Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 08:23:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cash Box - Open Letter From Herman Lubinsky - January 1958
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 15:23 UTC

Herman Lubinsky Writes Open Letter To Trade

“Savoy has for several years now attempted to insure the continued de- velopment of jazz by devoting large amounts of recording space to young
innovators in jazz. Public acceptance of the progressive school has been a
slow, arduous struggle, but today, jazz lists among its still limited public
such champions as Stravinsky and Leonard Bernstein. “But recording, alone, is not enough. It is important to jazz and to the jazz industry that young musicians have a positive and fewer large bands and jazz clubs ... all of which have pro- vided some apprenticeship for the struggling but talented jazz musician in the past.

The public needs to understand new directions in jazz and the makeup of the jazz 'musician. The' record industry, itself, needs emphatically a future reservoir of young blood out of which will come record- ings which can stand firmly along side those of Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie. “In providing a scholarship for the School of Jazz, we feel that we are
in some measure contributing to the future of jazz and the music industry
since such a school can provide functions which are outside the realm of our own business structure. As far as I know, the School of Jazz is the only
school devoted exclusively to the development of young jazz musicians
under the direct guidance of top professional musicians. It is a show case
for the young blood and insures continuation of the great jazz tradition.

Its program seeks to eventually bridge the gap between jazz and music
education and it establishes a professional educational status for the leading jazz men of our time. “The struggle of jazz to make it- self heard has not been an easy one. If we of Savoy Records can make that struggle easier by sending young jazz musicians to school, it’s the least we can do.”