9s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2791&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2791

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:17:38 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:17 UTC

On 2022-11-18 17:07:21 +0000, Blueshirt said:
> T987654321 wrote:
>>
>> Doctor wo went off the air several years ago, it was replaced by a
>> parody.
>
> Let me guess, this post is a parody, right?

Not really. The ridiculous bowing down to the "Politically Correct"
numbnuts and quota-filling-tickboxing definitely turned "Doctor Who"
into garbage.