As Zeus said to Narcissus, "Watch yourself."

arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

SubjectAuthor
* "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be SellLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Sellted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May BLynn McGuire
||+* Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Your Name
|||`* Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate PowerLynn McGuire
||| `* Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney toBlueshirt
|||  `* Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Your Name
|||   `* Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Blueshirt
|||    +* Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be SellingThe Last Doctor
|||    |`* Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Blueshirt
|||    | `- Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be SellingThe Last Doctor
|||    `- Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Your Name
||`* Re: Re: "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May BDorothy J Heydt
|| `* Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Your Name
||  +* Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate PowMichael F. Stemper
||  |+- Re: Re0 "Why Bob IgerPaul S Person
||  |`- Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate PowAlan
||  `- Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger???s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"rkshullat
|`- Re: "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Your Name
`- Re: "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"Your Name

1
"Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlkd4e$anch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2798&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2798

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: "Why_Bob_Iger’s_Ultimate_Power_Move_May_Be_Sell
ing_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 00:03:58 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 06:03 UTC

"Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html

"Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
— less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"

Unreal.

Lynn

Re: "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<ju5v4nFa7isU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2799&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2799

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: "Why_Bob_Iger’s_Ultimate_Power_Move_May_Be_Sell
ing_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: 23 Nov 2022 07:07:03 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:07 UTC

In article <tlkd4e$anch$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>"Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"
>

>https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html
>
>"Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
>— less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
>over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
>new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
>to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
>predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"
>
>Unreal.
>
>Lynn

I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
as a media company.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlkhde$1ad5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2800&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2800

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re:_"Why_Bob_Iger’s_Ultimate_Power_Move_May_B
e_Selling_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 01:16:59 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:16 UTC

On 11/23/2022 1:07 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <tlkd4e$anch$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"
>>

>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html
>>
>> "Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
>> — less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
>> over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
>> new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
>> to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
>> predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"
>>
>> Unreal.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
> were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
> to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
> as a media company.

There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably only
three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other two ?
Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are on
that list.

Lynn

Re: "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlm0tl$u0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2803&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2803

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re:_"Why_Bob_Iger€™s_Ultimate_Power_Move_May_Be_Selling_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:47:50 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 20:47 UTC

On 2022-11-23 07:07:03 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:
> In article <tlkd4e$anch$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"
>>
>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html
>>
>> "Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
>> — less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
>> over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
>> new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
>> to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
>> predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"
>>
>> Unreal.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
> were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
> to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
> as a media company.

Apple already is a "media company". In addition to Apple Music service
(previously called iTunes), the Apple TV+ streaming service has many TV
shows and movies made by 100% funding from Apple specifically for them.

There have been silly rumours of Apple buying Disney (and vice versa)
for decades. Bob Iger was even on the board of Apple for a while, but
quit due to the conflict of interest as Apple's TV business started up.
Steve Jobs was a board member at Disney for a while as well. Plus of
course Steve Jobs sold Pixar to Disney.

But I don't see one of them buying the other ever happening unless one
of them goes into a sudden massive decline.

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlm13j$10td$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2804&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2804

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 09:50:59 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 20:50 UTC

On 2022-11-23 07:16:59 +0000, Lynn McGuire said:
> On 11/23/2022 1:07 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <tlkd4e$anch$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"
>>>

>>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html
>>>
>>> "Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
>>> — less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
>>> over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
>>> new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
>>> to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
>>> predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"
>>>
>>> Unreal.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
>> were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
>> to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
>> as a media company.
>
> There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably
> only three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other
> two ? Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are
> on that list.
>
> Lynn

There have also been rumours of Apple buying up Netflix.

Disney of course does own Hulu (with a sleeping partner minority stake
owned by Comcast).

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlm7l5$f5mk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2805&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2805

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re:_Re0_"Why_Bob_Iger€™s_Ultimate_Power_
Move_May_Be_Selling_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:42:45 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 22:42 UTC

On 11/23/2022 2:50 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-11-23 07:16:59 +0000, Lynn McGuire said:
>> On 11/23/2022 1:07 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> I dunno.  Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
>>> were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
>>> to save some legal woes), and didn't.  I don't see them really working
>>> as a media company.
>>
>> There is a falling out coming for the streaming services.  Probably
>> only three will survive.  One will be Netflix.  Who will be the other
>> two ? Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon
>> are on that list.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> There have also been rumours of Apple buying up Netflix.
>
> Disney of course does own Hulu (with a sleeping partner minority stake
> owned by Comcast).

Netflix has a market cap of $130 billion. Doable. Apple reputedly has
$300 billion cash in the bank.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NFLX?p=NFLX

Disney has a market cap of $180 billion.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS?p=DIS

Why not buy both ? Of course the FTC will disallow one for sure.

