arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / How to pronounce Leibowirz

SubjectAuthor
* How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
+* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzDan Koren
`* Re: How to pronounce Leibowirzraymond....@gmail.com
 `* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
  `* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzAndrew Clarke
   +* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
   |+* Re: How to pronounce Leibowirzraymond....@gmail.com
   ||`- Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
   |`* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzAndrew Clarke
   | +* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
   | |`* Re: How to pronounce Leibowirznumber_six
   | | `* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
   | |  `- Re: How to pronounce Leibowirznumber_six
   | +- Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
   | `* Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzBob Harper
   |  `- Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzFrank Berger
   `- Re: How to pronounce LeibowirzDan Koren

Pages:12
How to pronounce Leibowirz

<YeidnYcqCpckpHr8nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35850&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35850

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:05:45 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
Subject: How to pronounce Leibowirz
 by: Frank Berger - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:05 UTC

I heard a radio announcer pronounce (Rene) Leibowitz as Libe-owitz, a la Leonard Berstine. I always think of these names as with a long e sound. Bernsteen and Leebowoitz, simply because I've know people who pronounce the "ei" in their names that way.

(I understand the correct way to pronounce a person's name is as he does).

Anyway, Wikopedia seems to think (Rene) Leibowitz is pronounced with a short e as in Lebowitz.

What is correct? And how do we know?

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<18fbf15a-eb40-4548-846b-a1c4c2dd13c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35854&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35854

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:39:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:39 UTC

On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 2:05:54 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
> I heard a radio announcer pronounce (René)
> Leibowitz as Libe-owitz, a la Leonard Berstine.
> I always think of these names as with a long e
> sound. Bernsteen and Leebowoitz, simply because
> I've know people who pronounce the "ei" in their
> names that way.
>
> (I understand the correct way to pronounce
> a person's name is as he does).

Unfortunately, René is no longer
able to provide guidance.

> Anyway, Wikipedia seems to think
> (René) Leibowitz is pronounced
> with a short e as in Lebowitz.
>
> What is correct? And how do we know?

We know because we speak French.

Follow the French pronounciation:
René Leibowitz (French: [ʁəne lɛbɔwits].

The Wikipedia is correct. It is a short
e ("ɛ"), not a long e. Give the French
their due.

dk

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<caydnYleQpcqx3r8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35857&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35857

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:26:31 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:26 UTC

On 1/18/2022 6:39 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 2:05:54 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
>> I heard a radio announcer pronounce (René)
>> Leibowitz as Libe-owitz, a la Leonard Berstine.
>> I always think of these names as with a long e
>> sound. Bernsteen and Leebowoitz, simply because
>> I've know people who pronounce the "ei" in their
>> names that way.
>>
>> (I understand the correct way to pronounce
>> a person's name is as he does).
>
> Unfortunately, René is no longer
> able to provide guidance.
>
>> Anyway, Wikipedia seems to think
>> (René) Leibowitz is pronounced
>> with a short e as in Lebowitz.
>>
>> What is correct? And how do we know?
>
> We know because we speak French.
>
> Follow the French pronounciation:
> René Leibowitz (French: [ʁəne lɛbɔwits].
>
> The Wikipedia is correct. It is a short
> e ("ɛ"), not a long e. Give the French
> their due.
>
> dk

The Leibowitz family was Polish, moving to France when René (yay, I made an accent aigu). was 13. Perhaps he pronounced his own name with a Polish accent. Not sure why you say a short e is the "correct" way to pronounce the name in French. Researching the name produced conflicting explanations. One source says the "Leib" part comes from German for baker, so Leibowutz means baker"s son. Other sources say Leib is from the Hebrew for heart or love and another from the Yiddish for Lion.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<41516442-45ef-4b82-a95a-39de82517768n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35860&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35860

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:36:14 -0800 (PST)
From: raymond....@gmail.com (raymond....@gmail.com)
 by: raymond....@gmail.co - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 01:36 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 09:05:54 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> I heard a radio announcer pronounce (Rene) Leibowitz as Libe-owitz, a la Leonard Berstine. I always think of these names as with a long e sound. Bernsteen and Leebowoitz, simply because I've know people who pronounce the "ei" in their names that way.
>
> (I understand the correct way to pronounce a person's name is as he does).
>
> Anyway, Wikopedia seems to think (Rene) Leibowitz is pronounced with a short e as in Lebowitz.
>
> What is correct? And how do we know?

