arts / rec.arts.sf.tv / Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

SubjectAuthor
* [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
+* Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedThe Doctor
|`* Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedBlueshirt
| `- Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
`* Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedBlueshirt
 `* Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedNinapenda Jibini
  `* Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedBlueshirt
   +- Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedYour Name
   `- Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows plannedNinapenda Jibini

1
[RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm0eh7$qg9$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2814&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2814

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:41:27 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:41 UTC

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:38:11 +1300

To be taken with a large hill of salt ...

Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks
to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal
Doctor Who villains like the Weeping Angels and the dreaded
Daleks are as iconic as the time traveller himself and his
police box tardis, and we will be soon seeing more of them,
according to an insider.

Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are
to get their own series, an insider says.

Showrunner Russell T Davies is pushing ahead with plans to
expand the "Whoniverse" with Marvel-style spin-offs.

It comes after the BBC struck a deal with Disney+ worth
"tens of millions"last month.

The Beeb sold the US giant the global streaming rights to
Doctor Who outside the UK. The deal means budgets on the
2024 series starring the 15th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa, could
triple.

A source said: "Fans can expect to see Sontarans, Weeping
Angels and Sea Devils in separate series showing what they
get up to when the Doctor isn't there to stop them, along
with Daleks and Cybermen."

Speaking last year Davies said that these exciting new
projects were part of what lured him back to the BBC -
and he suggested there was even scope for a Doctor Who
dedicated channel.

"There are things coming up that are brand new ways of
telling stories that have never been done before," he
explained. "So it just feels new, I wouldn't have gone
back if it wasn't feeling new."

The showrunner already has form for expanding the Doctor
Who universe - in his first tenure as the re-boot boss
from 2005 he was behind Torchwood, starring John
Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness and The Sarah Jane
Adventures, featuring Elisabeth Sladen in the title role.

"We should be sitting here announcing The Nyssa
Adventures or The Return of Donna Noble," Davies said
last year.

"The whole science fiction world is so creative and so
money-making right now, I think your wildest dreams can
come true."

His ambitions sit well with the Disney strategy of
maximising content within franchises by creating a whole
expanded universe of overlapping characters and
timeframes.

Former showrunner Stephen Moffat expressed concerns after
he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who
would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.

"A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should
be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.

Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with
spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and
Loki.

The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.

<https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen-daleks-28586897>

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm0g9v$14ba$38@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2815&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2815

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:11:43 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:11 UTC

Very huge amounts of Salt!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
Happy Christmas 2022 and Merry New Year 2023 Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<nnd$5fbd7ffc$7f4e8c1e@87c149d432f39fc7>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2816&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2816

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:45:03 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:45 UTC

Your Name wrote:

> [...]
> last year.
>
> "The whole science fiction world is so creative and so
> money-making right now, I think your wildest dreams can
> come true."
>
> His ambitions sit well with the Disney strategy of
> maximising content within franchises by creating a whole
> expanded universe of overlapping characters and
> timeframes.
>
> Former showrunner Stephen Moffat expressed concerns after
> he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who
> would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.
>
> "A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should
> be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.
>
> Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with
> spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and
> Loki.
>
> The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.

Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but I've
always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more than just a
Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical that Disney would
want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its platform, so spin-offs
would make perfect sense to them.

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<nnd$3cda47ca$2b78ac4f@635cdfb43e75a9fd>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2817&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2817

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 22:18:34 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:18 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <tm0eh7$qg9$2@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> > From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
> > Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
> > Subject: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
> > Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:38:11 +1300
> >
> > To be taken with a large hill of salt ...
> >

> > Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks
> > to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal
> > Doctor Who villains like the Weeping Angels and the dreaded
> > Daleks are as iconic as the time traveller himself and his
> > police box tardis, and we will be soon seeing more of them,
> > according to an insider.
> >
> > Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are
> > to get their own series, an insider says.
> >
> > Showrunner Russell T Davies is pushing ahead with plans to
> > expand the "Whoniverse" with Marvel-style spin-offs.
> >
> > It comes after the BBC struck a deal with Disney+ worth
> > "tens of millions"last month.
> >

> Very huge amounts of Salt!

Some might say, no smoke without fire!

