Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 08:12:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cash Box Reviews of the Day - 9-16-22 (A Strong Coin Puller)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:12 UTC

JUL 11, 1953

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1953/CB-1953-07-11.pdf

ELMORE JAMES (Flair 1011)

“EARLY IN THE MORNING” (2:41) [ Flair-BMI]
Elmore James etches a strong middle tempo southern blues that should get powerful juke box action

“HAWAIIAN BOOGIE” (2:38)[Flair-BMI]
Flip is a quick beat instrumental that drives.

FATS DOMINO (Imperial 5240)

“PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME” (2:40) [Commodore Music—BMI]
Fats Domino, currently one of the hottest chanters in the charts with his “Goin’ To The River”, follows up with another strong platter. The upper deck, “Please Don’t Leave Me”, is a middle-quick jump in which Fats proclaims his love to the world and begs his baby not to leave him. The chanter rocks out an exciting side with a strong instrumental assist, and a special nod to the
piano fillins.

“THE GIRL I LOVE” (2:05) [Commodore Music—BMI]
The lower deck, “The Girl I Love”, is a slow tender blues softly and emotionally portrayed by Domino. A smooth sax solo on this deck lends a modicum of color. Two powerful etchings and the choice lies with the fellow who puts the coin in the box.

SHIRLEY & LEE (Aladdin 3192)

“SHIRLEY’S BACK” (2:49) [Aladdin Music—BMI]
Great news! Shirley’s back. In the first of the trilogy Shirley sings “I’m Gone”. In the follow up, Lee pleads; “Shirley, Come Back To Me”, and in this, the latest, “Shirley’s Back”. On the strength of the first two, and the signs of action already stirring on “Back”, it is safe to predict that ops will
have a strong coin puller in the pair’s latest. Tune is a slow bounce blues and Lee is emotional as he welcomes her back. Shirley handles her end in familiar baby voiced style.

“SO IN LOVE” (2:01) [Aladdin Music—BMI]
The flip, “So In Love”, is a cute boy-girl love duet sung appealingly by the pair.

THE DAVIS SISTERS (RCA Victor 20-5345)

“I FORGOT MORE THAN YOU’LL EVER KNOW” (2:57) [Fairway Music-BMI]
The Davis Sisters version of the country tune etched with feeling by the team. Soft yodel lends color.

“ROCK A BYE BOOGIE” (2:35) [Teri Music-ASCAP]
The under portion is a fast rhythmic ditty with racing guitar accompaniment.. Lyrics are nursery rhymes with a cute twist in boogie beat.

Re: Cash Box Reviews of the Day - 9-16-22 (A Strong Coin Puller)

<6324cdbf.120013609@nntp.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29757&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#29757

From: maria...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger Ford)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:35:10 GMT
 by: Roger Ford - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:35 UTC

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 08:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <SavoyBG@aol.com>
wrote:

>JUL 11, 1953
>
>THE DAVIS SISTERS (RCA Victor 20-5345)
>
>I FORGOT MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW [Fairway Music-BMI]

>The Davis Sisters version of the country tune etched with feeling by the team
>Soft yodel lends color
>
>ROCK A BYE BOOGIE [Teri Music-ASCAP]
>The under portion is a fast rhythmic ditty with racing guitar accompaniment
>. Lyrics are nursery rhymes with a cute twist in boogie beat.

Long time country favorite of mine by the two gals (not really sisters
just best friends)

They went to #1 on the country chart with this one---a cover of the
Sonny James original (someone on here recently said he made a career
out of bringing out versions of songs originally done by others. This
one gives the lie to that)

So popular that this spawned an inevitable "answer" record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyU-JWS-c-4

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mariabus@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Re: Cash Box Reviews of the Day - 9-16-22 (A Strong Coin Puller)

<42ecih5b5eqq27r4src1uf78aqtvooiqqq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29788&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#29788

From: geo...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 17:50:47 -0400
 by: RWC - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 21:50 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeOs198BH4M

#18 on the US Pop Charts and #1 Country in 1953

"Jerry Byrd on steel and Chet Atkins on guitar" - great!

"Cecil Null out of Bristol, Tn wrote this song."

"Mary Frances Penick (aka Skeeter Davis) & Betty Jack Davis, were not
actual sisters, but school mates; who met in 1947. They began their
career recording for the small Detroit-based Fortune label in 1952,
then made the big-league leap to RCA Victor in 1953.

On August 2, 1953, The Davis Sisters were involved in an automobile
accident, which sadly, took Betty Jack's life and seriously injured
Mary Penick. After Betty Jack's death, her older sister, Georgia,
filled in as one of The Davis Sisters until 1956, when they called it
quits."

"The sad thing is the Davis Sisters {only released one record on RCA}
before Betty Jack Davis died"

"I love Skeeter, but Betty Jack Davis had the richer voice. That's why
Skeeter ... took the high harmony on {this record}.

"This is the REAL COUNTRY MUSIC, not the garbage that is out now."
- "Interestingly enough, when Skeeter Davis was on the charts, people
were saying the same thing, but they were talking about Skeeter, Patsy
Cline and the other 'Nashvile Sound' artists being the people putting
out 'garbage', and they were mourning the loss of 'real country music'
like Jimmy Rogers and Bob Wills, and in turn the people before them
were complaining about how Bob Wills ruined hillbilly music by adding
drums."

>“ROCK A BYE BOOGIE” (2:35) [Teri Music-ASCAP]
>The under portion is a fast rhythmic ditty with racing guitar accompaniment. Lyrics are nursery rhymes with a cute twist in boogie beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DoZDavM4Qc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ItOvdYzuE - Unissued Alternate
"Recorded 23 May 1953 [10:00-13:30] Thomas Productions, 109 13th Ave.
North, Nashville, TN – Skeeter Davis [vcl], Betty Jack Davis [vcl],
Chet Atkins [gt], Velma Smith [gt], Jerry Byrd [steel], Ernie Newton
[bass], Hal Smith [fiddle]. Producer: Stephen Sholes."

"Chet Atkins' echo-drenched guitar intro is very Les Paul-like"
"...using one of the first Echosonic amps"

"the cranked up echo on Chet's energetic guitar solo pre-dated the
fabled Sun Records 'slap-back' echo sound by a few months."

Skeeter Davis, born in Dry Ridge KY, Dec 30, 1931 - Sep 19, 2004,
succumbing to cancer at age 72. Davis had been diagnosed with breast
cancer in 1988 and had a recurrence in 1996.