For courage mounteth with occasion. -- William Shakespeare, "King John"

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / German etc. Romantic Choral Music

SubjectAuthor
* German etc. Romantic Choral Musiccheregi
+* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral MusicJohannes Roehl
|`* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Musiccheregi
| `- Re: German etc. Romantic Choral MusicJohannes Roehl
`* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral MusicMandryka
 `* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Musiccheregi
  `* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral MusicChris from Lafayette
   `* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Musiccheregi
    `* Re: German etc. Romantic Choral MusicMandryka
     `- Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Musiccheregi

1
German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<90fcc9a6-e45a-416a-952d-9bd92d321be7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32166&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32166

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:44:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: German etc. Romantic Choral Music
From: elirke...@gmail.com (cheregi)
 by: cheregi - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:44 UTC

I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<5876a018-ee8c-4648-aec1-8ca9ec4bc915n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32168&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32168

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 11:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music
From: parrhe...@web.de (Johannes Roehl)
 by: Johannes Roehl - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 18:30 UTC

cheregi schrieb am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2021 um 18:44:38 UTC+2:
> I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?

I think actual choral pieces were often for fairly large choirs or in any case there was a range from small (like quartets or double quartets which might be best for Brahms' Liebesliederwalzer) to large ensembles. There is a smallish German ensemble called the "Die Singphoniker" who has done the complete Schubert vocal ensemble music on cpo. I have only one volume, which is #5! so apparently there is a lot of music there. My favorites are "Nachtgesang im Walde" and "Gesang der Geister über den Wassern", both rather well known. They probably have at least anthologies of similar music by other composers.
For Brahms I got the Brilliant box of a cappella or piano accompanied choral music and although the choir is middle sized it's "crisp" enough for me. They also have a Mendelssohn box but I don't know that one. Modern professional chamber choirs can sound quite crisp even if they are 30 singers or so.
HTH

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<836b1195-14a7-4120-bb8f-caf31333e1b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32170&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32170

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 12:34:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: howie.st...@gmail.com (Mandryka)
 by: Mandryka - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 19:34 UTC

On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 5:44:38 PM UTC+1, cheregi wrote:
> I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?

Have you heard Schubert's Nachthelle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3GQ17tZIQ&ab_channel=PeterSchreier-Topic

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<29249947-25e5-43dc-9e7f-6840431e6277n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32223&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32223

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:59:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: elirke...@gmail.com (cheregi)
 by: cheregi - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 17:59 UTC

On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 2:30:21 PM UTC-4, parr...@web.de wrote:
> cheregi schrieb am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2021 um 18:44:38 UTC+2:
> > I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?
> I think actual choral pieces were often for fairly large choirs or in any case there was a range from small (like quartets or double quartets which might be best for Brahms' Liebesliederwalzer) to large ensembles. There is a smallish German ensemble called the "Die Singphoniker" who has done the complete Schubert vocal ensemble music on cpo. I have only one volume, which is #5! so apparently there is a lot of music there. My favorites are "Nachtgesang im Walde" and "Gesang der Geister über den Wassern", both rather well known. They probably have at least anthologies of similar music by other composers.
> For Brahms I got the Brilliant box of a cappella or piano accompanied choral music and although the choir is middle sized it's "crisp" enough for me.. They also have a Mendelssohn box but I don't know that one. Modern professional chamber choirs can sound quite crisp even if they are 30 singers or so.
> HTH

Interesting, I didn't realize the range in number of singers was 'intended' from the get-go. Singphoniker has a pleasant sound, thanks. I think I've heard some from the Brahms set you're talking about and I can't say I'm a fan. I mean it's not bad! It just, for me, doesn't match, say, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2x2JH4g5Q&list=OLAK5uy_mURgiCIzc63i0MUDLIdrcdcSgDHN8xaKg&index=4

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<488bf842-9c38-4caa-9f9d-08411811403en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32224&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32224

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: elirke...@gmail.com (cheregi)
 by: cheregi - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 18:02 UTC

On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 3:34:42 PM UTC-4, Mandryka wrote:
> On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 5:44:38 PM UTC+1, cheregi wrote:
> > I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?
> Have you heard Schubert's Nachthelle?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3GQ17tZIQ&ab_channel=PeterSchreier-Topic

I have a hard time getting enthused about any piece for 'soloist, choir, and piano'. Not an auspicious combination for me. What's special about this piece?

