"Plastic gun. Ingenious. More coffee, please." -- The Phantom comics

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

SubjectAuthor
* McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB MixesNorbert K
`* Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixessuper70s
 `* Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixesgeoff
  +- Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB MixesNorbert K
  `* Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB MixesNorbert K
   `- Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixesgeoff

1
McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

<dc557d25-a833-4daa-982e-99b4023a1f41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3030&group=rec.music.beatles#3030

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 05:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 12:39 UTC

I always wanted to make the group great, and even greater. When we made the Let It Be album, and it was a bit crummy, I insisted that we make Abbey Road, because I knew what we were capable of. I didn't think that we'd pulled it off on Let It Be, and then with the Phil Spector remix, we kinda walked away from that LP. In fact, the best version of it was before anyone got hold of it: Glyn Johns's mixes were great, but they were very, very Spartan; it would be one of the hippest records going if they brought it out. But before it had all its raw edges off it, that was one of the best Beatles albums because it was a bit avant-garde. I loved it.

-- McCartney, in his 1986 Musician Magazine interview

Okay, I just wish he hadn't used the tem "avant-garde" in an effort to seem hip. Before Yoko, the term may have implied cutting-edge; post-Yoko, it means "garbage."

Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

<super70s-020D6F.02363118032022@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3065&group=rec.music.beatles#3065

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:36:31 -0500
 by: super70s - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:36 UTC

> I always wanted to make the group great, and even greater. When we made
> the Let It Be album, and it was a bit crummy, I insisted that we make
> Abbey Road, because I knew what we were capable of. I didn't think that
> we'd pulled it off on Let It Be, and then with the Phil Spector remix,
> we kinda walked away from that LP. In fact, the best version of it was
> before anyone got hold of it: Glyn Johns's mixes were great, but they
> were very, very Spartan; it would be one of the hippest records going if
> they brought it out. But before it had all its raw edges off it, that
> was one of the best Beatles albums because it was a bit avant-garde. I
> loved it.
>
> -- McCartney, in his 1986 Musician Magazine interview

Bleh, he can have it. I never cared to own "Naked" even though I own all
kinds of weird (non-boot) stuff like Live at the BBC, the 3 Anthology
releases and the Star Club recordings.

Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

<XYGdnVS1rqVtg6j_nZ2dnUU7-eGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3068&group=rec.music.beatles#3068

Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:08:15 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:08 UTC

On 18/03/2022 8:36 pm, super70s wrote:
>> I always wanted to make the group great, and even greater. When we made
>> the Let It Be album, and it was a bit crummy, I insisted that we make
>> Abbey Road, because I knew what we were capable of. I didn't think that
>> we'd pulled it off on Let It Be, and then with the Phil Spector remix,
>> we kinda walked away from that LP. In fact, the best version of it was
>> before anyone got hold of it: Glyn Johns's mixes were great, but they
>> were very, very Spartan; it would be one of the hippest records going if
>> they brought it out. But before it had all its raw edges off it, that
>> was one of the best Beatles albums because it was a bit avant-garde. I
>> loved it.
>>
>> -- McCartney, in his 1986 Musician Magazine interview
>
> Bleh, he can have it. I never cared to own "Naked" even though I own all
> kinds of weird (non-boot) stuff like Live at the BBC, the 3 Anthology
> releases and the Star Club recordings.

Well there is an 'open mind' for ya !

geoff

Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

<5f986d9f-79e0-4c89-abfe-84666b8b8c92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3070&group=rec.music.beatles#3070

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 05:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:01 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 8:08:23 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 18/03/2022 8:36 pm, super70s wrote:
> >> I always wanted to make the group great, and even greater. When we made
> >> the Let It Be album, and it was a bit crummy, I insisted that we make
> >> Abbey Road, because I knew what we were capable of. I didn't think that
> >> we'd pulled it off on Let It Be, and then with the Phil Spector remix,
> >> we kinda walked away from that LP. In fact, the best version of it was
> >> before anyone got hold of it: Glyn Johns's mixes were great, but they
> >> were very, very Spartan; it would be one of the hippest records going if
> >> they brought it out. But before it had all its raw edges off it, that
> >> was one of the best Beatles albums because it was a bit avant-garde. I
> >> loved it.
> >>
> >> -- McCartney, in his 1986 Musician Magazine interview
> >
> > Bleh, he can have it. I never cared to own "Naked" even though I own all
> > kinds of weird (non-boot) stuff like Live at the BBC, the 3 Anthology
> > releases and the Star Club recordings.
>
> Well there is an 'open mind' for ya !

Although McCartney had something along the lines of the Glyn Johns mixes for Naked, Paul Hicks was its principal producer.

I hate what Spector did to LiB. However, even a great producer/engineer like Johns could only do so much with what the guys were coming up with at that point.

Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

<bbfba439-1af2-4a12-9c59-b9d270f532fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3072&group=rec.music.beatles#3072

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 05:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:09 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 8:08:23 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 18/03/2022 8:36 pm, super70s wrote:
> >> I always wanted to make the group great, and even greater. When we made
> >> the Let It Be album, and it was a bit crummy, I insisted that we make
> >> Abbey Road, because I knew what we were capable of. I didn't think that
> >> we'd pulled it off on Let It Be, and then with the Phil Spector remix,
> >> we kinda walked away from that LP. In fact, the best version of it was
> >> before anyone got hold of it: Glyn Johns's mixes were great, but they
> >> were very, very Spartan; it would be one of the hippest records going if
> >> they brought it out. But before it had all its raw edges off it, that
> >> was one of the best Beatles albums because it was a bit avant-garde. I
> >> loved it.
> >>
> >> -- McCartney, in his 1986 Musician Magazine interview
> >
> > Bleh, he can have it. I never cared to own "Naked" even though I own all
> > kinds of weird (non-boot) stuff like Live at the BBC, the 3 Anthology
> > releases and the Star Club recordings.
>
> Well there is an 'open mind' for ya !
>
> geoff

Super 70s, Naked is not the Glyn Johns mixes, although McCartney was striving for something along the lines of the Johns mixes. Naked's principal producer is Paul Hicks.

Although I hate what Spector did to LiB (Johns likens Spector's work to "vomit"), even a great producer/engineer could only do so much with what the guys were coming up with songwriting-wise at that time.

Re: McCartney Recalls the Glyn Johns LIB Mixes

<nOidnd_NecFEJav_nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3074&group=rec.music.beatles#3074

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 18:17:08 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 05:17 UTC

On 20/03/2022 1:09 am, Norbert K wrote:

>>> Bleh, he can have it. I never cared to own "Naked" even though I own all
>>> kinds of weird (non-boot) stuff like Live at the BBC, the 3 Anthology
>>> releases and the Star Club recordings.
>>
>> Well there is an 'open mind' for ya !
>>
>> geoff
>
> Super 70s, Naked is not the Glyn Johns mixes, although McCartney was striving for something along the lines of the Johns mixes. Naked's principal producer is Paul Hicks.
>
> Although I hate what Spector did to LiB (Johns likens Spector's work to "vomit"), even a great producer/engineer could only do so much with what the guys were coming up with songwriting-wise at that time.

Hicks or whoever, still rather bizarre to boycott 'Naked' despite having
Anthology and all sorts of other far lesser stuff !

geoff