Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 04:10:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Glyn Johns Discusses "Magic" Alex' Recording Studio
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:10 UTC

[Glyn] Johns was sent to scope out the fresh [recording] facilities with Harrison. Instead of a state-of-the-art studio, he found pure chaos. "It was the most absurd and ridiculous thing I've ever seen," he says with a chuckle. "I mean, I knew immediately the guy didn't have a clue what he was doing. He was a TV repairman! That's how he started, but he fooled everyone into thinking he was some sort of genius. Well, he wasn't. I walked in and there was a console in the control room that looked like something out of Buck Rogers. And there were eight speakers on the wall, all the size of a ham sandwich. Because it was eight-track recording, he thought you had to have eight speakers. The guy didn't have a f-cking clue! So I burst out laughing and George Harrison wasn't terribly happy with that. He got a bit miffed."

-- from the People Magazine article "Getting Back to 'Get Back': The Long and Winding Saga of Glyn Johns' Lost Beatles Album."

Re: Glyn Johns Discusses "Magic" Alex' Recording Studio

<5950e931-1376-425f-8021-2bfcc446b3fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2814&group=rec.music.beatles#2814

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 04:21:06 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:21 UTC

On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 7:10:41 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> [Glyn] Johns was sent to scope out the fresh [recording] facilities with Harrison. Instead of a state-of-the-art studio, he found pure chaos. "It was the most absurd and ridiculous thing I've ever seen," he says with a chuckle. "I mean, I knew immediately the guy didn't have a clue what he was doing. He was a TV repairman! That's how he started, but he fooled everyone into thinking he was some sort of genius. Well, he wasn't. I walked in and there was a console in the control room that looked like something out of Buck Rogers. And there were eight speakers on the wall, all the size of a ham sandwich. Because it was eight-track recording, he thought you had to have eight speakers. The guy didn't have a f-cking clue! So I burst out laughing and George Harrison wasn't terribly happy with that. He got a bit miffed."
>
> -- from the People Magazine article "Getting Back to 'Get Back': The Long and Winding Saga of Glyn Johns' Lost Beatles Album."

Lennon and Harrison were most taken with "Magic" Alex, even though it was immediately obvious to a sensible person like Glyn Johns that Alex was a poseur. Lennon and Harrison were also the most taken with the Maharishi, even though it was obvious to Pete Shotton that the Maharishi was full of sh*t.

Is it just a coincidence that Lennon and Harrison were the biggest LSD users in the band? I don't think so.