Lynn

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlma12$fd1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2806&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2806

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to
Apple"
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 23:23:17 +0000
 by: Blueshirt - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 23:23 UTC

On 23/11/2022 22:42, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 11/23/2022 2:50 PM, Your Name wrote:
>>
>> There have also been rumours of Apple buying up Netflix.
>>
>> Disney of course does own Hulu (with a sleeping partner minority stake
>> owned by Comcast).
>
> Netflix has a market cap of $130 billion.  Doable.  Apple reputedly has
> $300 billion cash in the bank.
>    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NFLX?p=NFLX
>
> Disney has a market cap of $180 billion.
>    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS?p=DIS
>
> Why not buy both ?  Of course the FTC will disallow one for sure.

At least if Apple bought Netflix or Disney the quality of Apple TV would
improve!!!

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlml05$1mv8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2807&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2807

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 15:30:29 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 02:30 UTC

On 2022-11-23 23:23:17 +0000, Blueshirt said:
> On 23/11/2022 22:42, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 11/23/2022 2:50 PM, Your Name wrote:
>>>
>>> There have also been rumours of Apple buying up Netflix.
>>>
>>> Disney of course does own Hulu (with a sleeping partner minority stake
>>> owned by Comcast).
>>
>> Netflix has a market cap of $130 billion.  Doable.  Apple reputedly
>> has $300 billion cash in the bank.
>>    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NFLX?p=NFLX
>>
>> Disney has a market cap of $180 billion.
>>    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DIS?p=DIS
>>
>> Why not buy both ?  Of course the FTC will disallow one for sure.
>
> At least if Apple bought Netflix or Disney the quality of Apple TV
> would improve!!!

Neither purchase would improve "Apple TV", since that is a hardware
set-top box you plug into your TV.

Whether either purchase would "improve" the Apple TV+ streaming service
depends on what shows you like and dislike, so is purely personal
opinion.

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<nnd$79913d78$3318802b@0f72dcf5c707077c>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2808&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2808

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 12:49:06 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 11:49 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> On 2022-11-23 23:23:17 +0000, Blueshirt said:
> >
> > At least if Apple bought Netflix or Disney the quality of Apple TV
> > would improve!!!
>
> Neither purchase would improve "Apple TV", since that is a hardware
> set-top box you plug into your TV.
>
> Whether either purchase would "improve" the Apple TV+ streaming
> service depends on what shows you like and dislike, so is purely
> personal opinion.

Yes, Apple TV+ (they love their + signs in the US don't they) and it's
shit! Which is indeed a subjective opinion... but true none the less!
;-)

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlnu6m$ltgm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2809&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2809

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling
Disney to Apple"
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:13:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SONHxT0uUy7OD+7akesD3SnKKts=
 by: The Last Doctor - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:13 UTC

Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>
>> On 2022-11-23 23:23:17 +0000, Blueshirt said:
>>>
>>> At least if Apple bought Netflix or Disney the quality of Apple TV
>>> would improve!!!
>>
>> Neither purchase would improve "Apple TV", since that is a hardware
>> set-top box you plug into your TV.
>>
>> Whether either purchase would "improve" the Apple TV+ streaming
>> service depends on what shows you like and dislike, so is purely
>> personal opinion.
>
> Yes, Apple TV+ (they love their + signs in the US don't they) and it's
> shit! Which is indeed a subjective opinion... but true none the less!
> ;-)

I disagree:

Bad Sisters
Slow Horses
For All Mankind
Severance

… have been excellent

The Morning Show

… was watchable

There has been quite a lot of crap along with those, but that can be said
of every service

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.

They must be /fought/.

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<nnd$6b1df6fb$0c76d548@b5d59ef87da48a8f>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2810&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2810

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 15:39:21 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 14:39 UTC

The Last Doctor wrote:

> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> > Your Name wrote:

> >> Neither purchase would improve "Apple TV", since that is a hardware
> >> set-top box you plug into your TV.
> >>
> >> Whether either purchase would "improve" the Apple TV+ streaming
> >> service depends on what shows you like and dislike, so is purely
> >> personal opinion.
> >
> > Yes, Apple TV+ (they love their + signs in the US don't they) and
> > it's shit! Which is indeed a subjective opinion... but true none
> > the less! ;-)
> >

> I disagree:
>
> Bad Sisters
> Slow Horses
> For All Mankind
> Severance
>
> … have been excellent
>
> The Morning Show
>
> … was watchable
>
> There has been quite a lot of crap along with those, but that can be
> said of every service

I think maybe the crap stands out a bit more more on Apple TV+ as they
don't have the same number of quality 'originals' in comparison to
Netflix... at the moment.

