The world is no nursery. -- Sigmund Freud

arts / alt.tv.days-of-our-lives / Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC

SubjectAuthor
* Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCRick
+* Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCsuzeeq
|`* Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCRick
| `* Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCsuzeeq
|  `- Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCRick
`- Re: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBCChase

1
Subject: Days of Our Lives Goes Dark Amid Renewal Talks With NBC
From: Rick
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:13 UTC
From: ric...@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 13:13:01 -0400
View all headers
https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/

same old, same old...

From: suzeeq
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:27 UTC
From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 10:27:13 -0700
View all headers
On 4/21/2021 10:13 AM, Rick wrote:
https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/ same old, same old...

It's probably got decent ratings this past year, considering they were the only show with new episodes while being shut down for pandemic restroctions.

From: Chase
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:42 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 15:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: chase4e...@gmail.com (Chase)
On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 10:13:03 AM UTC-7, Rick wrote:
https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/

same old, same old...
Thanks for the update, Rick. Fingers crossed here. :) (Chase)

From: Rick
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 23:25 UTC
From: ric...@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 19:25:52 -0400
View all headers
"suzeeq"  wrote in message news:s5pn9i$pp3$1@solani.org...

On 4/21/2021 10:13 AM, Rick wrote:
https://tvline.com/2021/04/21/days-of-our-lives-renewed-cancelled-season-57/ same old, same old...

It's probably got decent ratings this past year, considering they were the only show with new episodes while being shut down for pandemic restroctions.

Actually, no.  In spite of being the only soap airing new episodes throughout 2020, Days continues to lag behind the other three and remains firmly in last place in the ratings.   And I just checked the ratings for the most recent reported week and the numbers appear to be at an all-time low, especially in the all-important women 18-49 demo.  The show's rating in this demo is only 0.26, and I can't remember ever seeing it that low.

Doesn't mean the show won't be renewed of course - the network considers it to have a lot of prestige value - but it does mean any renewal will probably come with more budget cuts, which could mean more salary reductions and perhaps more veteran performers dropped.

From: suzeeq
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 00:15 UTC
From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:15:53 -0700
View all headers
On 4/21/2021 04:25 PM, Rick wrote:
[...]

But can you even compare it to the others on the most recent week only, when for at least half of the last year the other shows were doing repeats?

From: Rick
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 01:41 UTC
From: ric...@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.days-of-our-lives
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:41:49 -0400
View all headers
"suzeeq"  wrote in message news:s5qf7r$t6$1@solani.org...

[...]

It's not just the most recent week.  Throughout 2020 - even when the other shows were showing reruns - Days still got ratings that were below what the other shows got both before and after the stoppages.  Here are Days' ratings for last season:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/days-of-our-lives-2019-20-season-ratings/

Notice that the demo numbers dropped throughout the season and ended up at ..34 at the end of the season in September from a high of .50 back in March. In contrast, here are the ratings for the 2020-21 season:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/days-of-our-lives-2020-21-season-ratings/

Notice the demo started at .32 and dropped way down to .26 in the most recent rating, which could be an all-time low.

Now look at General Hospital's ratings for comparison.  First last year (2019 - 2020):

Note the demo peaks at .57 in March and drops to .34 at start of the dark period, return at .38 and ends the season at .37.  So even with the shutdown, it comes back stronger than Days.

For 2020-21, GH has ratings like this:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/general-hospital-2020-21-season-ratings/

Again, the numbers are pretty consistently higher than Days despite the shutdown and Days staying on air.

I only looked at GH because they are usually closest to Days in ratings, although they remain consistently in third.

Bottom line is that the shutdown didn't really help Days as much as we thought it might.  In fact, it didn't really help at all.