Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated. -- R. Drabek

interests / rec.food.cooking / High risk produce

SubjectAuthor
* High risk produceEd P
+- Re: High risk produceMarge Anal
+* Re: High risk produceBruce
|`- Re: High risk produceMarge Anal
+* Re: High risk produceGM
|+* Re: High risk produceEd P
||+* Re: High risk produceGM
|||`* Re: High risk produceEd P
||| +- Re: High risk produceBruce
||| +* Re: High risk produceGM
||| +- Re: High risk produceGM
||| `- Re: High risk producemy foolish hammer-drill
||`- Re: High risk producemy foolish hammer-drill
|`* Re: High risk produceHank Rogers
| `- Re: High risk producemy foolish hammer-drill
`* Re: High risk producesongbird
 `* Re: High risk produceHank Rogers
  `- Re: High risk producemy foolish hammer-drill

1
High risk produce

<6626547e$0$6554$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309297&group=rec.food.cooking#309297

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 08:13:51 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: High risk produce
 by: Ed P - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:13 UTC

This is an article in USA Today pointing out the problem of pesticides
in our food

Consumer Reports released a new study on pesticides that found certain
produce contains an 'unhealthy' dose of the insecticides and that green
beans contained residue of pesticides that have been banned for over a
decade.

The study found that some fruits and vegetables pose a higher risk than
others because of the type of pesticide that was found on them.

For example, 4% of green beans tested positive for acephate or
methamidophos, a breakdown product of acephate. Farmers and growers have
been prohibited from using acephate on their green beans since 2011,
while use of methamidophos has been completely banned since 2009.

Catherine Roberts, the in-house reporter who wrote the article for
Consumer Reports, emphasized to USA TODAY that Consumer Reports is in no
way saying folks should start avoiding the produce aisle altogether.

'We are not nay-saying fruits and vegetables,' Roberts said. 'Fruits and
vegetables are so good for you.'

Instead, she says that eating high-risk fruits and vegetables in
moderation is fine.

'We recommend a half a serving or less a day,' said Roberts. 'And that’s
still a significant amount.'

The EPA released a statement that noted the agency tested nearly 30,000
produce samples and 99% of those items showed pesticide residue below
the EPA’s threshold.

'In setting a tolerance, EPA determines the amount of residues of the
pesticide in or on food that are safe,' wrote the EPA in a statement
sent to USA TODAY by Jeff Landis, the press officer of the EPA’s Office
of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention.

'Which means that there is a ‘reasonable certainty that no harm will
result from aggregate exposure to the pesticide chemical residue,’ which
includes dietary and other nonoccupational exposures,' the EPA statement
said.

What are some high-risk fruits and vegetables?

Watermelon and green beans are both high-risk because of the pesticides
that are found in them. Consumer Reports found that watermelons
contained a pesticide called oxamyl.

The pesticide oxamyl is 'among those that (Consumer Reports) experts
believe require extra caution because of their potential for serious
health risks,' the analysis said.

According to Consumer Reports, examples of 'very' high-risk fruit and
vegetables are:

Bell peppers

Blueberries

Imported celery

Imported collard greens

Potatoes

Can you wash out pesticides?

The answer is no.

The produce that was tested, according to Roberts, was washed before it
was evaluated.

The pesticides can either be 'taken up in the roots of the plant, or
they can be absorbed below the skin,' said Roberts. So, while washing
produce before consuming it is 'an important step,' it won’t reduce the
risk of possibly consuming pesticides.

Regardless, Roberts still recommended washing produce for 10 to 15
seconds in cold water before eating it.

Who’s most at risk from pesticides?

Despite residues being found in small amounts of produce, they can still
pose huge risks to the people who consume them, especially children or
people who are pregnant, Roberts said.

She said that not only are some of these pesticides endocrine
disrupters, meaning they can affect hormones in one’s body, but Roberts
said that people whose diets have higher amounts of pesticides could
potentially have a higher risk of getting cancer or cardiovascular disease.

While the pesticide levels in some of the tested produce may be within
EPA limits, Roberts said that could be an indication that the EPA’s
thresholds are too high.

