What does "it" mean in the sentence "What time is it?"?

arts / rec.arts.poems / In April / David Morton

SubjectAuthor
* In April / David MortonGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: In April / David MortonGeneral-Zod
|`* Re: In April / David MortonGeorge J. Dance
| +- Re: In April / David MortonW.Dockery
| `* Re: In April / David MortonGeneral-Zod
|  +- Re: In April / David MortonGeneral-Zod
|  +- Re: In April / David MortonW-Dockery
|  +- Re: In April / David MortonGeneral-Zod
|  +- Re: In April / David MortonW-Dockery
|  +* Re: In April / David MortonW.Dockery
|  |`- Re: In April / David MortonZod
|  +- Re: In April / David MortonW-Dockery
|  `- Re: In April / David MortonRocky Stoneberg
`- Re: In April / David MortonGeneral Zod

1
In April / David Morton

<t441cv$fsa$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3400&group=rec.arts.poems#3400

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Subject: In April / David Morton
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 13:29:02 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 17:29 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
In April, by David Morton
[...]
No friendly spire, no daily-trodden way
But somehow alters in the April air,
Grown dearer still, on some enchanted day,
For shining garments they have come to wear.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/in-april-david-morton.html

Re: In April / David Morton

<c1791a30d4f225e813acece3b5df0d67@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3402&group=rec.arts.poems#3402

Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:29:32 +0000
Subject: Re: In April / David Morton
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 18:29 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> In April, by David Morton
> [...]
> No friendly spire, no daily-trodden way
> But somehow alters in the April air,
> Grown dearer still, on some enchanted day,
> For shining garments they have come to wear.
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/in-april-david-morton.html

I am fond of Morton's poetry from other reading.... great selection G.D.....

Re: In April / David Morton

<t4csm5$un9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=rec.arts.poems#3430

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 22:03:46 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:03 UTC

On 2022-04-24 2:29 p.m., General-Zod wrote:
> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>> In April, by David Morton
>> [...]
>> No friendly spire, no daily-trodden way
>>      But somehow alters in the April air,
>> Grown dearer still, on some enchanted day,
>>      For shining garments they have come to wear.
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/in-april-david-morton.html
>
> I am fond of Morton's poetry from other reading.... great selection > G.D.....

Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
one I've been able to find online so far.

His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.

Re: In April / David Morton

<58b71c0d3ee0779fc0a6ff6e3f602d04@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3431&group=rec.arts.poems#3431

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:56:46 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:56 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-04-24 2:29 p.m., General-Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> In April, by David Morton
>>> [...]
>>> No friendly spire, no daily-trodden way
>>>      But somehow alters in the April air,
>>> Grown dearer still, on some enchanted day,
>>>      For shining garments they have come to wear.
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/in-april-david-morton.html
>>
>> I am fond of Morton's poetry from other reading.... great selection > G.D.....

> Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
> nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
> one I've been able to find online so far.

> His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
> they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
> highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
> sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.

Interestingly, in my opinion, this makes David Morton a good subject to study in the creation of the sonnet, which sometimes involves learning what not to do, or what to improve on.

Re: In April / David Morton

<5fe13f39a58e60b37b178e8a1268eafc@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3476&group=rec.arts.poems#3476

Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 19:44:05 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 2 May 2022 19:44 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-04-24 2:29 p.m., General-Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> In April, by David Morton
>>> [...]
>>> No friendly spire, no daily-trodden way
>>>      But somehow alters in the April air,
>>> Grown dearer still, on some enchanted day,
>>>      For shining garments they have come to wear.
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/in-april-david-morton.html
>>
>> I am fond of Morton's poetry from other reading.... great selection > G.D.....

> Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
> nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
> one I've been able to find online so far.

> His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
> they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
> highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
> sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.

I am quite fond of them personally......

Re: In April / David Morton

<d3d1e7cdb3bf42152d404d64575c911c@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3502&group=rec.arts.poems#3502

Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:21:55 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:21 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 3:45:14 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:

>> > Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
>> > nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
>> > one I've been able to find online so far.
>>
>> > His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
>> > they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
>> > highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
>> > sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.
>> I am quite fond of them personally......

> They're good reads.

True that...

Re: In April / David Morton

<1a2371f30abd4fbc981422497e9fe020@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3539&group=rec.arts.poems#3539

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 15:01:03 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 6 May 2022 15:01 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> I am fond of Morton's poetry from other reading.... great selection > G.D.....

>> Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
>> nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
>> one I've been able to find online so far.

>> His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
>> they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
>> highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
>> sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.

> I am quite fond of them personally......

I think Pendragon is nit picking you over a comma.

A small example of his hypocrisy.

Re: In April / David Morton

<099666f89bcdf6c7dde1868297042fa0@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3544&group=rec.arts.poems#3544

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 16:59:11 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 6 May 2022 16:59 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 3:45:14 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:

>> > Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
>> > nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
>> > one I've been able to find online so far.
>>
>> > His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
>> > they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
>> > highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
>> > sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.
>> I am quite fond of them personally......

> Personally? Do they visit you at the bum camp?

You are one dumb motherfucker, Pendragon....!

Re: In April / David Morton

<d65e6389473f52f02fdd8c2f93440275@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3546&group=rec.arts.poems#3546

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 17:49:09 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:49 UTC

Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:00:22 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
>> Michael Pendragon wrote:

>> > Personally? Do they visit you at the bum camp?
>> You are one dumb motherfucker, Pendragon....!

> I'm not the one who claims to be visited by sonnets

You /did/ claim you were visited by little "fairy men" once, though, Pendragon.

Enough said.

:)

Re: In April / David Morton

<c70f947d-7baf-4fd3-a446-121b90882ee2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3550&group=rec.arts.poems#3550

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: generalz...@gmail.com (General Zod)
 by: General Zod - Fri, 6 May 2022 18:21 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 2:18:06 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:50:11 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > Michael Pendragon wrote:

> > > I'm not the one who claims to be visited by sonnets
> > You /did/ claim you were visited by little "fairy men" once, though, Pendragon.
> >
> > Enough said.
> No, Donkey, I did not say any such thing.
>
> I said that I've been visited by fairies on more than one occasion; these fairies were of both sexes, and their size is unknown to me, as I was unable to see them.

You sound like a fucking crazy fool, Voodoo Boy...

QUOTE OF THE DAY... ha ha...

Re: In April / David Morton

<64857109dfd73e3e481fb3fbe137f2ac@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3555&group=rec.arts.poems#3555

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 19:28:24 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 6 May 2022 19:28 UTC

Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:

> [...]

<...>

> That is extremely different from what you wrote, Will

Not really.

You wrote:

"I said that I've been visited by fairies on more than one occasion; these fairies were of both sexes, and their size is unknown to me, as I was unable to see them."

So you say you see "fairies".

:)

Re: In April / David Morton

<ecfbe1e468d6ffc1c53eb73dd8a82e95@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3557&group=rec.arts.poems#3557

Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 19:43:57 +0000
From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Zod - Fri, 6 May 2022 19:43 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:

> <...>

>> That is extremely different from what you wrote, Will

> Not really.

> I wrote:

> "You /did/ claim you were visited by little "fairy men" once, though, Pendragon."

> You wrote:

> "I said that I've been visited by fairies on more than one occasion; these fairies were of both sexes, and their size is unknown to me, as I was unable to see them."

> So you say you see "fairies".

> :)

Ye hast nailed it Doc....

Re: In April / David Morton

<391813051a966530da0f6ac17bbe2cf8@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3602&group=rec.arts.poems#3602

Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 11:46:39 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 9 May 2022 11:46 UTC

% wrote:

> Family Guy Alex Dink Cain wrote:
>
>> I've seen two fairies in this newsgroup...
>>
> and one dwarf..

> https://alt.usenet.kooks.narkive.com/DgD7sKvS/so-dink-aka-alex-cain-is-a-failed-midget-professional-wrestler

Amazing, I never knew that Alex was once an aspiring wrestler.

Re: In April / David Morton

<2986b4f663020e84056dfa511735fb80@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5784&group=rec.arts.poems#5784

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 19:41:46 +0000
From: rockysto...@gmail.com (Rocky Stoneberg)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Rocky Stoneberg - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 19:41 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

>>> I am fond of Morton's poetry from other reading.... great selection > G.D.....

>> Yeah, I noticed that I've used 7 of his sonnets since the start, and I'm
>> nowhere near running out. And that's from just his first book, the only
>> one I've been able to find online so far.

>> His sonnets are always well written. The biggest criticism I can make is
>> they're all very much the same, all mixed in the midrange without any
>> highs or lows, if you know what I mean. So they may not read well at one
>> sitting; but mixed in once a month they're always a good read.

Cool..... cool.....