The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: WAYLTL September 2021

SubjectAuthor
* WAYLTL September 2021George M.
+* Re: WAYLTL September 2021JohnGavin
|`* Re: WAYLTL September 2021George M.
| `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021JohnGavin
|  `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021JohnGavin
|   `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021George M.
|    `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021JohnGavin
|     `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021George M.
|      `- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Andrew Clarke
+* Re: WAYLTL September 2021number_six
|`* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Todd M. McComb
| `- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Al Eisner
+* Re: WAYLTL September 2021HT
|`* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Andrew Clarke
| `- Re: WAYLTL September 2021HT
`* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Dirge
 `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Bob Harper
  +* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Frank Berger
  |`- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Bob Harper
  +- Re: WAYLTL September 2021HT
  +* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Alan Cooper
  |+* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Frank Berger
  ||`- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Alan Cooper
  |`- Re: WAYLTL September 2021HT
  `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Dirge
   `* Re: WAYLTL September 2021Alan Cooper
    +- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Todd M. McComb
    +- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Frank Berger
    +* Re: WAYLTL September 2021HT
    |`- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Owen
    `- Re: WAYLTL September 2021Dirge

Pages:12
Re: WAYLTL September 2021

<25817c40-75c1-421f-b0ab-15b8ed57c88dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31560&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31560

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: WAYLTL September 2021
From: cooperal...@gmail.com (Alan Cooper)
 by: Alan Cooper - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 02:10 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:25:39 PM UTC-4, Dirge wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 12:40:03 AM UTC-5, Bob Harper wrote:
>
> > The Nonesuch LP of Aubade with Jacques Fevrier and Serge Baido, coupled
> > with the Oboe and Clarinet Sonatas, was an early favorite of mine, and
> > my imprint for all three works. Loved the works; loved the record. I
> > have the le Sage, and will have to listen to it again.
> >
> > Bob Harper
> The Nonesuch (a cool and shrewdly adventurous record label if ever there was one) recording is my #1 alternative «Aubade», especially as Février and Baudo team up with that most French-sounding of French orchestras, Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux—Martinon’s recordings with the orchestra from the 1950s are the most Gallic affairs imaginable. Février et al are at their best, I think, in the weightier and more “serious” music, which they carry out with almost martial intensity at times: the opening, for example, is the most threatening and dramatic that I’ve heard. The lighter and more jocular music may be a wee bit heavy and foursquare, but it fits in context and is perversely compelling. Le Sage et al give the more well-rounded and catholic account, I’d have to say, with the most savvily negotiated segues/transitions and well-spun dramatic narrative, but I do miss the severe/kick-butt mentality that Février et al bring to the headier passages.
>
> It seems that the Février recording was made originally by Le Chant du Monde in ’63 or ’64 and later licensed by Nonesuch. Word on the street is that Le Chant du Monde once released it on CD coupled with works by Honegger and Sauguet, but it’s one of those impossible-to-find CDs of the kind that a certain malevolent poster here is always gleefully recommending knowing full well that you’ll never be able to find a copy … you know his all too familiar shtick: “It’s by far the greatest recording of the work in the history of the Universe and any and all parallel universes that may or may not exist, but you’ll never find it. Only I, Alan Cooper, have a copy. BLAH! HA! HA! HA! HA!”

The last sentence of the post immediately above is gratuitous, stupid, insulting, and offensive. Also incomprehensible to me and simply wrong, since I have never done or said anything like what is attributed to me there.

I have tried for many years to be a constructive contributor to this news group and to maintain a civilized tone, but this is the end of the road for me.

With best wishes to the good people who remain,

Alan

Re: WAYLTL September 2021

<si0trt$238$1@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31561&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31561

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 02:17:34 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@newbuild.medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd M. McComb - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 02:17 UTC

In article <25817c40-75c1-421f-b0ab-15b8ed57c88dn@googlegroups.com>,
Alan Cooper <cooperalan50@gmail.com> wrote:
>The last sentence of the post immediately above is gratuitous,
>stupid, insulting, and offensive. Also incomprehensible to me and
>simply wrong, since I have never done or said anything like what
>is attributed to me there.

It seemed like a non-sequitur to me.

