Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 21:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: NYT: Lisa Della Casa, Opera Singer, Dies at 93
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 04:15 UTC

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 5:40:38 PM UTC-8, Frank Forman wrote:
> [...]
> and their daughter, Vesna, who was often in poor health, to their
> castle near Lake Constance in Switzerland. She offered no public
> explanations, nor was she ever tempted into recitals or master
> classes.
>
> Lisa Della Casa was born on Feb. 2, 1919, in Burgdorf, near Bern, to
> an Italian-Swiss father, an ophthalmologist, and a Bavarian-born
> mother, who ran a restaurant. Her parents, both musically inclined,
> encouraged her to pursue an opera career. At 15 she began vocal
> studies at the Zurich Conservatory under Margarete Haeser, her only
> teacher, who instructed her in a mixture of bel canto and Strauss.
>
> Ms. Della Casa made her debut in 1941 in the title role of Puccini's
> "Madama Butterfly" at the Solothurn-Biel Municipal Theater in
> Switzerland. Only two years later she joined the ensemble of the
> Zurich Municipal Opera House, making her debut as Annina in "Der
> Rosenkavalier," a role written for a mezzo. At the Zurich Opera she
> went on to perform most notably as the Queen of the Night in "The
> Magic Flute" and Dorabella in "Così Fan Tutte."
>
> After World War II Ms. Della Casa moved on to the more prominent
> opera stages of Austria. She appeared first at the Salzburg Festival
> in 1947 as Zdenka in "Arabella"; after hearing her premiere
> performance, Richard Strauss himself asserted, "The little Della
> Casa will one day be Arabella!" In the fall of 1947 she made her
> debut as Gilda in Verdi's "Rigoletto" at the Vienna State Opera,
> where she remained an ensemble member for 27 years.
>
> After a brief first marriage that ended in divorce, Ms. Della Casa
> wed Mr. Debeljevic, a Yugoslav journalist and violinist, in 1949. He
> largely dedicated himself to managing her career and helping to care
> for Vesna, their only child. (Information on her survivors was not
> immediately available.)
>
> In 1953 Ms. Della Casa made her debut as the Countess Almaviva at
> the Metropolitan Opera, where she continued to perform until 1968.
> Her early Met performances as Donna Elvira and Madama Butterfly did
> not impress the New York critics. But she hit her stride with
> Arabella.
>
> "There was a youth in her movement and a beauty in her appearance
> that might well have driven Vienna's gay blades wild," Howard
> Taubman of The New York Times wrote in 1957. "And her singing was
> unfailingly lovely--accurate, well focused and sensitively
> phrased."
>
> In the late 1960s Ms. Della Casa began to cut back her performances,
> particularly after her daughter suffered a near-fatal aneurysm in
> 1970. But the opera world was stunned four years later when she
> decided to retire. She spent the rest of her life with her family
> between their castle and a villa on the Mediterranean coast of
> Spain.
>
> "The strange thing about a singer's destiny," she told Mr. Rasponi,
> "is that you have to renounce everything for its sake, and then it's

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.opera/c/D3IbIFLfAdo/m/__YWyYtmCQAJ

Re: NYT: Lisa Della Casa, Opera Singer, Dies at 93

<3MSdnZh6nrN6gMb8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32059&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32059

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: inf...@clipboardinc.com (Owen)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:29:42 -0400
 by: Owen - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 15:29 UTC

On 10/1/21 12:15 AM, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 5:40:38 PM UTC-8, Frank Forman wrote:
>> Lisa Della Casa, Opera Singer, Dies at 93
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/arts/music/lisa-della-casa-opera-singer-dies-at-93.html
>>
>> By JONATHAN KANDELL
>>
>> Lisa Della Casa, the Swiss soprano who combined an outstanding
>> voice, stunning beauty and exceptional stage presence to become one
>> of the foremost interpreters of Richard Strauss, died on Monday in
>> Münsterlingen, Switzerland. She was 93.
>>
>> "The strange thing about a singer's destiny," she told Mr. Rasponi,
>> "is that you have to renounce everything for its sake, and then it's
>> all over in a flash."
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.opera/c/D3IbIFLfAdo/m/__YWyYtmCQAJ

What!! She died?? AGAIN??!!

Just 8G dredging up the past again.