Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 09:37:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Procol Harum's Gary Brooker Reviews the Singles of June, 1967
From: joemahon...@gmail.com (Joe Mahoney)
 by: Joe Mahoney - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 17:37 UTC

On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 4:11:17 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZ4dHsOuVE

Procul Harum covered Eight Days a Week, which is kinda weird.

Re: Procol Harum's Gary Brooker Reviews the Singles of June, 1967

<86098588-e856-434b-8dd2-c61abc2526dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2821&group=rec.music.beatles#2821

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 09:44:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 17:44 UTC

On Saturday, February 12, 2022 at 12:37:15 PM UTC-5, joemaho...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 4:11:17 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZ4dHsOuVE
>
> Procul Harum covered Eight Days a Week, which is kinda weird.

It's not a "cover" when someone does an old song 9 years later.

DON McLEAN ON COVER SONGS

The word “cover” is now used by music writers and music fans incorrectly. They use it to describe any attempt by an artist to perform old songs or previously recorded material. The use of this term gives them a bit of authority since it makes them sound like they are in the music business. They are in fact ignorant of what a cover version of a song really is.

Back in the days of black radio stations and white radio stations (i.e. segregation), if a black act had a hot record the white kids would find out and want to hear it on “their” radio station. This would prompt the record company to bring a white act into the recording studio and cut an exact, but white, version of the song to give to the white radio stations to play and thus keep the black act where it belonged, on black radio. A “cover” version of a song is a racist tool. Many examples can be found from “Sha Boom” to “Good Lovin’” It is NOT a term intended to be used to describe a valid interpretation of an old song. In that case every pop singer is nothing more than a cover artist (a derogatory description if ever there was one). I am not a “cover” artist and I do not do “covers”. The Crewcuts were cover artists.

The term has morphed into its present misuse and I suppose I’ll not see this change anytime soon but I do hope the readers of this website and fans who are kind enough to write concert reviews will not use this term.

Madonna did not “cover” American Pie, she just sang an old song, and made an old songwriter mighty happy.

Thanks, DON McLEAN
August 26, 2004