Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket. -- George Orwell

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Chopin Competition scoring

SubjectAuthor
* Chopin Competition scoringGraham
`* Re: Chopin Competition scoringAndy Evans
 +* Re: Chopin Competition scoringFrank Berger
 |`* Re: Chopin Competition scoringAndy Evans
 | +- Re: Chopin Competition scoringFrank Berger
 | `- Re: Chopin Competition scoringGraham
 `* Re: Chopin Competition scoringJohnGavin
  +- Re: Chopin Competition scoringHT
  `* Re: Chopin Competition scoringChris from Lafayette
   +- Re: Chopin Competition scoringDan Koren
   `* Re: Chopin Competition scoringJohnGavin
    +- Re: Chopin Competition scoringDan Koren
    +* Re: Chopin Competition scoringDan Koren
    |`* Re: Chopin Competition scoringJohnGavin
    | `- Re: Chopin Competition scoringDan Koren
    +- Re: Chopin Competition scoringDan Koren
    +* Re: Chopin Competition scoringHT
    |`* Re: Chopin Competition scoringJohnGavin
    | `- Re: Chopin Competition scoringFrank Berger
    `- Re: Chopin Competition scoringChris from Lafayette

1
Chopin Competition scoring

<NOIAJ.177511$VS2.159075@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35218&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35218

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Subject: Chopin Competition scoring
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:14:35 -0700
 by: Graham - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:14 UTC

https://chopin2020.pl/en/news/article/505/18th-chopin-competition---jurors'-scoring

https://tinyurl.com/2p9e6dw6

It appears that Liu led all three stages.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<8fbc4142-c008-4e7f-8a51-217563cd9e02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35225&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35225

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:14:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Chopin Competition scoring
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 00:14 UTC

I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.

I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.

I didn't like Liu as much as others seem to have done, and I have no interest in his ongoing career. I did like some of the other pianists but I've had quite enough Chopin for now.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<wrCdnQy9dqR2P078nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35228&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35228

Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:29:14 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 01:29 UTC

On 1/3/2022 7:14 PM, Andy Evans wrote:
> I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.
>
> I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.
>
> I didn't like Liu as much as others seem to have done, and I have no interest in his ongoing career. I did like some of the other pianists but I've had quite enough Chopin for now.

I assume that by "fair" you don't simply mean the results were not to your liking.

(There are people, mostly children, who upon losing a coin flip, say "That's not fair.")

So what leads you to think the judging wasn't fair? I'm not even sure what fair means. I suppose any judging decision that would have been made differently had he not known anything about the performer, including identity, gender, race, ethnicity and the like.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<a8acb56b-7a2b-400e-937a-beae133ebf8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35232&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35232

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 23:52:37 -0800 (PST)
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:52 UTC

On Tuesday, 4 January 2022 at 01:29:24 UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/3/2022 7:14 PM, Andy Evans wrote:
> > I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.
> >
> > I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.
> >
> > I didn't like Liu as much as others seem to have done, and I have no interest in his ongoing career. I did like some of the other pianists but I've had quite enough Chopin for now.
> I assume that by "fair" you don't simply mean the results were not to your liking.
>
> (There are people, mostly children, who upon losing a coin flip, say "That's not fair.")
>
> So what leads you to think the judging wasn't fair? I'm not even sure what fair means. I suppose any judging decision that would have been made differently had he not known anything about the performer, including identity, gender, race, ethnicity and the like.

I'll believe that classical music competitions are "fair" when no judge has any past or present student in the competition. This isn't the case. And we haven't even started on nationalities or how competitors look and behave onstage, outside of the music itself, in a media world. I think you could turn the question round and ask "How would you expect competitions to be unbiased when the judges have vested interests".

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<h7CdnT_bSeT92En8nZ2dnUU7-KHNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35241&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35241

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:02:23 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 13:02 UTC

On 1/4/2022 2:52 AM, Andy Evans wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 January 2022 at 01:29:24 UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
>> On 1/3/2022 7:14 PM, Andy Evans wrote:
>>> I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.
>>>
>>> I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.
>>>
>>> I didn't like Liu as much as others seem to have done, and I have no interest in his ongoing career. I did like some of the other pianists but I've had quite enough Chopin for now.
>> I assume that by "fair" you don't simply mean the results were not to your liking.
>>
>> (There are people, mostly children, who upon losing a coin flip, say "That's not fair.")
>>
>> So what leads you to think the judging wasn't fair? I'm not even sure what fair means. I suppose any judging decision that would have been made differently had he not known anything about the performer, including identity, gender, race, ethnicity and the like.
>
> I'll believe that classical music competitions are "fair" when no judge has any past or present student in the competition. This isn't the case. And we haven't even started on nationalities or how competitors look and behave onstage, outside of the music itself, in a media world. I think you could turn the question round and ask "How would you expect competitions to be unbiased when the judges have vested interests".

