We are so fond of each other because our ailments are the same. -- Jonathan Swift

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: PPB: Silk Diamond / George Sulzbach

SubjectAuthor
* PPB: Silk Diamond / George SulzbachGeorge J. Dance
+- Re: PPB: Silk Diamond / George SulzbachGeneral Zod
`- Re: PPB: Silk Diamond / George SulzbachGeneral Zod

1
PPB: Silk Diamond / George Sulzbach

<1f45d772-a61b-4347-a2bd-111c0a744524n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2532&group=rec.arts.poems#2532

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PPB: Silk Diamond / George Sulzbach
From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:09 UTC

Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Silk Diamond, by George Sulzbach

Silk diamond
September golden bullet
The leather horse
Rider
With bad news.
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2021/09/silk-diamond-george-sulzbach.html

Re: PPB: Silk Diamond / George Sulzbach

<8be6c8c6-a474-40da-a4d4-9e837e0ee4dfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=2533&group=rec.arts.poems#2533

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PPB: Silk Diamond / George Sulzbach
From: generalz...@gmail.com (General Zod)
 by: General Zod - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:23 UTC

On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 5:09:49 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
> Silk Diamond, by George Sulzbach
>
> Silk diamond
> September golden bullet
> The leather horse
> Rider
> With bad news.
> [...]
>
> https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2021/09/silk-diamond-george-sulzbach.html

I thank...

Re: PPB: Silk Diamond / George Sulzbach

<da0e4153-7b08-489f-8e94-a208ad03a3c4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3573&group=rec.arts.poems#3573

Newsgroups: rec.arts.poems
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 13:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: generalz...@gmail.com (General Zod)
 by: General Zod - Sat, 7 May 2022 20:53 UTC

On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 8:50:05 AM UTC-4, george...@yahoo.ca wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > It's very much in the Beat (or post-Beat) genre, of disjointed, swirling, "fragmented" images that so many people were writing (and so many were parodying) in the '70s and '80s, when I first got interested in poetry. As such, it fits with the selection that comes before it (today's), which is by a recognized Beat (but very light-hearted).
> > >
> > > Post-Beat poetry is very much written in what Northrop Frye calls the second stage of a lyric poet's evolution, the 'private language' phase; so I've got to admit that I have no idea what story and theme you intend; I had to read the poem myself and make up my own. The first phrase that struck me and I had to interpret was "September golden bullet": I imagined a single yellow leaf blowing by in the wind, the first sign of the end of summer and the coming of winter. That gave me a story: because winter's coming on, the speaker has to leave his lady (whom he calls "Silk Diamond" - your "Picture of the Lady" reinforces that idea), because he has to "cross the pass" before winter.
> > >
> > > He has to leave her and cross the pass because of the "bad news"; there is a "desperado / With a taste for murder" loose in the land. That gave me two interpretations. On the first, he has to leave her to go fight against the
> > > desperado; which reminded me of Richard Lovelace's "To Lucasta, Going to the Wars." On the second interpretation, "crossing the path" was an allegory, for dying: he's leaving her by dying, and the desperado is simply Death itself.
> > >
> > > That last interpretation made it a great lead into Wilcox's poem about the "September of her Life," her good days being over and her death in front of her. It fit, in a way that no other poem did fit.
> > >
> > > As I say, I could have completely misunderstood your poem; that's a hazard of "private language" poetry. But most of your poetry is "private language". Which brings me to my last reason for including it. It is representative of your work; and while you already have two poems on the blog, neither are representative: "Expecting Inspiration" was in a whole different vein, which is what attracted me to it initially. And "Dandelions" was (1) specifically written for a poetry challenge, ie not a topic you chose, and (2) changed by an editor into a format that owes more to Stevens than to Sulzbach ("Four ways of looking at dandelions"). Adding SD gives a fairer picture of your work.
>
> > Someone challenged my judgement last night,
> > and it might have caused a huge family fight
> > had I not simply said, "Alright!
> > You win! I'm in no mood to write!"
> >
> > I lost the argument. I'm told
> > that happens more as we grow old,
> > so without words, our truths unfold.
> > Silence is worth its weight in gold.
> Very nice, even if off-topic. Definitely a keeper for your blog and your own book (should you decide to do one).
> I'd encourage you to post it in it's own thread, where I'd like to say more.

Hi and THX again.....