The goal of science is to build better mousetraps. The goal of nature is to build better mice.

arts / rec.arts.poems / PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeorge J. Dance
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyW.Dockery
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeneral-Zod
+* Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyW.Dockery
|`- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyW-Dockery
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeneral-Zod
+- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyW-Dockery
`- Re: PPB: March / Rebecca HeyGeneral-Zod

1
PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<t1q2h4$t0j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3211&group=rec.arts.poems#3211

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:14:29 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:14 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
March, by Rebecca Hey

Could sullen Winter, in his mid career,
Call from his magazine of storm and cloud
A ruder gale than this? How shrill, how loud,
Its angry dissonance assails the ear!
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-rebecca-hey.html

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<9613728602057a6d0c35ba666df33b1e@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3212&group=rec.arts.poems#3212

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:12:15 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:12 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-03-27 3:03 p.m., Zod wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 12:14:30 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> March, by Rebecca Hey
>>>

>>> Could sullen Winter, in his mid career,
>>> Call from his magazine of storm and cloud
>>> A ruder gale than this? How shrill, how loud,
>>> Its angry dissonance assails the ear!
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-rebecca-hey.html
>>
>> Rebecca Hey is darned good....

> She is, and her sonnets fit in well. Like here, March starts with the
> windy day, but the theme is that the weather's changing and the good
> weather's coming; a good introductory poem to the month, and a good lead
> into Wordsworth's about the first good day of the month.

> I like putting in "calendars", poem series for each month of the year. I
> couldn't do that before, because her whole series wasn't available; but
> I think I can fill in the holes now. So for most of this year I'll be
> running 2 calendars: her calendar of sonnets, and Spenser's pastoral
> calendar.

Seems to be a good project.

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<389518196a238eec41a150fbe6b95c2a@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3214&group=rec.arts.poems#3214

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:45:01 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:45 UTC

On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 5:15:21 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:

> >> Rebecca Hey is darned good....
>
> > She is, and her sonnets fit in well. Like here, March starts with the
> > windy day, but the theme is that the weather's changing and the good
> > weather's coming; a good introductory poem to the month, and a good lead
> > into Wordsworth's about the first good day of the month.
>
> > I like putting in "calendars", poem series for each month of the year. I
> > couldn't do that before, because her whole series wasn't available; but
> > I think I can fill in the holes now. So for most of this year I'll be
> > running 2 calendars: her calendar of sonnets, and Spenser's pastoral
> > calendar.
> Seems to be a good project.

Agreed and seconded

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<614dd976609cf7f43c77a6156c7ed13d@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3222&group=rec.arts.poems#3222

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:22:02 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:22 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-03-27 3:38 p.m., Michael Pendragon wrote:
>
>> This sonnet is a cut above PPB's usual fare (and infinitely better than the entries by you know who). The first eight lines offer a fresh take on the fickle weather of early Spring, despairingly asking where the first buds have gone (apparently having been killed by an unexpected March snow). The remaining six lines slip into the hopeful renewal of Spring cliché, and end on a weak note by quoting another poem: the "Twenty-third Sunday after Trinity" from John Keble's book "The Christian Year." Stylistically, the poem reminds me of a Shakespearean monologue (which I consider to be in its favor). Had the last six lines maintained the tone of the first eight, this might have been one of the greats. As is, it makes for a very enjoyable read.

> Thank you for the read and the comment; I was very glad to see you doing
> both early on, before the inevitable thread drift.

> Your comments are dead on. It's very much a transition poem, with, an
> ending in the 19th century trope (cliche is harsh, but understandable)
> of the sweet spring; while the octet, with the wind as the symbol of
> change, is in line with what became the 20th century trope.

> Writing in tropes is something I do find a lot, with the minor poets, in
> the 19th-century verse; maybe it is the individual poets (which is why
> they're minor), or maybe it's the venue; this was the time new poets
> were emerging through magazine verse, which is a bit more constraining;
> but it is common. (Dodge's poem, which ends the month, has much the same
> message, so I used those two sort of bookend the month.)

> I was impressed with your spotting the Keble quotation, which I hadn't
> recognized. XI probably should have recognized it, since I have the
> "Twenty-third Sunday after Trinity" blogged (the only Keble poem on the
> blog at this point):

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2016/11/twenty-third-sunday-after-trinity-john.html

> "The Christian Year" was a big seller, said to have sold ~ a million
> copies, so that tells us a bit about Rebecca Hey's own reading and
> thoughts. Unfortunately, there's still a lot I don't know about her.

