For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

SubjectAuthor
* RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
`* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
 `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
  `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
   `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
    `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
     `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
      `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
       +* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
       |+* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
       ||`- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
       |+* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
       ||+* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
       |||`* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
       ||| `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
       |||  `- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
       ||`* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
       || `- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
       |`* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
       | `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
       |  `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
       |   `- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
       `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
        `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
         `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
          `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
           +- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
           `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
            +* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
            |`* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
            | `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
            |  `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
            |   `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Andrew Clarke
            |    `- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
            `* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
             +* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?John Fowler
             |+* Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
             ||`- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Bob Harper
             |`- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Dan Koren
             +- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Frank Berger
             `- Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?Bob Harper

Pages:12
RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<a87587ab-1370-4293-be18-61ba88cc84abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34858&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34858

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:59:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:59 UTC

The Daily Telegraph in London has just published an obituary of a woman whose mother makes Zsa Zsa Gabor look like St Therese of Lisieux. Her family, among other things, employed Joseph Haydn

"Countess Bunny Esterházy, who has died aged 82, was a well-known figure in international society in the mid-1950s and in the racing world, where she had notable success in the 1970s and 1980s. She was the only daughter of Count Tamás (Thomas) Esterházy, and his wife “Etti”, Countess Wurmbrand, who had six husbands by the age of 40 and was latterly known as Mrs Arpad Plesch, a legendary figure on the turf and the only female owner to win the Derby twice.

Bunny was born in Vienna as Countess Marianne Berta Felicie Johanna Ghislaine Theodora Huberta Georgina Helene Genoveva Esterházy on December 12 1938. She should have had a glorious childhood. She was given a pet deer and her own carriage, though her father had to confiscate a dog she was given when he realised it was a wolf.

But it was difficult from the start: Bunny was hardly born when her mother consigned her to nurses and sent her to stay with friends. She was not even a year old when the Second World War intervened, but a more serious threat came from the literary femme fatale, Louise de Vilmorin, with whom her father became infatuated ...

After more attempts at finding stability, Bunny’s mother finally married Dr Arpad Plesch in 1954. He was an immensely rich Hungarian financier, with business interests in Haiti, but he was dogged by numerous sinister rumours as to his financial dealings. Etti finally became a very rich woman.. Bunny used to say of her mother that she merged her life with whichever man she was with: “If he was interested in butterflies, she was interested in butterflies.”

The Plesches and Bunny lived in considerable style in the Avenue Foch in Paris and at the Villa Leonina at Beaulieu-sur-Mer in the South of France. Plesch’s prior marital life had been as controversial as his business dealings. He had married first Mrs Ulam, and then her daughter, Miss Ulam. He had a granddaughter, Florence “Flockie” Harcourt-Smith, who was also his stepdaughter, and some suggested perhaps his daughter."

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<66bee865-d0fc-4f14-8d87-48802c826377n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34870&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34870

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:02:30 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:02 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:59:28 PM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Daily Telegraph in London has just published an obituary of a woman whose mother makes Zsa Zsa Gabor look like St Therese of Lisieux. Her family, among other things, employed Joseph Haydn
>
> "Countess Bunny Esterházy, who has died aged 82, was a well-known figure in international society in the mid-1950s and in the racing world, where she had notable success in the 1970s and 1980s. She was the only daughter of Count Tamás (Thomas) Esterházy, and his wife “Etti”, Countess Wurmbrand, who had six husbands by the age of 40 and was latterly known as Mrs Arpad Plesch, a legendary figure on the turf and the only female owner to win the Derby twice.
>
> Bunny was born in Vienna as Countess Marianne Berta Felicie Johanna Ghislaine Theodora Huberta Georgina Helene Genoveva Esterházy on December 12 1938. She should have had a glorious childhood. She was given a pet deer and her own carriage, though her father had to confiscate a dog she was given when he realised it was a wolf.
>
> But it was difficult from the start: Bunny was hardly born when her mother consigned her to nurses and sent her to stay with friends. She was not even a year old when the Second World War intervened, but a more serious threat came from the literary femme fatale, Louise de Vilmorin, with whom her father became infatuated ...
>
> After more attempts at finding stability, Bunny’s mother finally married Dr Arpad Plesch in 1954. He was an immensely rich Hungarian financier, with business interests in Haiti, but he was dogged by numerous sinister rumours as to his financial dealings. Etti finally became a very rich woman. Bunny used to say of her mother that she merged her life with whichever man she was with: “If he was interested in butterflies, she was interested in butterflies.”
>
> The Plesches and Bunny lived in considerable style in the Avenue Foch in Paris and at the Villa Leonina at Beaulieu-sur-Mer in the South of France. Plesch’s prior marital life had been as controversial as his business dealings. He had married first Mrs Ulam, and then her daughter, Miss Ulam. He had a granddaughter, Florence “Flockie” Harcourt-Smith, who was also his stepdaughter, and some suggested perhaps his daughter."
>
> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra

The favor of an OT would have been much appreciated!
The connection to Papa Haydn sounds too tenuous to
qualify this topic for r.m.c.r. -- or was he also involved
somehow in the genealogy of this marvel?

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<665c77aa-41eb-42ab-9933-358a0c40d611n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34879&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34879

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 02:27:16 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 10:27 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:02:33 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 6:59:28 PM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The Daily Telegraph in London has just published an obituary of a woman whose mother makes Zsa Zsa Gabor look like St Therese of Lisieux. Her family, among other things, employed Joseph Haydn
> >
> > "Countess Bunny Esterházy, who has died aged 82, was a well-known figure in international society in the mid-1950s and in the racing world, where she had notable success in the 1970s and 1980s. She was the only daughter of Count Tamás (Thomas) Esterházy, and his wife “Etti”, Countess Wurmbrand, who had six husbands by the age of 40 and was latterly known as Mrs Arpad Plesch, a legendary figure on the turf and the only female owner to win the Derby twice.
> >
> > Bunny was born in Vienna as Countess Marianne Berta Felicie Johanna Ghislaine Theodora Huberta Georgina Helene Genoveva Esterházy on December 12 1938. She should have had a glorious childhood. She was given a pet deer and her own carriage, though her father had to confiscate a dog she was given when he realised it was a wolf.
> >
> > But it was difficult from the start: Bunny was hardly born when her mother consigned her to nurses and sent her to stay with friends. She was not even a year old when the Second World War intervened, but a more serious threat came from the literary femme fatale, Louise de Vilmorin, with whom her father became infatuated ...
> >
> > After more attempts at finding stability, Bunny’s mother finally married Dr Arpad Plesch in 1954. He was an immensely rich Hungarian financier, with business interests in Haiti, but he was dogged by numerous sinister rumours as to his financial dealings. Etti finally became a very rich woman. Bunny used to say of her mother that she merged her life with whichever man she was with: “If he was interested in butterflies, she was interested in butterflies.”
> >
> > The Plesches and Bunny lived in considerable style in the Avenue Foch in Paris and at the Villa Leonina at Beaulieu-sur-Mer in the South of France.. Plesch’s prior marital life had been as controversial as his business dealings. He had married first Mrs Ulam, and then her daughter, Miss Ulam. He had a granddaughter, Florence “Flockie” Harcourt-Smith, who was also his stepdaughter, and some suggested perhaps his daughter.."
> >
> > Andrew Clarke
> > Canberra
> The favor of an OT would have been much appreciated!
> The connection to Papa Haydn sounds too tenuous to
> qualify this topic for r.m.c.r. -- or was he also involved
> somehow in the genealogy of this marvel?
>
> dk

Yes, there should have been an [OT] as I realised shortly after submitting the post, so apologies are due. In my own defence I can only argue that the content is hardly more OT than a lot of what gets posted here, and it's arguable that it's much more interesting ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<0d52ae15-2044-4d81-af78-81efa328caben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34886&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34886

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 03:36:11 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:36 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 5:27:18 AM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:02:33 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > The favor of an OT would have been much appreciated!
> > The connection to Papa Haydn sounds too tenuous to
> > qualify this topic for r.m.c.r. -- or was he also involved
> > somehow in the genealogy of this marvel?
>
> Yes, there should have been an [OT] as I realised shortly
> after submitting the post, so apologies are due.

No apologies due for anything. I am not complaining
about the content being OT. Just about the lack of an
appropriate tag.

> In my own defence I can only argue that the content
> is hardly more OT than a lot of what gets posted here,
> and it's arguable that it's much more interesting ...

Especially if Papa Haydn was involved in any way .....

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<fd922f74-2615-4846-9a9e-eb45d3ce5531n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34905&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34905

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:12:42 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:12 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 10:36:15 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 5:27:18 AM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 6:02:33 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > The favor of an OT would have been much appreciated!
> > > The connection to Papa Haydn sounds too tenuous to
> > > qualify this topic for r.m.c.r. -- or was he also involved
> > > somehow in the genealogy of this marvel?
> >
> > Yes, there should have been an [OT] as I realised shortly
> > after submitting the post, so apologies are due.
> No apologies due for anything. I am not complaining
> about the content being OT. Just about the lack of an
> appropriate tag.
> > In my own defence I can only argue that the content
> > is hardly more OT than a lot of what gets posted here,
> > and it's arguable that it's much more interesting ...
> Especially if Papa Haydn was involved in any way .....
>
> dk

Speaking of off-topic threads that have appeared in this group. I should mention that the presence of Bunny Esterhazy's Hungarian Jewish stepfather at such exalted gatherings suggests that the alleged anti-semitism of the British upper classes is so slight as to be invisible.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<cb177ba1-9415-47bc-be1e-450618a03c78n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34911&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34911

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:22:06 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:22 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 5:12:45 PM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 10:36:15 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Yes, there should have been an [OT] as I realised shortly
> > > after submitting the post, so apologies are due.
> >
> > No apologies due for anything. I am not complaining
> > about the content being OT. Just about the lack of an
> > appropriate tag.
> >
> > > In my own defence I can only argue that the content
> > > is hardly more OT than a lot of what gets posted here,
> > > and it's arguable that it's much more interesting ...
> > Especially if Papa Haydn was involved in any way .....
>
> Speaking of off-topic threads that have appeared in
> this group. I should mention that the presence of
> Bunny Esterhazy's Hungarian Jewish stepfather at
> such exalted gatherings suggests that the alleged
> anti-semitism of the British upper classes is so slight
> as to be invisible.

Didn't they tolerate Disraeli? Suitably sanitized of course.

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<e5dfa51d-bb9a-4a9c-a383-be11eb6af35dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34939&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34939

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:32:45 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:32 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 10:22:09 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 5:12:45 PM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > No apologies due for anything. I am not complaining
> > > about the content being OT. Just about the lack of an
> > > appropriate tag.

> > > Especially if Papa Haydn was involved in any way .....
> >
> > Speaking of off-topic threads that have appeared in
> > this group. I should mention that the presence of
> > Bunny Esterhazy's Hungarian Jewish stepfather at
> > such exalted gatherings suggests that the alleged
> > anti-semitism of the British upper classes is so slight
> > as to be invisible.
> Didn't they tolerate Disraeli? Suitably sanitized of course.
>
> dk
I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is yours, not that of the British public.

As for Arpad Plesch, I'm sure nobody knew nor cared whether he had turned away from the religion of his forefathers. Despite some behaviour that might be held odd in any religious community, such as burying a wife and then marrying her stepdaughter, he seems to have moved in high society all over western Europe. The fact that he was immensely rich - some hinted by unworthy means - may have had something to do with it.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<b65a2493-aa5b-499a-b446-f3c255b488d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34940&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34940

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 05:01:54 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:01 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 10:22:09 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Speaking of off-topic threads that have appeared in
> > > this group. I should mention that the presence of
> > > Bunny Esterhazy's Hungarian Jewish stepfather at
> > > such exalted gatherings suggests that the alleged
> > > anti-semitism of the British upper classes is so slight
> > > as to be invisible.
> >
> > Didn't they tolerate Disraeli? Suitably sanitized of course.
>
> I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's
> or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran
> Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising
> them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as
> Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is
> yours, not that of the British public.

You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
documented. They converted in order to be able to
engage in businesses that would have been off
limits to them because of the laws in force at
the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<dMWdndASL7VNC1X8nZ2dnUU7-e2dnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34944&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34944

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 11:22:39 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 16:22 UTC

On 12/26/2021 8:01 AM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Didn't they tolerate Disraeli? Suitably sanitized of course.
>>
>> I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's
>> or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran
>> Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising
>> them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as
>> Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is
>> yours, not that of the British public.
>
> You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
> and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
> documented. They converted in order to be able to
> engage in businesses that would have been off
> limits to them because of the laws in force at
> the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
>
> dk

Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything, isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition. The extent to which it is manifested depends on a lot of things, too obvious to bother to mention. To say that there was no antisemitism among British elite is ridiculous.

