Love thy neighbor as thyself, but choose your neighborhood. -- Louise Beal

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Sonny West

SubjectAuthor
* Sonny WestBruce
`* Re: Sonny WestMark D.
 `- Re: Sonny WestKen Whiton

1
Sonny West

<2e5fea02-2b51-4863-9cf9-4403342c0c41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29356&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#29356

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 15:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sonny West
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 22:47 UTC

"It is with heavy hearts we share with Buddy Holly fans and Rockabilly aficionados, Sonny West, most notably the songwriter of “Oh Boy” and “Rave On”, passed away on September 8, 2022 in Grove Oklahoma.
Sonny West, was born as Joe Bob West in West Texas on July 30, 1937. Though Sonny lived many years in Texas and throughout the Southwest, he resided in Northeast Oklahoma the last two years of his life.
Sonny wrote songs, and was a man of many other talents as well, being a self-taught silversmith and artist of beautiful silver and turquoise jewelry inspired by the Native Navajo and Zuni American Tribes of New Mexico. Sonny was also an inventor. He single-handedly manufactured vinyl record needles for jukeboxes around the world. In more recent years, Sonny was a maker of several styles of guitars showcasing that special sound of a bygone era.
Many of us in Sonny’s world, felt he was there at the very beginning of real Rock-n-Roll music, and fortunately crossed paths with Buddy Holly at just the right time, when they were mere teenagers. He has now become one of the last to close out that era.
Before his songs made the Billboard charts with Buddy Holly’s rendition, Sonny had recorded the double-sided 45 record “Rock-ola Ruby” and “Sweet Rockin’ Baby” in 1956. These songs are considered by many to be the beginning of the Rockabilly genre, where it led to what we know as Rock-n-Roll Music.
Sonny is one of the original inductees of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame, the West Texas Musicians Hall of Fame, and is a recipient of BMI’s Million Airplays Award. His songs have been recorded
by scores of artists and featured in dozens of television shows, films, documentaries, and television ads.
Until recently, Sonny performed in live shows in Europe and the U.S., entertaining fans with his well-known classics. He was proud to be a part of the rich history his music had been an integral part of.
He is survived by one sister, two daughters, two step-sons, a step-daughter, four grandchildren, and many nieces, nephews and cousins. He was preceded in death by his wife.
Public visitation date and time are pending.
A public “Rave On” Celebration of Life will also be planned for November in Oklahoma.
If you would like to attend, inquire by email at RaveOn.SonnyWest@gmail.com
If you were impacted by Rockabilly Music, or specifically Sonny’s songs, and would like to share memories, photos or other correspondence, please write to:
Sandra Fay West-Haynes PO Box 451391
Grove OK 74345-1391
In lieu of flowers, please send support to the Buddy Holly Educational Foundation. (tbhef.org)"

Re: Sonny West

<XqidnTeVTdXvNYf-nZ2dnZfqn_hi4p2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29357&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#29357

From: mdintenf...@xxnew.rr.com (Mark D.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: Sonny West
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 02:44:02 +0000
 by: Mark D. - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:44 UTC

On Sep 8, 2022 at 5:47:28 PM CDT, "Bruce" <SavoyBG@aol.com> wrote:

> Before his songs made the Billboard charts with Buddy Holly’s rendition, Sonny
> had recorded the double-sided 45 record “Rock-ola Ruby” and “Sweet Rockin’
> Baby” in 1956. These songs are considered by many to be the beginning of the
> Rockabilly genre, where it led to what we know as Rock-n-Roll Music.

Obituaries can exaggerate, but the notion that Sonny West invented rockabilly
(in 1956!). and some time after that it led to rock'n'roll goes a bity too far
even for a bereaved widow.

--md

remove "xx" for email

Re: Sonny West

<m_-dncf0NaXPIYf-nZ2dnZfqn_hi4p2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29363&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#29363

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 00:08:52 -0400
From: kenwhi...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (Ken Whiton)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Ken Whiton - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 04:08 UTC

*-* On Fri, 09 Sep 2022, at 02:44:02 +0000,
*-* In Article <XqidnTeVTdXvNYf-nZ2dnZfqn_hi4p2d@supernews.com>,
*-* Mark D. wrote
*-* About Re: Sonny West

> On Sep 8, 2022 at 5:47:28 PM CDT, "Bruce" <SavoyBG@aol.com> wrote:

>> Before his songs made the Billboard charts with Buddy Holly’s
>> rendition, Sonny had recorded the double-sided 45 record “Rock-ola
>> Ruby” and “Sweet Rockin’ Baby” in 1956. These songs are considered
>> by many to be the beginning of the Rockabilly genre, where it led
>> to what we know as Rock-n-Roll Music.

> Obituaries can exaggerate, but the notion that Sonny West invented
> rockabilly (in 1956!). and some time after that it led to
> rock'n'roll goes a bity too far even for a bereaved widow.

There is no bereaved widow. "He was preceded in death by his
wife."

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152