Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cash Box Reviews of the Day - 9-23-22
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:04 UTC

MARCH 12, 1960

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/60s/1960/CB-1960-03-12.pdf

The Cash Box Pick of the Week

NEIL SEDAKA (RCA Victor 7709)

“STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN” (2:35 ) lAldon BMI—Sedaka, Greenfield]
“FORTY WINKS AWAY” (2:30) [Aldon BMI—Mann, Kolber]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmmICSOtUuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNZf3_AMHo

As a result of hls sensational “Oh Carol” outing, Sedaka has become one of the hottest international artists around today. And he just can t miss with either end of his latest pairing'. “Stairway To Heaven” is a tantalizing rhythm entry while “Forty Winks Away” is an absolutely beautiful ballad offering. Superb Stan Applebaum-ork wrapping's for Neil s great chanting on these two sure-fire smashes. Release is a Nevins-Kirshner Prod.

JOHNNY PRESTON (Mercury 71598)

“CRADLE OF LOVE” (2:20) [Big Bopper, Tree BMI—Fautheree, Gray]
Preston, who probably had the ‘sleeper of the year’ (it took that long to get off the ground) in “Running Bear” can have another smasheroo (in no time flat) in “Cradle Of Love”. It’s an enticing, nursery rhyme novelty thumper that Preston, the ork and chorus, deck out in ultra-commercial style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1dHOGJWDsU

“CITY OF TEARS” (2:10) [Big Bopper BMI—Ravet]
The heartfelt, slow paced “City Of Tears” makes for an excellent companion piece. Looks like Preston is here to stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOkOkffhQo

MISS TONI FISHER (Signet 276)

"HOW DEEP IS THE OCEAN” (2:30) [Irving Berlin ASCAP—Berlin]
Stylist follows her “Big Hurt” smash with a similar distinctive arrangement of the Irving Berlin classic, “How Deep Is The Ocean.” In this corner, it stacks up as a chart repeat by Miss Fisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FaRW4uGxg

"BLUE BLUE BLUE” (2:35) [Music Prod. ASCAP—Shanklin, DeLory]
Flip is a moody item culled from an album. Strong ork support by the Heinie Beau crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y49JttRp64g

THE FIREFLIES (Ribbon 6906)

“BECAUSE OF MY PRIDE” (2:15) [Trinda ASCAP—Tucker, Kahn, Starr]
"Because Of My Pride” can be the third chart-rider in-a-row for the artists who clicked with their two initial Ribbon outings, “You Were Mine and I Can’t Say Goodbye.” It’s another tear-compelling, beat-ballad romancer that the crew dishes up in top teen-appealing fashion.

“MY GIRL” (2:12) [Trinda BMI—Granahan]
My Girl is a warm inviting declaration of love that can also make it big.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bSMVPjdsyI

Title should be "Cherry Pie," not "Cherry Lips."

SKIP & FLIP (Brent 7010)

“CHERRY LIPS” (2:02) [Modern BMI—Josea]
Skip & Flip can climb back up into the big hit-“It Was I” category with their very commercial revival of the while-back r&b click, “Cherry Lips”. Vocal and musical performances, fish beat, delightful lyrics, etc. are right up the teeners’ alley. Watch it take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ow_78bgNk

“(I’LL QUIT) CRYIN’ OVER YOU” (2:05) [Trinity-Desert Palms BMI—Paxton]
Coupler is an intriguing ballad-with-a-beat weeper that also bears close attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWccCTOaz8o

LEROY WASHINGTON (Excello 2172)

B+ “WHY SHOULD I CRY” (2:43)©•"[Excellorec BMI — West, Washington]
Songster achieves an effectivestand on the weeping wistful. Clean sounding tender beat ballad could at-tract attention.