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<f27d6b48-4f38-4f58-abc2-c72cfc7b3823n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34948&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34948

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:08:25 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 21:08 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 3:22:48 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything, isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition. The extent to which it is manifested depends on a lot of things, too obvious to bother to mention. To say that there was no antisemitism among British elite is ridiculous.

Mendelssohn was a guest of royalty and the Rothschilds were a power in the land. Certainly the aristocracy preferred to socialise and to marry among themselves for dynastic reasons, but this generally excluded the vast majority of the UK population, not just the Jewish bits. Right at the other end of the spectrum, the British Union of Fascists in the 1930s found most of its support among the dockers, labourers and small shopkeepers of London's East End. The East End Jewish community - now largely replaced by Bangladeshis - had gone there to get away from countries where antisemitism was very real and very dangerous. Unlike Britain.

Yes, people used to tell Jewish jokes, but the best ones came from America, and especially Jewish America ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<38WdnaI5IJacllT8nZ2dnUU7-dHNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34951&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34951

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 19:38:24 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:38 UTC

On 12/26/2021 4:08 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 3:22:48 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything, isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition. The extent to which it is manifested depends on a lot of things, too obvious to bother to mention. To say that there was no antisemitism among British elite is ridiculous.
>
> Mendelssohn was a guest of royalty and the Rothschilds were a power in the land. Certainly the aristocracy preferred to socialise and to marry among themselves for dynastic reasons, but this generally excluded the vast majority of the UK population, not just the Jewish bits. Right at the other end of the spectrum, the British Union of Fascists in the 1930s found most of its support among the dockers, labourers and small shopkeepers of London's East End. The East End Jewish community - now largely replaced by Bangladeshis - had gone there to get away from countries where antisemitism was very real and very dangerous. Unlike Britain.
>
> Yes, people used to tell Jewish jokes, but the best ones came from America, and especially Jewish America ...
>
> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra

Certainly there are degrees of evil, and I don't believe preferring your children to marry within the fold is prejudice, per se. I am reminded of something I heard somewhere about the City University of New York in the 1930s and 1940s. Lots of Jewish professors; couldn't be much antisemitism, right? Students used to say, "All my best professors are Jewish," or "Boy, those Jewish professors are good," or the like. And they were. Because a Jew had to be outstanding in his field to get hired at that time and that place.

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<1405ca59-7c72-43d4-ad14-43a6801d0280n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34952&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34952

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 19:57:31 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:57 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 11:22:48 AM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 12/26/2021 8:01 AM, Dan Koren wrote:

> >> I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's
> >> or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran
> >> Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising
> >> them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as
> >> Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is
> >> yours, not that of the British public.
> >
> > You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
> > and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
> > documented. They converted in order to be able to
> > engage in businesses that would have been off
> > limits to them because of the laws in force at
> > the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
>
> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything,
> isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition.

Of course not, and I did not claim it was.

> The extent to which it is manifested
> depends on a lot of things, too obvious
> to bother to mention.

Some of their best friends were Jewish.
Or their bankers or their physicians.

> To say that there was no antisemitism
> among British elite is ridiculous.

Indeed, the British elite seems to specialize
in ridiculousness.

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<eOKdnQBZlLV1jlf8nZ2dnUU7-K2dnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34961&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34961

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 14:28:40 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 19:28 UTC

On 12/26/2021 10:57 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 11:22:48 AM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
>>> and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
>>> documented. They converted in order to be able to
>>> engage in businesses that would have been off
>>> limits to them because of the laws in force at
>>> the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
>>
>> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything,
>> isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition.
>
> Of course not, and I did not claim it was.

I was responding to Andrew's remarkable remark.

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<8602aaf4-2ca2-46c8-b55f-481d5cbf022cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34967&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34967

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 17:28:29 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 01:28 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 2:28:49 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 12/26/2021 10:57 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 11:22:48 AM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> >>
> >> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything,
> >> isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition.
> >
> > Of course not, and I did not claim it was.
> >
> I was responding to Andrew's remarkable remark.

What is so remarkable about Andrew's remark?

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<3-CdneJbnYZQElf8nZ2dnUU7-fednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34970&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34970

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 23:17:17 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:17 UTC

On 12/27/2021 8:28 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 2:28:49 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Of course not, and I did not claim it was.
>>>
>> I was responding to Andrew's remarkable remark.
>
> What is so remarkable about Andrew's remark?
>
> dk

II thought we agreed that he underestimated British elite antisemitism. Anything remark that I remark on is remarkable, by definition.