Re: WAYLTL September 2021

<QYednUVt8N-Nndn8nZ2dnUU7-dOdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31562&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31562

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:40:16 -0400
 by: Frank Berger - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 02:40 UTC

On 9/16/2021 10:10 PM, Alan Cooper wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:25:39 PM UTC-4, Dirge wrote:
>> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 12:40:03 AM UTC-5, Bob Harper wrote:
>>
>>> The Nonesuch LP of Aubade with Jacques Fevrier and Serge Baido, coupled
>>> with the Oboe and Clarinet Sonatas, was an early favorite of mine, and
>>> my imprint for all three works. Loved the works; loved the record. I
>>> have the le Sage, and will have to listen to it again.
>>>
>>> Bob Harper
>> The Nonesuch (a cool and shrewdly adventurous record label if ever there was one) recording is my #1 alternative «Aubade», especially as Février and Baudo team up with that most French-sounding of French orchestras, Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux—Martinon’s recordings with the orchestra from the 1950s are the most Gallic affairs imaginable. Février et al are at their best, I think, in the weightier and more “serious” music, which they carry out with almost martial intensity at times: the opening, for example, is the most threatening and dramatic that I’ve heard. The lighter and more jocular music may be a wee bit heavy and foursquare, but it fits in context and is perversely compelling. Le Sage et al give the more well-rounded and catholic account, I’d have to say, with the most savvily negotiated segues/transitions and well-spun dramatic narrative, but I do miss the severe/kick-butt mentality that Février et al bring to the headier passages.
>>
>> It seems that the Février recording was made originally by Le Chant du Monde in ’63 or ’64 and later licensed by Nonesuch. Word on the street is that Le Chant du Monde once released it on CD coupled with works by Honegger and Sauguet, but it’s one of those impossible-to-find CDs of the kind that a certain malevolent poster here is always gleefully recommending knowing full well that you’ll never be able to find a copy … you know his all too familiar shtick: “It’s by far the greatest recording of the work in the history of the Universe and any and all parallel universes that may or may not exist, but you’ll never find it. Only I, Alan Cooper, have a copy. BLAH! HA! HA! HA! HA!”
>
> The last sentence of the post immediately above is gratuitous, stupid, insulting, and offensive. Also incomprehensible to me and simply wrong, since I have never done or said anything like what is attributed to me there.
>
> I have tried for many years to be a constructive contributor to this news group and to maintain a civilized tone, but this is the end of the road for me.
>
> With best wishes to the good people who remain,
>
> Alan

One person says something stupid and you're leaving? That is surprising and regrettable.

Re: WAYLTL September 2021

<578a4c33-37e6-47fb-bc0a-5e5e1e39cf28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31563&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31563

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 01:03:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 08:03 UTC

Op vrijdag 17 september 2021 om 04:10:02 UTC+2 schreef cooper...@gmail.com:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:25:39 PM UTC-4, Dirge wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 12:40:03 AM UTC-5, Bob Harper wrote:
> >
> > > The Nonesuch LP of Aubade with Jacques Fevrier and Serge Baido, coupled
> > > with the Oboe and Clarinet Sonatas, was an early favorite of mine, and
> > > my imprint for all three works. Loved the works; loved the record. I
> > > have the le Sage, and will have to listen to it again.
> > >
> > > Bob Harper
> > The Nonesuch (a cool and shrewdly adventurous record label if ever there was one) recording is my #1 alternative «Aubade», especially as Février and Baudo team up with that most French-sounding of French orchestras, Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux—Martinon’s recordings with the orchestra from the 1950s are the most Gallic affairs imaginable. Février et al are at their best, I think, in the weightier and more “serious” music, which they carry out with almost martial intensity at times: the opening, for example, is the most threatening and dramatic that I’ve heard. The lighter and more jocular music may be a wee bit heavy and foursquare, but it fits in context and is perversely compelling. Le Sage et al give the more well-rounded and catholic account, I’d have to say, with the most savvily negotiated segues/transitions and well-spun dramatic narrative, but I do miss the severe/kick-butt mentality that Février et al bring to the headier passages.
> >
> > It seems that the Février recording was made originally by Le Chant du Monde in ’63 or ’64 and later licensed by Nonesuch. Word on the street is that Le Chant du Monde once released it on CD coupled with works by Honegger and Sauguet, but it’s one of those impossible-to-find CDs of the kind that a certain malevolent poster here is always gleefully recommending knowing full well that you’ll never be able to find a copy … you know his all too familiar shtick: “It’s by far the greatest recording of the work in the history of the Universe and any and all parallel universes that may or may not exist, but you’ll never find it. Only I, Alan Cooper, have a copy. BLAH! HA! HA! HA! HA!”
> The last sentence of the post immediately above is gratuitous, stupid, insulting, and offensive. Also incomprehensible to me and simply wrong, since I have never done or said anything like what is attributed to me there.
>
> I have tried for many years to be a constructive contributor to this news group and to maintain a civilized tone, but this is the end of the road for me.
>
> With best wishes to the good people who remain,
>
> Alan