Landis said the EPA stands by its comprehensive pesticide assessment and
review

'EPA’s human health risk assessments consider all relevant scientific
data on the pesticide and are based on the overall risk of a pesticide
taking into consideration comprehensive hazard, dose-response, and
exposure assessments,' the agency said.

But the threat extends beyond consumers, Roberts said. Farmers, their
families and other agricultural workers who handle the produce are also
at a higher risk from contamination.

According to a study published by the National Library of Medicine,
agricultural workers are more likely to be susceptible to illnesses
related to their exposure to toxic chemicals and pesticides. The
chemicals they’re exposed to daily can negatively affect their physical
and neurological health.

How to reduce exposure to pesticides as a consumer

The data Consumer Reports collected showed that pesticide-related risk
was much lower in organic food than in non-organic food.

This is because the Department of Agriculture only allows pesticides
that are approved by the National Organic Program to be used on organic
produce, Roberts said.

'It’s not that organic food has no pesticides,' Roberts said. '(The)
ones that it does (have) are considered lower risk.'

Roberts said that Consumer Reports is asking the EPA to ban
organophosphates and carbamates, the pesticides that are the biggest
drivers of risk in the organization’s analysis.

'These pesticides need to not be used,' she said. 'There’s no need for
it. Organic growers do it without them all the time.'

If the EPA proceeded with Consumer Reports’ request, it would not be the
first time it banned a pesticide.

According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide registration
review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in nearly
25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work on' when
new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'

Re: High risk produce

<20240422083403.6729ca78@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309333&group=rec.food.cooking#309333

From: sph...@inc.ter (Marge Anal)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: High risk produce
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 08:34:03 -0600
 by: Marge Anal - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:34 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 08:13:51 -0400
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide
> registration review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or
> all uses in nearly 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has
> completed work on' when new science points to the need for
> 'additional mitigations.'

And nary a word on Monsanto's terminator seeds - how revealing!

Re: High risk produce

<v06fjh$14kup$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309356&group=rec.food.cooking#309356

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 05:59:42 +1000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:59 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 08:13:51 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>This is an article in USA Today pointing out the problem of pesticides
>in our food
>
>Consumer Reports released a new study on pesticides that found certain
>produce contains an 'unhealthy' dose of the insecticides and that green
>beans contained residue of pesticides that have been banned for over a
>decade.
>
>The study found that some fruits and vegetables pose a higher risk than
>others because of the type of pesticide that was found on them.

<snip>

And then there's herbicides, like Roundup. They should check these
things often and go after producers who use illegal chemicals or too
much of the legal ones. In the case of the US, I wonder how safe
imported Mexican produce is.

Re: High risk produce

<037d9c0d83bb7dd75323dfceb1616670@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309361&group=rec.food.cooking#309361

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:54:44 +0000
 by: GM - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:54 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> [...]

> produce, Roberts said.

> 'It’s not that organic food has no pesticides,' Roberts said. '(The)
> ones that it does (have) are considered lower risk.'

> Roberts said that Consumer Reports is asking the EPA to ban
> organophosphates and carbamates, the pesticides that are the biggest
> drivers of risk in the organization’s analysis.

> 'These pesticides need to not be used,' she said. 'There’s no need for
> it. Organic growers do it without them all the time.'

> If the EPA proceeded with Consumer Reports’ request, it would not be the
> first time it banned a pesticide.

> According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide registration
> review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in nearly
> 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work on' when
> new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'

This article is just some lamestream media leftist hippy - dippy shit, Ed...

We would STARVE without pesticides...

Their use is well worth the *very* minor "risks* involved...

--
GM

Re: High risk produce

<20240422150939.500f5fd9@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309374&group=rec.food.cooking#309374

From: sph...@inc.ter (Marge Anal)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:09:39 -0600
 by: Marge Anal - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:09 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 05:59:42 +1000
Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> In the case of the US, I wonder how safe
> imported Mexican produce is.
A lil pee on the veg never killed anyone.