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<e20d58d1-6e0f-48e8-b7aa-8d21227cd80dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34972&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34972

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:22:45 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:22 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 11:17:25 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 12/27/2021 8:28 PM, Dan Koren wrote:

> >> I was responding to Andrew's remarkable remark.
> >
> > What is so remarkable about Andrew's remark?
>
> II thought we agreed

We had not agreed.

> that he underestimated British elite antisemitism.

All things British are so misunderstimated! ;-)

> Anything remark that I remark on is remarkable,
> by definition.

?!?

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<8af3bcf9-6ff8-43d4-af22-1bdd52e923fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34973&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34973

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:40:47 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:40 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 3:22:48 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 12/26/2021 8:01 AM, Dan Koren wrote:

> >> I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's
> >> or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran
> >> Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising
> >> them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as
> >> Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is
> >> yours, not that of the British public.
> >
> > You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
> > and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
> > documented. They converted in order to be able to
> > engage in businesses that would have been off
> > limits to them because of the laws in force at
> > the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
> >
> > dk
> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything, isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition. The extent to which it is manifested depends on a lot of things, too obvious to bother to mention. To say that there was no antisemitism among British elite is ridiculous.

Frank, it is actually extremely difficult to be an antisemite in Britain because of the extreme difficulty in actually running across Jewish people there. AIUI the most prominent Jewish community lives in North London. There used to be communities of "rag trade Jews" - their expression, not mine - in towns and cities like Manchester and Leeds and Bradford, dealing in locally produced textiles, but with the closure of the mills on both sides of the Pennines, there isn't really a rag trade there any more. Yes, in London you'd get sour remarks about pawnbrokers and moneylenders and bankers, but you get that all over the world: its historic roots lie, I believe in the religious laws about lending money at interest, Jewish and Catholic. In modern Britain I see quite a few Jewish names in journalism, and in the entertainment industry, ever a way for a poor immigrant boy from the slums to make good, both in the UK and America. I imagine it could be hard in the 19th century for a Jewish Brit to get into a gentleman's club, but then the vast majority of Brit goyim wouldn't have got in either. And I'm sure the same difficulties might have arisen in the same kind of clubs in New York, Boston and Richmond VA, or indeed Melbourne, Australia.

I have read that British Jewry is getting more and more orthodox, as more and more young men in the older communities marry non-Jewish girls, but a thriving community of large Haredi families is growing in Stamford Hill, also in London. This may or may not be taking place in the USA

Outside the short-lived British Union of Fascists, the only antisemitic comments I've read came from a gentleman of letters called T.S. Eliot, and another called Ezra Pound. And where did *they* come from?

There has certainly never been the degree of antisemitism in the UK to match that to be found long before 1933 in Central Europe or indeed France: there have been no British Dreyfuses. And never hear about Polish antisemitism or White Russian antisemitism for example. But you see, there are thousands of Americans who still identify to a large extent as Polish or Russian. And they vote.

Of course if you and Mr Piano Man have any solid evidence of specifically antisemitic measures taken by the UK elite, I'll be happy to read about them,

Zay shtark en freylich,

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<dffd4ad6-891d-42a2-a5fb-474bce1bd059n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34974&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34974

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:53:25 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:53 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 2:57:33 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

> Indeed, the British elite seems to specialize
> in ridiculousness.

Well the ridiculousness or presumed but never demonstrated antisemitism of the British elite doesn't seem to extend to Jewish musicians. Years ago, if you were a promising young American musician you'd have gone to Los Angeles or New York. These days, you're better off going to London. If there ain't nothin' shakin' in London you can easily get to Paris or Berlin or Munich.. It must beat waiting for somebody to die in the back row of the second violins in Philadelphia. It worked for Menuhin.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<a62091d6-9529-441e-a79c-3d2ce18058den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34978&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34978

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 01:47:07 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 09:47 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 11:53:27 PM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 2:57:33 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Indeed, the British elite seems to specialize
> > in ridiculousness.
>
> Well the ridiculousness or presumed but never
> demonstrated antisemitism of the British elite
> doesn't seem to extend to Jewish musicians.

Just as I said earlier, there appears to be some
attraction for Jewish doctors, bankers, and for
musicians. Not much has changed since the
days of Mendelssohn and Mahler.

dk

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<-LOdndX8pLoCqFb8nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=34982&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#34982

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 11:04:47 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 16:04 UTC

On 12/27/2021 11:40 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 3:22:48 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
>>> and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
>>> documented. They converted in order to be able to
>>> engage in businesses that would have been off
>>> limits to them because of the laws in force at
>>> the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
>>>
>>> dk
>> Also, antisemitism, or anti-anything, isn't a yes/no, on/off proposition. The extent to which it is manifested depends on a lot of things, too obvious to bother to mention. To say that there was no antisemitism among British elite is ridiculous.
>
> Frank, it is actually extremely difficult to be an antisemite in Britain because of the extreme difficulty in actually running across Jewish people there.

You don't need Jews to have antisemitism. You need Jews to have antisemitic acts. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion was (is?) actively published in Japan where there are not a whole lot of Jews.

AIUI the most prominent Jewish community lives in North London. There used to be communities of "rag trade Jews" - their expression, not mine - in towns and cities like Manchester and Leeds and Bradford, dealing in locally produced textiles, but with the closure of the mills on both sides of the Pennines, there isn't really a rag trade there any more. Yes, in London you'd get sour remarks about pawnbrokers and moneylenders and bankers, but you get that all over the world:

Of course, that IS antisemitism. I never suggested it was worse in England than elsewhere.

> its historic roots lie, I believe in the religious laws about lending money at interest, Jewish and Catholic.

IMO, the historical roots of antisemitism is much older. Oversimplified version. Communities worshipeed works and trees and such. If a guy who worshipeed trees move to a place where they worshipped rocks, people were cool with that. Abraham came along and said there is one God. Not only that, but you are sinning because of your idol worship. They didn't like him for that. Of course, antisemitism can be reinforced by circumstances, like Gentiles resenting they have to borrow from Jews, or central city residents main exposure to Jews being their landlords and shop owners.

> In modern Britain I see quite a few Jewish names in journalism, and in the entertainment industry, ever a way for a poor immigrant boy from the slums to make good, both in the UK and America.

This is zero evidence of the absence of antisemitism.

I imagine it could be hard in the 19th century for a Jewish Brit to get into a gentleman's club, but then the vast majority of Brit goyim wouldn't have got in either. And I'm sure the same difficulties might have arisen in the same kind of clubs in New York, Boston and Richmond VA, or indeed Melbourne, Australia.

> I have read that British Jewry is getting more and more orthodox, as more and more young men in the older communities marry non-Jewish girls, but a thriving community of large Haredi families is growing in >Stamford Hill, also in London. This may or may not be taking place in the USA

I am pretty familiar with Stamford Hill, by grandson's wife hails from there. There are plenty of antisemitic incidents there almost on a daily basis it seems.

I'm not sure so many Jews are becoming orthodox. Well, many are, I did. But I'm not sure it accounts for the growth of the orthodox as a share of all Jews. I think the orthodox community is growing because of its low intermarriage and insularity and large families. Non-orthodox Jews are inter-marrying and assimilating themselves out of existence. Many years ago a large Reform congregation in New York City was celebrating its 100th anniversary and wanted to invite descendants of its founding families. There were none who still identified as Jewish. One Rabbi/author I read called the Reform movement a way station out of Judaism.

> Outside the short-lived British Union of Fascists, the only antisemitic comments I've read came from a gentleman of letters called T.S. Eliot, and another called Ezra Pound. And where did *they* come from?

I suppose you think certain elements of the Left in England are only anti-Zionist and not antisemitic?

> There has certainly never been the degree of antisemitism in the UK to match that to be found long before 1933 in Central Europe or indeed France: there have been no British Dreyfuses. And never hear about Polish antisemitism or White Russian antisemitism for example. But you see, there are thousands of Americans who still identify to a large extent as Polish or Russian. And they vote.
>
> Of course if you and Mr Piano Man have any solid evidence of specifically antisemitic measures taken by the UK elite, I'll be happy to read about them,

I think then when you and I think "antisemitism" we think different things. It is not limit to government sanctions against Jews and pogroms.

Of course, there are degrees of evil. If antisemitism in England is less virulent than somewhere else, historically or today, that's good.

