A businessman is a hybrid of a dancer and a calculator. -- Paul Valery

arts / rec.music.beatles / The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

SubjectAuthor
* The Judge In the Lennon-Levy LawsuitNorbert K
`* Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy LawsuitPamela Brown
 `* Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy LawsuitNorbert K
  `* Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy LawsuitPamela Brown
   `- Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy LawsuitNorbert K

1
The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

<5167eec2-33c1-40a6-bba9-0f53c27aab2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=rec.music.beatles#3568

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 04:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:50 UTC

So, Lennon's Beatles song "Come Together" refers to Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" in a couple of lines. Morris Levy, who controlled the Berry song, accused Lennon of plagiarism. Rather than fighting that accusation (as Lennon's lawyer Harold Seider intended to do), Lennon promised Levy that he would include three of the songs he (Levy) owned the rights to on his next album. However, Phil Spector stole these recordings and made himself scarce. Lennon released Walls & Bridges, which did *not* include three of Levy's songs. Levy became angry, and to placate him Lennon gave him rough mixes of songs he had recorded for his planned collection of his "Rock'N'Roll" oldies collection. Levy released these unpolished recordings as "Roots" -- and Lennon sued Levy, for, among other things, damage to his reputation.

According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The judge scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"

Finally, Griesn awarded Lennon $45,000 for damages to his reputation. According to Dave Marsh, Griesn made the following statement:

"I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."

-- quoted from Marsh's 1976 article "Sue Me, Sue You Blues"

Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

<d914271b-6e5c-4783-8962-30e10bcea6a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3993&group=rec.music.beatles#3993

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 10:49:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit
From: pamelaj...@gmail.com (Pamela Brown)
 by: Pamela Brown - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 18:49 UTC

On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 6:50:24 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> So, Lennon's Beatles song "Come Together" refers to Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" in a couple of lines. Morris Levy, who controlled the Berry song, accused Lennon of plagiarism. Rather than fighting that accusation (as Lennon's lawyer Harold Seider intended to do), Lennon promised Levy that he would include three of the songs he (Levy) owned the rights to on his next album. However, Phil Spector stole these recordings and made himself scarce. Lennon released Walls & Bridges, which did *not* include three of Levy's songs. Levy became angry, and to placate him Lennon gave him rough mixes of songs he had recorded for his planned collection of his "Rock'N'Roll" oldies collection. Levy released these unpolished recordings as "Roots" -- and Lennon sued Levy, for, among other things, damage to his reputation.
>
> According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The judge scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"
>
> Finally, Griesn awarded Lennon $45,000 for damages to his reputation. According to Dave Marsh, Griesn made the following statement:
>
> "I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."
>
> -- quoted from Marsh's 1976 article "Sue Me, Sue You Blues"
For those who are interested in John's profoundly detailed description of his production process, I recommend this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Lennon-Mobster-Lawyer-Untold-Story/dp/1942531427

Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

<d25d7fb9-6ff2-4539-a897-3fa6ba9d5c8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3994&group=rec.music.beatles#3994

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 11:15:30 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:15 UTC

On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 10:49:54 AM UTC-8, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 6:50:24 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > So, Lennon's Beatles song "Come Together" refers to Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" in a couple of lines. Morris Levy, who controlled the Berry song, accused Lennon of plagiarism. Rather than fighting that accusation (as Lennon's lawyer Harold Seider intended to do), Lennon promised Levy that he would include three of the songs he (Levy) owned the rights to on his next album. However, Phil Spector stole these recordings and made himself scarce. Lennon released Walls & Bridges, which did *not* include three of Levy's songs. Levy became angry, and to placate him Lennon gave him rough mixes of songs he had recorded for his planned collection of his "Rock'N'Roll" oldies collection. Levy released these unpolished recordings as "Roots" -- and Lennon sued Levy, for, among other things, damage to his reputation.
> >
> > According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The judge scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"
> >
> > Finally, Griesn awarded Lennon $45,000 for damages to his reputation. According to Dave Marsh, Griesn made the following statement:
> >
> > "I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."
> >
> > -- quoted from Marsh's 1976 article "Sue Me, Sue You Blues"
> For those who are interested in John's profoundly detailed description of his production process, I recommend this book:
> https://www.amazon.com/Lennon-Mobster-Lawyer-Untold-Story/dp/1942531427