From my knowledge of German, quite a phonetic language, "ei" is normally pronounced as in "stine", rather than "steen". Bernstein I always pronounce "Bernstine".

Ray Hall, Taree

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<VKadnUK9B5Xl8Hr8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35861&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35861

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:46:32 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 01:46 UTC

On 1/18/2022 8:36 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 09:05:54 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
>> I heard a radio announcer pronounce (Rene) Leibowitz as Libe-owitz, a la Leonard Berstine. I always think of these names as with a long e sound. Bernsteen and Leebowoitz, simply because I've know people who pronounce the "ei" in their names that way.
>>
>> (I understand the correct way to pronounce a person's name is as he does).
>>
>> Anyway, Wikopedia seems to think (Rene) Leibowitz is pronounced with a short e as in Lebowitz.
>>
>> What is correct? And how do we know?
>
> From my knowledge of German, quite a phonetic language, "ei" is normally pronounced as in "stine", rather than "steen". Bernstein I always pronounce "Bernstine".
>
> Ray Hall, Taree

Every "Bernstein" I've known (quite a few, actually) pronounced it Bernsteen. I always figured Leonard was just trying to be different or fancy or something. Of course, it could be that the family always pronounced it Bernstine. I thought in German it would be pronounced Bernshtine. If so, why would practically all Bernstein families in the U.S. pronounce it Bernsteen? As i said before the correct pronounciation for a name is the way the family pronounces it. When I asked for the correct pronounciation of Leibowitz, I was simply concerned with how he pronounced it.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<a7517120-bdd0-4dec-b445-87163ebf635dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35863&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35863

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:35:17 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 03:35 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 12:46:40 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

> Every "Bernstein" I've known (quite a few, actually) pronounced it Bernsteen. I always figured Leonard was just trying to be different or fancy or something. Of course, it could be that the family always pronounced it Bernstine. I thought in German it would be pronounced Bernshtine. If so, why would practically all Bernstein families in the U.S. pronounce it Bernsteen? As i said before the correct pronounciation for a name is the way the family pronounces it. When I asked for the correct pronounciation of Leibowitz, I was simply concerned with how he pronounced it.

Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<DaudnddIw8dPEHr8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35864&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35864

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:04:34 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 04:04 UTC

On 1/18/2022 10:35 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 12:46:40 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Every "Bernstein" I've known (quite a few, actually) pronounced it Bernsteen. I always figured Leonard was just trying to be different or fancy or something. Of course, it could be that the family always pronounced it Bernstine. I thought in German it would be pronounced Bernshtine. If so, why would practically all Bernstein families in the U.S. pronounce it Bernsteen? As i said before the correct pronounciation for a name is the way the family pronounces it. When I asked for the correct pronounciation of Leibowitz, I was simply concerned with how he pronounced it.
>
> Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.
>
> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra

Does Bernsteen sounds more American than Bernstine? I'm asking an Aussie. Most Jewish immigrants came to the U.S. before WW I, so why would they even be afraid of German sounding names? Unless they only started changing the pronunciation during or after WW I. OTOH, I don't know why my own family changed the family name from Begun to Berger around 1930.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<8127cf97-5cf8-4281-992c-bb2b342ea8a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35867&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35867

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:07:00 -0800 (PST)
From: raymond....@gmail.com (raymond....@gmail.com)
 by: raymond....@gmail.co - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 05:07 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 15:04:42 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 10:35 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 12:46:40 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> >
> >> Every "Bernstein" I've known (quite a few, actually) pronounced it Bernsteen. I always figured Leonard was just trying to be different or fancy or something. Of course, it could be that the family always pronounced it Bernstine. I thought in German it would be pronounced Bernshtine. If so, why would practically all Bernstein families in the U.S. pronounce it Bernsteen? As i said before the correct pronounciation for a name is the way the family pronounces it. When I asked for the correct pronounciation of Leibowitz, I was simply concerned with how he pronounced it.
> >
> > Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.
> >
> > Andrew Clarke
> > Canberra
> Does Bernsteen sounds more American than Bernstine? I'm asking an Aussie. Most Jewish immigrants came to the U.S. before WW I, so why would they even be afraid of German sounding names? Unless they only started changing the pronunciation during or after WW I. OTOH, I don't know why my own family changed the family name from Begun to Berger around 1930.

