Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 23:55:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Night on Bare Mountain
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 07:55 UTC

On Sunday, October 10, 2004 at 3:41:00 PM UTC-10, Lookingglass wrote:
> Considering that it is getting close to All Hallows Eve... I thought a
> little discussion of "demonic" music might be appropriate... SO...
> Which version of NIGHT ON BARE MOUNTAIN do you prefer???
> Although I was introduced to this piece OF MUSIC when I saw the film
> FANTASIA (like many of us), which uses the Stokowski transcription, I grew
> up listening to many, many versions of the Rimsky-Korsakov arrangement... I
> realize there are those here who would argue that the original Mussorgsky
> version (?) is the only one that should be considered.
> That being said, I don't care for the original's structure... I find it a
> bit "muddled"... I do like the form of RK's arrangement... for me it is more
> dramatic... the narrative flows.
> But recently, I have begun to have a preference for the Stokowski
> transcription... I think here, Stokowski surpassed Rimsky-Korsakov... (in my
> humble opinion)... it is a monstrously grotesque story that Stokowski tells
> us here... I hear every growl and shriek and gurgle from the mountain-top in
> this arrangement... it is an orgy of instrumental inspiration in his
> orchestration...
> I only know of 3 recordings of the Stokowski transcription... one conducted
> by E Kunzel on Telarc, a new recording conducted by O Knussen on DG... but
> the one I very much like is The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra conducted by
> James Sedares (Koch 3-7344-2 H12)... an excellent recording... sound and
> performance.
> Yes...?
>
> Dave www.Shemakhan.com

(Recent Y. upload):

Repertoire: The ULTIMATE Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain

Re: Night on Bare Mountain

<efd10246-b9d0-4a5b-a6c5-a0561d242558n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34694&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34694

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 03:15:35 -0800 (PST)
From: thorny...@outlook.com (ways)
 by: ways - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:15 UTC

On Tuesday, 21 December 2021 at 07:55:24 UTC, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Sunday, October 10, 2004 at 3:41:00 PM UTC-10, Lookingglass wrote:
> > Considering that it is getting close to All Hallows Eve... I thought a
> > little discussion of "demonic" music might be appropriate... SO...
> > Which version of NIGHT ON BARE MOUNTAIN do you prefer???
> > Although I was introduced to this piece OF MUSIC when I saw the film
> > FANTASIA (like many of us), which uses the Stokowski transcription, I grew
> > up listening to many, many versions of the Rimsky-Korsakov arrangement... I
> > realize there are those here who would argue that the original Mussorgsky
> > version (?) is the only one that should be considered.
> > That being said, I don't care for the original's structure... I find it a
> > bit "muddled"... I do like the form of RK's arrangement... for me it is more
> > dramatic... the narrative flows.
> > But recently, I have begun to have a preference for the Stokowski
> > transcription... I think here, Stokowski surpassed Rimsky-Korsakov... (in my
> > humble opinion)... it is a monstrously grotesque story that Stokowski tells
> > us here... I hear every growl and shriek and gurgle from the mountain-top in
> > this arrangement... it is an orgy of instrumental inspiration in his
> > orchestration...
> > I only know of 3 recordings of the Stokowski transcription... one conducted
> > by E Kunzel on Telarc, a new recording conducted by O Knussen on DG... but
> > the one I very much like is The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra conducted by
> > James Sedares (Koch 3-7344-2 H12)... an excellent recording... sound and
> > performance.
> > Yes...?
> >
> > Dave www.Shemakhan.com
> (Recent Y. upload):
>
> Repertoire: The ULTIMATE Mussorgsky Night on Bald Mountain
try this version of the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR2P-5J-2MA