Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 00:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FURTWANGLER-COMPLETE DECCA AND DG RECORDINGS
From: paposhv...@yahoo.com (arel64)
 by: arel64 - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 07:09 UTC

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 7:13:09 AM UTC+4, meyers...@gmail.com wrote:
> Reviewed in the current isue of Fanfare by Henry Fogel (who certainly knows more about the recordings of Furtwangler than anyone else I have read besides Ardoin). Unfortunately he finds the sound when compared to duplications in the Orfeo set and the set issued by the Berlin Philharmonic itself seriously wanting and that also includes private issues by Furtwangler Sound and Pristine. One would think the issuing company would have good results but after the mess EMI has made from many of their reissues I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

The sound may be wanting but I do not trust Henry Fogel in this matter. He consistently extols the Pristine releases.

Re: FURTWANGLER-COMPLETE DECCA AND DG RECORDINGS

<dbb06a14-e4fd-4428-bd1e-d03533412a08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31630&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31630

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 05:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: vladhoro...@hotmail.com (vhorowitz)
 by: vhorowitz - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:53 UTC

On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 2:09:16 AM UTC-5, arel64 wrote:
> On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 7:13:09 AM UTC+4, meyers...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Reviewed in the current isue of Fanfare by Henry Fogel (who certainly knows more about the recordings of Furtwangler than anyone else I have read besides Ardoin). Unfortunately he finds the sound when compared to duplications in the Orfeo set and the set issued by the Berlin Philharmonic itself seriously wanting and that also includes private issues by Furtwangler Sound and Pristine. One would think the issuing company would have good results but after the mess EMI has made from many of their reissues I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.
> The sound may be wanting but I do not trust Henry Fogel in this matter. He consistently extols the Pristine releases.

Yes, Henry Fogel is a wonderful advocate for many things we are interested in, but….he has no clue about remastering quality. And IMHO, if you prefer Pristine’s very-processed and scrubbed interventionism (imho) you are not going to be receptive to more honest representations of the original recordings . I don’t know how to say it more diplomatically.