From: can...@cometothephonerightnow.invalid (Tatonik)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Re: Fish fry
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:24:55 -0600
 by: Tatonik - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:24 UTC

On 10/30/20 4:26 PM, Tatonik wrote:

> I turned on the radio today and heard Schubert's Trout Quintet.  It
> sounded to me as if the musicians had fire ants crawling up their legs
> as they were playing.
>
> I later found out it was Daniil Trifonov on piano, Anne-Sofie Mutter on
> violin, and some other names I didn't recognize.
>
> Every time I hear something on piano that I really don't like and I
> don't know who's playing, invariably it turns out to be Trifonov.  I
> guess this means I am not a fan.

Just thought I'd say that today on a BBC radio program I heard Trifonov
play the Allegro from the fifth sonata of J.C. Bach, I believe it was,
and that I very much enjoyed the performance. Something about his style
and temperament seemed well-suited to the music.

Even if I haven't been catapulted over to fan status, it's nice to hear
something new and change one's mind a bit.

I wasn't as taken with his Contrapunctus 2 from J.S.'s Art of Fugue, but
we can't have everything.

Re: Fish fry

<95d94deb-cf27-4a67-8bc6-f3b461409185n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=33389&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#33389

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 08:59:47 -0800 (PST)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:59 UTC

Op zaterdag 20 november 2021 om 17:25:00 UTC+1 schreef Tatonik:
> On 10/30/20 4:26 PM, Tatonik wrote:
>
> > I turned on the radio today and heard Schubert's Trout Quintet. It
> > sounded to me as if the musicians had fire ants crawling up their legs
> > as they were playing.
> >
> > I later found out it was Daniil Trifonov on piano, Anne-Sofie Mutter on
> > violin, and some other names I didn't recognize.
> >
> > Every time I hear something on piano that I really don't like and I
> > don't know who's playing, invariably it turns out to be Trifonov. I
> > guess this means I am not a fan.
> Just thought I'd say that today on a BBC radio program I heard Trifonov
> play the Allegro from the fifth sonata of J.C. Bach, I believe it was,
> and that I very much enjoyed the performance. Something about his style
> and temperament seemed well-suited to the music.
>
> Even if I haven't been catapulted over to fan status, it's nice to hear
> something new and change one's mind a bit.
>
> I wasn't as taken with his Contrapunctus 2 from J.S.'s Art of Fugue, but
> we can't have everything.

It's not unusual that pianists I don't like (like Trifonov), excel in Bach or contemporary music. Could it be that these works are less demanding in some way or other?

Henk