You have been selected for a secret mission.

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Listening to Chopin's Nocturnes

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Listening to Chopin's NocturnesDan Koren
`* Re: Listening to Chopin's NocturnesDan Koren
 `* Re: Listening to Chopin's NocturnesHT
  `- Re: Listening to Chopin's NocturnesDan Koren

1
Re: Listening to Chopin's Nocturnes

<47685ae3-42f3-4e32-ab51-71e142c680d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34421&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34421

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:51:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Listening to Chopin's Nocturnes
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:51 UTC

None of the complete sets are
consistently satisfactory to my
ears. One must pick individual
performances.

Except for Freire, I disagree
with MIFrost's choices.

If I were forced to pick just one
complete set, I would probably
go for Claire Huangci, with the
caveat some of them sound a
little overwrought.

https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Diary-Complete-Nocturnes/dp/B06XYS39YF

Mix and match for only $1.29
per nocturne. Quite the deal!

With a Premium YT account,
one can sample for free:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mVEZpCroqch2AnSFHQjVVl705_68m8ym8

dk

Re: Listening to Chopin's Nocturnes

<ca562a2a-3aa4-40aa-b129-81ff2d4388e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34426&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34426

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:39:32 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:39 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:

> If I were forced to pick just one
> complete set, I would probably
> go for Claire Huangci, with the
> caveat some of them sound a
> little overwrought.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Diary-Complete-Nocturnes/dp/B06XYS39YF
>
> Mix and match for only $1.29
> per nocturne. Quite the deal!
>
> With a Premium YT account,
> one can sample for free:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mVEZpCroqch2AnSFHQjVVl705_68m8ym8

I am retracting the above
recommendation for Claire
Huagnci. Not because of
how she plays, but rather
because the Stoneway
she uses has a glassy
steely treble, which I
cannot really stand
for much time.

I wish someone gave
her a Fazioli or a well
preserved Pleyel with
a Yamaha CFX action.

dk

Re: Listening to Chopin's Nocturnes

<7f5bf485-8590-4c53-9115-6fc46880075en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34428&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34428

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:31:53 -0800 (PST)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 22:31 UTC

Op dinsdag 14 december 2021 om 22:39:35 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
> On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:
> >
> > If I were forced to pick just one
> > complete set, I would probably
> > go for Claire Huangci, with the
> > caveat some of them sound a
> > little overwrought.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Diary-Complete-Nocturnes/dp/B06XYS39YF
> >
> > Mix and match for only $1.29
> > per nocturne. Quite the deal!
> >
> > With a Premium YT account,
> > one can sample for free:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mVEZpCroqch2AnSFHQjVVl705_68m8ym8
> >
> I am retracting the above
> recommendation for Claire
> Huagnci. Not because of
> how she plays, but rather
> because the Stoneway
> she uses has a glassy
> steely treble, which I
> cannot really stand
> for much time.
>
> I wish someone gave
> her a Fazioli or a well
> preserved Pleyel with
> a Yamaha CFX action.
>
> dk

The choice of instrument kept me from buying the set. The same goes for her Rachmaninoff CD. Her Bach, on the other hand, is great.

Henk

Re: Listening to Chopin's Nocturnes

<629aa9f6-e5d3-4bbe-bdb4-b13f5a54c8fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34432&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34432

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:41:30 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 04:41 UTC

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 5:31:56 PM UTC-5, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Op dinsdag 14 december 2021 om 22:39:35 UTC+1 schreef dan....@gmail.com:
> > On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 3:51:59 PM UTC-5, Dan Koren wrote:
> > >
> > > If I were forced to pick just one
> > > complete set, I would probably
> > > go for Claire Huangci, with the
> > > caveat some of them sound a
> > > little overwrought.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Diary-Complete-Nocturnes/dp/B06XYS39YF
> > >
> > > Mix and match for only $1.29
> > > per nocturne. Quite the deal!
> > >
> > > With a Premium YT account,
> > > one can sample for free:
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mVEZpCroqch2AnSFHQjVVl705_68m8ym8
> > >
> > I am retracting the above
> > recommendation for Claire
> > Huagnci. Not because of
> > how she plays, but rather
> > because the Stoneway
> > she uses has a glassy
> > steely treble, which I
> > cannot really stand
> > for much time.
> >
> > I wish someone gave
> > her a Fazioli or a well
> > preserved Pleyel with
> > a Yamaha CFX action.
>
> The choice of instrument kept me from
> buying the set. The same goes for her
> Rachmaninoff CD. Her Bach, on the
> other hand, is great.

She definitely deserves something better
than a Stoneway. OTOH she studied and
practices on Stooneways, and might not
feel comfortable with a different kind of
sound and a different kind of action.

dk