Re: High risk produce

<6626d27f$0$6556$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309377&group=rec.food.cooking#309377

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:11:28 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:11 UTC

On 4/22/2024 4:54 PM, GM wrote:
> Ed P wrote:
>
>> This is an article in USA Today pointing out the problem of pesticides
>> in our food
>
>> Consumer Reports released a new study on pesticides that found certain
>> produce contains an 'unhealthy' dose of the insecticides and that
>> green beans contained residue of pesticides that have been banned for
>> over a decade.
>

>> If the EPA proceeded with Consumer Reports’ request, it would not be
>> the first time it banned a pesticide.
>
>> According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide registration
>> review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in
>> nearly 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work
>> on' when new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'
>
> This article is just some lamestream media leftist hippy - dippy shit,
> Ed...
>
> We would STARVE without pesticides...
>
> Their use is well worth the *very* minor "risks* involved...

I'd like to see your scientific facts and research. Smart people make
informed choices.

Pesticides and Your Health

The Environmental Protection Agency says agricultural pesticide exposure
is tied to asthma, bronchitis, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Parkinson's
disease, and prostate and lung cancers. Industry groups say that such
residue on food doesn't pose a risk.

Re: High risk produce

<930e1bace8afb99e7d76ea7b48235b8f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309383&group=rec.food.cooking#309383

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:45:54 +0000
 by: GM - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:45 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 4/22/2024 4:54 PM, GM wrote:
>> Ed P wrote:
>>
>>> This is an article in USA Today pointing out the problem of pesticides
>>> in our food
>>
>>> Consumer Reports released a new study on pesticides that found certain
>>> produce contains an 'unhealthy' dose of the insecticides and that
>>> green beans contained residue of pesticides that have been banned for
>>> over a decade.
>>

>>> If the EPA proceeded with Consumer Reports’ request, it would not be
>>> the first time it banned a pesticide.
>>
>>> According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide registration
>>> review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in
>>> nearly 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work
>>> on' when new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'
>>
>> This article is just some lamestream media leftist hippy - dippy shit,
>> Ed...
>>
>> We would STARVE without pesticides...
>>
>> Their use is well worth the *very* minor "risks* involved...
>>

> I'd like to see your scientific facts and research. Smart people make
> informed choices.

> Pesticides and Your Health

> The Environmental Protection Agency says agricultural pesticide exposure
> is tied to asthma, bronchitis, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Parkinson's
> disease, and prostate and lung cancers. Industry groups say that such
> residue on food doesn't pose a risk.

LOTS of stuff can be " tied to " all those above health issues, Ed...

The article falls into the same realm as the silly "advice" stuff we saw in the media about the recent eclipse, e.g. "Your local Law Enforcement Agencies recommend that you NOT take pictures of the eclipse from a moving vehicle while wearing your 'eclipse glasses' - come to a COMPLETE stop to do that..."

IOW the article is just useless "filler"...

When it comes to possible pesticide or other residue on produce, I don't need to consult " scientific facts and research ", I RINSE my friggin' produce, lol...

I normally use a mild hydrogen peroxide solution, especially with stuff that others may have " handled " in the store...

Not being a libtard, I simply use common sense...

--
GM

Re: High risk produce

<v06p0p$16r4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309396&group=rec.food.cooking#309396

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:40:20 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 22:40 UTC

GM wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Roberts said that Consumer Reports is asking the EPA to ban
>> organophosphates and carbamates, the pesticides that are the biggest
>> drivers of risk in the organization’s analysis.
>
>> 'These pesticides need to not be used,' she said. 'There’s no need for
>> it. Organic growers do it without them all the time.'
>
>> If the EPA proceeded with Consumer Reports’ request, it would not be
>> the first time it banned a pesticide.
>
>> According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide registration
>> review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in nearly
>> 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work on' when
>> new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'
>
> This article is just some lamestream media leftist hippy - dippy shit, Ed...
>
> We would STARVE without pesticides...
>
> Their use is well worth the *very* minor "risks* involved...

Exactly. President Trump has been eating this stuff for nearly 80 years
(damn near a century). And he's the picture of health. He's still agile
enough to grab pussy, fuck porn stars, and even Putin loves him.

