Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Subject: Bobo Jenkins
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:31:15 -0400
 by: DianeE - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:31 UTC

I was looking up the Dumas label in the "R&B Indies" books (they have it
as 1964) and I came across the Duchess label. It caught my eye because
my cat's name is Duchess.

Anyhow, they have this label listed as from 1955, and one of its two
releases was "Nothing But Love" by Bobo Jenkins, a/k/a my favorite
record of 1959. I checked the Blues Discography which listed the
record, unhelpfully, as "CIRCA 1959."

Do any of you have a better source to check? Thanks.

Re: Bobo Jenkins

<6310be0b.117977484@nntp.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=28930&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#28930

From: maria...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: Bobo Jenkins
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 14:41:05 GMT
 by: Roger Ford - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:41 UTC

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:31:15 -0400, DianeE <DianeE@NoSpam.net> wrote:

>I was looking up the Dumas label in the "R&B Indies" books (they have it
>as 1964) and I came across the Duchess label. It caught my eye because
>my cat's name is Duchess.
>
>Anyhow, they have this label listed as from 1955, and one of its two
>releases was "Nothing But Love" by Bobo Jenkins, a/k/a my favorite
>record of 1959. I checked the Blues Discography which listed the
>record, unhelpfully, as "CIRCA 1959."
>
>Do any of you have a better source to check? Thanks.

Here's what I have :-

According to Leadbitter/Slaven in "Blues Records" (1st ed.) "Nothing
But Love" is recorded in Chicago 1955

First release is in 1959 on Boxer 202 b/w Tell Me Who (from same
above session) . This single is listed in Cash Box r&b reviews June 27
1959 p.53.

I nominated the single in the first edition of Bruce's Obscurities
contest and it featured in same under the above dating

As to the Duchess 101 re-release Leadbitter/Slaven have both titles as
the same recordings as Boxer 202. However based on other Duchess label
issues I date this release as probably late 1964

Note that this Duchess label was based in Chicago and not connected
with the earlier label of that name that ran from 1961 to 1962 and
included Floyd Dixon and RAB artist Johnny Carroll in its releases

ROGER FORD

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mariabus@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please