B "MY TRUE LIFE” (2:48) [Excellorec BMI—Washington, West]
Brisk paced blues date finds Washington in an appropriate wailing mood.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5qn6bgYyt4

DAVID GATES (Mala 413)

B “YOU’LL BE MY BABY” (2:07)[Merico BMI—Gates]
Gates supplies a solid belt to the ditty and thecombo socks in a good-sounding way.Would be favored at hops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vzF5--fjjM

C+ “WHAT’S THIS I HEAR” (2:00)w ' [Merico BMI—Gates]
The plaintive provides a fair outlet for a soft vocal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jOazJwkzc

WILLIE HAYDEN (Dooto 452)

B “PEACE OF MIND” (2:37[Dootsie Williams BMI —Wil-liams]
Hayden slips easily into £mournful, earthy blues groove. Bears watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8_tc6uLinM

C+ "TURN THE HI-FI DOWN ’(2:18) [Dootsie Williams BMI—Chambers]
Here Heyden’s violent pleas are accompanied by a lidful of swinging combo-chorus stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bw45x94HY0

DON AND DEWEY (Fidelity 3018)

B+ “LITTLE SALLY WALKER’(2:16) [Venice BMI]
Duo gets Coasters-like effect with its harmony stint on this inviting, gal-titlecrhythm opus. Appealing rock stanza

https://youtu.be/dJS_3vsoxFY?t=12

C+ “KILL ME” (2:27) [Venice BMI—Harris, Terry]
A knock-down-drag-out pleader affords the pairplenty of shouting room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgW_M5Zz02k

RICHARD BARRETT (Seville 104)

B+ “DREAM ON” (2:20) [Rush ©+ BMI — Barrett] Infectious rhythmic from songster Barrett and his vocal-instrumental (rock-astring) backing. This happy sound has got to be watched closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCH2cq5e0Y

B "I AM YOURS” (2:14) [Rush BMI—Barrett]
The declaration is persuasively rendered by all concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcHxF3Otmnw

LITTLE JUNIOR PARKER (Duke 317)

B+ “THE NEXT TIME” (2:25) "[Lion BMI — Malone]
Quick paced blues shout is an excellent vehicle for Parker’s pro handling. Combo really wails in support. A contagious outing that bears marks of success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luwj6L4wtQ4

B "YOU’RE ON MY MIND” (2:03) [Lion BMI — Malone]
Combo attains that special low blues sound through effective use of harmonica and guitar, while Parker offers the lyrics in his most soulful style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgJGRT8iEMo

THE FALCONS (Flick 008)

B+ “THAT’S WHAT I AIM TO DO” (2:05) [West - Higgins BMI— Schofield, West]
The Falcons, of “You’re So Fine”(UA) fame pop up on this Flick outing with what could be another big one for them. Tune’s an enticing rhythm romantic that bounces along brightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgaKY3QwaG0

B “YOU MUST KNOW I LOVE YOU” (2:10) [West-Higgins BMI — Schofield, West]
Here the group lets loose a torrent of frantic, rafter-shaking sounds. Lead is a vibrant standout on both ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9hf1kklAps

OTIS RUSH (Checker 1751) (it's actualy Chess)

B I'M SATISFIED” (2:35) [Arc BMI—Rush]
Rush is a shouting- bundle of romantic glee on this fast breaking swinger. Guitars are used to good advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FHnGBwJssg

C+ “SO MANY ROADS, SO MANY TRAINS” (2:38) [Arc BMI—Marshall]
Songster assumes an earthy attitude for the low down moans on this blues stanza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-mL_EtP2FM

The Cash Box Pick of the Week

DEE CLARK (Abner 1037)

“CLING A LING” (2:35) (Conrad BMI—Oliver]
Here’s another one with that happy-go-lucky-“Just Keep It Up”-“How About That” hit sound. Tabbed “Cling A Ling”, it’s a contagious jumper that again displays Clark’s winning vocal ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QgrXPHZPVc

“AT MY FRONT DOOR” (1:32) [Conrad BMI—Oliver]
Backing is a swinging, big-band revival of the while back Eldorados’ dual-marter,“At My Front Door”. Terrific ork-choral work on both hit contenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtaRPVsaaxw