If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library? -- Lily Tomlin

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashZod
|`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashRocky Stoneberg
| |`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashVictor H.
| ||+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashVictor H.
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| |+* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| ||`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod
| || `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW-Dockery
| |`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashRocky Stoneberg
| | `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| +- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashVictor H.
| +* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod
| |`- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
| `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod
`* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashZod
 `* Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashW.Dockery
  `- Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden NashGeneral-Zod

Pages:12
PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<t4k30h$4qo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3449&group=rec.arts.poems#3449

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Subject: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:34:26 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:34 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
[...]
April golden, April cloudy,
Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<bfb5c5b0964ffb2edfb6c07f1650a928@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3450&group=rec.arts.poems#3450

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:54:45 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash
From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Zod - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:54 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
> [...]
> April golden, April cloudy,
> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

Love ole Ogden Nash....!

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<1f6ac8bd1efa45214cb7749511de2288@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=rec.arts.poems#3756

Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 20:50:16 +0000
From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Zod - Sun, 22 May 2022 20:50 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
> [...]
> April golden, April cloudy,
> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
> [...]
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

Having another read, love this one....

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<6533f290ae46c0591c4a8e45a35741a5@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3769&group=rec.arts.poems#3769

Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 16:56:51 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 24 May 2022 16:56 UTC

Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

>> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
>> [...]
>> April golden, April cloudy,
>> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

> Having another read, love this one....

Nash at his best.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<86c5ee13f9ee991ff702670b7a8443d8@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3788&group=rec.arts.poems#3788

Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 18:13:28 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 28 May 2022 18:13 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

>>> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
>>> [...]
>>> April golden, April cloudy,
>>> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

>> Having another read, love this one....

> Nash at his best.

He's pretty groovy....

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<a7bc8442316511e91bc8712405dcb4f3@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3822&group=rec.arts.poems#3822

Date: Sun, 29 May 2022 23:48:59 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 29 May 2022 23:48 UTC

Zod wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:
>>
>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

>> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
>> [...]
>> April golden, April cloudy,
>> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
>> [...]
>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

He did have his moments.

🙂

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<f58c1ff678aa0121f0eed5c0fbf6a998@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4161&group=rec.arts.poems#4161

Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:49:11 +0000
From: rockysto...@gmail.com (Rocky Stoneberg)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Rocky Stoneberg - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:49 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

>>> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
>>> [...]
>>> April golden, April cloudy,
>>> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

>> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

> He did have his moments.

> 🙂

i like his poetry quite a lots......

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<80f2de3e2e46a1d0029a5cedd2deab29@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4179&group=rec.arts.poems#4179

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 19:58:28 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 19:58 UTC

Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

George J. Dance wrote:
> On 2022-05-05 11:03 a.m., Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>> Were you asleep in the 1990s-2000s, Pendragon?
>>
>> Love it or hate it, the hip-hop and rap influence on the current poetry scene is real.
>>
>> Look it up.
>
> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

<q>

>> I learned to begin to embrace rhyme, meter and form, et cetera, in these
>> later years.

> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
> influence on your doing that.

I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
on the changes as well.....
</q>

Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
popular trend in poetry post-1980.

> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
(over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
to being seen and read by millions.

> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.

No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<bd8ad31942c96de66c59715c3d61d4fc@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4181&group=rec.arts.poems#4181

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 20:42:07 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 20:42 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> George J. Dance wrote:
>> On 2022-05-05 11:03 a.m., Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Were you asleep in the 1990s-2000s, Pendragon?
>>>
>>> Love it or hate it, the hip-hop and rap influence on the current poetry scene is real.
>>>
>>> Look it up.
>>
>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

> <q>
>>>
>>> I learned to begin to embrace rhyme, meter and form, et cetera, in these
>>> later years.

>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>> influence on your doing that.

> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
> on the changes as well.....
> </q>

> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>
>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
> to being seen and read by millions.

>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>

> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Again, I thank you for setting the record straight on this here matter.....

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<91130d8413cb366056b5031dff78f284@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4192&group=rec.arts.poems#4192

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:47:39 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:47 UTC

Victor H. wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Again, I thank you for setting the record straight on this here matter.....

Pendragon is still playing stupid about it, but he's obviously mistaken, as George Dance corrected him.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<5e2a15f90c914dc0e0d94e77dfae48ef@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4194&group=rec.arts.poems#4194

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 21:13:51 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 21:13 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>>> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

>>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>>> <q>

>>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>>> on the changes as well.....
>>> </q>

>>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.

>>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> Again, I thank you for setting the record straight on this here matter.....

> Pendragon is still playing stupid about it, but he's obviously mistaken, as George Dance corrected him.

That's just the way he is.....

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<90f84de26e120226f499429b362af8c5@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4263&group=rec.arts.poems#4263

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:34:49 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:34 UTC

Victor H. wrote:

>>> Again, I thank you for setting the record straight on this here matter.....

>> Pendragon is still playing stupid about it, but he's obviously mistaken, as George Dance corrected him.

> That's just the way he is.....

It's all here, archived, so I suppose it's time to move on to the next engagement.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<8974800e594dbe88b305793b8110ca2d@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4319&group=rec.arts.poems#4319

From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 17:25:24 +0000
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 17:25 UTC

Again, the response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> George J. Dance wrote:
>> On 2022-05-05 11:03 a.m., Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Were you asleep in the 1990s-2000s, Pendragon?
>>>
>>> Love it or hate it, the hip-hop and rap influence on the current poetry scene is real.
>>>
>>> Look it up.
>>
>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

> <q>
>>>
>>> I learned to begin to embrace rhyme, meter and form, et cetera, in these
>>> later years.

>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>> influence on your doing that.

> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
> on the changes as well.....
> </q>

> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>
>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
> to being seen and read by millions.

>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>

> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Again, lest we forget.

HTH and HAND.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<2002e89ff683eb7ec3d4bce5c280c907@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4323&group=rec.arts.poems#4323

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 19:58:36 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 19:58 UTC

W-Dockery wrote:

> Again, the response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Again, lest we forget.

> HTH and HAND.

Quite rightly....

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<99c25a983d882c7385bca19b8ccb8774@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5145&group=rec.arts.poems#5145

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 02:55:59 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 02:55 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Again, I thank you for setting the record straight on this here matter.....

Pendragon saw his error, which is why he STFU.

🙂

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<9c09ca9fa65f8d2fbf39ef740d3e49aa@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5192&group=rec.arts.poems#5192

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:21:13 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 08:21 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

>>> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

>> He did have his moments.

>> 🙂

> i like his poetry quite a lots......

A bit too much comedy for me, usually.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<ccc62b47aae321d0b24cc7ffd0c3abca@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5227&group=rec.arts.poems#5227

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:01:22 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:01 UTC

> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> George J. Dance wrote:
>> On 2022-05-05 11:03 a.m., Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Were you asleep in the 1990s-2000s, Pendragon?
>>>
>>> Love it or hate it, the hip-hop and rap influence on the current poetry scene is real.
>>>
>>> Look it up.
>>
>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

> <q>
>>>
>>> I learned to begin to embrace rhyme, meter and form, et cetera, in these
>>> later years.

>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>> influence on your doing that.

> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
> on the changes as well.....
> </q>

> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>
>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
> to being seen and read by millions.

>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>

> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Lest we forget.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<62c18309302be736a14435bd22aa7ed4@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=rec.arts.poems#5255

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:19:31 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:19 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>
>> Response from George Dance attempting to clear up Pendragon's confusion:

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Again, I thank you for setting the record straight on this here matter.....

Or at least in the direction of setting the record straight.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<d27be1626609aa3cbb03e90ea346d38b@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5282&group=rec.arts.poems#5282

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:24:28 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:24 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

>>> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
>>> [...]
>>> April golden, April cloudy,
>>> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

>> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

> He did have his moments.

> 🙂

Yep

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<420903879fe70d455d1af92115ba7da7@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5333&group=rec.arts.poems#5333

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 03:24:17 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 03:24 UTC

---------------------------
>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Again, lest we forget.

🙂

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<4088be780d7d1ec7292a527645bbdac0@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5360&group=rec.arts.poems#5360

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 21:27:23 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 21:27 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:

>>> Always Marry an April Girl, by Ogden Nash
>>> [...]
>>> April golden, April cloudy,
>>> Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
>>> [...]
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/04/always-marry-april-girl-ogden-nash.html

>> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

> He did have his moments.

> 🙂

Yep....

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<6a1e311b2d43788c3e040838add4935b@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5449&group=rec.arts.poems#5449

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:26:50 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:26 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

>>> Love ole Ogden Nash....!

Good evening, Zod, agreed.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<07cc4e7fcaf0e2ef9f478ce6516dd733@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5492&group=rec.arts.poems#5492

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 03:33:09 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 03:33 UTC

George Dance wrote:

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> George J. Dance wrote:
>> On 2022-05-05 11:03 a.m., Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Were you asleep in the 1990s-2000s, Pendragon?
>>>
>>> Love it or hate it, the hip-hop and rap influence on the current poetry scene is real.
>>>
>>> Look it up.
>>
>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

> <q>
>>>
>>> I learned to begin to embrace rhyme, meter and form, et cetera, in these
>>> later years.

>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>> influence on your doing that.

> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
> on the changes as well.....
> </q>

> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>
>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
> to being seen and read by millions.

>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>

> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

Well put, George.

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<821ad0af0abc274d7e61e0969bc48a83@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5539&group=rec.arts.poems#5539

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 20:53:01 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 20:53 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George Dance wrote:

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> We were discussing the change from traditional to modern poetry, Donkey, and the subsequent redefinition of poetry (abandonment of rhymed-metered verse).

>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>> <q>

>>> I won't claim any credit, since you were using rhymes before I got on
>>> the group. But I do think that being on aapc was probably a big
>>> influence on your doing that.

>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>> on the changes as well.....
>> </q>

>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.
>>>
>>> 1) Hip-hop and rap did not appear until long after the change had taken place.
>>> 2) Hip-hop and rap rely heavily on rhyme and meter, and would represent a popular movement to restore traditional poetry.

>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> You and your Stink are obviously unaware of both the history of modern poetry and of the history of poetry in general.
>>>

>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Well put, George.

Seconded...

Re: PPB: Always Marry an April Girl / Ogden Nash

<2307a84be4e051238b01d575860dd937@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5792&group=rec.arts.poems#5792

Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 16:16:29 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 16:16 UTC

General-Zod wrote:
> George Dance wrote:

>>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

>>> No, we'd moved on from that and were talking about the rediscovery of
>>> rhyme (beginning in the 1980s).

>>> <q>

>>> I think perhaps the [advent] of HIP HOP spoken word poetry helped bring
>>> on the changes as well.....
>>> </q>

>>> Will, of course, was talking about himself and his own discovery of
>>> rhyme. Zod was pointing out that the former didn't happen in a vacuum;
>>> Will's pesonal evolution was happening in, and reflective of, a general
>>> popular trend in poetry post-1980.

>>> Exactly what Zod was saying. The hip-hop movement didn't occur in a
>>> vacuum, though; there were other factors behind the rediscovery of
>>> rhyme. The most important, academically, was the rise of New Formalism,
>>> which was a movement of poetics as much as poetry.

>>> But the biggest influence, I'd say, was as always the internet. Suddenly
>>> (over 25 or so years, or just the blink of an eye in terms of the
>>> tradition), public domain poetry went from a few dusty books in
>>> second-hand shelves, that hardly anyone even noticed much less bought,
>>> to being seen and read by millions.

>>> No, that looks like a case of misunderstanding.

>>> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/ArTmAUO-RQw/m/PFMio5mICQAJ

> Well put... Seconded...

Good morning, my friend, agreed.