> Zay shtark en freylich,
>
> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<b883e753-d87f-49ec-a1f4-915ca68a5ed1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35010&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35010

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:18:13 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:18 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 12:01:57 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Didn't they tolerate Disraeli? Suitably sanitized of course.
> >
> > I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's
> > or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran
> > Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising
> > them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as
> > Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is
> > yours, not that of the British public.
> You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
> and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
> documented. They converted in order to be able to
> engage in businesses that would have been off
> limits to them because of the laws in force at
> the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
>
> dk

I don't know why Felix Mendelssohn's father converted to Lutheranism, but Isaac Disraeli was received into the Anglican Church following a dispute with his rabbi. Benjamin himself was received into that church when he was 12 years old. There was at that time a requirement that Members of Parliament should be "good Christians" but that requirement, as it applied to Jewish Britons was removed by an Act of Parliament in 1858. The requirement for students at the University of Oxford to assent to the Thirty Nine Articles was also struck out by Act of Parliament in 1854.

I must say that if the British elite were rabidly antisemitic they had a funny way of showing it.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<d5ed0952-9479-457f-9b3e-f124d6a535acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35011&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35011

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:39:14 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:39 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 3:04:57 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> [...]
> > There has certainly never been the degree of antisemitism in the UK to match that to be found long before 1933 in Central Europe or indeed France: there have been no British Dreyfuses. And never hear about Polish antisemitism or White Russian antisemitism for example. But you see, there are thousands of Americans who still identify to a large extent as Polish or Russian. And they vote.
> >
> > Of course if you and Mr Piano Man have any solid evidence of specifically antisemitic measures taken by the UK elite, I'll be happy to read about them,
> >
> I think then when you and I think "antisemitism" we think different things. It is not limit to government sanctions against Jews and pogroms.
>
> Of course, there are degrees of evil. If antisemitism in England is less virulent than somewhere else, historically or today, that's good.

The question of when anti-Zionism crosses the border into antisemitism is a vexed one, and much ink has been spilt on this issue by the conservative London press. It's further compounded by the fact that many ultra-orthodox rabbis disagree with the foundation of the Jewish state, or so I believe. I think we can accept that these "Corbynistas" do not reflect the views of the British political elite in any shape or form.

As for displays of antisemitism in Stamford Hill, the area is in the middle of Hackney, an area where poverty and crime and overcrowding are endemic, and have been since the Industrial Revolution. There is also a blue-collar Moslem community, which won't help. I was interested to read that before that time, wealthy members of London's Jewish community built themselves villas there, finally moving out as the mean streets came closer and closer. But at the moment it would not surprise me to learn that there had been violence against Jews there, especially if they were walking the streets of Hackney in long black coats, hats and the traditional ringlets. The ill-educated and unemployed - or unemployable - tend to lack sensitivity to other people's customs I'm afraid. But I'm sure these activities don't reflect the attidude of the British population, or indeed the elite if they still have one ...

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<qJGdnVd_DOjW7FH8nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35036&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35036

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:31:39 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:31 UTC

On 12/29/2021 1:18 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 12:01:57 AM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:

>>> I don't think anybody much would have considered Disraeli's
>>> or Mendelssohn's reception into the Anglican and Lutheran
>>> Churches respectively as suitably or unsuitably sanitising
>>> them. Both were known as Jewish, both were accepted as
>>> Jewish and both were idolised. The 'sanitisation' notion is
>>> yours, not that of the British public.
>> You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
>> and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
>> documented. They converted in order to be able to
>> engage in businesses that would have been off
>> limits to them because of the laws in force at
>> the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
>>
>> dk
>
> I don't know why Felix Mendelssohn's father converted to Lutheranism, but Isaac Disraeli was received into the Anglican Church following a dispute with his rabbi. Benjamin himself was received into that church when he was 12 years old. There was at that time a requirement that Members of Parliament should be "good Christians" but that requirement, as it applied to Jewish Britons was removed by an Act of Parliament in 1858. The requirement for students at the University of Oxford to assent to the Thirty Nine Articles was also struck out by Act of Parliament in 1854.
>
> I must say that if the British elite were rabidly antisemitic they had a funny way of showing it.
>
> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra

Why did you introduce the word "rabid." Has anyone said the British Elite were (collectively) "rabidly" antisemitic? Are you whitewashing "less than rabid" antisemitism?

Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<4vKdnVivaceL6FH8nZ2dnUU7-cfNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35037&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35037

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:47:49 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:47 UTC

On 12/29/2021 1:39 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Of course if you and Mr Piano Man have any solid evidence of specifically antisemitic measures taken by the UK elite, I'll be happy to read about them,
>>>
>> I think then when you and I think "antisemitism" we think different things. It is not limit to government sanctions against Jews and pogroms.
>>
>> Of course, there are degrees of evil. If antisemitism in England is less virulent than somewhere else, historically or today, that's good.
>>> Zay shtark en freylich,
>>>
>>> Andrew Clarke
>>> Canberra
>
> The question of when anti-Zionism crosses the border into antisemitism is a vexed one, and much ink has been spilt on this issue by the conservative London press.

I'm going to spill the definitive ink on the subject. In one sense there is a theoretical difference between antisemitism and anti-Zionism. In practice the vast majority of people who are anti-Zionist (in either the sense of being in principle against the existence of a Jewish state or just being exclusively focused on what is perceived as Israel's poor treatment of Palestinians to the exclusion of interest in the bad behavior of other states) are so motivated because they are antisemitic. You hear people say just because I don't think there should be a Jewish state doesn't mean I hate Jews. True, but it denies the age-old association of the Jewish people and religion with the land of Israel, so in that sense it still antisemitism, though perhaps without hatred.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?

<9bb48262-5b14-4142-978e-2a8e4945b201n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35048&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35048

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 13:43:03 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:43 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:31:47 AM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 12/29/2021 1:18 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:

> >> You are rewriting history. The circumstances of Disraeli's
> >> and Mendelssohn's parents conversions are thoroughly
> >> documented. They converted in order to be able to
> >> engage in businesses that would have been off
> >> limits to them because of the laws in force at
> >> the time. No more, no less, and nothing else.
> >>
> >> dk
> >
> > I don't know why Felix Mendelssohn's father converted to Lutheranism, but Isaac Disraeli was received into the Anglican Church following a dispute with his rabbi. Benjamin himself was received into that church when he was 12 years old. There was at that time a requirement that Members of Parliament should be "good Christians" but that requirement, as it applied to Jewish Britons was removed by an Act of Parliament in 1858. The requirement for students at the University of Oxford to assent to the Thirty Nine Articles was also struck out by Act of Parliament in 1854.
> >
> > I must say that if the British elite were rabidly antisemitic they had a funny way of showing it.
> >
> > Andrew Clarke
> > Canberra
> Why did you introduce the word "rabid." Has anyone said the British Elite were (collectively) "rabidly" antisemitic? Are you whitewashing "less than rabid" antisemitism?

No.

Meanwhile, here is part of an interesting article in the Daily Telegraph (London) about the Charedi community in South Tottenham:

"Most agree that Britain does not have enough homes. Among the most affected areas is south Tottenham, home to a thriving Orthodox Jewish community. It is also an area which provides hope for those of us campaigning for a traditionalist solution to the housing crisis. Where large families, squeezed into Victorian homes, were in need of extra capacity, their innovative solution involved extending terraced homes directly upwards within a strict visual design code.

It is a vital yet undercovered story that may well provide a solution to spiralling rents and development blocks in neighbourhoods across the country. So we at Create Streets are championing it.

While many Londoners opted to move to the suburbs to raise their family amidst the housing shortage, this was simply not a possible solution for some residents in south Tottenham. It was not just that much of the community is close and culturally linked, but also a question of Shabbat. On the sabbath, Haredi Jews may only walk to get about and may not walk more than 2,000 cubits, about one kilometre. This limits them to living within a close radius to synagogues. Finding a similar arrangement elsewhere can be difficult.

Some families responded to the capacity problem by building large, unsightly square dormer extensions, out of keeping with the existing heritage building stock. Others objected to this and suggested a better way, working collaboratively with Haringey planners, local councillors and the neighbourhood to create a strict and predictable visual design guide.

This made it easier to develop an extension, but only if it emulated the original materials and ornament used to build the neighbourhood. Homes that follow the code look as if they have always been three-storey buildings, despite having been subject to significant recent extensions. They continue bays windows upwards, weave in decorative brickwork and use original tiling. Doing it differently is of course still possible, but simply not a possible solution.

The visual design guide has been extremely popular with homeowners. I counted well over 200 uses out of about 1,000 eligible homes. Homeowners have added as many as four bedrooms and hundreds of thousands of pounds of extra value. One local councillor told me that many families reported reduced behavioural challenges now that children could have a bedroom of their own. "

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: RIP Countess Esterhazy, or, How Much Is That Bunny In The Window?