Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 23:37:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Spartacus
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 6 May 2021 06:37 UTC

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 7:48:00 AM UTC-7, really real wrote:
> With the new cheap blu-ray version of Spartacus available, I thought I
> would watch this epic again. What a treat! The huge battle scene looks
> quite fantastic in high def, especially when we know its down with
> thousands of extras and not computers.
> And what an amazing hodge podge of a movie. It was the most expensive
> Hollywood movie of its time, back in 1960, and with Stanley Kubrick
> directing, it's quite a spectacle and a scene. I read a quote from
> producer/actor Kurt Douglas saying he hoped Kubrick would have a flop
> soon so he would learn hou do compromise. But did Kubrick compromise
> after Barry Lyndon?
> Some of the acting in Spartacus is terrific. Charles Laughton and Peter
> Ustinov are wonderful especially in their scene together. Laurence
> Olivier is good. Kurt Douglas is hammy. John Gavin, as Julius Caesar,
> seems to belong in a different movie. And why do they call him Caesar? I
> thought Caesar was a title, like Czar or Kaiser.
>
> Jean Simmons is gracious and lovely. She too seems to be coming from a
> different movie than one about oppressed slaves thousands of years ago.
> The homosexual subtext in the movie is also a delight, not only with the
> snails and oysters scene, but with all the cute naked statues. And there
> is a scene where Laughton talks about liking women, as if it were wrong
> to like women.
> The political subtext of the movie is also fascinating, with commie
> propaganda lurking throughout. There are lovely scenes of the escaped
> slaves in their camps, working in their paradisaical collective.
> It's fascinating the way Spartacus veers from being an intelligent
> Kubrick movie to a Hollywood schlock movie.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/87098/16-epic-facts-about-spartacus#:~:text=12.,because%20it%20was%20considered%20obscene.

Re: Spartacus

<363cd544-1cb7-4882-a068-f8805a59b3c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2819&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#2819

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 11:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 8 May 2021 18:19 UTC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 11:37:44 PM UTC-7, rote:
> On Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 7:48:00 AM UTC-7, really real wrote:
> > With the new cheap blu-ray version of Spartacus available, I thought I
> > would watch this epic again. What a treat! The huge battle scene looks
> > quite fantastic in high def, especially when we know its down with
> > thousands of extras and not computers.
> > And what an amazing hodge podge of a movie. It was the most expensive
> > Hollywood movie of its time, back in 1960, and with Stanley Kubrick
> > directing, it's quite a spectacle and a scene. I read a quote from
> > producer/actor Kurt Douglas saying he hoped Kubrick would have a flop
> > soon so he would learn hou do compromise. But did Kubrick compromise
> > after Barry Lyndon?
> > Some of the acting in Spartacus is terrific. Charles Laughton and Peter
> > Ustinov are wonderful especially in their scene together. Laurence
> > Olivier is good. Kurt Douglas is hammy. John Gavin, as Julius Caesar,
> > seems to belong in a different movie. And why do they call him Caesar? I
> > thought Caesar was a title, like Czar or Kaiser.
> >
> > Jean Simmons is gracious and lovely. She too seems to be coming from a
> > different movie than one about oppressed slaves thousands of years ago.
> > The homosexual subtext in the movie is also a delight, not only with the
> > snails and oysters scene, but with all the cute naked statues. And there
> > is a scene where Laughton talks about liking women, as if it were wrong
> > to like women.
> > The political subtext of the movie is also fascinating, with commie
> > propaganda lurking throughout. There are lovely scenes of the escaped
> > slaves in their camps, working in their paradisaical collective.
> > It's fascinating the way Spartacus veers from being an intelligent
> > Kubrick movie to a Hollywood schlock movie.
> https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/87098/16-epic-facts-about-spartacus#:~:text=12.,because%20it%20was%20considered%20obscene.

The following concludes:

- Despite the many inaccuracies in the movie, it is mostly faithful to the story of Spartacus. It could be said that on balance that while the film is not correct, but it is far more historically accurate than the average Hollywood blockbuster.

https://dailyhistory.org/How_accurate_is_Stanley_Kubrick%27s_%27Spartacus%27%3F