Grammatically, BernstEYEne is correct. Of that I am absolutely sure. However, outside of grammatical correctness it is obviously left to the idiosyncrancies of local dialects where ever that may be. StEEn is easier to say btw..

There is a widely spread story that goes as follows. Lenny once met the wife of the owner of Steinway, and the following was heard, ""Oh Mr. BernSTEEN, I just love your shows!" to which he replied, "And I love your pianos, Mrs. STEENway!".

Ray Hall, Taree

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<reOdnUcEk9n-OXr8nZ2dnUU7-KvNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35868&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35868

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:40:51 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 05:40 UTC

On 1/19/2022 12:07 AM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 15:04:42 UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.
>>>
>>> Andrew Clarke
>>> Canberra
>> Does Bernsteen sounds more American than Bernstine? I'm asking an Aussie. Most Jewish immigrants came to the U.S. before WW I, so why would they even be afraid of German sounding names? Unless they only started changing the pronunciation during or after WW I. OTOH, I don't know why my own family changed the family name from Begun to Berger around 1930.
>
> Grammatically, BernstEYEne is correct. Of that I am absolutely sure. However, outside of grammatical correctness it is obviously left to the idiosyncrancies of local dialects where ever that may be. StEEn is easier to say btw.

Technically, I don't think pronunciation is part of grammar. There are so many exceptions to every rule in English how could there be a "correct" way to pronounce it? I know what you mean, though. My family's original name Begun, was pronounced, I think, Begoon in Eastern Europe. Clearly, no English speaker would pronounce it that way. I don't know that "Stein" is as clear as that, though. Maybe.

> There is a widely spread story that goes as follows. Lenny once met the wife of the owner of Steinway, and the following was heard, ""Oh Mr. BernSTEEN, I just love your shows!" to which he replied, "And I love your pianos, Mrs. STEENway!".
>
> Ray Hall, Taree

Part of why this is funny is because Stein by itself or to begin a name (I guess) is never pronounced "Steen." So why should stein at the end vary. Why didn't Jewish immigrant named Stein pronounce it Steen?

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<758155ad-4eec-4420-b471-99d658fb9556n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35869&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35869

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:41:10 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 05:41 UTC

On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 10:35:20 PM UTC-5, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

> I once wrote to my old school friend who
> lives in Haifa whose daughter married a
> doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew
> and Yiddish fluently

That's impossible! ;-)

dk

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<4feca1ed-a585-44dd-a19a-12c9416ef046n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35870&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35870

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:44:31 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 05:44 UTC

On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 7:26:39 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 6:39 PM, Dan Koren wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 2:05:54 PM UTC-8, Frank Berger wrote:
> >> I heard a radio announcer pronounce (René)
> >> Leibowitz as Libe-owitz, a la Leonard Berstine.
> >> I always think of these names as with a long e
> >> sound. Bernsteen and Leebowoitz, simply because
> >> I've know people who pronounce the "ei" in their
> >> names that way.
> >>
> >> (I understand the correct way to pronounce
> >> a person's name is as he does).
> >
> > Unfortunately, René is no longer
> > able to provide guidance.
> >
> >> Anyway, Wikipedia seems to think
> >> (René) Leibowitz is pronounced
> >> with a short e as in Lebowitz.
> >>
> >> What is correct? And how do we know?
> >
> > We know because we speak French.
> >
> > Follow the French pronounciation:
> > René Leibowitz (French: [ʁəne lɛbɔwits].
> >
> > The Wikipedia is correct. It is a short
> > e ("ɛ"), not a long e. Give the French
> > their due.
>
> The Leibowitz family was Polish, moving to
> France when René (yay, I made an accent aigu).