In another 20 years, Trump will still be president, but Ed will be rotting
in a florida prison, if he's even still alive.

Re: High risk produce

<6626ed5a$0$6541$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309407&group=rec.food.cooking#309407

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:06:03 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:06 UTC

On 4/22/2024 5:45 PM, GM wrote:
> Ed P wrote:
>

> LOTS of stuff can be " tied to " all those above health issues, Ed...
>
> The article falls into the same realm as the silly "advice" stuff we saw
> in the media about the recent eclipse, e.g. "Your local Law Enforcement
> Agencies recommend that you NOT take pictures of the eclipse from a
> moving vehicle while wearing your 'eclipse glasses' - come to a COMPLETE
> stop to do that..."
>
> IOW the article is just useless "filler"...
>
> When it comes to possible pesticide or other residue on produce, I don't
> need to consult " scientific facts and research ", I RINSE my friggin'
> produce, lol...
>
> I normally use a mild hydrogen peroxide solution, especially with stuff
> that others may have " handled " in the store...
>
> Not being a libtard, I simply use common sense...

If you comprehended the written article, rinsing does not get rid of
many of the pesticides. So much for your common sense.

Do you store it in an asbestos container?

Re: High risk produce

<v06rf3$178ut$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309408&group=rec.food.cooking#309408

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:22:09 +1000
 by: Bruce - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:22 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:06:03 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 4/22/2024 5:45 PM, GM wrote:
>> Ed P wrote:
>>
>> LOTS of stuff can be " tied to " all those above health issues, Ed...
>>
>> The article falls into the same realm as the silly "advice" stuff we saw
>> in the media about the recent eclipse, e.g. "Your local Law Enforcement
>> Agencies recommend that you NOT take pictures of the eclipse from a
>> moving vehicle while wearing your 'eclipse glasses' - come to a COMPLETE
>> stop to do that..."
>>
>> IOW the article is just useless "filler"...
>>
>> When it comes to possible pesticide or other residue on produce, I don't
>> need to consult " scientific facts and research ", I RINSE my friggin'
>> produce, lol...
>>
>> I normally use a mild hydrogen peroxide solution, especially with stuff
>> that others may have " handled " in the store...
>>
>> Not being a libtard, I simply use common sense...
>
>If you comprehended the written article, rinsing does not get rid of
>many of the pesticides. So much for your common sense.

He clearly didn't read it and just produced an automated right-wing
reply :)

Re: High risk produce

<71b1458377eadc885ee5617e24616a4f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309411&group=rec.food.cooking#309411

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:23:02 +0000
 by: GM - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:23 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 4/22/2024 5:45 PM, GM wrote:
>> Ed P wrote:
>>

>> LOTS of stuff can be " tied to " all those above health issues, Ed...
>>
>> The article falls into the same realm as the silly "advice" stuff we saw
>> in the media about the recent eclipse, e.g. "Your local Law Enforcement
>> Agencies recommend that you NOT take pictures of the eclipse from a
>> moving vehicle while wearing your 'eclipse glasses' - come to a COMPLETE
>> stop to do that..."
>>
>> IOW the article is just useless "filler"...
>>
>> When it comes to possible pesticide or other residue on produce, I don't
>> need to consult " scientific facts and research ", I RINSE my friggin'
>> produce, lol...
>>
>> I normally use a mild hydrogen peroxide solution, especially with stuff
>> that others may have " handled " in the store...
>>
>> Not being a libtard, I simply use common sense...
>>

> If you comprehended the written article, rinsing does not get rid of
> many of the pesticides. So much for your common sense.

Hey, i could stay inside all the time to avoid any meteors that might crash on top of me head, too...

But I venture out anwyays *despite* the "risk"...

> Do you store it in an asbestos container?

Nope, in Jlll's asbestos underpants, lol...!!!