No easy solutions. How did the figure skating world deal with the same problem? More judges to water down the effect of bias? Perhaps the teacher, past or present, of competitors should not be able judge their students? The most obvious solutionless conflict of interest situation that drives me nuts is the media (all media, Left, Right or Looney) to sensationalize the news.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<da90701d-535a-4290-81c1-3d70f9302810n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35243&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35243

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 05:14:51 -0800 (PST)
From: dagd...@gmail.com (JohnGavin)
 by: JohnGavin - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 13:14 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 7:14:14 PM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.
>
> I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.

Another point of view. I looked at the scores that Graham provided, and they reinforced my feeling that the judges decided fairly and expertly according to their experience. Of course opinions will vary and everyone will have their favorites. One formula that I go buy is the fact that no single pianist embodies all virtues, but as one very savvy judge put it, the winner is someone who evaluates their strengths and showcases them while admitting their weaknesses, and choosing repertoire accordingly.

Bruce Liu’s greatest strength is brilliance, widely varied articulation, virtuosity and clarity, and he demonstrated those faultlessly and continuously, with a one-pointed concentration that was highly impressive.

I enjoyed quite a few of the other contestants as well, but I don’t buy into the point of view that sensitivity trumps all other virtues. Not even in Chopin. It’s a part of great playing, not all or even most.

This is why I believe that in 2005, Kate Liu failed to take first prize, and Mr. Cho won. I thought the judges did a fine job in that competition as well.

Frankly, from watching Bruce Liu’s interviews, I’m not sure he even wants a performing career. There’s no telling where any of the contestants will be in 5 years.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<d9_AJ.27505$8Q7.12839@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35247&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35247

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:59:03 -0700
 by: Graham - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 15:59 UTC

On 2022-01-04 12:52 a.m., Andy Evans wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 January 2022 at 01:29:24 UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
>> On 1/3/2022 7:14 PM, Andy Evans wrote:
>>> I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.
>>>
>>> I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.
>>>
>>> I didn't like Liu as much as others seem to have done, and I have no interest in his ongoing career. I did like some of the other pianists but I've had quite enough Chopin for now.
>> I assume that by "fair" you don't simply mean the results were not to your liking.
>>
>> (There are people, mostly children, who upon losing a coin flip, say "That's not fair.")
>>
>> So what leads you to think the judging wasn't fair? I'm not even sure what fair means. I suppose any judging decision that would have been made differently had he not known anything about the performer, including identity, gender, race, ethnicity and the like.
>
> I'll believe that classical music competitions are "fair" when no judge has any past or present student in the competition. This isn't the case. And we haven't even started on nationalities or how competitors look and behave onstage, outside of the music itself, in a media world. I think you could turn the question round and ask "How would you expect competitions to be unbiased when the judges have vested interests".

In an early Cliburn competition, the two European judges threatened to
resign when the chairman of the jury wanted to give first prize to some
local lad instead of Lupu.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<1abf8d10-5bcc-451d-a9e6-6b34b014b99fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35248&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35248

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 08:01:00 -0800 (PST)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:01 UTC

Op dinsdag 4 januari 2022 om 14:14:54 UTC+1 schreef JohnGavin:
> On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 7:14:14 PM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> > I was pretty angry and disillusioned by the judging of this Chopin competition.
> >
> > I just don't believe the judging was completely fair, and I prefer to put the whole thing behind me. I watched a lot of the competition up until the last stages when I simply gave up.
> >
> Another point of view. I looked at the scores that Graham provided, and they reinforced my feeling that the judges decided fairly and expertly according to their experience. Of course opinions will vary and everyone will have their favorites. One formula that I go buy is the fact that no single pianist embodies all virtues, but as one very savvy judge put it, the winner is someone who evaluates their strengths and showcases them while admitting their weaknesses, and choosing repertoire accordingly.

I took another look at the Stage III score. Teachers did not grade students.. Anyone with a positive total (> 50) on "yes or no to the next round" became a finalist.

Overview (first number: average score on yes/no, second number: average number of points).

Lee 0.53 20.20
Rao 0,56 20,22
Amellini 0,56 20,55
Pacholec 0,64 20,43
Bui 0,67 21,31
Garcia 0,69 21,09
Sorita 0,80 21,57
Kobayashi 0,81 22,36
Gevorgyan 0,88 21,40
Gadjiev 0,88 21,75
Kuszlik 0,93 22,00
Liu 1.00 23.22

Some judges disagreed more often with the majority on whether someone should go through to the next round yes or no. > 7/22 times: Dang, Ebi (!!), Giusiano, Goerner and Lima.