Quite cool....

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<28b7b0bdd1a367eb42f8b63a9060d250@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3224&group=rec.arts.poems#3224

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:27:48 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:27 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 12:31:17 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > We were discussing my opinion
>> And I gave my opinion, you shit slinging little monkey.

> You asked me who I had been referring to

I answered the question for you, you shit slinging little monkey.

:)

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<437ec43c3c87ba39af15b5dbf44d76c3@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3227&group=rec.arts.poems#3227

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:59:56 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:59 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> March, by Rebecca Hey

> Could sullen Winter, in his mid career,
> Call from his magazine of storm and cloud
> A ruder gale than this? How shrill, how loud,
> Its angry dissonance assails the ear!
> [...]

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-rebecca-hey.html

Better and better with each new read....

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<895b132c58dd675f6c2a91f53eb92acd@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3236&group=rec.arts.poems#3236

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 21:01:59 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 21:01 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> Michael Pendragon wrote:

>>> And I gave my opinion, you shit slinging little monkey.

>> You asked me who I had been referring to

> I answered the question for you, you shit slinging little monkey.

> :)

Fuck the Voodoo Boy, he is a nut....

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<65fc04a4fc38f72d147661972cb97894@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3266&group=rec.arts.poems#3266

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:35:29 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 10:35 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 3:40:00 PM UTC-4, genera...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
>> >
>> > This sonnet is a cut above PPB's usual fare (and infinitely better than the entries by you know who). The first eight lines offer a fresh take on the fickle weather of early Spring, despairingly asking where the first buds have gone (apparently having been killed by an unexpected March snow). The remaining six lines slip into the hopeful renewal of Spring cliché, and end on a weak note by quoting another poem: the "Twenty-third Sunday after Trinity" from John Keble's book "The Christian Year." Stylistically, the poem reminds me of a Shakespearean monologue (which I consider to be in its favor). Had the last six lines maintained the tone of the first eight, this might have been one of the greats. As is, it makes for a very enjoyable read.
>> Agreed.......

> Shut up, Todd.

So much for pretending to ignore Zod, eh, Pendragon?

🙂

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<e2b9a2dec530c620bbdda66c25d52c88@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3305&group=rec.arts.poems#3305

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:47:43 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:47 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-03-27 3:03 p.m., Zod wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 12:14:30 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> March, by Rebecca Hey
>>>

>>> Could sullen Winter, in his mid career,
>>> Call from his magazine of storm and cloud
>>> A ruder gale than this? How shrill, how loud,
>>> Its angry dissonance assails the ear!
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-rebecca-hey.html
>>
>> Rebecca Hey is darned good....

> She is, and her sonnets fit in well. Like here, March starts with the
> windy day, but the theme is that the weather's changing and the good
> weather's coming; a good introductory poem to the month, and a good lead
> into Wordsworth's about the first good day of the month.

> I like putting in "calendars", poem series for each month of the year. I
> couldn't do that before, because her whole series wasn't available; but
> I think I can fill in the holes now. So for most of this year I'll be
> running 2 calendars: her calendar of sonnets, and Spenser's pastoral
> calendar.

Agreed......

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<5c92c642baa3570262f29535f5f07e54@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3334&group=rec.arts.poems#3334

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 04:47:21 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 04:47 UTC

Zod wrote:

> On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 12:14:30 PM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> March, by Rebecca Hey
>>

>> Could sullen Winter, in his mid career,
>> Call from his magazine of storm and cloud
>> A ruder gale than this? How shrill, how loud,
>> Its angry dissonance assails the ear!
>> [...]
>>
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-rebecca-hey.html

> Rebecca Hey is darned good....

Agreed.

Re: PPB: March / Rebecca Hey

<57d980aa1e3315ca490158574252acb1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3338&group=rec.arts.poems#3338

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 21:03:11 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 21:03 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> March, by Rebecca Hey

> Could sullen Winter, in his mid career,
> Call from his magazine of storm and cloud
> A ruder gale than this? How shrill, how loud,
> Its angry dissonance assails the ear!
> [...]

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/03/march-rebecca-hey.html

Second read..... quite lovely.....