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<XnsAF5C8866BD21Ataustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2818&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2818

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.drwho
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:24:31 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:24 UTC

"Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote in

> [...]
>> he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who
>> would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.
>>
>> "A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should
>> be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.
>>
>> Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with
>> spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and
>> Loki.
>>
>> The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.
>>

> <https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-villains-cybermen
> -daleks-28586897>
>
> Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but
> I've always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more
> than just a Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical
> that Disney would want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its
> platform, so spin-offs would make perfect sense to them.

Indeed. They have made it clear their business model is to beat
dead horses until there's nothing left but a grease stain on the
sidewalk. Then buy another horse, becuase they clearly have no
breeding stock of their own.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<nnd$11e31e0c$52460018@efa92f4c84a3f7ed>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2819&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2819

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 22:30:11 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:30 UTC

Ninapenda Jibini wrote:

> "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote: in
> >
> > Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but
> > I've always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more
> > than just a Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical
> > that Disney would want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its
> > platform, so spin-offs would make perfect sense to them.
> >
> Indeed. They have made it clear their business model is to beat
> dead horses until there's nothing left but a grease stain on the
> sidewalk. Then buy another horse, becuase they clearly have no
> breeding stock of their own.

Maybe Disney will buy up Star Trek one day? I'd love to see what
spin-offs they could come up with for that dead horse... er, I mean
franchise!

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm104p$1npi$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2820&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2820

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:42:01 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 00:42 UTC

On 2022-11-27 21:30:11 +0000, Blueshirt said:
> Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote: in
>>>
>>> Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but
>>> I've always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more
>>> than just a Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical
>>> that Disney would want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its
>>> platform, so spin-offs would make perfect sense to them.
>>
>> Indeed. They have made it clear their business model is to beat
>> dead horses until there's nothing left but a grease stain on the
>> sidewalk. Then buy another horse, becuase they clearly have no
>> breeding stock of their own.
>
> Maybe Disney will buy up Star Trek one day? I'd love to see what
> spin-offs they could come up with for that dead horse... er, I mean
> franchise!

There's already plenty of spin-offs, both live-action and animated, in
the Star Trek franchise.

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<tm10ci$1ro2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2821&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2821

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:46:10 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 00:46 UTC

On 2022-11-27 21:18:34 +0000, Blueshirt said:
> The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <tm0eh7$qg9$2@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>> From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
>>> Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
>>> Subject: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned
>>> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:38:11 +1300
>>>
>>> To be taken with a large hill of salt ...
>>>

>>> Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks
>>> to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal
>>> Doctor Who villains like the Weeping Angels and the dreaded
>>> Daleks are as iconic as the time traveller himself and his
>>> police box tardis, and we will be soon seeing more of them,
>>> according to an insider.
>>>
>>> Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are
>>> to get their own series, an insider says.
>>>
>>> Showrunner Russell T Davies is pushing ahead with plans to
>>> expand the "Whoniverse" with Marvel-style spin-offs.
>>>
>>> It comes after the BBC struck a deal with Disney+ worth
>>> "tens of millions"last month.
>>
>> Very huge amounts of Salt!
>
> Some might say, no smoke without fire!

Well ... technically a dry ice smoke machine doesn't have any fire,
just frozen carbon dioxide and warm water. :-)

(Side note: They will probably soon be banned by the Climate Change
fanatics, so smoke machines will have to use some sort of carbon-free
smoking material, which may then need a fire.)

Re: [RUMOUR] New "Doctor Who" spin-off shows planned

<XnsAF5CD45B42DE9taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.232>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2822&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2822

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 04:52:32 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 04:52 UTC

"Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote in news:nnd$11e31e0c
$52460018@efa92f4c84a3f7ed:

> Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>
>> "Blueshirt" <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote: in
>> >
>> > Too early to say if the Mirror article has any substance, but
>> > I've always thought that the Disney+ deal was likely to be more
>> > than just a Doctor Who streaming deal long term. It's logical
>> > that Disney would want to capitalise on having Doctor Who on its
>> > platform, so spin-offs would make perfect sense to them.
>> >
>> Indeed. They have made it clear their business model is to beat
>> dead horses until there's nothing left but a grease stain on the
>> sidewalk. Then buy another horse, becuase they clearly have no
>> breeding stock of their own.
>
> Maybe Disney will buy up Star Trek one day? I'd love to see what
> spin-offs they could come up with for that dead horse... er, I mean
> franchise!

Better that franchise than on that I still give a shit about.