Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Superboy (1988) Reviews: "Countdown to Nowhere" & "The Jewel of Techacal" (spoilers)
From: christop...@wordpress.com (christopherl bennett)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 10:16:26 -0500
 by: christopherl bennett - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 15:16 UTC

Since I subscribed to DC Universe for the sake of finishing my Flash and
Birds of Prey reviews and watching Stargirl uncut, I also finally got the
chance to revisit the 1988-92 syndicated Superboy series (renamed The
Adventures of Superboy in season 3, and under that title on DCU) from
Alexander and Ilya Salkind -- the producers of the Christopher Reeve Superman
movies, who somehow ended up with the Superboy TV rights as a separate thing
from the Superman movie rights they no longer had at this point. Superboy was
the first live-action DC Comics television series since Wonder Woman had
ended in 1979, and the only one for its first two seasons (it was joined by
The Flash and Swamp Thing in 1990). I saw the series when it first came out,
though I haven't seen any of it for nearly 30 years and remember little from
before its fourth season, so I went into this without knowing what to expect.

The show was filmed in Florida, by Disney/MGM Studios in the first season,
moving to Universal Studios Florida for the remaining three. Its first season
starred John Haymes Newton as Clark Kent/Superboy, Stacy Haiduk (whom I had
an intense crush on back in the day) as his love interest Lana Lang, and Jim
Calvert as Clark's roommate T.J. White--not to be confused with The Once and
Future King author T.H. White. Rather, he's the son of Clark's future boss
Perry White. Perry has had a few sons in the comics, but T.J. is original to
the show, a photographer meant as the stand-in for Jimmy Olsen (whom the
Salkinds had redefined as a photographer after decades as a cub reporter).
Recurring players include Scott Wells as Lex Luthor (replaced in season 2 by
the vastly superior Sherman Howard), Michael Manno as Luthor's henchman Leo,
West Side Story's George Chakiris as Professor Peterson, and Roger Pretto as
police lieutenant Harris. The setting was Shuster University in Shusterville,
Florida, with Clark and TJ attending the Siegel School of Journalism--named
in honor of Superman creators Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, of course.

Ironically, the show began only a couple of years after Crisis on Infinite
Earths rebooted the DC continuity and erased Superboy from Clark Kent's
backstory. That made it something of a throwback to the Silver and Bronze
Ages of comics. It was also out of continuity with the Salkinds' Superman
movies, as their Clark spent the corresponding period of his life getting
intensive training from Jor-El's AI ghost (or whatever that was) in the
Fortress of Solitude, and did not meet Lex Luthor until adulthood.

(I feel I should clarify the "Ages" of comics if anyone isn't familiar with
them. As generally defined, the Golden Age began with Superman's debut in
1938 and gradually trailed off post-WWII as superhero comics faded in
popularity. The Silver Age began with the debut of the Barry Allen Flash in
1956 and is characterized by the birth of the modern Marvel Universe under
Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and others in the early '60s. The Bronze Age began in
1970 with DC taking a serious turn in reaction against the Batman sitcom,
while Kirby moved to DC and a new generation of creators emerged at Marvel.
Everything since Crisis in 1985-6 is considered the Modern Age. I've seen a
couple of attempts to define a new age beginning around 2000, but there's no
consensus.)

Superboy was the first full series scored by Kevin Kiner, who would go on to
work on numerous series including contributions to early Stargate SG-1 and
Star Trek: Enterprise, but who is probaby best known today for scoring Star
Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, as well as returning to DC to
score the current Titans and Doom Patrol series in partnership with Clint
Mansell. Kiner's score in season 1 of Superboy is in a synth-and-guitar rock
style--a novelty for the Super-franchise, but Kiner's Superboy motif is one
I've always liked, a pretty good pastiche of the John Williams theme (which
was in turn a pastiche of Sammy Timberg's theme to the Fleischer Superman
cartoon shorts and Leon Klatzkin's theme to the George Reeves TV series). The
music evolves over time along with the rest of the series. Indeed, it
survives beyond the series; Kiner will revive his Superboy theme as the
leitmotif for the Conner Kent incarnation of Superboy in Titans.

