I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. -- Publilius Syrus

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntGeorge J. Dance
+* Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntZod
|+* Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntW.Dockery
||`- Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntZod
|+- Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntGeneral-Zod
|+- Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntW.Dockery
|`- Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntTerry Stomp
+- Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntZod
`- Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh HuntW-Dockery

1
PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<t4me6v$kc9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3464&group=rec.arts.poems#3464

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Subject: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:58:05 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:58 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt

There is May in books forever;
May will part from Spenser never;
May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<c688512d70d43b9e6e8edfc2acb603c1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3466&group=rec.arts.poems#3466

Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 17:56:38 +0000
Subject: Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt
From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: Zod - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:56 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt

> There is May in books forever;
> May will part from Spenser never;
> May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
> May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
> [...]

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html

Outstanding addition to the archives....

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<b210366f51acdf59c6be16b7ddce793c@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3520&group=rec.arts.poems#3520

Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 02:48:57 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 5 May 2022 02:48 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-05-01 1:56 p.m., Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt
>>
>>> There is May in books forever;
>>> May will part from Spenser never;
>>> May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
>>> May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
>>> [...]
>>
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html
>>
>> Outstanding addition to the archives....

> Yes, it really is. I stumbled onto it on Sunday -- to date I have just
> one poem for Mother's Day, planned out for May -- and I thought it was
> just what I was looking for. I wanted a short lyric, something I could
> use as a summing up, to end the month on a lyrical note after the long
> 2-part Spenser poem I'll be blogging next weekend. "May and the Poets"
> worked perfectly; and as a bonus, it begins by namechecking Spenser.

> Then I checked it with the original publication, and found it was just
> the ending of a much longer poem called "To May." But I decided not to
> mess with it, because that would not have worked as well.

> Turns out it's also Hunt's debut on the blog, too. Which is good, as he
> also brings a huge stock of poetry for me to go through. I've already
> found another Hunt poem for June.

Excellent back story, also.

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<83bcbfeb31b41f05d81a327e8bdb99cd@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3572&group=rec.arts.poems#3572

Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 20:43:08 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Sat, 7 May 2022 20:43 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-05-01 1:56 p.m., Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt
>>
>>> There is May in books forever;
>>> May will part from Spenser never;
>>> May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
>>> May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
>>> [...]
>>
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html
>>
>> Outstanding addition to the archives....

> Yes, it really is. I stumbled onto it on Sunday -- to date I have just
> one poem for Mother's Day, planned out for May -- and I thought it was
> just what I was looking for. I wanted a short lyric, something I could
> use as a summing up, to end the month on a lyrical note after the long
> 2-part Spenser poem I'll be blogging next weekend. "May and the Poets"
> worked perfectly; and as a bonus, it begins by namechecking Spenser.

> Then I checked it with the original publication, and found it was just
> the ending of a much longer poem called "To May." But I decided not to
> mess with it, because that would not have worked as well.

> Turns out it's also Hunt's debut on the blog, too. Which is good, as he
> also brings a huge stock of poetry for me to go through. I've already
> found another Hunt poem for June.

Quite interesting......!

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<7c6dda3bf2bc32b33151046be7a4825a@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3616&group=rec.arts.poems#3616

From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:10:45 +0000
 by: Zod - Tue, 10 May 2022 18:10 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> George J. Dance wrote:

>>> Outstanding addition to the archives....

>> Yes, it really is. I stumbled onto it on Sunday -- to date I have just
>> one poem for Mother's Day, planned out for May -- and I thought it was
>> just what I was looking for. I wanted a short lyric, something I could
>> use as a summing up, to end the month on a lyrical note after the long
>> 2-part Spenser poem I'll be blogging next weekend. "May and the Poets"
>> worked perfectly; and as a bonus, it begins by namechecking Spenser.

>> Then I checked it with the original publication, and found it was just
>> the ending of a much longer poem called "To May." But I decided not to
>> mess with it, because that would not have worked as well.