Others differed less often. < 5/22 times: Sa Chen, Kenner, Olejniczak, Paleczny (!!!) and Poblocka.

Striking is the contrast between Ebi (12) and Paleczny (2).

Henk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<100edcd4-fda3-49f2-9215-9936dee1dc7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35268&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35268

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 14:51:12 -0800 (PST)
From: CSalo...@operamail.com (Chris from Lafayette)
 by: Chris from Lafayette - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 22:51 UTC

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:14:54 AM UTC-8, JohnGavin wrote:

> This is why I believe that in 2005, Kate Liu failed to take first prize, and Mr. Cho won. I thought the judges did a fine job in that competition as well. . .

Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko Ebi. Totally outrageous!

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<45355cfc-93f8-4365-b330-1e15ff91d877n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35282&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35282

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 22:45:11 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 06:45 UTC

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-5, Chris from Lafayette wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:14:54 AM UTC-8, JohnGavin wrote:
>
> > This is why I believe that in 2005, Kate Liu

2015?

> > failed to take first prize, and Mr. Cho won.
> > I thought the judges did a fine job in that
> > competition as well. . .
>
> Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal
> that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and
> it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her
> shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko
> Ebi. Totally outrageous!

IMHO neither Kate Liu nor Rabbit Cho were first
proze material -- Ebi or no Ebi. Second prizes ex
aequo for both would have been more reasonable.

dk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<48fb497a-3d63-4cab-8a5a-aa1ea1b8feffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35289&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35289

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:25:13 -0800 (PST)
From: dagd...@gmail.com (JohnGavin)
 by: JohnGavin - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:25 UTC

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-5, Chris from Lafayette wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:14:54 AM UTC-8, JohnGavin wrote:
>
> > This is why I believe that in 2005, Kate Liu failed to take first prize, and Mr. Cho won. I thought the judges did a fine job in that competition as well. . .
>
> Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko Ebi. Totally outrageous!

Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.

It’s funny how far some people will go to justify their favs.
You could always enjoy Ms. Liu’s many recordings.

Now let’s return to planet earth 🌍…….

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<0c98e1b3-8c6b-4bef-85d8-928e6490f7a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35290&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35290

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:57:46 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:57 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:25:15 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-5, Chris from Lafayette wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:14:54 AM UTC-8, JohnGavin wrote:
> >
> > > This is why I believe that in 2005, Kate Liu failed to take first prize, and Mr. Cho won. I thought the judges did a fine job in that competition as well. . .
> >
> > Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko Ebi. Totally outrageous!
> Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
>
> It’s funny how far some people will go to justify their favs.
> You could always enjoy Ms. Liu’s many recordings.
>
> Now let’s return to planet earth 🌍…….

..... or planet sea ...

https://thejapanesebar.com/food/ebi-nigiri-sushi-sashimi/

dk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<3d0b96a6-617d-4db2-b0ba-a642c73c305dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35291&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35291

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 05:05:32 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:05 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:25:15 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:

> Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fysaACgWqM

dk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<37f07be2-c55f-4029-87b6-ecc3259d9579n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35292&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35292

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 05:13:33 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:13 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:25:15 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:

> Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.

Neither knows anything about piano playing.
Just listen to the horrible sound and to the
countless wrong notes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lXDobPjI8

dk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<3ecde91f-6b0b-40e1-813e-83c678a8f296n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35297&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35297

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 07:00:13 -0800 (PST)
From: dagd...@gmail.com (JohnGavin)
 by: JohnGavin - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 15:00 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 8:05:34 AM UTC-5, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:25:15 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> >
> > Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> > And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fysaACgWqM
>
> dk

Show me a note-perfect recording of the complete Chopin Etudes and I’ll show you a prolific splicing and editing engineer!

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<43ea8dde-b3e6-4649-bcc2-2afbfde13059n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35300&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35300

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 09:02:18 -0800 (PST)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 17:02 UTC

Op woensdag 5 januari 2022 om 13:25:15 UTC+1 schreef JohnGavin:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-5, Chris from Lafayette wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:14:54 AM UTC-8, JohnGavin wrote:
> >
> > > This is why I believe that in 2005, Kate Liu failed to take first prize, and Mr. Cho won. I thought the judges did a fine job in that competition as well. . .
> >
> > Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko Ebi. Totally outrageous!
> Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
>
> It’s funny how far some people will go to justify their favs.
> You could always enjoy Ms. Liu’s many recordings.
>
> Now let’s return to planet earth 🌍…….