I do see Apple TV+ as the weaker of the main streaming platforms that
we have access to at Blueshirt Towers. (Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+)

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlo5t1$micu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2811&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2811

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Disney to Apple"
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:25:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:E5V3B11coiaGBBAMwy49SEFoFTQ=
 by: The Last Doctor - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:25 UTC

Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> The Last Doctor wrote:
>
>> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:

>>> Yes, Apple TV+ (they love their + signs in the US don't they) and
>>> it's shit! Which is indeed a subjective opinion... but true none
>>> the less! ;-)
>>>

>> I disagree:
>>
>> Bad Sisters
>> Slow Horses
>> For All Mankind
>> Severance
>>
>> … have been excellent
>>
>> The Morning Show
>>
>> … was watchable
>>
>> There has been quite a lot of crap along with those, but that can be
>> said of every service
>
> I think maybe the crap stands out a bit more more on Apple TV+ as they
> don't have the same number of quality 'originals' in comparison to
> Netflix... at the moment.
>
> I do see Apple TV+ as the weaker of the main streaming platforms that
> we have access to at Blueshirt Towers. (Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+)

We have all those plus Paramount and Now (cos I’m not paying for full fat
Sky ever again) - in general I figure if there’s one series or a couple of
movies I want to watch every month on a streaming service, then it’s worth
the £6. (It’s always possible to do a deal to get it down to £6)

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.
Things which act against everything we believe in.

They must be /fought/.

Re: "Why Bob Iger's Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tlorhv$jg7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2813&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2813

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 11:34:39 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 24 Nov 2022 22:34 UTC

On 2022-11-24 11:49:06 +0000, Blueshirt said:
> Your Name wrote:
>> On 2022-11-23 23:23:17 +0000, Blueshirt said:
>>>
>>> At least if Apple bought Netflix or Disney the quality of Apple TV
>>> would improve!!!
>>
>> Neither purchase would improve "Apple TV", since that is a hardware
>> set-top box you plug into your TV.
>>
>> Whether either purchase would "improve" the Apple TV+ streaming
>> service depends on what shows you like and dislike, so is purely
>> personal opinion.
>
> Yes, Apple TV+ (they love their + signs in the US don't they)

They do have Apple TV+, Disney+, Paramount+, BET+, AMC+, Discovery+, We
TV+, DailyWire+, ...

It's not just the US though.

The morons here at Television New Zealand recently changed the name of
their service from "TVNZ OnDemand" to "TVNZ+". :-\

Then there's the French "Canal+"

> and it's shit! Which is indeed a subjective opinion... but true none the less!
> ;-)

There are one or two shows I like. Apple TV+ does also own the rights
to 'broadcast' the Peanuts animations which are hugely popular in the
US, although personally I've never really liked them.

Re: Re: "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<rM1ns1.JoE@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2823&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2823

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.tv
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: Re:_"Why_Bob_Iger’s_Ultimate_Power_Move_May_B
e_Selling_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 06:09:37 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 06:09 UTC

In article <tlkhde$1ad5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 11/23/2022 1:07 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <tlkd4e$anch$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"
>>>

>https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html
>>>
>>> "Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic Kingdom
>>> — less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob Chapek, took
>>> over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved executive will find a
>>> new way to go out on top during his final two-year stint. “He’s going
>>> to sell the company,” one Disney insider who has worked for Iger
>>> predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal for the ultimate dealmaker.”"
>>>
>>> Unreal.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
>> were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
>> to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
>> as a media company.
>
>There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably only
>three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other two ?
>Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are on
>that list.

(Hal Heydt)
Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
leat some people at Disney.

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tm1ked$1bdh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2824&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2824

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 19:28:29 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 06:28 UTC

On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:

> In article <tlkhde$1ad5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/23/2022 1:07 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>>>>

>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html

>>> I dunno. Apple had a business case for buying record labels when they
>>> were trying to get Itunes off the ground (not to mention Apple Records
>>> to save some legal woes), and didn't. I don't see them really working
>>> as a media company.
>>
>> There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably only
>> three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other two ?
>> Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are on
>> that list.
>
> (Hal Heydt)
> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
> leat some people at Disney.

All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse
point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's
one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means
people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to
watch one or two programmes on each one. X-(

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tm2g1i$200jt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2825&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2825

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Pow
er_Move_May_Be_Selling_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:19:30 -0600
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 14:19 UTC

On 28/11/2022 00.28, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Hal Heydt said:

>> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
>> leat some people at Disney.
>
> All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to watch one or two programmes on each one.  X-(

You need to remember that, from the POV of the people who set up
those walled gardens, that's not a bug, it's a feature.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Exodus 22:21

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger

<c0q9oh980361vc0qoijsvvpau8jp9rbb90@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2826&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2826

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:55:57 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:55 UTC

On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:19:30 -0600, "Michael F. Stemper"
<michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 28/11/2022 00.28, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Hal Heydt said:
>
>>> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
>>> leat some people at Disney.
>>
>> All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to watch one or two programmes on each one.  X-(
>
>You need to remember that, from the POV of the people who set up
>those walled gardens, that's not a bug, it's a feature.