I am sorry to see you go, Alan. You have been a great source of information and most helpful all these years. Your voice will be missed. Thank you for your companionship.

My very best wishes,
Henk

Re: WAYLTL September 2021

<H9idna5e0cR3Wdn8nZ2dnUU7-V-dnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31568&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31568

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: inf...@clipboardinc.com (Owen)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:40:09 -0400
 by: Owen - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:40 UTC

On 9/17/21 4:03 AM, HT wrote:
> Op vrijdag 17 september 2021 om 04:10:02 UTC+2 schreef cooper...@gmail.com:

>>> The Nonesuch (a cool and shrewdly adventurous record label if ever there was one) recording is my #1 alternative «Aubade», especially as Février and Baudo team up with that most French-sounding of French orchestras, Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux—Martinon’s recordings with the orchestra from the 1950s are the most Gallic affairs imaginable. Février et al are at their best, I think, in the weightier and more “serious” music, which they carry out with almost martial intensity at times: the opening, for example, is the most threatening and dramatic that I’ve heard. The lighter and more jocular music may be a wee bit heavy and foursquare, but it fits in context and is perversely compelling. Le Sage et al give the more well-rounded and catholic account, I’d have to say, with the most savvily negotiated segues/transitions and well-spun dramatic narrative, but I do miss the severe/kick-butt mentality that Février et al bring to the headier passages.
>>>
>>> It seems that the Février recording was made originally by Le Chant du Monde in ’63 or ’64 and later licensed by Nonesuch. Word on the street is that Le Chant du Monde once released it on CD coupled with works by Honegger and Sauguet, but it’s one of those impossible-to-find CDs of the kind that a certain malevolent poster here is always gleefully recommending knowing full well that you’ll never be able to find a copy … you know his all too familiar shtick: “It’s by far the greatest recording of the work in the history of the Universe and any and all parallel universes that may or may not exist, but you’ll never find it. Only I, Alan Cooper, have a copy. BLAH! HA! HA! HA! HA!”
>> The last sentence of the post immediately above is gratuitous, stupid, insulting, and offensive. Also incomprehensible to me and simply wrong, since I have never done or said anything like what is attributed to me there.
>>
>> I have tried for many years to be a constructive contributor to this news group and to maintain a civilized tone, but this is the end of the road for me.
>>
>> With best wishes to the good people who remain,
>>
>> Alan
>
> I am sorry to see you go, Alan. You have been a great source of information and most helpful all these years. Your voice will be missed. Thank you for your companionship.

I hope that your "retirement" is only as effective as DK's was.

-Owen

Re: WAYLTL September 2021

<dc0e3324-d33c-4747-a359-70085631b2f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=31655&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#31655

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: jr5...@gmail.com (Dirge)
 by: Dirge - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 03:43 UTC

I was poking fun at the not uncommon practice here at r.m.c.r. of recommending recordings that are all but impossible to find or that have never been released on CD. Your name popped to mind because you do it more often, or so it seems to me, than anyone else … with the possible exception of SE. I do it myself, of course, but not so frequently. In any event, ascribing malevolent intent/motives to a poster over such an innocuous matter is so patently absurd and over-the-top that it never crossed my mind that you or anyone else would take it seriously or at face value—especially given the incredibly hyperbolic and melodramatic language used, complete with diabolical laughter. As it turns out, much to my surprise/disbelief, you have indeed taken it seriously and at face value … and then some. That’s certainly not what I had intended or anticipated, but if that’s how you choose to construe my remarks, then so be it. If you do reconsider your response and decide to hang around, you can rest assured that I’ll reference you no more; just ignore me and my incivil posts (as the better part of r.m.c.r. already does) and continue on as before …