Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 06:09:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Khachaturian -- what nationality...?
From: gekko...@gmail.com (1947Rogerio)
 by: 1947Rogerio - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 14:09 UTC

Em terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2018 às 23:24:03 UTC+1, Juan I. Cahis escreveu:
> Dear friends:
> <wi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 3:43:11 PM UTC+1, Spence... wrote:
> >> Everyone says he was 'Armenian' -- but they all then go on to say he was
> >> born in Tbilisi, which is in Georgia, not Armenia...
> >>
> >> What should one describe him as...?
> >>
> >> Sp.
> >
> > If a Chinese man is born in France, does that make him French? If a
> > Scotsman is born in Pakistan does that make him Pakistani? Or vice-versa?
> > There are Pakistanis born in England...are they Englishmen? My advice is
> > to think of it like this. If a dog gives birth to its puppies in a horses
> > stable because the straw is soft and warm, it won't make them ponies.
> >
> It depends on the law of both Countries. For some Countries, if you are
> born in it, independently of the nationality of your parents, you get the
> nationality of the Country you were born ("Jus Solis"). And for some other
> Countries, you inherit the nationality of your parents, independently of
> where you were born ("Jus Sanguinis").
>
> Latin Countries, like France, Spain, Italy, Latin American, are more
> oriented to "Jus Solis". British Countries, like
> Britain, USA, etc., are more oriented to "Jus Sanguinis".
>
> --
> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.

Shakespeare would say - "MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING". The place where you were born does not decide your nationality, with apparent exception of UK! I was born in Mozambique (during the colonial era) and I was always considered a Portuguese! Even during the post-independence, the new Mozambican government, even so, gave you during sometime the opportunity to decide whether to be Mozambican, whether to maintain your nationality as Portuguese! In some countries, you can keep a double nationality - that is the case of Brazil/Portugal or in the case you were born aboard an airplane belonging to a nationality different from your parents' one. Some countries are so good, that the newborn/adult/old age, until he decides otherwise, may voyage in that airline for every place in the world without paying a single passenger ticket! As a summary about Khachaturian nationality: Before the dissolution of the USSR he was Russian; afterwards, because he was born in Tbilisi he may be considered a Georgian... but from Armenian ascendance. I happens that Khachaturian is buried in Yerevan (a city from Armenia). Then, were is the problem to consider Khachaturian as a Russian, as a Georgian or as an Armenian??!! He has a triple nationality; something that gives a big pride to Russians, Georgians and Armenians. That's it!

Re: Khachaturian -- what nationality...?

<Q-GdnQpoS5g2gQj8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=33270&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#33270

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 10:15:55 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 15:15 UTC

On 11/17/2021 9:09 AM, 1947Rogerio wrote:
> Em terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2018 às 23:24:03 UTC+1, Juan I. Cahis escreveu:
>> Dear friends:
>> <wi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>> If a Chinese man is born in France, does that make him French? If a
>>> Scotsman is born in Pakistan does that make him Pakistani? Or vice-versa?
>>> There are Pakistanis born in England...are they Englishmen? My advice is
>>> to think of it like this. If a dog gives birth to its puppies in a horses
>>> stable because the straw is soft and warm, it won't make them ponies.
>>>
>> It depends on the law of both Countries. For some Countries, if you are
>> born in it, independently of the nationality of your parents, you get the
>> nationality of the Country you were born ("Jus Solis"). And for some other
>> Countries, you inherit the nationality of your parents, independently of
>> where you were born ("Jus Sanguinis").
>>
>> Latin Countries, like France, Spain, Italy, Latin American, are more
>> oriented to "Jus Solis". British Countries, like
>> Britain, USA, etc., are more oriented to "Jus Sanguinis".
>>
>> --
>> Enviado desde mi iPad usando NewsTap, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.
>
> Shakespeare would say - "MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING". The place where you were born does not decide your nationality, with apparent exception of UK!

Mind boggling wrong. Besides the U.S. (you've heard of them?), countries that offer birthright citizenship are:

Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, Canada, Chad, Chile, Cuba, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Jamaica, Lesotho, Mexico, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Uruguay and Venezuela

No UK in that list.

Re: Khachaturian -- what nationality...?

<a3729a57-a4e1-4f17-aa93-7cf1c00144c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=33273&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#33273

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 09:07:36 -0800 (PST)
From: her...@yahoo.com (Herman)
 by: Herman - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 17:07 UTC

On Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 4:16:04 PM UTC+1, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 11/17/2021 9:09 AM, 1947Rogerio wrote:
>

> >> Latin Countries, like France, Spain, Italy, Latin American, are more
> >> oriented to "Jus Solis". British Countries, like
> >> Britain, USA, etc., are more oriented to "Jus Sanguinis".
> >>

> Mind boggling wrong. Besides the U.S. (you've heard of them?), countries that offer birthright citizenship are:

Yes that pseudo-learned Latin was a little weird. USA birthright citizenship has been big news and fodder for political debate (you know, 'anchor babies' etc ) and I'd say no country could be further from jus sanguinis (if that even exists).