From: le...@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries,alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien
Subject: Edmund R. Meskys 1936-2021:Covered before?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 04:06:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 04:06 UTC

I do not recall seeing newsgroup coverage of the death of
Edmund R. Meskys (born March 11th 1936),who a web search
reveals died of a heart attack on July 25th 2021.
If anyone has archive links to messages I missed or forgot,
please redirect me.

He was active for decades in science fiction and fantasy
fandom and I ordinarily always met him at Lunacon (the
most recent one I did not attend was in 1978 but the most
recent one held was in 2017)...he had attended them since
the first.

In 1967 he took over leadership of the Tolkien Society of
America from its college-student founder Dick Plotz,and
maintained it until he lost sight in his remaining eye and
chose to fold it into the broader-focussed Mythopoeic
Society in 1972...he eventually joined the National Tolkien League
(which I co-founded in 1973) in 1984.

He was best known for his long-running fanzine Niekas,
I have a number of issues.

-=-=-