Sounds very interesting. If I understand the summary correctly, this book is *by* the attorney who represented Lennon in this lawsuit. Do you have the book, Pamela?

Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

<aeff78bb-678c-4e04-ada7-29138009d1b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3995&group=rec.music.beatles#3995

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 12:38:27 -0800 (PST)
From: pamelaj...@gmail.com (Pamela Brown)
 by: Pamela Brown - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:38 UTC

On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 1:15:32 PM UTC-6, Norbert K wrote:
> On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 10:49:54 AM UTC-8, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 6:50:24 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > > So, Lennon's Beatles song "Come Together" refers to Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" in a couple of lines. Morris Levy, who controlled the Berry song, accused Lennon of plagiarism. Rather than fighting that accusation (as Lennon's lawyer Harold Seider intended to do), Lennon promised Levy that he would include three of the songs he (Levy) owned the rights to on his next album. However, Phil Spector stole these recordings and made himself scarce. Lennon released Walls & Bridges, which did *not* include three of Levy's songs. Levy became angry, and to placate him Lennon gave him rough mixes of songs he had recorded for his planned collection of his "Rock'N'Roll" oldies collection. Levy released these unpolished recordings as "Roots" -- and Lennon sued Levy, for, among other things, damage to his reputation.
> > >
> > > According to journalist Dave Marsh, Judge Griesn "interrogated Lennon for hours about the minutiae of record-making and spent several days just listening to excerpts from each of Lennon's solo albums, including those not involved in the suit. The judge scanned the lyrics, listened to a verse or two, , and said, 'That's pretty good. Let's hear the next one.'"
> > >
> > > Finally, Griesn awarded Lennon $45,000 for damages to his reputation. According to Dave Marsh, Griesn made the following statement:
> > >
> > > "I am convinced of the fact that Lennon has a career whose balance is more delicate than the careers of other artists. Lennon's product tends to be more intellectual than that of other artists. Lennon's reputation and standing are a delicate matter and any unlawful interference with Lennon in the way that Levy and the Roots album accomplished must be taken seriously."
> > >
> > > -- quoted from Marsh's 1976 article "Sue Me, Sue You Blues"
> > For those who are interested in John's profoundly detailed description of his production process, I recommend this book:
> > https://www.amazon.com/Lennon-Mobster-Lawyer-Untold-Story/dp/1942531427
> Sounds very interesting. If I understand the summary correctly, this book is *by* the attorney who represented Lennon in this lawsuit. Do you have the book, Pamela?
I do. John's deposition is extremely detailed. I feel I have an inside view to how his process works. As a result, I am even more in awe of him than I was before...

Re: The Judge In the Lennon-Levy Lawsuit

<fd76cb75-d331-43bf-962f-78babb34c5d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3996&group=rec.music.beatles#3996

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 13:07:35 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:07 UTC

On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 12:38:29 PM UTC-8, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 1:15:32 PM UTC-6, Norbert K wrote:

> > > For those who are interested in John's profoundly detailed description of his production process, I recommend this book:
> > > https://www.amazon.com/Lennon-Mobster-Lawyer-Untold-Story/dp/1942531427
> > Sounds very interesting. If I understand the summary correctly, this book is *by* the attorney who represented Lennon in this lawsuit. Do you have the book, Pamela?
> I do. John's deposition is extremely detailed. I feel I have an inside view to how his process works. As a result, I am even more in awe of him than I was before...

I'll look for it!