You didn't make it. You just copied and pasted it!
Cheat! ;-)

> was 13. Perhaps he pronounced his own name
> with a Polish accent. Not sure why you say a
> short e is the "correct" way to pronounce the
> name in French.

Because this is the way (most) French people
pronounce it.

> Researching the name produced conflicting
> explanations. One source says the "Leib" part
> comes from German for baker, so Leibowutz
> means baker"s son. Other sources say Leib is
> from the Hebrew for heart or love and another
> from the Yiddish for Lion.

Research always leads to more confusion.
Better stick to simple truths! ;-)

dk

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<Gf2dneqVuOfTNHr8nZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35873&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35873

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 01:01:51 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:01 UTC

On 1/19/2022 12:44 AM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 7:26:39 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, René is no longer
>>> able to provide guidance.

>>> We know because we speak French.
>>>
>>> Follow the French pronounciation:
>>> René Leibowitz (French: [ʁəne lɛbɔwits].
>>>
>>> The Wikipedia is correct. It is a short
>>> e ("ɛ"), not a long e. Give the French
>>> their due.
>>
>> The Leibowitz family was Polish, moving to
>> France when René (yay, I made an accent aigu).
>
> You didn't make it. You just copied and pasted it!
> Cheat! ;-)

Nope. cntl-alt e.

>> was 13. Perhaps he pronounced his own name
>> with a Polish accent. Not sure why you say a
>> short e is the "correct" way to pronounce the
>> name in French.
>
> Because this is the way (most) French people
> pronounce it.
>
>> Researching the name produced conflicting
>> explanations. One source says the "Leib" part
>> comes from German for baker, so Leibowutz
>> means baker"s son. Other sources say Leib is
>> from the Hebrew for heart or love and another
>> from the Yiddish for Lion.
>
> Research always leads to more confusion.
> Better stick to simple truths! ;-)
>
> dk

You mean pick a point of view and then stick with it no matter what.

The earth is flat and all evidence to the contrary is fake!

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<3f96fe9c-4058-4056-ab8d-725f64510209n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35874&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35874

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 22:18:07 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:18 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 1:01:59 AM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/19/2022 12:44 AM, Dan Koren wrote:

> >> The Leibowitz family was Polish, moving to
> >> France when René (yay, I made an accent aigu).
> >
> > You didn't make it. You just copied and pasted it!
> > Cheat! ;-)
> >
> Nope. cntl-alt e.
> >> was 13. Perhaps he pronounced his own name
> >> with a Polish accent. Not sure why you say a
> >> short e is the "correct" way to pronounce the
> >> name in French.
> >
> > Because this is the way (most) French people
> > pronounce it.
> >
> >> Researching the name produced conflicting
> >> explanations. One source says the "Leib" part
> >> comes from German for baker, so Leibowutz
> >> means baker"s son. Other sources say Leib is
> >> from the Hebrew for heart or love and another
> >> from the Yiddish for Lion.
> >
> > Research always leads to more confusion.
> > Better stick to simple truths! ;-)
>
> You mean pick a point of view and then
> stick with it no matter what.

Isn't this how many (most?) people act?

> The earth is flat and all evidence to the
> contrary is fake!

There is no evidence to the conrtary!
In fact, the entire universe is flat! As
flat as Texas! Just ask Louie Gohmert! ;-)

dk

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<aeb5e3e0-e30b-4661-91f7-2a2607723c6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35881&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35881

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:18:53 -0800 (PST)
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:18 UTC

I wouldn't trust the Americans' pronunciation of European or indeed international names - they can be very misleading. Examples - Eye-rak for Iraq, Kowsowvow for Kossovo. And Kowlin Powell for Colin etc etc. I suppose it's up to the family to choose how to say their name, but when the original is obvious it's still strange.

For example singer Sara Bareilles appears to be pronounced "Barellis" in the USA, though it's clearly "Barey" in French.

