From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Subject: PPB: My True Love Hath My Heart / Philip Sidney
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:40:11 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:40 UTC

Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for Valentine's Day:
My True Love Hath My Heart, by Philip Sidney

My true love hath my heart, and I have his,
By just exchange one for the other given:
I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss;
There never was a bargain better driven
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/02/my-true-love-hath-my-heart-philip-sidney_14.html

Re: PPB: My True Love Hath My Heart / Philip Sidney

<suk4h7$2j3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3068&group=rec.arts.poems#3068

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Subject: Re: PPB: My True Love Hath My Heart / Philip Sidney
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:23:02 -0500
 by: George J. Dance - Thu, 17 Feb 2022 00:23 UTC

On 2022-02-14 9:40 a.m., George J. Dance wrote:
> Penny's Poetry Blog's poem for Valentine's Day:
> My True Love Hath My Heart, by Philip Sidney
>
> My true love hath my heart, and I have his,
> By just exchange one for the other given:
> I hold his dear, and mine he cannot miss;
> There never was a bargain better driven
> [...]
>
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/02/my-true-love-hath-my-heart-philip-sidney_14.html

I've been thinking about ways to bump this post, which got buried on
Valentine's Day; and I figured the best way would be to tell my readers
here (if any) what happened on the poetry blog this weekend. You didn't
hear much at the time, as Penny and I broke with the norm of a post with
every new poem this weekend, because of questions about whether they'd
cross the cancellable spam threshold on my new usenet provider. (I am
happy to report, BTW, that these questions have been resolved, and we
will be back to the usual routine service next weekend.)

With Valentine's Day coming on a Monday, I had the idea of running a
long weekend of love poetry; since I'm short of poems for February, and
low on poems for winter, while I still have favorite love poems I
haven't blogged, this would make my weekend easier and result in a
higher quality of posts.

The 3 poems I picked were all classic poems from the 16th and 17th
centuries. The above, by Philip Sidney took the day itself, as a classic
expression of true love. is the earliest, from the Old Arcadia of 1580,
a Shakespearean sonnet from before Shakespeare. Its video is a
contemporary jazzy/bluesy musical setting by Australian
singer/songwriter Paul Kelly.