>> Turns out it's also Hunt's debut on the blog, too. Which is good, as he
>> also brings a huge stock of poetry for me to go through. I've already
>> found another Hunt poem for June.

> Excellent back story, also.

Agreed.....

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<5b55748224621d5691260fe75d725cb1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3641&group=rec.arts.poems#3641

From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 18:05:22 +0000
 by: Zod - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:05 UTC

NancyGene wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 7:40:28 PM UTC, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > Will Dockery, please add "back story" to terms that you misuse and do not understand. What George Dance gave was background information on why he chose the poem, not a "back story," which by the way is one word---backstory.
>> I used it correctly, Nancy Gene.
> Nemo judex in causa sua

Remember that next time YOU try to be the judge in your own cause, Nancy G... hypocrite....

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<a29f03e0980eb5d1420aa095009197d6@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3652&group=rec.arts.poems#3652

Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 10:43:51 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 14 May 2022 10:43 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-05-01 1:56 p.m., Zod wrote:
>> George J. Dance wrote:
>>>
>>> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
>>> May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt
>>
>>> There is May in books forever;
>>> May will part from Spenser never;
>>> May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
>>> May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
>>> [...]
>>
>>> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html
>>
>> Outstanding addition to the archives....

> Yes, it really is. I stumbled onto it on Sunday -- to date I have just
> one poem for Mother's Day, planned out for May -- and I thought it was
> just what I was looking for. I wanted a short lyric, something I could
> use as a summing up, to end the month on a lyrical note after the long
> 2-part Spenser poem I'll be blogging next weekend. "May and the Poets"
> worked perfectly; and as a bonus, it begins by namechecking Spenser.

> Then I checked it with the original publication, and found it was just
> the ending of a much longer poem called "To May." But I decided not to
> mess with it, because that would not have worked as well.

> Turns out it's also Hunt's debut on the blog, too. Which is good, as he
> also brings a huge stock of poetry for me to go through. I've already
> found another Hunt poem for June.

Hunt is definitely a great new addition to the archives.

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<801bf4f3-7474-49a7-9b1a-a17f4de3ad0bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3719&group=rec.arts.poems#3719

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 10:10:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: tsto...@gmail.com (Terry Stomp)
 by: Terry Stomp - Thu, 19 May 2022 17:10 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 6:21:16 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> On 2022-05-01 1:56 p.m., Zod wrote:
> > George J. Dance wrote:
> >>
> >> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> >> May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt
> >
> >> There is May in books forever;
> >> May will part from Spenser never;
> >> May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
> >> May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
> >> [...]
> >
> >> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html
> >
> > Outstanding addition to the archives....
> Yes, it really is. I stumbled onto it on Sunday -- to date I have just
> one poem for Mother's Day, planned out for May -- and I thought it was
> just what I was looking for. I wanted a short lyric, something I could
> use as a summing up, to end the month on a lyrical note after the long
> 2-part Spenser poem I'll be blogging next weekend. "May and the Poets"
> worked perfectly; and as a bonus, it begins by namechecking Spenser.
>
> Then I checked it with the original publication, and found it was just
> the ending of a much longer poem called "To May." But I decided not to
> mess with it, because that would not have worked as well.
>
> Turns out it's also Hunt's debut on the blog, too. Which is good, as he
> also brings a huge stock of poetry for me to go through. I've already
> found another Hunt poem for June.

Indeed.....

Re: PPB: May and the Poets / Leigh Hunt

<00987d05eafbc1cbf33858c91abd88d0@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3723&group=rec.arts.poems#3723

Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:14:41 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems,alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 20 May 2022 15:14 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> May and the Poets, by Leigh Hunt

> There is May in books forever;
> May will part from Spenser never;
> May’s in Milton, May’s in Prior,
> May’s in Chaucer, Thomson, Dyer
> [...]

> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/05/may-and-poets-leigh-hunt.html

Thanks again for helping keep the obscure poets and their poetry in the public eye on the internet, George.

😉