I would pronounce Leibowitz as "Lie - bovitz" following the German tradition that in the case of "ei" you pronounce the last vowel.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<e0d8281a-0cbc-4c10-a47a-b062d1b579f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35883&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35883

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 01:07:47 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewcl...@gmail.com (Andrew Clarke)
 by: Andrew Clarke - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:07 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 3:04:42 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 10:35 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 12:46:40 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:
> >
> >> Every "Bernstein" I've known (quite a few, actually) pronounced it Bernsteen. I always figured Leonard was just trying to be different or fancy or something. Of course, it could be that the family always pronounced it Bernstine. I thought in German it would be pronounced Bernshtine. If so, why would practically all Bernstein families in the U.S. pronounce it Bernsteen? As i said before the correct pronounciation for a name is the way the family pronounces it. When I asked for the correct pronounciation of Leibowitz, I was simply concerned with how he pronounced it.
> >
> > Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.
> >
> > Andrew Clarke
> > Canberra
> Does Bernsteen sounds more American than Bernstine? I'm asking an Aussie. Most Jewish immigrants came to the U.S. before WW I, so why would they even be afraid of German sounding names? Unless they only started changing the pronunciation during or after WW I. OTOH, I don't know why my own family changed the family name from Begun to Berger around 1930.

Maybe they changed the pronunciation after the USA entered the First World War? In South Australia, there were a considerable number of German Lutheran immigrants, and although there was no Lake Wobegon there were several towns with German names that changed them to more English ones during that conflict. Petersburg, then an important railway town, became Peterborough for example, although there are no longer any trains in South Australia outside the Adelaide area, apart from the Sydney-Perth 'Indian Pacific' that runs through Peterborough without stopping, and the Adelaide-Darwin "The Ghan" which doesn't go through Peterborough at all.

Hahndorf, famed for its Schuetzenfest, remains. It's really a booze-up.

I was wondering about the Berger. There is of course a famous Berger in Offenbach's "La Belle Helene" but I think it's pronounced differently: he does, however, get the girl. I see that Begun is from Belorussian "one who runs or walks quickly".

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<nImdnSmNGdR5knX8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35885&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35885

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:19:33 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:19 UTC

On 1/19/2022 4:07 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 3:04:42 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.
>>>
>>> Andrew Clarke
>>> Canberra
>> Does Bernsteen sounds more American than Bernstine? I'm asking an Aussie. Most Jewish immigrants came to the U.S. before WW I, so why would they even be afraid of German sounding names? Unless they only started changing the pronunciation during or after WW I. OTOH, I don't know why my own family changed the family name from Begun to Berger around 1930.
>
> Maybe they changed the pronunciation after the USA entered the First World War? In South Australia, there were a considerable number of German Lutheran immigrants, and although there was no Lake Wobegon there were several towns with German names that changed them to more English ones during that conflict. Petersburg, then an important railway town, became Peterborough for example, although there are no longer any trains in South Australia outside the Adelaide area, apart from the Sydney-Perth 'Indian Pacific' that runs through Peterborough without stopping, and the Adelaide-Darwin "The Ghan" which doesn't go through Peterborough at all.
>
> Hahndorf, famed for its Schuetzenfest, remains. It's really a booze-up.
>
> I was wondering about the Berger. There is of course a famous Berger in Offenbach's "La Belle Helene" but I think it's pronounced differently: he does, however, get the girl. I see that Begun is from Belorussian "one who runs or walks quickly".

There are two approximately equal spellings, almost opposite in meaning. Burger, from Burgher, means city dweller. Berger from the French bergere, means shepherd. I've never heard Berger or Burgher pronounced other than the obvious. There is a German cellist named Julius Berger (b. 1954), which was my grandfather's name. I have a few recordings of him playing Kornkold and Boccherini. Interestingly (?) he lives in Augsburg, Germany, where my cousin Jane Berger is a violinist with the Augsburg Philharmonic.

When considering changing the name from Begun, it's hard to imagine how they came up with Berger. Of course, there is no one to ask.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<3d0bac0d-1057-4268-b51e-fe301f3c68ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35900&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35900

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:30:14 -0800 (PST)
From: cyberi...@hotmail.com (number_six)
 by: number_six - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:30 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 5:19:39 AM UTC-8, Frank Berger

> When considering changing the name from Begun, it's hard to imagine how they came up with Berger. Of course, there is no one to ask.

Like that big band standard "Berger the Begun"?

