The last time I saw him he was walking down Lover's Lane holding his own hand. -- Fred Allen

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "Gloria" I did not know)

SubjectAuthor
* 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version ofBruce
`* Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "GloriaPlaylist
 `* Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (VersionBruce
  `- Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "GloriaRWC

1
9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "Gloria" I did not know)

<becee07f-b4c1-4ea8-8d9d-35e161ead367n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=30287&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#30287

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 09:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of
"Gloria" I did not know)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:44 UTC

NOVEMBER 6, 1948

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/48/CB-1948-11-06.pdf

SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

ALAN FOSTER (Regent 140)

'Somebody's Lyin'" (2:49)
"I'll Be Satisfied" (2:52)

Ditty that is sure to be a featured item in juke boxes throughout the land is this bit by piper Alan Foster. It's a cinch to clinch with phono fans and a deck that music operators can reap harvest with. Titled “Somebody's Lyin','' Alan wails the cute wordage in strong, yet tender tones that rate like a
spade flush. Rhythm behind the piper's vocal spot comes in for an extra special orchid too, as the mellow shuffle beat resounds in brilliant manner. The tune is tailor made for the younger set and is delivered in first rate fashion throughout. It's got that certain zing within it to make music fans
dance, whistle and hum the melody from start to finish. Alan's song styling is certain to meet with wide approval and should boost the balladeer into the well deserved musical limelight. On the flip with another comer in “I'll Be Satisfied,” Alan keeps the pace hot and heavy for music ops with this
scintillating hunk of wax. Tempo is merry throughout, with Alan displaying his pipes to score right from the word go. Get with this pair for some fast nickel nabbing action.

I wonder whose dick Herman sucked to get a review like this in Cash Box.

FRANK SINATRA (Columbia 38334)

"If I Steal A Kiss" (3:16)
"Senorita" (2:44)

Pair of romantic sides by balladeer Frank Sinatra, coupled with the syn- copated rhythm of the Alex Stordahl orchestra, make this wax attractive bits for music operators. Top deck, titled “If I Steal A Kiss" is from the flicker “The Kissing Bandit” and as such, should grab some heavy publicity. It’s a smooth
performance by Frankie, delivered in the very best of fashion. Wax aimed at the moon in june set should meet with heavy approval. On the flip with another romantic air in “Senorita,” Frankie flavors this bit with a touch of the Latin to bounce back with an alluring piece of music. The crowd who go for
Sinatra should play this pair night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJlp2gOjIBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXB0EDpavT4

DUKE ELLINGTON ORCH. (RCA Victor 20-3135)

"My Honey's Lovin' Arms" (2:51)
"Suddenly It Jumped" (2:40)

Great musicianship of maestro Duke Ellington really steps out here on this pair tagged “My Honey’s Lovin’ Arms” and “Suddenly It Jumped.” 'The set who appreciate the finer bits of jazz are sure to go for the top deck with Ray Nance in the vocal slot. It’s cute stuff, done up in light bright manner, with Ray purring the cute lyrics. Trumpet spot here rides thru in fine manner to add to the disk’s winning potential. On the other end with an instrumental piece, Duke and the boys render “Suddenly It Jumped.” It’s great music that’s hard to beat with Oscar Pettiford and Taft Jordan shining brightly. Wax rates a spot in your machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRB7tSt0css
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-6bzlAEgD8

RACE DISK O’ THE WEEK

TODD RHODES (King 4240)

"Blues For The Red Boy" (2:41)
"Sportee's Jump" (2:40)

It’s Todd Rhodes and his gang back with another ditty that is certain to garner an avalanche of coin play in juke boxes throughout the land. The great instrumental wares that Todd and the boys offer here is nothing short of terrific. Disk is already climbing in popularity in many sections. Ditty spins in slow tempo with some wonderful sax licks highlighting the waxing thruout. Song has loads of life in it and makes for wonderful listening pleasure. The dance crowd as well is sure to take to this. Rhythm
is terrific with loads of drive shown ip the group’s delivery. On the flip with “Sportee’s Jump,” Todd and the gang switch tempo to set with a platter aimed at the hep crowd. It’s a heavy jump tune with the gang knocking out some wild music. “Blues For The Red Boy” is the side to ride with. Climb on the bandwagon—but fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ygs_es3p6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6WBVqQ1RQA

EARL BOSTIC (King 4247)

"Joy Dust" (2:50)
"Slightly Groovy" (2:41)

Pair of potent sides by the hot Earl Bostic unit, and the metro of “Joy Dust” and “Slightly Groovy” seeping thru the wax. Both sides are done up in medium up tempo vein, with a heavy sax leading the way. Wax is tailor made for the hep jazzophile spots and should meet with excellent reception on the part of music ops. Top deck shows the group’s
instrumental wares in mellow fashion throughout. Flip features a spot of horn blasting thru and should keep the jazz crowd jumping. Listen in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDqu2NiTtYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwtf4vfbpGg

CECIL GANT (Bullet 289)

"I'm A Good Man, But A Poor Man" (2:45)
"Cecil's Jam Session" (2:49)

Vocal warbling of Cecil Gant; and the blues beaming thru on “I’m" A Good Man, But A Poor Man.” Cecil’s heavy pipes pitch in slow tempo, with a fond low shuffle beat weaving thru the background. Lyrics parrot the title and are offered in fair fashion. On the flip with a cute bit in “Cecil’s Jam Session,”
the gang get together to render some mellow hot jazz. Opening chorus detracts from the ditty, altho it has enough balance to carry it thru. Wax is there for the asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5jwSBsJzms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOzM8S3XHA

