Believe everything you hear about the world; nothing is too impossibly bad. -- Honor'e de Balzac

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: My Take on Lennon's Final Days

SubjectAuthor
* Re: My Take on Lennon's Final Dayscurtis...@gmail.com
`- Re: My Take on Lennon's Final DaysEmma Smulders

1
Re: My Take on Lennon's Final Days

<b9ade73e-d74d-4c5d-a9df-9e32c40ac8a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2838&group=rec.music.beatles#2838

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 07:17:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: My Take on Lennon's Final Days
From: curtissd...@gmail.com (curtis...@gmail.com)
 by: curtis...@gmail.com - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:17 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2004 at 12:01:35 AM UTC-4, LongTallSally11 wrote:
> [Mister Charlie or his clone]
> [Jeff]
> > 5 years changes someone. I see nothing that
> > looks like he's not well. He might look 5 years older?
> I agree. About a year ago, I was in a library and saw a
> book of mostly photographs of John, Yoko and Sean
> during the last five years of his life. (I forget the name
> of the book.) I too had once thought his face didn't look
> very good in 1980. But many of the photos in the book
> showed John with his shirt off or in short pants,
> and as I recall, in swimming trunks. After reading
> so much nonsense about his personal life, which
> included rumors about his physical deterioration,
> I was pleasantly surprised at how healthy he looked.
> Yes, he was thin, but his muscle tone was quite good,
> like he'd been weight lifting or working out. He didn't
> look like a body builder or someone obsessed
> with that sort of thing, but his muscle tone was quite
> good. He definitely did not look like someone with
> cancer or a serious illness. Face it, he'd been
> extremely thin since about 1969. It just showed up
> in his face when he hit 40. I suspect too, he was
> very nervous about coming back into public life,
> and the apprehension was present in his face in
> many photos.
> Salvador
> ==> Ordering information for Salvador Astucia's books can be found at
> http://www.jfkmontreal.com/raveningwolf/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.jfkmontreal.com/raveningwolf/
> Also see Astucia's homepage: http://www.jfkmontreal.com

This was the book by the Japanese photographer, right? I agree that John looked fine in some of those pics. But most of them were taken well before 1980. Sean is a baby in lots of them. And the pics from 1980 do show a much thinner, less healthy looking John.

Re: My Take on Lennon's Final Days

<3310905e-c7c6-4845-a85d-a7c5d9839792n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2839&group=rec.music.beatles#2839

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 07:33:12 -0800 (PST)
From: emma.smu...@gmail.com (Emma Smulders)
 by: Emma Smulders - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:33 UTC

Op vrijdag 18 februari 2022 om 16:17:30 UTC+1 schreef curtis...@gmail.com:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2004 at 12:01:35 AM UTC-4, LongTallSally11 wrote:
> > [Mister Charlie or his clone]
> > [Jeff]
> > > 5 years changes someone. I see nothing that
> > > looks like he's not well. He might look 5 years older?
> > I agree. About a year ago, I was in a library and saw a
> > book of mostly photographs of John, Yoko and Sean
> > during the last five years of his life. (I forget the name
> > of the book.) I too had once thought his face didn't look
> > very good in 1980. But many of the photos in the book
> > showed John with his shirt off or in short pants,
> > and as I recall, in swimming trunks. After reading
> > so much nonsense about his personal life, which
> > included rumors about his physical deterioration,
> > I was pleasantly surprised at how healthy he looked.
> > Yes, he was thin, but his muscle tone was quite good,
> > like he'd been weight lifting or working out. He didn't
> > look like a body builder or someone obsessed
> > with that sort of thing, but his muscle tone was quite
> > good. He definitely did not look like someone with
> > cancer or a serious illness. Face it, he'd been
> > extremely thin since about 1969. It just showed up
> > in his face when he hit 40. I suspect too, he was
> > very nervous about coming back into public life,
> > and the apprehension was present in his face in
> > many photos.
> > Salvador
> > ===
> > Ordering information for Salvador Astucia's books can be found at
> > http://www.jfkmontreal.com/raveningwolf/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.jfkmontreal.com/raveningwolf/
> > Also see Astucia's homepage: http://www.jfkmontreal.com
> This was the book by the Japanese photographer, right? I agree that John looked fine in some of those pics. But most of them were taken well before 1980. Sean is a baby in lots of them. And the pics from 1980 do show a much thinner, less healthy looking John.

Actually I thought John looked better at the end of 1980 than before. Some pics of him in Japan from 1978 or something look pretty bad. And then there's that one where he's in a plane from South Africa. He looked pretty bad.