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<DdWdneT5RK8sGHX8nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35901&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35901

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:42:09 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:42 UTC

On 1/19/2022 4:30 PM, number_six wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 5:19:39 AM UTC-8, Frank Berger
>>
>> When considering changing the name from Begun, it's hard to imagine how they came up with Berger. Of course, there is no one to ask.
>
> Like that big band standard "Berger the Begun"?
LOL!

My father used to say were were the past participle of Menachem Begin.

When doing some genealogy, I came across a guy named Begoon, whose name had been Begun. So I speculate that the family name was pronounced that way in Belarus. On the ship manifest my great aunt spelled the name Beigun. I suppose any Belorussian can tell us the historic pronunciation.

Now my wife's maiden name is Gusinow, alternatively pronounced Goose-in-ow, Guz-in-ow, Goose-in-awe, or Guz-in-awe, take your pick. Now consider that it was probably Gusinoff or Gusinov or.....

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<5IednedH3rdzGHX8nZ2dnUU7-SmdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35902&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35902

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:43:10 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:43 UTC

On 1/19/2022 4:07 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 3:04:42 PM UTC+11, Frank Berger wrote:

>>> Frank, I once wrote to my old school friend who lives in Haifa whose daughter married a doctor and who speaks English, Hebrew and Yiddish fluently, and he cannot think of any good linguistic reason why Jewish Americans should pronounce Bernstein as Bernsteen either. My suggestion was that for very obvious reasons they didn't want their names to sound German. I suppose it could also have been part of a movement to sound more American, cf Moishe --> Murray or Sarah --> Shirley.
>>>
>>> Andrew Clarke
>>> Canberra
>> Does Bernsteen sounds more American than Bernstine? I'm asking an Aussie. Most Jewish immigrants came to the U.S. before WW I, so why would they even be afraid of German sounding names? Unless they only started changing the pronunciation during or after WW I. OTOH, I don't know why my own family changed the family name from Begun to Berger around 1930.
>
> Maybe they changed the pronunciation after the USA entered the First World War? In South Australia, there were a considerable number of German Lutheran immigrants, and although there was no Lake Wobegon there were several towns with German names that changed them to more English ones during that conflict. Petersburg, then an important railway town, became Peterborough for example, although there are no longer any trains in South Australia outside the Adelaide area, apart from the Sydney-Perth 'Indian Pacific' that runs through Peterborough without stopping, and the Adelaide-Darwin "The Ghan" which doesn't go through Peterborough at all.
>
> Hahndorf, famed for its Schuetzenfest, remains. It's really a booze-up.
>
> I was wondering about the Berger. There is of course a famous Berger in Offenbach's "La Belle Helene" but I think it's pronounced differently: he does, however, get the girl. I see that Begun is from Belorussian "one who runs or walks quickly".

I come from a long line of draft dodgers, probably.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<SbqdnawfD723F3X8nZ2dnUU7-eXNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35903&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35903

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 17:01:14 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:01 UTC

On 1/19/2022 3:18 AM, Andy Evans wrote:i
> I wouldn't trust the Americans' pronunciation of European or indeed international names - they can be very misleading

Would you trust Europeans to pronounce Quoque or Aquebooque? How do you think the French would pronounce Boise?

.. Examples - Eye-rak for Iraq, Kowsowvow for Kossovo. And Kowlin Powell for Colin etc etc. I suppose it's up to the family to choose how to say their name, but when the original is obvious it's still strange.

There are ignorant people everywhere. Personally, I've never heard any of those pronunciations except when TV shows want to show ignorant Republicans. And I lived in Texas for 30 years.

> For example singer Sara Bareilles appears to be pronounced "Barellis" in the USA, though it's clearly "Barey" in French.
>
> I would pronounce Leibowitz as "Lie - bovitz" following the German tradition that in the case of "ei" you pronounce the last vowel.

