Lack of skill dictates economy of style. -- Joey Ramone

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / mitropoulos set

SubjectAuthor
* mitropoulos setpeter heiman
`* Re: mitropoulos setFrank Berger
 `* Re: mitropoulos setdrh8h
  `- Re: mitropoulos setFrank Berger

1
mitropoulos set

<c41c1b09-18ba-4ccb-a697-2c68f8fb2380n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34349&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34349

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 14:36:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: mitropoulos set
From: baritone...@gmail.com (peter heiman)
 by: peter heiman - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 22:36 UTC

To say this is overdue, 61 years after his death, is almost a joke. Most of these are available on you-tube, and I would hope that this set will be of improved enough sound quality to justify the purchase. That there is no Mahler besides the 1940 1st is sad, reflecting Columbia's stupidity.

Re: mitropoulos set

<0ZKdnbnVmvbSNy_8nZ2dnUU7-YXNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34354&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34354

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 20:15:57 -0500
Subject: Re: mitropoulos set
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 01:15 UTC

On 12/9/2021 5:36 PM, peter heiman wrote:
> To say this is overdue, 61 years after his death, is almost a joke. Most of these are available on you-tube, and I would hope that this set will be of improved enough sound quality to justify the purchase. That there is no Mahler besides the 1940 1st is sad, reflecting Columbia's stupidity.

The set includes Mitropoulos'recordings for RCA and Columbia. It appears to me that the 1st was the only Mahler Mitropoulos recorded for Columbia and he recorded no Mahler for RCA. I don't know the source of the various Mahler/Mitropoulos recordings that have been released on Arcadia, Music & Arts, but it's not apparently RCA or Columbia. While we can all agree there are plenty of stupid record executives, the scarcity of Mahler in this set isn't evidence of it.

Re: mitropoulos set

<66bc8482-5779-426a-bf05-31244c30a2f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34355&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34355

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 19:39:12 -0800 (PST)
From: drh...@mac.com (drh8h)
 by: drh8h - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 03:39 UTC

On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 8:16:07 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 12/9/2021 5:36 PM, peter heiman wrote:
> > To say this is overdue, 61 years after his death, is almost a joke. Most of these are available on you-tube, and I would hope that this set will be of improved enough sound quality to justify the purchase. That there is no Mahler besides the 1940 1st is sad, reflecting Columbia's stupidity.
> >
> The set includes Mitropoulos'recordings for RCA and Columbia. It appears to me that the 1st was the only Mahler Mitropoulos recorded for Columbia and he recorded no Mahler for RCA. I don't know the source of the various Mahler/Mitropoulos recordings that have been released on Arcadia, Music & Arts, but it's not apparently RCA or Columbia. While we can all agree there are plenty of stupid record executives, the scarcity of Mahler in this set isn't evidence of it.

Walter had a lock on Mahler recordings for Columbia during the forties and fifties. The Third Symphony recording was supposed to be conducted by DM, but death intervened, someone named Bernstein took it, and as they say, the rest is history.

DH

Re: mitropoulos set

<3tadnWnf4ZECRy_8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34356&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34356

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 23:42:07 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 04:42 UTC

On 12/9/2021 10:39 PM, drh8h wrote:
> On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 8:16:07 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
>> On 12/9/2021 5:36 PM, peter heiman wrote:
>>> To say this is overdue, 61 years after his death, is almost a joke. Most of these are available on you-tube, and I would hope that this set will be of improved enough sound quality to justify the purchase. That there is no Mahler besides the 1940 1st is sad, reflecting Columbia's stupidity.
>>>
>> The set includes Mitropoulos'recordings for RCA and Columbia. It appears to me that the 1st was the only Mahler Mitropoulos recorded for Columbia and he recorded no Mahler for RCA. I don't know the source of the various Mahler/Mitropoulos recordings that have been released on Arcadia, Music & Arts, but it's not apparently RCA or Columbia. While we can all agree there are plenty of stupid record executives, the scarcity of Mahler in this set isn't evidence of it.
>
> Walter had a lock on Mahler recordings for Columbia during the forties and fifties. The Third Symphony recording was supposed to be conducted by DM, but death intervened, someone named Bernstein took it, and as they say, the rest is history.
>
> DH

Ever think about how odd the expression "the rest is history" is? I guess it means "we know what happened next." But isn't what happened before still history? My head is starting to hurt.