;-P

--
GM

Re: High risk produce

<b74d60b95b70572d901acbcadc5a6a7c@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309423&group=rec.food.cooking#309423

From: gregorym...@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:32:41 +0000
 by: GM - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:32 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 4/22/2024 5:45 PM, GM wrote:
>> Ed P wrote:
>>

>> LOTS of stuff can be " tied to " all those above health issues, Ed...
>>
>> The article falls into the same realm as the silly "advice" stuff we saw
>> in the media about the recent eclipse, e.g. "Your local Law Enforcement
>> Agencies recommend that you NOT take pictures of the eclipse from a
>> moving vehicle while wearing your 'eclipse glasses' - come to a COMPLETE
>> stop to do that..."
>>
>> IOW the article is just useless "filler"...
>>
>> When it comes to possible pesticide or other residue on produce, I don't
>> need to consult " scientific facts and research ", I RINSE my friggin'
>> produce, lol...
>>
>> I normally use a mild hydrogen peroxide solution, especially with stuff
>> that others may have " handled " in the store...
>>
>> Not being a libtard, I simply use common sense...
>>

> If you comprehended the written article, rinsing does not get rid of
> many of the pesticides. So much for your common sense.

> Do you store it in an asbestos container?

In da words of the immortal "dsi1":

"There's not much to be gained in pointing out how afraid you are of the foods we eat. That's pretty much common knowledge. I have no fear of food at all. I can't say how long I'm going to live but I'm sure that whatever it is that kills me, it's not going to be food....?

--
GM

Re: High risk produce

<nemkfk-ci4.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309451&group=rec.food.cooking#309451

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:33:59 -0400
 by: songbird - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:33 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> This is an article in USA Today pointing out the problem of pesticides
> in our food

i'm so glad i can garden and grow plenty of beans. :)

> Can you wash out pesticides?
>
> The answer is no.
>
> The produce that was tested, according to Roberts, was washed before it
> was evaluated.
>
> The pesticides can either be 'taken up in the roots of the plant, or
> they can be absorbed below the skin,' said Roberts. So, while washing
> produce before consuming it is 'an important step,' it won’t reduce the
> risk of possibly consuming pesticides.
>
> Regardless, Roberts still recommended washing produce for 10 to 15
> seconds in cold water before eating it.
>
> Who’s most at risk from pesticides?
>
> Despite residues being found in small amounts of produce, they can still
> pose huge risks to the people who consume them, especially children or
> people who are pregnant, Roberts said.
>
> She said that not only are some of these pesticides endocrine
> disrupters, meaning they can affect hormones in one’s body, but Roberts
> said that people whose diets have higher amounts of pesticides could
> potentially have a higher risk of getting cancer or cardiovascular disease.
>
> While the pesticide levels in some of the tested produce may be within
> EPA limits, Roberts said that could be an indication that the EPA’s
> thresholds are too high.
>
> Landis said the EPA stands by its comprehensive pesticide assessment and
> review
>
> 'EPA’s human health risk assessments consider all relevant scientific
> data on the pesticide and are based on the overall risk of a pesticide
> taking into consideration comprehensive hazard, dose-response, and
> exposure assessments,' the agency said.
>
> But the threat extends beyond consumers, Roberts said. Farmers, their
> families and other agricultural workers who handle the produce are also
> at a higher risk from contamination.

the other thing is that for much of it you can avoid using
it and only have to cut around or discard the damage. so far
i've been doing without for nearly 20 years, yes, there's some
bugs here or there and some damage from bugs that i cut around
but otherwise i just do not need to use them at all.

> According to a study published by the National Library of Medicine,
> agricultural workers are more likely to be susceptible to illnesses
> related to their exposure to toxic chemicals and pesticides. The
> chemicals they’re exposed to daily can negatively affect their physical
> and neurological health.
>
> How to reduce exposure to pesticides as a consumer
>
> The data Consumer Reports collected showed that pesticide-related risk
> was much lower in organic food than in non-organic food.

:) or even better naturally grown food. it's just not
that hard to do if you have the space and time. once you
know what you're doing you can grow quite a bit of food.

my largest problems here are dealing with the various
critters that also like to eat our plants, but i can't
blame them for knowing what is good to eat.