OK, Wikipedia disagrees. Seems to me if the name was supposed to be pronouced vitch or vic it would be spelled that way, not witz.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<EPWdne_N2IFrF3X8nZ2dnUU7-TednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35904&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35904

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 17:04:39 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:04 UTC

On 1/19/2022 3:18 AM, Andy Evans wrote:
> I wouldn't trust the Americans' pronunciation of European or indeed international names - they can be very misleading. Examples - Eye-rak for Iraq, Kowsowvow for Kossovo. And Kowlin Powell for Colin etc etc. I suppose it's up to the family to choose how to say their name, but when the original is obvious it's still strange.
>
> For example singer Sara Bareilles appears to be pronounced "Barellis" in the USA, though it's clearly "Barey" in French.
>
> I would pronounce Leibowitz as "Lie - bovitz" following the German tradition that in the case of "ei" you pronounce the last vowel.

Besides, the only "correct" way to pronounce René Leibowitz's nane is the way he pronouced it.

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<dff662cb-491d-4ab1-a0b8-b85a2cfab26bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35905&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35905

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:26:43 -0800 (PST)
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:26 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:01:22 UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
> Would you trust Europeans to pronounce Quoque or Aquebooque? How do you think the French would pronounce Boise?

The French would pronounce it "bwazay" meaning "wooded".

I have to be honest and say that the English were one of the worst nations for distorting native names. Calcutta for Kolkata , Peking for Beijing, etc etc.

But since Jesus himself was a notorious name changer, I guess we had a role model......

"Your name is Simon? Right, I shall call you Peter...."

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<IC0GJ.208338$6a3.101730@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35911&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35911

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: bob.har...@comcast.net (Bob Harper)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:52:23 -0800
 by: Bob Harper - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:52 UTC

On 1/19/22 1:07 AM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
(snip)
> Maybe they changed the pronunciation after the USA entered the First World War? In South Australia, there were a considerable number of German Lutheran immigrants, and although there was no Lake Wobegon there were several towns with German names that changed them to more English ones during that conflict. Petersburg, then an important railway town, became Peterborough for example, although there are no longer any trains in South Australia outside the Adelaide area, apart from the Sydney-Perth 'Indian Pacific' that runs through Peterborough without stopping, and the Adelaide-Darwin "The Ghan" which doesn't go through Peterborough at all.

My wife is from North Central Wisconsin, and is of 100% German
extraction (Pomerania and northern Bavaria). The cemetery near her home
contains a number of headstones from before WW I, which list dates as
'Geb.' (born) and 'Gestorb.' (died). Those deaths postdating WW I read
'Born' and 'Died', and are anglicized; König became King, and her last
name changed from Bergmann to Bergman.True lots of other places, I suspect.

Bob Harper

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<dI0GJ.208339$6a3.55117@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35912&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35912

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: bob.har...@comcast.net (Bob Harper)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:58:17 -0800
 by: Bob Harper - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:58 UTC

On 1/19/22 2:26 PM, Andy Evans wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:01:22 UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
>> Would you trust Europeans to pronounce Quoque or Aquebooque? How do you think the French would pronounce Boise?
>
> The French would pronounce it "bwazay" meaning "wooded".
>
> I have to be honest and say that the English were one of the worst nations for distorting native names. Calcutta for Kolkata , Peking for Beijing, etc etc.
>
> But since Jesus himself was a notorious name changer, I guess we had a role model......
>
> "Your name is Simon? Right, I shall call you Peter...."

But not until Matthew 16:18. And He had His reasons :)

Bob Hardper

Re: How to pronounce Leibowirz

<K5idnWL3eYPTAHX8nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35913&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35913

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:22:55 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 23:22 UTC

On 1/19/2022 5:26 PM, Andy Evans wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 22:01:22 UTC, Frank Berger wrote:
>> Would you trust Europeans to pronounce Quoque or Aquebooque? How do you think the French would pronounce Boise?
>
> The French would pronounce it "bwazay" meaning "wooded".

Only if the final e had an accent aigu. Otherwise Bwazz.

> I have to be honest and say that the English were one of the worst nations for distorting native names. Calcutta for Kolkata , Peking for Beijing, etc etc.

The ruled everything. They could do whatever they wanted. And since they were and are insufferably ethnocentric and had no respect for the natives they dominated they saw no need for accuracy. I don't know if any of that is true. I'm trolling our local anglophile.

> But since Jesus himself was a notorious name changer, I guess we had a role model......
>
> "Your name is Simon? Right, I shall call you Peter...."

God himself changed Jacob to Israel. You have been one-upped.