Argerich has/had a few not so very talented protégées and Ebi wanted to see Wiercinski, Gagliano, Sumino, Shindo, and Alexiewicz in the finals. She didn't like Rao, Bui, Pacholec, Sorita, and Gevorgyan. Even their tastes are strictly their own.

BTW, I loved Kate Liu at least as well as Cho and Bruce Liu.

Henk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<408129a3-9bc0-4c83-8b8c-f5df052b65dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35302&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35302

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 09:28:53 -0800 (PST)
From: dagd...@gmail.com (JohnGavin)
 by: JohnGavin - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 17:28 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 12:02:21 PM UTC-5, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Op woensdag 5 januari 2022 om 13:25:15 UTC+1 schreef JohnGavin:

> > > Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko Ebi. Totally outrageous!
> > Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> > And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
> >
> > It’s funny how far some people will go to justify their favs.
> > You could always enjoy Ms. Liu’s many recordings.
> >
> > Now let’s return to planet earth 🌍……..
> Argerich has/had a few not so very talented protégées and Ebi wanted to see Wiercinski, Gagliano, Sumino, Shindo, and Alexiewicz in the finals. She didn't like Rao, Bui, Pacholec, Sorita, and Gevorgyan. Even their tastes are strictly their own.
>
> BTW, I loved Kate Liu at least as well as Cho and Bruce Liu.
>
> Henk

I liked Kate Liu in the 2015 competition, but as the days proceeded, began to feel that her approach was too much the same piece after piece. I remember writing here at the time that she deserved 2nd place. I can agree with Dan that if Mr. Cho and Kate Liu had received 2nd prizes with no first prize awarded, it would have been fair, although I gave the edge to Mr. Cho.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<noqdnY9mcedxdEj8nZ2dnUU7-WGdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35304&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35304

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:56:43 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 18:56 UTC

On 1/5/2022 12:28 PM, JohnGavin wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 12:02:21 PM UTC-5, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:

>>> Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
>>> And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
>>>
>>> It’s funny how far some people will go to justify their favs.
>>> You could always enjoy Ms. Liu’s many recordings.
>>>
>>> Now let’s return to planet earth 🌍…….
>> Argerich has/had a few not so very talented protégées and Ebi wanted to see Wiercinski, Gagliano, Sumino, Shindo, and Alexiewicz in the finals. She didn't like Rao, Bui, Pacholec, Sorita, and Gevorgyan. Even their tastes are strictly their own.
>>
>> BTW, I loved Kate Liu at least as well as Cho and Bruce Liu.
>>
>> Henk
>
> I liked Kate Liu in the 2015 competition, but as the days proceeded, began to feel that her approach was too much the same piece after piece. I remember writing here at the time that she deserved 2nd place. I can agree with Dan that if Mr. Cho and Kate Liu had received 2nd prizes with no first prize awarded, it would have been fair,

Why would a different outcome be unfair? Wrong (in somebody's opinion) doesn't mean unfair. Also people forget that just because there may be a conflict of interest doesn't mean the judge acted on that interest.

although I gave the edge to Mr. Cho.

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<dc91041f-7060-4c41-b925-6e375f188df9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35305&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35305

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 11:31:50 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 19:31 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 10:00:16 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 8:05:34 AM UTC-5, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:25:15 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> > > And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fysaACgWqM
>
> Show me a note-perfect recording of the complete
> Chopin Etudes and I’ll show you a prolific splicing
> and editing engineer!

I can show you Juana Zayas! ;-)

dk

Re: Chopin Competition scoring

<3e9f6d31-3918-466a-8836-3aba7a5dcd89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35310&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35310

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:15:36 -0800 (PST)
From: CSalo...@operamail.com (Chris from Lafayette)
 by: Chris from Lafayette - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 20:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 4:25:15 AM UTC-8, JohnGavin wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-5, Chris from Lafayette wrote:
> > Nope! That was a complete and utter scandal that Kate Liu was not awarded first prize - and it was due entirely to Martha Argerich and her shadow stenographer among the judges, Akiko Ebi. Totally outrageous!
> Sure. What does that Argerich lady know about piano playing anyway?
> And I’m sure Akiko Ebi lived in mortal fear of crossing her commander.
>
> It’s funny how far some people will go to justify their favs.
> You could always enjoy Ms. Liu’s many recordings.
>
> Now let’s return to planet earth 🌍…….

Hey - I love Martha, but she was off in the deep end during that competition!