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<ad255853-b668-4816-ad85-27fc2f44903bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32235&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32235

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 16:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: CSalo...@operamail.com (Chris from Lafayette)
 by: Chris from Lafayette - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 23:09 UTC

On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 11:02:45 AM UTC-7, cheregi wrote:
> On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 3:34:42 PM UTC-4, Mandryka wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 5:44:38 PM UTC+1, cheregi wrote:
> > > I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?
> > Have you heard Schubert's Nachthelle?
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3GQ17tZIQ&ab_channel=PeterSchreier-Topic
> I have a hard time getting enthused about any piece for 'soloist, choir, and piano'. Not an auspicious combination for me. What's special about this piece?

Uh. . . the striking changes in harmony?

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<dc836b12-6be0-4857-9f57-47c77f665615n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32259&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32259

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 09:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: elirke...@gmail.com (cheregi)
 by: cheregi - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 16:46 UTC

On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 7:09:59 PM UTC-4, Chris from Lafayette wrote:
> On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 11:02:45 AM UTC-7, cheregi wrote:
> > > Have you heard Schubert's Nachthelle?
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3GQ17tZIQ&ab_channel=PeterSchreier-Topic
> > I have a hard time getting enthused about any piece for 'soloist, choir, and piano'. Not an auspicious combination for me. What's special about this piece?
> Uh. . . the striking changes in harmony?

My ears have apparently been warped by too many, on the one hand, madrigals, and on the other, late-Romantic/Impressionist pieces...

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<a7921052-47df-43a4-98f2-e478ed9db6b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32263&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32263

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 12:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: howie.st...@gmail.com (Mandryka)
 by: Mandryka - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 19:42 UTC

See what you make of John Elliot Gardiner's Schicksalslied.

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<2b805897-c1a5-40bf-bf59-01941db95dd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32321&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32321

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 09:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: elirke...@gmail.com (cheregi)
 by: cheregi - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:23 UTC

On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 3:42:38 PM UTC-4, Mandryka wrote:
> See what you make of John Elliot Gardiner's Schicksalslied.

What do YOU make of it? I thought it was boring. All of the Brahms I've heard for 1-5 musicians is far preferable.

Re: German etc. Romantic Choral Music

<ccffddcd-5c1f-4d3a-ae41-305e52557cd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=32322&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#32322

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 10:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: parrhe...@web.de (Johannes Roehl)
 by: Johannes Roehl - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:00 UTC

cheregi schrieb am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2021 um 19:59:22 UTC+2:
> On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 2:30:21 PM UTC-4, parr...@web.de wrote:
> > cheregi schrieb am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2021 um 18:44:38 UTC+2:
> > > I'm interested in the phenomenon of German 19th-c town/village men's choruses, and the music written for them, and recordings of that music. Singer Pur's 'Songs of the German Romantics' CD alongside their usual Renaissance focus really caught my attention, especially the Brahms songs. Amarcord's 'Album francais' also, but I understand the situation in France was very different, there weren't all these local groups gathering to sing for fun? I don't know. A lot of recordings use big big choirs which I don't care for. Aside from Singer Pur and amarcord who sings this stuff with this kind of crispness and directness?
> > I think actual choral pieces were often for fairly large choirs or in any case there was a range from small (like quartets or double quartets which might be best for Brahms' Liebesliederwalzer) to large ensembles. There is a smallish German ensemble called the "Die Singphoniker" who has done the complete Schubert vocal ensemble music on cpo. I have only one volume, which is #5! so apparently there is a lot of music there. My favorites are "Nachtgesang im Walde" and "Gesang der Geister über den Wassern", both rather well known. They probably have at least anthologies of similar music by other composers.
> > For Brahms I got the Brilliant box of a cappella or piano accompanied choral music and although the choir is middle sized it's "crisp" enough for me. They also have a Mendelssohn box but I don't know that one. Modern professional chamber choirs can sound quite crisp even if they are 30 singers or so.
> > HTH
> Interesting, I didn't realize the range in number of singers was 'intended' from the get-go. Singphoniker has a pleasant sound, thanks. I think I've heard some from the Brahms set you're talking about and I can't say I'm a fan. I mean it's not bad! It just, for me, doesn't match, say, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2x2JH4g5Q&list=OLAK5uy_mURgiCIzc63i0MUDLIdrcdcSgDHN8xaKg&index=4

You have to check for availability but Singphoniker recorded a lot of this, about one disc each Brahms, Schumann, Kreutzer, Mendelssohn, Rheinberger and some mixed anthologies, one Strauss+Reger, one "Deutsche Volkslieder". They are a sextett, I believe. Some discs are out of print, unfortunately.