Capitalism at its best!
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tm2vu5$2115l$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2827&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2827

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
er_Move_May_Be_Selling_Disney_to_Apple"
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 10:50:45 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 18:50 UTC

On 2022-11-28 06:19, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 00.28, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Hal Heydt said:
>
>>> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
>>> leat some people at Disney.
>>
>> All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse
>> point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else.
>> It's one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it
>> means people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just
>> to watch one or two programmes on each one.  X-(
>
> You need to remember that, from the POV of the people who set up
> those walled gardens, that's not a bug, it's a feature.

And from the POV of a lot of people who purchase Apple's products, the
walled garden IS a feature.

It was the protection from wilds outside that wall that led a lot of
people to think that buying a smartphone or tablet could be a good idea...

Re: "Why Bob Iger€™s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tm37fj$1g7u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2829&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2829

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:59:31 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 20:59 UTC

On 2022-11-23 06:03:58 +0000, Lynn McGuire said:

> "Why Bob Iger’s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"
>
> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html
>
> "Now that Disney CEO Bob Iger has regained the keys to the Magic
> Kingdom — less than three years after his chosen successor, Bob
> Chapek, took over — insiders suspect they know how the beloved
> executive will find a new way to go out on top during his final
> two-year stint. “He’s going to sell the company,” one Disney
> insider who has worked for Iger predicted. “This is the pinnacle deal
> for the ultimate dealmaker.”"
>
> Unreal.
>
> Lynn

Apple's rumored Disney acquisition is 'pure speculation' says Bob Iger
The prospect of Apple acquiring Disney seems not just unlikely, but
incredibly improbable, after the returning CEO told employees the
rumors are "pure speculation."

In the wake of rumors flaring up of a deal that Apple could buy the
entertainment behemoth following his return as CEO of Disney, Bob
Iger has taken a moment to cool down suggestions Disney is for sale.
Speaking to cast members during a town hall meeting on Monday, Iger
dismissed the suggestion entirely.

During the meeting about the future of Disney itself, Iger was asked
about the rumors of a possible Apple purchase. In response, Iger
characterized the claims as "pure speculation," indicating it's not
something the company is considering at all.

Rumors that Apple will buy Disney have circulated for over two
decades, but were renewed with the installation of Iger as CEO three
years after leaving the role. During the hiatus, Iger publicly said
there was a point where a merger could possibly have taken place
between the two companies - if there had been discussions.

Iger had previously uttered the same sentiment while friend Steve
Jobs was alive, but neither had actually formally spoken about such
a deal.

During the Cook administration of Apple, the rumors continued, in
part due to Apple's growth and massive cash reserves being enough
to enable such a purchase to take place.

However, such a prospect won't occur unless both Apple and Disney
offer any indication to each other that such a tie-up would be
appropriate. With Iger's comments, that seems extremely unlikely to
happen anytime soon.

<https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/11/28/apples-rumored-disney-acquisition-is-pure-speculation-says-bob-iger>

Re: Re0 "Why Bob Iger???s Ultimate Power Move May Be Selling Disney to Apple"

<tm56kg$het8$1@memoryalpha.rosettacon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2832&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2832

From: rkshul...@rosettacondot.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:57:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rkshul...@rosettacondot.com - Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:57 UTC

Your Name <YourName@yourisp.com> wrote:
> On 2022-11-28 06:09:37 +0000, Dorothy J Heydt said:
>
>> In article <tlkhde$1ad5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>

>>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-bob-iger-ultimate-power-193000597.html

>>> There is a falling out coming for the streaming services. Probably only
>>> three will survive. One will be Netflix. Who will be the other two ?
>>> Apple, Disney, Youtube, Comcast, AT&T, Fubo, Hulu, and Amazon are on
>>> that list.
>>
>> (Hal Heydt)
>> Apple's fondness for the walled garden might be attractive to at
>> leat some people at Disney.
>
> All the streaming services have a "walled garden" and refuse
> point-blank to share their 'exclusive' content with *anyone* else. It's
> one of the biggest stupidities there is in the industry since it means
> people have to subscribe to a bazillion different services just to
> watch one or two programmes on each one. X-(

Remember when everyone wanted to be able to pick and choose their channels
rather than having to buy bundles from the cable company? Here we are.

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull Email: rkshull at rosettacon dot com