THE POLL CATS (Atlantic 864)

"Turmoil" (2:39)
"Jumpin' For Jane" (2:41)

Here’s some great stuff for ops who use race music to latch onto! Top notch aggregation under the direction of bassist Eddie Safranski really steps out with this bit of wax labeled “Turmoil” and “Jumpin’. For Jane.” Stuff makes for wonderful listening pleasure and is sure to be widely requested. It’s light jazz offered in the best of fashion, with the crew displaying their instrumental wares in grand manner throughout the waxing. This platter is sure to And its place in many a phono—get with it pronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWF_sMclGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tXfwVF1lPY

TINY GRIMES (Atlantic 865)

"Annie Laurie" (2:51)
"Midnight Special" (2:40)

Bouncing back into the phono spotlight after his smash click disking of “Old Black Magic,” orkster Tiny Grimes sets with a pair here that beckon a ton of coin play. It’s mad, mad music—and sure to win a host of spots with race music fans. Top deck is offered in unusual manner, with a light guitar
playing behind some wonderful sax rhythm. Ditty is catchy and makes you listen and bounce to its grand tempo. On the flip with a slow, shuffle tempo piece. Tiny and the group render “Midnight Special.” Light solo spots highlight the platter and label it a potential coin winner. : Both sides rate heavily and deserve more than ops’ listening time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms2hHIBuyWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ZGf7Z_3dM

(Not sure that these are the correct versions)

THE FOUR GABRIELS (World 2505)

"Gloria" (2:59)
"Recess In Heaven" (2:50)

Here’s a hunk of wax that should attract loads of talk in music circles. The Four Gabriels step to the mike to offer some first rate material in “Gloria” and “Recess In Heaven.” Top deck spills in slow fashion and is currently a hot item on a slew of phonos. Strong ballading displayed here makes for
sensational listening, and should come in for some mighty heavy attention. It’s a beautiful ditty superbly offered, and one which should find a spot in music machines. On the flip with “Recess In Heaven,” another tune that has been clicking away for music ops, the group come back with more grand wax. You’ve gotta listen in to this duo—we’re sure you’ll agree they spell coin play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHxj5DKCZk

BULLSEYE OF THE WEEK

BOB WILLS (MGM 10292)

'Sally Goodin' (2:51)
'Blackout Blues' (2:49)

Here’s an item that is a cinch to be among the favorites before long! It's Bob Wills and his gang out with a brand new one that is a must on your machines. With the entire group joining in for the scintillating and sensational styling of “Sally Goodin’,” we can’t possibly see how this disk can miss. The snappy, peppy tempo keeps the listener jumpin’ throughout the waxing. The tune has loads of zest and should appeal to hillbilly fans everywhere. Smart, happy lyrics shine brightly as the group warble in tones that satisfy. Wonderful violin and guitar work shown here rates orchids and should draw loads of attention in the folk music biz. On the reverse side with “Blackout Blues,” the unit comes back with another deck that appears to be a potential winner for music operators. Lyrics echo the title
and spill in alluring styling throughout. “Sally Gorin’ ” will have phono fans digging for silver!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "Gloria" I did not know)

<crd6jh9fh9gneabmj3cismi898tioq4m6k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=30294&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#30294

From: Playl...@playlist.com (Playlist)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "Gloria" I did not know)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:04:52 -0400
 by: Playlist - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:04 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 09:44:42 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <SavoyBG@aol.com>
wrote:

>NOVEMBER 6, 1948
>
>https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/48/CB-1948-11-06.pdf

Record Reviews

28 links
perm. playlist, subject to any individual links being withdrawn over
time
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=mJlp2gOjIBY,xXB0EDpavT4,JRB7tSt0css,y-6bzlAEgD8,1ygs_es3p6w,U6WBVqQ1RQA,tDqu2NiTtYA,Bwtf4vfbpGg,S5jwSBsJzms,CIOzM8S3XHA,qdWF_sMclGY,7tXfwVF1lPY,Ms2hHIBuyWo,Z9ZGf7Z_3dM,xVHxj5DKCZk,QfZCDrlBBsI,OMFHenhqoFM,s78nIJKFKJM,SG9Jj5XZWqI,qsR2A_Z1Unk,3qKWEwOOKXg,_u3yX-AkUow,iIcBZT3T3OA,8eC5EdnKtUo,RLTuZ9ghMyU,XU-ugcIucmg,D4_Y5cyMd1o,PExqigDpOKM,

temp. playlist (1 or 2 days?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJlp2gOjIBY&list=TLGGEOtw-cuOvegyNzA5MjAyMg

Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "Gloria" I did not know)

<a0bc33f1-eadd-4f1e-a094-d47040287839n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=30334&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#30334

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:36:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version
of "Gloria" I did not know)
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 05:36 UTC

Did anybody here know this already?

THE FOUR GABRIELS (World 2505)

"Gloria" (2:59)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHxj5DKCZk

Re: 9-27-22 - Cash Box Reviews of the Day - NOVEMBER 6, 1948 (Version of "Gloria" I did not know)

<fce8jhhipoivnc9hml66k4de2nh47nfa2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=30344&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#30344

From: geo...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:27:08 -0400
 by: RWC - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:27 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:36:21 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <SavoyBG@aol.com>
wrote:

>Did anybody here know this already?
>
>THE FOUR GABRIELS (World 2505)
>
>"Gloria" (2:59)
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHxj5DKCZk

very nice vocal with an exquisite instrumental performance