The head writer for season 1 was Executive Story Consultant Fred Freiberger,
better known as the man who produced the uneven third season of Star Trek and
the terrible second season of Space: 1999. He had a reputation for ruining
shows, and I'm afraid Superboy did nothing to change that. Be forewarned--the
early episodes of this show are staggeringly inept. Apparently the producers
didn't know if the show would be received well, so they put very little money
and effort into it, which is kind of the opposite of what you should do if
you want a show to be received well. The stories are basic, the villains and
crises mostly mundane, the budget microscopic, the production values and
acting terrible. Despite that, the ratings were good enough that the
producers invested more money in the second half of the season and brought in
established Superman comics writer/editor Cary Bates to join Freiberger as
executive story consultant, along with fellow comics veterans Mike Carlin &
Andrew Helfer, Mark Evanier, and Dennis O'Neil as episode writers. Thanks to
them, the show began to take a more authentic direction with more comic-booky
plots and villains. In broadcast order, this new approach begins with episode
9, interspersed with remaining episodes from the first half. It'll take a
while to get there, though, so bear with me.

COUNTDOWN TO NOWHERE

The first episode filmed, "Countdown to Nowhere," featured Superboy's public
debut; yet for some reason, it was aired fifth, with one of the two broadcast
versions adding a frame sequence to present it as a flashback. The version on
DCU is the straight version with no frame, so I'm covering it at the start
where it belongs. The episode is written by Fred Freiberger and directed by
Colin Chilvers, director of special effects for the Salkinds' three Superman
movies.

The story opens with Lana Lang (who's even more gorgeous than I remembered,
allowing for the '80s perm) on a picket line protesting the development of a
military laser weapon at the university's science building. They're mostly
carrying "No Nukes" signs, yet chanting "No lasers"--which seems
shortsighted, since no doubt many of them own CD players or have cats. Clark
covers the story with TJ taking pictures, but the friendly guard won't let
anyone in the building. Lana meets a trio of evident football players led by
Roscoe (Douglas Barr), who slimily flirts with her but convinces her to help
them sneak in and put a protest sign on the laser before its unveiling the
next day. Lana goes along, but the men pull guns on her and force the guard
to let them in. Somehow, Clark's super-hearing fails to hear her screams over
the protestors' chants, even though he earlier boasted to TJ that his
reporter's ear could do essentially that.

The laser weapon is a device worn over the torso with a targeting helmet, and
it's uncovered, so it's unclear how Roscoe's alleged "unveiling" scheme was
meant to work. They take the laser and gas the guard, with Roscoe abducting
Lana as a "bargaining chip" (and implicitly for other reasons, given how he
paws her). Clark finally notices something's amiss and rescues the guard by
blowing away the gas (though where he blows it to in an unventilated room is
unexplained; in most stories he'd inhale the gas, or neutralize it with heat
vision, or something). The guard later recalls them saying they had to get to
a "big show" within 90 minutes.

In Clark and TJ's newspaper office, Clark asks TJ how far a van could drive
in 90 minutes, then suggests they're probably somewhere in the circumference
he's already drawn on a map, so why ask? I think he was scripted to ask first
and then draw. Clark then gets a phone call from Martha Kent (later played by
Salome Jens, but the voice is uncredited here) and tells her of the crisis,
and she asks if he plans to become Superboy, trusting his decision but asking
him to be careful. Clearly this is something he's already discussed with Ma
and Pa, but not yet carried out. Note that he's decided on his own to use the
name Superboy, rather than being given his hero name by the press as in most
versions from Superman: The Movie onward. Which seems a bit arrogant.

Clark and TJ draw a blank, but luckily they have the TV tuned to every
fictional character's favorite station, the Conveniently Plot-Relevant News
Channel, which mentions an impending space shuttle launch at the Cape. Why
they didn't think of the launch themselves is unclear, given that shuttle
flights had only just started up again in late 1988 after two years of
inactivity following the Challenger disaster, so they were hardly a routine,
forgettable event.

At an airfield near the cape, Roscoe hijacks a helicopter after a general
uses it to fly in for the launch; he boasts that nobody would try to stop a
general's chopper from taking off. Note that his gang intends no harm to the
shuttle; they just want the distraction while they fly to an offshore
rendezvous to sell the laser weapon.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Superboy (1988) Reviews: "Countdown to Nowhere" & "The Jewel of Techacal" (spoilers)

<1844198263.699464813.180573.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2883&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#2883

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: Re: Superboy (1988) Reviews: "Countdown to Nowhere" & "The
Jewel of Techacal" (spoilers)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 08:49:17 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 15:49 UTC

Bravo!

Please, sir, may we have some more?