> This is because the Department of Agriculture only allows pesticides
> that are approved by the National Organic Program to be used on organic
> produce, Roberts said.
>
> 'It’s not that organic food has no pesticides,' Roberts said. '(The)
> ones that it does (have) are considered lower risk.'
>
> Roberts said that Consumer Reports is asking the EPA to ban
> organophosphates and carbamates, the pesticides that are the biggest
> drivers of risk in the organization’s analysis.
>
> 'These pesticides need to not be used,' she said. 'There’s no need for
> it. Organic growers do it without them all the time.'

yes.

> If the EPA proceeded with Consumer Reports’ request, it would not be the
> first time it banned a pesticide.
>
> According to the agency, since the start of its pesticide registration
> review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in nearly
> 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work on' when
> new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'

poisons often accomplish little other than selecting the
next generations of bugs or diseases which can be resistant.

if you know what you are doing you can often switch crops
or find better varieties plus instead of killing off the
planet you can also help improve diversity and still manage
to farm or garden.

avoiding wasting resources can save a lot of money.
like you should not need to fertilize a whole garden every
season. instead if you only fertilize the heaviest feed-
ing plants and then rotate plantings for a few years you
can reduce your fertilizer use and also probably improve
the ground water and runoff (if any - but that is yet
another big topic)...

songbird

Re: High risk produce

<20240423121307.25beee85@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309472&group=rec.food.cooking#309472

From: not...@he.re (my foolish hammer-drill)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:13:07 -0600
 by: my foolish hammer-dr - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:13 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:11:28 -0400
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> The Environmental Protection Agency says agricultural pesticide
> exposure is tied to asthma, bronchitis, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,
> Parkinson's disease, and prostate and lung cancers.

Better stop eating then.

Re: High risk produce

<20240423122003.6a3be834@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309481&group=rec.food.cooking#309481

From: not...@he.re (my foolish hammer-drill)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:20:03 -0600
 by: my foolish hammer-dr - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:20 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:40:20 -0500
Hank Rogers <Hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> And he's the picture of health. He's still agile
> enough to grab pussy, fuck porn stars,

Try that ya dead Kennedys!

Re: High risk produce

<20240423122256.21f705c9@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309486&group=rec.food.cooking#309486

From: not...@he.re (my foolish hammer-drill)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:22:56 -0600
 by: my foolish hammer-dr - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:22 UTC

Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> Do you store it in an asbestos container?

Same as your dentures.

Re: High risk produce

<20240423122543.6aefb29e@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309488&group=rec.food.cooking#309488

From: not...@he.re (my foolish hammer-drill)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:25:43 -0600
 by: my foolish hammer-dr - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:25 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:23:02 +0000
gregorymorrow@msn.com (GM) wrote:

> > Do you store it in an asbestos container?
>
> Nope, in Jlll's asbestos underpants, lol...!!!
>
> ;-P

Full wax needed.

Re: High risk produce

<v09ed2$1sv20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309540&group=rec.food.cooking#309540

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:57:34 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 22:57 UTC

songbird wrote:
> [...]
>> review program in 2006, the EPA has 'canceled some or all uses in nearly
>> 25% of the conventional pesticide cases it has completed work on' when
>> new science points to the need for 'additional mitigations.'
>
> poisons often accomplish little other than selecting the
> next generations of bugs or diseases which can be resistant.
>
> if you know what you are doing you can often switch crops
> or find better varieties plus instead of killing off the
> planet you can also help improve diversity and still manage
> to farm or garden.
>
> avoiding wasting resources can save a lot of money.
> like you should not need to fertilize a whole garden every
> season. instead if you only fertilize the heaviest feed-
> ing plants and then rotate plantings for a few years you
> can reduce your fertilizer use and also probably improve
> the ground water and runoff (if any - but that is yet

The important thing is to care for each plant individually. Right?

Re: High risk produce

<20240423180141.4748fe64@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=309547&group=rec.food.cooking#309547

From: not...@he.re (my foolish hammer-drill)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:01:41 -0600
 by: my foolish hammer-dr - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 00:01 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:57:34 -0500
Hank Rogers <Hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> The important thing is to care for each planet individually. Right?

___ ,-`.
#` `._-
.` _-~.
| _- |
` _-~ '

interests / rec.food.cooking / High risk produce